Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Do You Get Crisp Sweet Potato Fries?

My first attempt was a twice-fried method as used for regular french
fries. Peeled and cust sweet potatoes into 1.4-inch batons. Using a
deep fat fryer and peanut oil the first fry was at 300 degrees. Second
was at 350 degrees according to the recipe I used. The recipe said the
second fry should only take a minute or so until they browned but after
5 minutes, the potatoes never got brown or crisp. The seasoning was
terrific (mixture of brown sugar, salt cayenne and cinnamon). They
were delicious but not a crispy as a normal white potato french fry.
Anyone know the secret to crispy sweet potato fries?

Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mickey Zalusky wrote in news:120mm5dm6micbe1
@corp.supernews.com:

My first attempt was a twice-fried method as used for regular french
fries. Peeled and cust sweet potatoes into 1.4-inch batons. Using a
deep fat fryer and peanut oil the first fry was at 300 degrees. Second
was at 350 degrees according to the recipe I used. The recipe said the
second fry should only take a minute or so until they browned but after
5 minutes, the potatoes never got brown or crisp. The seasoning was
terrific (mixture of brown sugar, salt cayenne and cinnamon). They
were delicious but not a crispy as a normal white potato french fry.
Anyone know the secret to crispy sweet potato fries?

Mickey Zalusky,

Have you tried using a mandoline that does the waffle cut "twist-
technique" slices?

That should crisp up pretty fast in a deep fryer or baked. I'm guessing.

Andy
Old 05-03-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 05 Mar 2006 02:36:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Andy?

[...]

IME, sweet potatoes never will get as crisp as white potatoes unless you
fry virtually all the moisture out of them, and that's not particularly
desirable. The starch/sugar balance is considerable different between the
two, which accounts for most of the frying difference.

Just my 2˘.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 05-03-2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote in
28.19:

[...]

I dunno either. The only sweet potatoes I eat are the Thanksgiving kind
that come casseroled (?) with or without mini marshmellows melted on top.

Andy
Old 05-03-2006, 10:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 05 Mar 2006 02:55:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Andy?

[...]

One of my favorite restaurants serves up some great hand-cut sweet potato
fries that are nicely browned on the outside and tender inside, but they
are never what I would call crisp. They are delicious. I don't expect
them to be really crisp. It's not the nature of sweet potatoes.

My mom used to make some really terrific pan fried sweet potatoes. She
would slice parboiled fresh sweet potatoes about 3/16" thick, then begin
cooking them in a single layer in a large iron skillet containing small
amounts of bacon fat and butter, turning once or twice. As they were
beginning to brown, she would lightly sprinkle them with granulated sugar,
turn and sprinkle with sugar again, which encouraged caramelization almost
bordering on "burned". A final finish with a few drops of fresh lemon
juice and they were served piping hot. I need to make those sometime!

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Old 05-03-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

So your Mom is/was a family cookin' gourmet cook?!! Mine was too.

Andy

Old 05-03-2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 05 Mar 2006 04:03:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Andy?

[...]

Yes, Mom was one of the best Southern cooks I've ever known. My last food
memory of her was her legendary fresh coconut cake that she baked a few
days before she passed away. She was a great cook and a great teacher (to
me). What was your favorite thing that your Mom cooked?

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 05-03-2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 05 Mar 2006 04:20:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mickey
Zalusky?

Have you tried using a mandoline that does the waffle cut "twist-
technique" slices?

That should crisp up pretty fast in a deep fryer or baked. I'm
guessing.

Andy

IME, sweet potatoes never will get as crisp as white potatoes unless
you fry virtually all the moisture out of them, and that's not
particularly desirable. The starch/sugar balance is considerable
different between the two, which accounts for most of the frying
difference.

Just my 2˘.

I think you're right. When I bake a sweet potato, it has a lot more
moisture than a regular white potato. I've seen recipes for sweet
potato fries make in a hot (400 or 450 degree) oven. I'll probably give
that method a try. Thanks for the comments.

Yes, that might actually work better.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 08-03-2006, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mickey Zalusky wrote:
My first attempt was a twice-fried method as used for regular french
fries. Peeled and cust sweet potatoes into 1.4-inch batons. Using a
deep fat fryer and peanut oil the first fry was at 300 degrees.
Second was at 350 degrees according to the recipe I used. The recipe
said the second fry should only take a minute or so until they
browned but after 5 minutes, the potatoes never got brown or crisp.
The seasoning was terrific (mixture of brown sugar, salt cayenne and
cinnamon). They were delicious but not a crispy as a normal white
potato french fry. Anyone know the secret to crispy sweet potato
fries?

IMHO, they must be cut very thin as in "shoestring" fries. Sweet potatoes
are not the same as white potatoes used in french fries. Sweets are much
more moist.

Have you ever baked a white baking potato and sweet potato? When you split
open the white potato, it's fluffy but a bit dry. Split open the sweet
potato; it's fluffy but moist. So you need a thin cut of the sweet potato
and faster cooking in hot oil, not twice cooking as in 'Belgian' fries.
It's also been my experience with sweet potatoes they absorb oil more easily
so again, thin cut, fried hot and quick. Then drain, season and serve.

Jill

Old 08-03-2006, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Mar 2006 22:52:00 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

IME, sweet potatoes never will get as crisp as white potatoes unless you
fry virtually all the moisture out of them, and that's not particularly
desirable.

Right. Even the ones I've had from a commercial fryer have been a bit
wilty. If you just know to expect it, it's not a big deal.

serene

Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Mar 2006 00:26:13 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

What was your favorite thing that your Mom cooked?

Her matzoh balls, hands down.

No, wait, her chopped liver.

Dammit, maybe it's her spaghetti sauce that takes a day and a half to
cook.

Damn. Hard choices.

(Garlicky lamb roast. Pork-stuffed wontons. Latkes! How could I
forget latkes? Chicken and rice casserole. And on and on and on.)

The other day, I was talking to her on the phone. God, I miss her so
much. We had a lonnnnnng conversation about all my favorite things
that she makes. Some of her own mother's recipes are lost to time,
and I'm trying to learn all of my mom's before I lose her. The one
thing she wished she had learned from her mom is her chopped herring
recipe, and we've decided to try to duplicate it. Too bad we're now
500 miles apart.

serene
Old 08-03-2006, 11:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
serene wrote:

[...]

500 miles is only a 10 hour drive..... :-)
--
Peace, Om.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Every year at thanksgiving, before I deep fry the turkey, I make sweet
potato potato chips. They are always crispy. But I think they are crispy
because they are so thin.

ScottR
Old 09-03-2006, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I haven't tried this, but would it work to dredge the sweet potato
rounds in a little flour or corn starch before frying? I'm thinking the
outer edge would be crispy, and the insides would be soft.

--Lia

Old 09-03-2006, 04:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article ,
serene wrote:

[...]

Just about the nicest thing my mother ever did for me was to give me a
hand-written cookbook containing all the family faves, while she was
still in good enough health to be able to help me when I didn't
understand things. In fact, I made two dishes out of that book for
dinner tonight -- her meatloaf, and my grandmother's stewed potatoes and
onions.

Isaac

Sweet potato fries Gary General Cooking 19 18-07-2012 05:04 PM
Sweet potato french fries? KenK General Cooking 21 27-02-2011 07:16 PM
Sweet Potato Fries Nonny Barbecue 25 03-11-2009 09:14 PM
sweet potato french fries pfoley General Cooking 28 27-08-2006 06:10 PM
To microwave sweet potato w/ Crisp skin Nancree General Cooking 11 06-04-2006 05:43 AM