Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Do You Get Crisp Sweet Potato Fries?

On Sun 05 Mar 2006 04:03:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Andy?

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
> 28.19:
>
>> On Sun 05 Mar 2006 02:55:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Andy?
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
>>> 28.19:

>>> Wayne,
>>>
>>> I dunno either. The only sweet potatoes I eat are the Thanksgiving
>>> kind that come casseroled (?) with or without mini marshmellows
>>> melted on top.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> One of my favorite restaurants serves up some great hand-cut sweet
>> potato fries that are nicely browned on the outside and tender inside,
>> but they are never what I would call crisp. They are delicious. I
>> don't expect them to be really crisp. It's not the nature of sweet
>> potatoes.
>>
>> My mom used to make some really terrific pan fried sweet potatoes.
>> She would slice parboiled fresh sweet potatoes about 3/16" thick, then
>> begin cooking them in a single layer in a large iron skillet
>> containing small amounts of bacon fat and butter, turning once or
>> twice. As they were beginning to brown, she would lightly sprinkle
>> them with granulated sugar, turn and sprinkle with sugar again, which
>> encouraged caramelization almost bordering on "burned". A final
>> finish with a few drops of fresh lemon juice and they were served
>> piping hot. I need to make those sometime!

> So your Mom is/was a family cookin' gourmet cook?!! Mine was too.

Yes, Mom was one of the best Southern cooks I've ever known. My last food
memory of her was her legendary fresh coconut cake that she baked a few
days before she passed away. She was a great cook and a great teacher (to
me). What was your favorite thing that your Mom cooked?

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA