Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cross rib roast (help)

about 4-5 pounds. haven't got a clue what to do with it. rather not
use a crock pot / slow cooker, but the truth is I have no experience
with this cut, or any 'roast' for that matter.

there is a recipe floating on the net that starts with rubbing it with
balsamic, among other things....

anyone have any pointers?

(I'm a roast newbie)

thanks,
-dan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 4:53?pm, "Cshenk" > wrote:
> "dan" wrote in message
> > about 4-5 pounds. haven't got a clue what to do with it. rather not
> > use a crock pot / slow cooker, but the truth is I have no experience
> > with this cut, or any 'roast' for that matter.

> > there is a recipe floating on the net that starts with rubbing it with
> > balsamic, among other things....

> > anyone have any pointers?

> > (I'm a roast newbie)

> Dan, here's 2 that look interesting.
>

> Title: STANDING RIB ROAST WITH HERBED CRUST

Um, cross rib roast is chuck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

dan wrote:

> about 4-5 pounds. haven't got a clue what to do with it. rather not
> use a crock pot / slow cooker, but the truth is I have no experience
> with this cut, or any 'roast' for that matter.
>
> there is a recipe floating on the net that starts with rubbing it with
> balsamic, among other things....
>
> anyone have any pointers?
>
> (I'm a roast newbie)

I've used a Bruce Aidells recipe to good effect, which someone
has posted here.

http://www.samcooks.com/ask/ask_meat1.htm

The book it comes from, "The Complete Meat Cookbook", is quite
good BTW.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 10:38 am, dan > wrote:
> about 4-5 pounds. haven't got a clue what to do with it. rather not
> use a crock pot / slow cooker, but the truth is I have no experience
> with this cut, or any 'roast' for that matter.
>
> there is a recipe floating on the net that starts with rubbing it with
> balsamic, among other things....
>
> anyone have any pointers?
>
> (I'm a roast newbie)
>
> thanks,
> -dan

You've been given several suggestions/recipes on how to cook a
"standing rib roast", which is clearly not the cut of roast you have.
A cross rib roast best fits in a "pot roast" category and they are
truly delicious if cooked properly. I have seen the recipe you refer
to, and I think it would be very tasty. Otherwise, almost any recipe
for pot roast would work with this cut.

Wayne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dan" wrote in message

> about 4-5 pounds. haven't got a clue what to do with it. rather not
> use a crock pot / slow cooker, but the truth is I have no experience
> with this cut, or any 'roast' for that matter.
>
> there is a recipe floating on the net that starts with rubbing it with
> balsamic, among other things....
>
> anyone have any pointers?
>
> (I'm a roast newbie)

Dan, here's 2 that look interesting.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: STANDING RIB ROAST WITH HERBED CRUST
Categories: Beef, Meats
Yield: 6 To 8 serv.

1 Standing rib roast (7-8 lbs)
-(about 3 or 4 ribs)
1/2 c Fresh thyme leaves; chopped
-(reserve stems)
4 Garlic cloves; peeled and
-cut into slivers
1 tb Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 ts Salt
1 c ;water
2 To 3 tablespoons flour
-optional

Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Dry the roast thoroughly. Lightly
score the fat, then rub the whole roast with the reserved thyme
stems. Rub the face and underside of the roast with half of the
garlic slivers. Rub the whole roast with the pepper and salt. Pierce
the fat layer just enough to insert the remaining garlic slivers--do
not pierce into the flesh. Pat and press the thyme leaves into the
scored layer of fat. Place the roast bones down in a shallow roasting
pan just large enough to hold it comfortably. Insert a meat
thermometer in the top of the roast; make sure it is not touching
bone.

Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and
roast until done to your liking: 125-130 degrees for rare, 140-150
degrees for medium, and 160-165 degrees for well done. Count on
cooking times approximately as follows: For rare, cooking time is
12-15 minutes per pound; medium, 15-18 per pound; well-done, 18-20
minutes per pound.

Remove the roast from the oven and place it on a carving board. Let it
stand, loosely covered with aluminum foil, for 15 minutes before
carving.

Meanwhile, skim all but a few tablespoons of fat from the juices in
the roasting pan. Place the pan over medium heat; add 1/2 cup of the
water and stir to deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits clinging to
the bottom of the pan. Add the remaining water. This juice can be
served with the roast. For a flour based gravy, stir in the optional
flour until it browns before adding the 1/4 cup of water.

To carve, place on a carving board or platter, and cut away the bones.
Place the roast cut-side down on the board and carve into 1/2- to
3/4-inch-thick slices. Serves 6 to 8. Source: San Francisco Chronicle,
12/20/95.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: MUSTARD-COATED RIB ROAST WITH HORSERADISH SAUCE
Categories: Main dish, Meats
Yield: 8 Servings

1 4-6 lb. Beef Rib Roast
- (bone-in), fat cover
- trimmed to 1/8-inch thick
1 1/2 tb Paprika
1 tb Crushed black peppercorns
1 tb Coase salt
1 tb Dried oregano, crumbled
1 tb Dried thyme, crumbled
2 ts Celery seeds
1 ts Cayenne pepper
2 tb Dijon mustard
2 tb Grated onion
2 Garlic cloves; pressed

MMMMM---------------------HORSERADISH SAUCE--------------------------
1/2 c Grated radishes
3 tb Prepared horseradish
2 tb Dijon mustard
1 ts Sugar
1/2 c Chilled whipping cream
-- whipped to stiff peaks
Salt and pepper

Mix first 7 dry ingredients in a small bowl. Mix mustard, onion, and
garlic in another small bowl. Rub mustard mixture over meat. Sprinkle
the spice mixture over roast surface. Cover and refrigerate for 2
hours before cooking. Or, if time allows, for a "cured" flavor, let
seasoned roast stand in refrigerator overnight before cooking. Place
roast, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan in a 325
degree F oven for 2 1/4 hours or 26-30 min./lb. Remove from oven when
meat thermometer inserted in center, not touching bone or fat,
registers 135 degrees F for med-rare or 150 degrees F for medium
doneness. Let roast stand tented with foil for 15 min. before carving.

Serve with Horseradish Sauce (recipe below). Serves 8 to 12.

Horseradish Sauce: Mix grated radishes, horseradish, mustard and
sugar in a small bowl. Just before serving, pour radish mixture over
whipped cream and fold together gently.

Serve with sliced beef roast. Makes 2 cups.

* COOKFDN brings you this recipe with permission from: * Texas Beef
Council -- http://www.txbeef.org

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne...

do you mean this one?

>>>'Ive used a Bruce Aidells recipe to good effect, which someone

has posted here.

http://www.samcooks.com/ask/ask_meat1.htm

The book it comes from, "The Complete Meat Cookbook", is quite
good BTW.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dan > wrote:
> about 4-5 pounds. haven't got a clue what to do with it. rather not
> use a crock pot / slow cooker, but the truth is I have no experience
> with this cut, or any 'roast' for that matter.

Cross rib roast is "chuck", makes a very good pot roast.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan, sorry. Apparently I misunderstood the cut you meant and gave the wrong
recipes. Oh well, I tried!

The one you have is for long slow cooking for best effect. Normally in very
little liquid as it makes it's own.

While balsalmic vinegar sounds a little odd, it might work well as i often
add a little vinegar to tenderize. If you do that, keep the vegetables you
plan to add, to ones that work well with a little vinegar if you plan to eat
them too.

I also agree witht he person who said they have rotisseried a cut like that
but watch the drip pan or r may overflow. I've done the rotisserie route
but cut the 'pot roast' down to more like thick steaks, marinaded in a
vinegar based way and put them in the basket. I like them long cooked at a
lower temp setting (say 250).

Here's something else I've done with that cut. While not the 'recommended
cut for this' we happen to like it. Got a dehydrator? We make our own
semi-dry jerky (stored in the fridge). If it's frozen, patly thaw to make
it easier to cut. If it's not frozen, it's easier to cut if you partly
freeze it first. Spice/marinade the slices with vinegar and worstershire
then we add a little hot sauce (cholula with the wooden ball is the one we
like). For 'real jerky' this cut is too fatty but heck, we eat alot of it
right out the dehyradtor as it's going and it'ssoft enough for my husband's
bad teeth (grin).

"dan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> about 4-5 pounds. haven't got a clue what to do with it. rather not
> use a crock pot / slow cooker, but the truth is I have no experience
> with this cut, or any 'roast' for that matter.
>
> there is a recipe floating on the net that starts with rubbing it with
> balsamic, among other things....
>
> anyone have any pointers?
>
> (I'm a roast newbie)
>
> thanks,
> -dan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 5:11 pm, "Cshenk" > wrote:
> Dan, sorry. Apparently I misunderstood the cut you meant and gave the wrong
> recipes. Oh well, I tried!
>
> The one you have is for long slow cooking for best effect. Normally in very
> little liquid as it makes it's own.
>
> While balsalmic vinegar sounds a little odd, it might work well as i often
> add a little vinegar to tenderize. If you do that, keep the vegetables you
> plan to add, to ones that work well with a little vinegar if you plan to eat
> them too.
>
> I also agree witht he person who said they have rotisseried a cut like that
> but watch the drip pan or r may overflow. I've done the rotisserie route
> but cut the 'pot roast' down to more like thick steaks, marinaded in a
> vinegar based way and put them in the basket. I like them long cooked at a
> lower temp setting (say 250).
>
> Here's something else I've done with that cut. While not the 'recommended
> cut for this' we happen to like it. Got a dehydrator? We make our own
> semi-dry jerky (stored in the fridge). If it's frozen, patly thaw to make
> it easier to cut. If it's not frozen, it's easier to cut if you partly
> freeze it first. Spice/marinade the slices with vinegar and worstershire
> then we add a little hot sauce (cholula with the wooden ball is the one we
> like). For 'real jerky' this cut is too fatty but heck, we eat alot of it
> right out the dehyradtor as it's going and it'ssoft enough for my husband's
> bad teeth (grin).
>
> "dan" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > about 4-5 pounds. haven't got a clue what to do with it. rather not
> > use a crock pot / slow cooker, but the truth is I have no experience
> > with this cut, or any 'roast' for that matter.

> > there is a recipe floating on the net that starts with rubbing it with
> > balsamic, among other things....

> > anyone have any pointers?

> > (I'm a roast newbie)

> > thanks,
> > -dan- Hide quoted text -

a rib roast is one of the best roasts you can buy, sometimes called a
prime rib/standing rib roast or delmonaco roast
good rule of thumb with most beef roasts ..is 20 mins per lb at 350

if using a thermometer 135 for rare, 149-145 for medium rare

remember to let it "set" for at least ten minutes before you carve it
(the internal temp will rise 5-10 degrees while setting)

personall, i just salt/pepper/garlic and roast uncovered

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 5:11 pm, "Cshenk" > wrote:
> Dan, sorry. Apparently I misunderstood the cut you meant and gave the wrong
> recipes. Oh well, I tried!
>
> The one you have is for long slow cooking for best effect. Normally in very
> little liquid as it makes it's own.
>
> While balsalmic vinegar sounds a little odd, it might work well as i often
> add a little vinegar to tenderize. If you do that, keep the vegetables you
> plan to add, to ones that work well with a little vinegar if you plan to eat
> them too.
>
> I also agree witht he person who said they have rotisseried a cut like that
> but watch the drip pan or r may overflow. I've done the rotisserie route
> but cut the 'pot roast' down to more like thick steaks, marinaded in a
> vinegar based way and put them in the basket. I like them long cooked at a
> lower temp setting (say 250).
>
> Here's something else I've done with that cut. While not the 'recommended
> cut for this' we happen to like it. Got a dehydrator? We make our own
> semi-dry jerky (stored in the fridge). If it's frozen, patly thaw to make
> it easier to cut. If it's not frozen, it's easier to cut if you partly
> freeze it first. Spice/marinade the slices with vinegar and worstershire
> then we add a little hot sauce (cholula with the wooden ball is the one we
> like). For 'real jerky' this cut is too fatty but heck, we eat alot of it
> right out the dehyradtor as it's going and it'ssoft enough for my husband's
> bad teeth (grin).
>
> "dan" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > about 4-5 pounds. haven't got a clue what to do with it. rather not
> > use a crock pot / slow cooker, but the truth is I have no experience
> > with this cut, or any 'roast' for that matter.

> > there is a recipe floating on the net that starts with rubbing it with
> > balsamic, among other things....

> > anyone have any pointers?

> > (I'm a roast newbie)

> > thanks,
> > -dan- Hide quoted text -

oops,,i guess after reading the other posts, i got my roasts mixed,
different meat terminology in different regions.
if its a cross cut, roast past the 7th rib,,then you are in the chuck,
which also can be a very good roast.

PING: Serene - How was your cross rib roast? Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 3 20-05-2010 06:35 PM
Cross rib roast suggestions? Serene Vannoy General Cooking 36 18-05-2010 04:01 AM
Cross Rib Roast RegForte Barbecue 23 17-08-2009 08:21 PM
REQ: Beef Chuck Cross Rib Roast Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 38 28-01-2006 10:25 AM
Cross Rib Roast in WSM Blues Lyne Barbecue 6 16-03-2004 11:13 PM