Nancree

Default To microwave sweet potato w/ Crisp skin

This is, IMO, the best way to cook a sweet potato.
First clean it well. Rub coarse salt all over it. Bake it at 375 degrees or
more until the skin is crisp and the inside feels soft when pricked with a
fork.Salt the inside, too.
Eat it with a piece of the crisp, salted skin in each bite.
If you thought you would never like a sweet potato, try it this way.
Nancree
Marge

I have to say, I tried microwaving potatoes and sweet potatoes these
past weeks, and I'm likin' it! 5 minutes, turn over, another 5 minutes
(on high). Let sit 5 minutes.

Yeff

On 10 Dec 2004 23:11:14 GMT, Nancree wrote:

> Eat it with a piece of the crisp, salted skin in each bite.
> If you thought you would never like a sweet potato, try it this way.

Butter and sugar. It's great as a side for roast pork or ham.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm
Joelle

I'm bad. I like my sweet potatoe with butter and brown sugar.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

quietguy

When I have tried cooking potatoes in my microwave they always turn out
rather rubbery - naturally I dont do this anymore. Is there some secret I
should know? or do others not care about the rubbery texture?

David

Marge wrote:

> I have to say, I tried microwaving potatoes and sweet potatoes these
> past weeks, and I'm likin' it! 5 minutes, turn over, another 5 minutes
> (on high). Let sit 5 minutes.

Brick

On 11-Dec-2004, quietguy > wrote:

> When I have tried cooking potatoes in my microwave they always turn out
> rather rubbery - naturally I dont do this anymore. Is there some secret I
> should know? or do others not care about the rubbery texture?
>
> David
>
> Marge wrote:
>
> > I have to say, I tried microwaving potatoes and sweet potatoes these
> > past weeks, and I'm likin' it! 5 minutes, turn over, another 5 minutes
> > (on high). Let sit 5 minutes.

I double wrap my potatoes, (either sweet of idaho) in dish towells. I've
never experienced that rubber texture you mention. They come out like
half baked and half steamed. They're neither one nor the other. But they
are good and it's fast. As everyone knows, the real McCoy takes up to
an hour.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Brick

On 11-Dec-2004, quietguy > wrote:

> When I have tried cooking potatoes in my microwave they always turn out
> rather rubbery - naturally I dont do this anymore. Is there some secret I
> should know? or do others not care about the rubbery texture?
>
> David
>
> Marge wrote:
>
> > I have to say, I tried microwaving potatoes and sweet potatoes these
> > past weeks, and I'm likin' it! 5 minutes, turn over, another 5 minutes
> > (on high). Let sit 5 minutes.

I double wrap my potatoes, (either sweet of idaho) in dish towells. I've
never experienced that rubber texture you mention. They come out like
half baked and half steamed. They're neither one nor the other. But they
are good and it's fast. As everyone knows, the real McCoy takes up to
an hour.

--
Brick(DL5BF, WA7ERO, HS4ADI)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:18:40 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 11-Dec-2004, quietguy > wrote:
>
>> When I have tried cooking potatoes in my microwave they always turn out
>> rather rubbery - naturally I dont do this anymore. Is there some secret I
>> should know? or do others not care about the rubbery texture?
>>
>> David
>>
>> Marge wrote:
>>
>> > I have to say, I tried microwaving potatoes and sweet potatoes these
>> > past weeks, and I'm likin' it! 5 minutes, turn over, another 5 minutes
>> > (on high). Let sit 5 minutes.

>I double wrap my potatoes, (either sweet of idaho) in dish towells. I've
>never experienced that rubber texture you mention. They come out like
>half baked and half steamed. They're neither one nor the other. But they
>are good and it's fast. As everyone knows, the real McCoy takes up to
>an hour.

Thanks for this great tip. I just found your post and gave it a try.
It was great. Not quite as flakey as baked, as you said, but much
better than in the microwave uncovered and very acceptable.

Thanks

--
For email, use
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 04 Apr 2006 10:19:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LurfysMa?

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:18:40 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>

>>On 11-Dec-2004, quietguy >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> When I have tried cooking potatoes in my microwave they always turn
>>> out rather rubbery - naturally I dont do this anymore. Is there some
>>> secret I should know? or do others not care about the rubbery
>>> texture?
>>>
>>> David

>>I double wrap my potatoes, (either sweet of idaho) in dish towells. I've
>>never experienced that rubber texture you mention. They come out like
>>half baked and half steamed. They're neither one nor the other. But they
>>are good and it's fast. As everyone knows, the real McCoy takes up to an
>>hour.

> Thanks for this great tip. I just found your post and gave it a try.
> It was great. Not quite as flakey as baked, as you said, but much
> better than in the microwave uncovered and very acceptable.

While that method will produce a very edible potato, either white or sweet,
cooking in the microwave will never produce a potato with *crisp* skin.
You can improve it by putting the finished potato in a very hot toaster
oven for bit before serving.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Apr 2006 11:56:42 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue 04 Apr 2006 10:19:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LurfysMa?
>
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:18:40 GMT, "Brick" >
>> wrote:

>>>I double wrap my potatoes, (either sweet of idaho) in dish towells. I've
>>>never experienced that rubber texture you mention. They come out like
>>>half baked and half steamed. They're neither one nor the other. But they
>>>are good and it's fast. As everyone knows, the real McCoy takes up to an
>>>hour.

>> Thanks for this great tip. I just found your post and gave it a try.
>> It was great. Not quite as flakey as baked, as you said, but much
>> better than in the microwave uncovered and very acceptable.

>While that method will produce a very edible potato, either white or sweet,
>cooking in the microwave will never produce a potato with *crisp* skin.
>You can improve it by putting the finished potato in a very hot toaster
>oven for bit before serving.

I rarely eat the skin anyway. Maybe I should start.

--
For email, use
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue 04 Apr 2006 10:19:12p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it LurfysMa?
>
> > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:18:40 GMT, "Brick" >
> > wrote:

> >>I double wrap my potatoes, (either sweet of idaho) in dish towells. I've
> >>never experienced that rubber texture you mention. They come out like
> >>half baked and half steamed. They're neither one nor the other. But they
> >>are good and it's fast. As everyone knows, the real McCoy takes up to an
> >>hour.

> > Thanks for this great tip. I just found your post and gave it a try.
> > It was great. Not quite as flakey as baked, as you said, but much
> > better than in the microwave uncovered and very acceptable.

> While that method will produce a very edible potato, either white or sweet,
> cooking in the microwave will never produce a potato with *crisp* skin.
> You can improve it by putting the finished potato in a very hot toaster
> oven for bit before serving.

The other thing microwaving will never do -- with a sweet potato -- is
allow the sugars to develop. I love baked sweet potato with butter, but
they're nowhere near as sweet if you nuke them. Try one in the oven for
about an hour, until it's really soft, cut it open and add butter, and
see if you don't agree.

Poke some holes in it with a fork, and put a pan or a piece of foil
under it to catch the burned drips.

Isaac