Old 27-01-2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Default REQ: Beef Chuck Cross Rib Roast

I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Old 27-01-2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article 9,
Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

You're pulling our legs, right?

What did you pay for this?

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Old 27-01-2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

Then you bought the wrong cut of chuck, of all chuck cuts this is the
least favorable to prepare any other way but braised. The only other
cooking methods are to grind it for great burgers or trim away the
fat/bone and cut into thin strips or small cubes, marinate, and stir
fry.

http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/c...tcutsbeef.html

Old 27-01-2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Donald Martinich

In article 9,
Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

I do these fairly often. They're one of the better beef roast buys
around my part of the world (Sac. CA). Just season it and roast it at
325 to 350F. until it's where you like it on the rare-well continuum.
They are not as tender as filet, but if you slice thin they are just
fine. They are not fatty but still flavorful.

D.M.
Old 27-01-2006, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

Wayne Boatwright տլ

I'd never heard of this beef cut prior to this post but a brief search
took me to the Cook's Thesaurus and this is what they have to say:

"cross rib roast = cross rib pot roast = Boston cut = English cut roast
= English roast = thick rib roast = bread and butter cut = beef chuck
cross rib pot roast Notes: If boneless, this is sometimes called an
English roll. This makes a fine pot roast, but it's too tough to roast
with dry heat."

It seems per Sheldon's recommendation that braising would be your best
bet. Kev

Old 27-01-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 05:52:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?

In article 9,
Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
want.

You're pulling our legs, right?

I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for tender
meat. Is that impossible?

What did you pay for this?

$2.99/lb.

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Old 27-01-2006, 04:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 06:38:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Donald
Martinich?

In article 9,
Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
want.

I do these fairly often. They're one of the better beef roast buys
around my part of the world (Sac. CA). Just season it and roast it at
325 to 350F. until it's where you like it on the rare-well continuum.
They are not as tender as filet, but if you slice thin they are just
fine. They are not fatty but still flavorful.

D.M.

Thank you, Donald.

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Old 27-01-2006, 04:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 06:47:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kevnbro?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
cut ? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
want.

Wayne Boatwright տլ

I'd never heard of this beef cut prior to this post but a brief search
took me to the Cook's Thesaurus and this is what they have to say:

"cross rib roast = cross rib pot roast = Boston cut = English cut roast
= English roast = thick rib roast = bread and butter cut = beef chuck
cross rib pot roast Notes: If boneless, this is sometimes called an
English roll. This makes a fine pot roast, but it's too tough to roast
with dry heat."

It seems per Sheldon's recommendation that braising would be your best
bet. Kev

Yes, after a bit more googling, I'm inclined to agree. Slow, moist
cooking seems to be the answer, so pot roasting or braising it will be. I
think braising this time, as I didn't really want pot roast.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ

Old 27-01-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article 9,
Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 05:52:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?

In article 9,
Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender
cut? I know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I
want.

You're pulling our legs, right?

I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for tender
meat. Is that impossible?

Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

What did you pay for this?

$2.99/lb.

Sounds good to me.

I think your choices are to pot roast (braise it) or have tough meat.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Old 27-01-2006, 05:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan Abel" wrote in message

I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for
tender
meat. Is that impossible?

Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different flavor.
There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked properly. Come over
and try my brisket sometime.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old 27-01-2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 09:37:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Abel?

[...]

Thanks... I've been coming to that conclusion.

--
Wayne Boatwright oo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 27-01-2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 26 Jan 2006 10:14:25p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

"Dan Abel" wrote in message

I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for
tender meat. Is that impossible?

Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different flavor.
There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked properly. Come
over and try my brisket sometime.

I agree. If it's tough, then either the method and/or timing is wrong.

I always seem to get hung up on the term "pot roast", immediately
associating it with a pot roast and potatoes, carrots, celery, onions,
etc., while I really do know that pot roasting is a method. Probably the
best one for the cut of meat I bought.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright oo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 27-01-2006, 01:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook

On 27 Jan 2006 01:17:54 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

TIA

I have always prepared chuck roast by browning each side (stovetop or
broiler.) Then I set the heat for about 250F, cover the pot and
cook until it is falling apart. Needs to be well done.
--
Susan N.

Old 27-01-2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
L'Esprance

"Dan Abel" wrote in message

I didn't mean a way to cook it like prime rib. Just a good recipe for
tender meat. Is that impossible?

Pretty much. This is a tough cut of meat.

Pot roast it. Very tender. Tender as prime rib, but a different flavor.
There is no such thing as a tough cut of beef if cooked properly. Come
over and try my brisket sometime.

I agree. If it's tough, then either the method and/or timing is wrong.

I always seem to get hung up on the term "pot roast", immediately
associating it with a pot roast and potatoes, carrots, celery, onions,
etc., while I really do know that pot roasting is a method. Probably the
best one for the cut of meat I bought.

There are a couple of ways I would do this cut of meat. As you
mentioned, pot roast style with the meat on the trinity sans potatoes
and cooked low and slow would give good results. Pressure cooking the
meat will give equally moist and tender results in a lot less time.
Either way the trinity is important for flavour and moisture. I
wouldn't add potatoes to the pot roast until near the end of the
roasting. Let them roast until cooked through then raise the temp to brown.
Old 27-01-2006, 01:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article 9,
Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I just bought one of these at Costco that weights in at just under four
pounds. Does anyone have a recipe that turns this into a fork-tender cut? I
know I could make pot roast with it, but that's not what I want.

TIA

Cub's got those on sale for $2.58/lb this week, along with chuck blades
and eye rounds. From the chuck it will need moist heat.

You don't want pot roast, cut it in chunks and make stew. Pot roast in
another form. :-) How about Beef Bourguignonne? Stewed beef with
red wine. Cook the beef chunks and freeze in broth for later
transformation into something like -- beef stew, beef in gravy over rice
or noodles, fake stroganoff. (See a pattern here?)

http://tinyurl.com/e4ahe
EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNONNE (from Cooks.com)

Approx. 3 lbs. beef (potting, stewing)
2 cans Golden mushroom soup
1 env. Lipton onion soup
1 c. burgundy wine
1 can mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)

Place all above ingredients, except mushrooms in large covered pot and
bake at 300 degrees for about 3 hours. Fifteen minutes before finished,
put in fresh mushrooms and, if you like, some baby carrots which have
been partially cooked and which will complete cooking in the last 15
minutes. Serve over rice or noodles or with mashed potatoes.
Approximately 6 to 8 servings.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew