Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

Default Thanksgiving Menu

On 23 Nov 2005 06:38:09 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> replied to me:

>Your niece and her roommate are going to have a wonderful meal with you!
>Nothing wrong with the special requests. Nice homey fare that evokes fond
>memories and dinners of years gone by are part of the charm of a holiday
>meal.

Yeah, I remember when creamed corn was something to look forward to,
not run away from.

I miss my mom's jello. She'd make cherry jello and let it set
partway. Then she'd whip some (real) cream and fold it into the jello
and refrigerate it until firm. Now we make Watergate Salad instead.
Crash doesn't eat jello, and he LOVES the WS. So I've adapted.

If we had a large crew over, we'd have done the carrots, celery,
pickles and olives thing, but this is already a lot of food for four
people.

I can live without all the esoteric and far-flung recipes at this
>time of year. Maybe I'm in my dotage, but I like tradition.

I'm a down-home kinda cook, myself. When food is too fancy, I'm
scared of it. LOL!

Short trip down memory lane ...

When we had special meals, about 17 leaves would be added to the
table, so as to host everyone in the dining room. Including the kids.
Two generations of them. Mom had beautiful linen tablecloths, some of
which she had hand embroidered. She set the table with her fine china
and crystal stemware. There were even linen napkins.

Then ...

When someone wanted a dinner roll, they'd say, "Toss me a roll!" And
someone would pitch a roll across the table like they were playing pro
baseball. One year, Dad beaned one of my nieces in the forehead by
mistake. She cried and cried. That was fun.

We really had to keep a close eye on my daughter when the relish
dishes went around. One year, I passed the olive dish to my toddler
kidlette,turned my back, and before anyone noticed, she had put a
black olive on each of her fingertips. <G>

The good ol' days ...

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Wayne wrote:

> I can live without all the esoteric and far-flung recipes at this
> time of year. Maybe I'm in my dotage, but I like tradition.

I try to follow a middle ground: I *hate* to get into a rut, and refuse to
do it, so I try to put a different twist on just about everything each year.
At the same time, I don't want to fall prey to the other extreme, e.g.,
having a Bantu Thanksgiving of roasted insect grubs and stewed grass just
for the sake of being different.

My guests seem pretty well satisfied with my approach so far, and I am too.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Nov 2005 11:03:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 23 Nov 2005 06:38:09 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > replied to me:
>
>>Your niece and her roommate are going to have a wonderful meal with you!
>>Nothing wrong with the special requests. Nice homey fare that evokes

fond
>>memories and dinners of years gone by are part of the charm of a holiday
>>meal.

> Yeah, I remember when creamed corn was something to look forward to,
> not run away from.
>
> I miss my mom's jello. She'd make cherry jello and let it set
> partway. Then she'd whip some (real) cream and fold it into the jello
> and refrigerate it until firm. Now we make Watergate Salad instead.
> Crash doesn't eat jello, and he LOVES the WS. So I've adapted.
>
> If we had a large crew over, we'd have done the carrots, celery,
> pickles and olives thing, but this is already a lot of food for four
> people.
>
> I can live without all the esoteric and far-flung recipes at this
>>time of year. Maybe I'm in my dotage, but I like tradition.

> I'm a down-home kinda cook, myself. When food is too fancy, I'm
> scared of it. LOL!
>
> Short trip down memory lane ...
>
> When we had special meals, about 17 leaves would be added to the
> table, so as to host everyone in the dining room. Including the kids.
> Two generations of them. Mom had beautiful linen tablecloths, some of
> which she had hand embroidered. She set the table with her fine china
> and crystal stemware. There were even linen napkins.
>
> Then ...
>
> When someone wanted a dinner roll, they'd say, "Toss me a roll!" And
> someone would pitch a roll across the table like they were playing pro
> baseball. One year, Dad beaned one of my nieces in the forehead by
> mistake. She cried and cried. That was fun.
>
> We really had to keep a close eye on my daughter when the relish
> dishes went around. One year, I passed the olive dish to my toddler
> kidlette,turned my back, and before anyone noticed, she had put a
> black olive on each of her fingertips. <G>
>
> The good ol' days ...

Very much like my good ol' days, Carol. Thanks for the memories!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Nov 2005 11:08:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
Terwilliger?

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> I can live without all the esoteric and far-flung recipes at this time
>> of year. Maybe I'm in my dotage, but I like tradition.

> I try to follow a middle ground: I *hate* to get into a rut, and refuse
> to do it, so I try to put a different twist on just about everything
> each year. At the same time, I don't want to fall prey to the other
> extreme, e.g., having a Bantu Thanksgiving of roasted insect grubs and
> stewed grass just for the sake of being different.
>
> My guests seem pretty well satisfied with my approach so far, and I am
> too.

Well, I have to admit that I've "adjusted" many of my holiday recipes over
the years, and occasionally will add something new, but nothing so strange
as to seem out of place.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Damsel wrote:

> I miss my mom's jello. She'd make cherry jello and let it set
> partway. Then she'd whip some (real) cream and fold it into the jello
> and refrigerate it until firm. Now we make Watergate Salad instead.
> Crash doesn't eat jello, and he LOVES the WS. So I've adapted.

I miss *my* mom's jell-o. She'd make lime jell-o, let it set partway, then
beat cream cheese into the jell-o and fold in some crushed pineapple and big
chunks of walnuts.

Or maybe she put the cream cheese in while the jell-o was still hot? I don't
know.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 23 Nov 2005 00:23:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Damsel wrote:
>
>> I miss my mom's jello. She'd make cherry jello and let it set
>> partway. Then she'd whip some (real) cream and fold it into the jello
>> and refrigerate it until firm. Now we make Watergate Salad instead.
>> Crash doesn't eat jello, and he LOVES the WS. So I've adapted.

>I miss *my* mom's jell-o. She'd make lime jell-o, let it set partway, then
>beat cream cheese into the jell-o and fold in some crushed pineapple and big
>chunks of walnuts.
>
>Or maybe she put the cream cheese in while the jell-o was still hot? I don't
>know.

Here's one that's close. Just leave the cottage cheese out:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pacific Lime Mold

Recipe By :Jeri Heth
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : salads-dressings

2 cups boiling water
2 packages lime gelatin powder
20 ounces crushed pineapple in juice -- drain/save juice
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup cream -- whipped
2 cups cottage cheese
pineapple -- see above
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Dissolve gelatin in water. Add juices.
Chill until slightly thickened. Beat until frothy.
Fold in the whipped cream (or 8 oz. Cool Whip), cottage cheese,
pineapple, and pecans.
Chill until set.

Source:
"rec.food.cooking"
Copyright:
"1/29/2000"

And here's another:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lime Jello Salad

Recipe By :Nancy Dooley
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : desserts salads-dressings

16 large marshmallows
1 cup milk
1 small package lime gelatin powder
6 ounces cream cheese
1 #2 can crushed pineapple in juice
1 cup whipping cream -- whipped
2/3 cup mayonnaise

Put marshmallows milk into top of double boiler over simmering water.
Stir until the marshmallows are melted and incorporated into the milk.
Sprinkle jello into the hot mixture, and stir until dissolved. Add
cream cheese, cut into small bits. Stir until the cream cheese is
melted and mixed in. You might have to remove the mixture from the
stove to prevent burning. Add in pineapple WITH juice.

Mix whipped cream and mayonnaise. Mix all together and chill until
firm. Cut into squares and serve.

Source:
"rec.food.cooking"
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Nov 2005 11:23:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
Terwilliger?

> Damsel wrote:
>
>> I miss my mom's jello. She'd make cherry jello and let it set
>> partway. Then she'd whip some (real) cream and fold it into the jello
>> and refrigerate it until firm. Now we make Watergate Salad instead.
>> Crash doesn't eat jello, and he LOVES the WS. So I've adapted.

> I miss *my* mom's jell-o. She'd make lime jell-o, let it set partway,
> then beat cream cheese into the jell-o and fold in some crushed
> pineapple and big chunks of walnuts.
>
> Or maybe she put the cream cheese in while the jell-o was still hot? I
> don't know.
>
> Bob

My mom made one like that, too, except that she used sour cream instead of
cream cheese, and chunks of pecans instead of walnuts. I've got the recipe
somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it right now.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On 23 Nov 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 22 Nov 2005 11:23:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
> Terwilliger?
>
> > Damsel wrote:
> >
> >> I miss my mom's jello. She'd make cherry jello and let it set
> >> partway. Then she'd whip some (real) cream and fold it into the jello
> >> and refrigerate it until firm. Now we make Watergate Salad instead.
> >> Crash doesn't eat jello, and he LOVES the WS. So I've adapted.

> > I miss *my* mom's jell-o. She'd make lime jell-o, let it set partway,
> > then beat cream cheese into the jell-o and fold in some crushed
> > pineapple and big chunks of walnuts.
> >
> > Or maybe she put the cream cheese in while the jell-o was still hot? I
> > don't know.
> >
> > Bob

> My mom made one like that, too, except that she used sour cream instead of
> cream cheese, and chunks of pecans instead of walnuts. I've got the recipe
> somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it right now.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

My mom still makes that jello. She uses orange jello - set - then beats it
with the mixer adding in fresh beaten whipping cream and crushed pineapple
and tops the whole thing with several inches of whipped cream and topped
with pecans. yum.

What is Watergate Salad? Sounds like: you go out and steal the ingredients
and eat it while chanting "I am not a crook!" <g>

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:52:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
Parrish?

> On 23 Nov 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Tue 22 Nov 2005 11:23:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
>> Terwilliger?

>> > I miss *my* mom's jell-o. She'd make lime jell-o, let it set partway,
>> > then beat cream cheese into the jell-o and fold in some crushed
>> > pineapple and big chunks of walnuts.
>> >
>> > Or maybe she put the cream cheese in while the jell-o was still hot?
>> > I don't know.
>> >
>> > Bob

>> My mom made one like that, too, except that she used sour cream instead
>> o f cream cheese, and chunks of pecans instead of walnuts. I've got
>> the reci pe somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it right now.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!
>>

> My mom still makes that jello. She uses orange jello - set - then beats
> it with the mixer adding in fresh beaten whipping cream and crushed
> pineapple and tops the whole thing with several inches of whipped cream
> and topped with pecans. yum.
>
> What is Watergate Salad? Sounds like: you go out and steal the
> ingredients and eat it while chanting "I am not a crook!" <g>

Carol will have to answer about the salad, but your response was priceless!
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Marge

>Go Bears! I was in college during the legendary trombone player
>trampling.

>turkey breast wrapped in bacon, stuffed with herbs, prosciutto and
>garlic
>mashed potatoes (made with a little buttermilk, gives 'em tang)
>stuffing with pullman bread, toasted pecans, dried cherries and herbs
>sauted asparagus with shallots
>candied carrots
>bottle of champagne
>sweet potato pie

I'll be needing the directions to your house ...

Carol
______________________

heh heh, make a right at the Brooklyn Bridge. I only have the sweet
potato pie once a year, so I'm really looking forward to that! Have a
good one, Marge

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Marge

Carol, I don't think you need to go to anybody's house, you've got it
going on! I made cloverleaf rolls a couple of years, but it turned out
to be a lot of food for us, they're delicious. I remember eating cream
corn growing up all the time. ha. what do you put in your Jill's
Turkey Cottage Pie?

I agree that it's nice to keep it simple and traditional.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:52:54 -0600, Elaine Parrish >
wrote:

>What is Watergate Salad? Sounds like: you go out and steal the ingredients
>and eat it while chanting "I am not a crook!" <g>

Naw, it's more like, "I am not a cook." <G>

* Exported from MasterCook *

Watergate Salad

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : comfort foods desserts
salads-dressings Thanksgiving

1 package instant pistachio pudding mix -- 4 serving size
20 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
1/3 cup maraschino cherries -- quartered
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 3/4 cups Cool Whip -- thawed

Stir pudding mix, pineapple with juice, marshmallows and nuts in large
bowl until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping.

Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:52:54 -0600, Elaine Parrish >
> wrote:
>

>>What is Watergate Salad? Sounds like: you go out and steal the ingredients
>>and eat it while chanting "I am not a crook!" <g>

> Naw, it's more like, "I am not a cook." <G>
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Watergate Salad

Wow, my sister-in-law makes this every year, but they just call it jello
salad. And she serves/eats it as a salad, while my brother asserts
every year that it's a dessert.

:-)

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Well, I have to admit that I've "adjusted" many of my holiday recipes over
> the years, and occasionally will add something new, but nothing so strange
> as to seem out of place.

I usually end up making a new thing or two, but part of that is because
I always tell my guests to tell me what they don't eat, and then I try
to make stuff special for them so that they have stuff they *can* eat.

One of my guests tomorrow can't eat sugar, wheat, or cow's milk. I'm
making a sugarless pumpkin pie with goat's milk for her.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On 23 Nov 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:52:54a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
> Parrish?
>
> > On 23 Nov 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >

> > My mom still makes that jello. She uses orange jello - set - then beats
> > it with the mixer adding in fresh beaten whipping cream and crushed
> > pineapple and tops the whole thing with several inches of whipped cream
> > and topped with pecans. yum.
> >
> > What is Watergate Salad? Sounds like: you go out and steal the
> > ingredients and eat it while chanting "I am not a crook!" <g>

> Carol will have to answer about the salad, but your response was priceless!
> :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

Thanks, Wayne. Every now and then, I have a moment!

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:52:54 -0600, Elaine Parrish >
> wrote:
>
> >What is Watergate Salad? Sounds like: you go out and steal the ingredients
> >and eat it while chanting "I am not a crook!" <g>

> Naw, it's more like, "I am not a cook." <G>
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Watergate Salad
>
> Recipe By amsel
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : comfort foods desserts
> salads-dressings Thanksgiving

> 1 package instant pistachio pudding mix -- 4 serving size
> 20 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
> 1/3 cup maraschino cherries -- quartered
> 1 cup miniature marshmallows
> 1/3 cup chopped pecans
> 1 3/4 cups Cool Whip -- thawed
>
> Stir pudding mix, pineapple with juice, marshmallows and nuts in large
> bowl until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping.
>
> Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> --
> Wash away the gray to respond.

Thank you. I'd never heard of it before. Sounds like a great salad. I'm
saving this recipe.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> We are having almost the same Thanksgiving dinner we usually have
> when it is here at home. The kids do not "allow" much deviation, but I
> usually manage to come up with something to surprise them.
>
> Assorted cheeses & spinach dip with toasted pita chips
> Gravlax (it is in the fridge curing now and is this year's surprise)
>
> Turkey (surprise!)
> Challah stuffing
> Chestnut stuffing
>
> Creamed onions
> Mashed rutabagas (with cream & nutmeg)
> Baked sweet potatoes
> Green beans with almonds
>
> Fruit salad
> Cranberry relish
> Cranberry sauce
>
> Lemon meringue pie
> Chocolate pie
>
> So...what is on the menu at your house?
>
> Boron

Here, it will be family-fundamental-traditional:

-dead bird filled with ground seeds and weeds
-roots
-swamp floaters
-ground weed seeds in various forms
-various tubers with dried plant juice and animal fat
-fat mixed in ground seeds with boiled plant parts
-misc vegetable reproductive parts

( or, for those who may be more used to the common vernacular, "Midwest
traditional":

- basted turkey with Herb-giblet dressing (Herb was really struggling this
year.)
- rutabagas, mashed with butter (whole root put in freezer for a couple
hours, of course)
- whole cranberry sauce with the ever-so-slightest hint of mint
- warm bread rolls (they are rising at this moment) and iced butter
- mashed russet potatoes, made with butter and cream, and giblet gravy with
a hint of onion and burnt butter
- red yams in butter-caramel sauce, topped with browned cinnamoned
marshmallow.
- kept-Haralson apple pie and tart-cherry pie
- buttered and salted (fresh-frozen) corn

and of course, something green -
- green-jello pineapple cottage-cheese surprise
- olives of four kinds
- pickles of a half dozen kinds
- celery stuffed with cream cheese and butternuts)

(BTW, Herb was what we named the French parsley plant.)

hey, anyone seen any pickled kumquats lately? It was a tradition that went
away here when the pickled KQ were no longer available locally.

Hey - gotta go - I need to count the silver before the relatives arrive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 23 Nov 2005 09:54:52 -0800, "Marge" >
wrote:

>Carol, I don't think you need to go to anybody's house, you've got it
>going on! I made cloverleaf rolls a couple of years, but it turned out
>to be a lot of food for us, they're delicious. I remember eating cream
>corn growing up all the time. ha. what do you put in your Jill's
>Turkey Cottage Pie?

I have a confession to make. Our cloverleaves were made by the
Pillsbury Dough Boy. They're pre-made and frozen. This will be our
first experience with them. We've liked the biscuits, so I'm hoping
that these will be good too. Jill's recipe follows. You'll love it!

>I agree that it's nice to keep it simple and traditional.

Yeah, and like I said before, I'm scared of fancy foods. LOL!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jill's Turkey Cottage Pie

Recipe By :Jill McQuown
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : main dishes Thanksgiving

3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped onion -- (1 medium)
3/4 cup diced celery -- (1 stalk)
3/4 cup diced carrots -- (1 medium)
1 large garlic clove -- minced
1/3 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups turkey gravy
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 cups cooked turkey breast -- cubed
3/4 cup frozen peas
2 cups mashed potatoes

Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add onion, celery, carrots and
garlic.
Saute over medium heat, stirring, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in wine, gravy
and
thyme. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15
minutes.

Layer turkey and peas in a 2-quart casserole. Add gravy and vegetable
mixture.

Prepare mashed potatoes. Spoon over top of casserole. Bake at 400°F
for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown on top.

Source:
"adapted by Damsel"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:14:59 -0800, serene >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:52:54 -0600, Elaine Parrish >
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Watergate Salad

>Wow, my sister-in-law makes this every year, but they just call it jello
>salad. And she serves/eats it as a salad, while my brother asserts
>every year that it's a dessert.

See? It's wonderfully versatile! Both a salad and a dessert! You
can eat it at dinner as a salad, then again afterward as a dessert.
It's a win-win proposition.

This stuff is one of the ultimate comfort foods, and it takes about 2
minutes to make. I don't dare make it before the morning it'll be
served, or it'll be gone bydinner time. : )

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:16:07 -0800, serene >
wrote:

>I usually end up making a new thing or two, but part of that is because
>I always tell my guests to tell me what they don't eat, and then I try
>to make stuff special for them so that they have stuff they *can* eat.
>
>One of my guests tomorrow can't eat sugar, wheat, or cow's milk. I'm
>making a sugarless pumpkin pie with goat's milk for her.

Now, YOU are a good hostess! Kudos!

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 02:50:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 23 Nov 2005 09:54:52 -0800, "Marge" >
> wrote:
>
>>Carol, I don't think you need to go to anybody's house, you've got it
>>going on! I made cloverleaf rolls a couple of years, but it turned out
>>to be a lot of food for us, they're delicious. I remember eating cream
>>corn growing up all the time. ha. what do you put in your Jill's
>>Turkey Cottage Pie?

> I have a confession to make. Our cloverleaves were made by the
> Pillsbury Dough Boy. They're pre-made and frozen. This will be our
> first experience with them. We've liked the biscuits, so I'm hoping
> that these will be good too. Jill's recipe follows. You'll love it!

I haven't tried the Pillsbury rolls, but we bought the Sara Lee frozen
cloverleaf rolls last year and they were quite good.

I have also used the little balls of dough that are available frozen in
plastic bags. You put 3 in a muffin tin, allow to thaw/rise and bake.
They are excellent.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:37:38 -0600, Elaine Parrish >
wrote, regarding Watergate Salad recipe:

>Thank you. I'd never heard of it before. Sounds like a great salad. I'm
>saving this recipe.

It sounds hideous, but damn, it's good stuff! I hope you'll enjoy it.
: )

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:56:00 -0600, "hob" >
wrote:

>Here, it will be family-fundamental-traditional:
>
>-dead bird filled with ground seeds and weeds
>-roots
>-swamp floaters
>-ground weed seeds in various forms
>-various tubers with dried plant juice and animal fat
>-fat mixed in ground seeds with boiled plant parts
>-misc vegetable reproductive parts
>
>( or, for those who may be more used to the common vernacular, "Midwest
>traditional":

That is priceless! I'm saving this post just for shits and giggles
when I need them.

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 23 Nov 2005 22:55:56 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I haven't tried the Pillsbury rolls, but we bought the Sara Lee frozen
>cloverleaf rolls last year and they were quite good.

That gives me encouragement. Thank you.

>I have also used the little balls of dough that are available frozen in
>plastic bags. You put 3 in a muffin tin, allow to thaw/rise and bake.
>They are excellent.

Rhodes. Yes, they're wonderful. Hard to come by this time of year,
though. I had to go to two stores to find them. But they were beyond
my budget, so I bought the store-brand frozen bread loaves. These
will be used for the cinnamon and caramel pull-aparts the next
morning. Just have to remember to thaw the dough the night before.
Knowing me, we'll wind up having pancakes for breakfast. LOL!

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 03:03:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 23 Nov 2005 22:55:56 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I haven't tried the Pillsbury rolls, but we bought the Sara Lee frozen
>>cloverleaf rolls last year and they were quite good.

> That gives me encouragement. Thank you.
>
>>I have also used the little balls of dough that are available frozen in
>>plastic bags. You put 3 in a muffin tin, allow to thaw/rise and bake.
>>They are excellent.

> Rhodes. Yes, they're wonderful. Hard to come by this time of year,
> though. I had to go to two stores to find them. But they were beyond
> my budget, so I bought the store-brand frozen bread loaves. These
> will be used for the cinnamon and caramel pull-aparts the next
> morning. Just have to remember to thaw the dough the night before.
> Knowing me, we'll wind up having pancakes for breakfast. LOL!
>
> Carol

Yes, Rhodes. WalMart had them on sale. I only bought one bag, since there
will only be two of us. I've never seen a store brand of these or I would
buy it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 23 Nov 2005 23:09:58 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 23 Nov 2005 03:03:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
>dis Dress?
>
>> On 23 Nov 2005 22:55:56 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I have also used the little balls of dough that are available frozen in
>>>plastic bags. You put 3 in a muffin tin, allow to thaw/rise and bake.
>>>They are excellent.

>> Rhodes. Yes, they're wonderful. Hard to come by this time of year,
>> though. I had to go to two stores to find them. But they were beyond
>> my budget, so I bought the store-brand frozen bread loaves. These
>> will be used for the cinnamon and caramel pull-aparts the next
>> morning. Just have to remember to thaw the dough the night before.
>> Knowing me, we'll wind up having pancakes for breakfast. LOL!

>Yes, Rhodes. WalMart had them on sale. I only bought one bag, since there
>will only be two of us. I've never seen a store brand of these or I would
>buy it.

Our WalMart didn't even have space allocated for ANY Rhodes products.
Had to go to a regional chain store to find any frozen bread dough at
all.

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 03:23:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

> On 23 Nov 2005 23:09:58 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed 23 Nov 2005 03:03:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel
>>in dis Dress?
>>
>>> On 23 Nov 2005 22:55:56 +0100, Wayne Boatwright

>>> Rhodes. Yes, they're wonderful. Hard to come by this time of year,
>>> though. I had to go to two stores to find them. But they were beyond
>>> my budget, so I bought the store-brand frozen bread loaves. These
>>> will be used for the cinnamon and caramel pull-aparts the next
>>> morning. Just have to remember to thaw the dough the night before.
>>> Knowing me, we'll wind up having pancakes for breakfast. LOL!

>>Yes, Rhodes. WalMart had them on sale. I only bought one bag, since
>>there will only be two of us. I've never seen a store brand of these or
>>I would buy it.

> Our WalMart didn't even have space allocated for ANY Rhodes products.
> Had to go to a regional chain store to find any frozen bread dough at
> all.
>
> Carol

:-(

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:16:07 -0800, serene >
> wrote:
>

>>I usually end up making a new thing or two, but part of that is because
>>I always tell my guests to tell me what they don't eat, and then I try
>>to make stuff special for them so that they have stuff they *can* eat.
>>
>>One of my guests tomorrow can't eat sugar, wheat, or cow's milk. I'm
>>making a sugarless pumpkin pie with goat's milk for her.

> Now, YOU are a good hostess! Kudos!

Thanks! Now let's hope it comes out edible. ;-)

serene, who just had RSVPs #14 and 15 -- better set a couple more places
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Marge

Carol, thanks for the Jill recipe, sounds like Shepherd's Pie a little.

Making the cloverleaf rolls from scratch is a bear! I think the frozen
dough idea, or Sara Lee, would be delicious without all the pain, heh
heh.

My SIL gave us some apple pie that had a ton of cinnamon, maybe the lid
fell off the jar.... ;-) Otherwise, everything tasted great here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Marge" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Carol, thanks for the Jill recipe, sounds like Shepherd's Pie a little.
>
> Making the cloverleaf rolls from scratch is a bear! I think the frozen
> dough idea, or Sara Lee, would be delicious without all the pain, heh
> heh.

My dear, don't you know that the word "Pain" and "Bread" are the same in
French?
http://www.aubonpain.com/aboutus.html
You speak french and don't even know it.(:-}
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Marge

I didn't think of that, heh heh, I know the French take their food
seriously, I've heard stories about those Michelin ratings driving a
few chefs over the edge.