TonyP

Default Thanksgiving Menu

Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.

Our is generally,

Baked Turkey slow cooked about 6 hours (salt,pepper,basted every so often
and always moist and tender).

A ham, usually sliced before hand and warmed later (turns out a little dry
presliced).

Homemade stuffing, no frills, lots of celery, onion and spices, no
gibblets or anything.

Mashed potatos, milk and butter added.

Sweet potatos with brown sugar and marshmellos.

Cranberry sauce, chilled and sliced with wipcream.

Green Bean casrole, can beans, can shroom soup, can durky onions.

Other cooked veggies, corn, green beans and peas.

1 gallon of gravey from the turkey drippings. My fav

Fresh veggie tray with carrots, celery, brockly, cauflower and ranch
dressing.

17 cans of black olives.

Store bought roll's (warmed), half weat/ half white.

Usually a store bought cherry pie and homemade apple pie or two.

Jello fruit salad with more marshmellows.

Simple dinner, nothing fancy or gourmet but it's always a nice treat.
Please pardon the spelling, I'm buzzed and my spellchecker is broken.

Tony
Virginia Tadrzynski

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> TonyP wrote:

snipped the gorge-o-rama

> Wait a minute... No deviled Eggs?... dinner is a waste...
>
> ~john!

My tribe would revolt without at least two dozen of the little yellow
monsters, topped with paprika.

Okay, toss out the gauntlet.......your fave deviled egg recipe?
-Ginny

levelwave

TonyP wrote:

> Baked Turkey slow cooked about 6 hours (salt,pepper,basted every so often
> and always moist and tender).

yep

> A ham, usually sliced before hand and warmed later (turns out a little dry
> presliced).

yep

> Homemade stuffing, no frills, lots of celery, onion and spices, no
> gibblets or anything.

yep

> Mashed potatos, milk and butter added.

yep

> Sweet potatos with brown sugar and marshmellos.

yep

> Cranberry sauce, chilled and sliced with wipcream.

yep

> Green Bean casrole, can beans, can shroom soup, can durky onions.

lol yep

> Other cooked veggies, corn, green beans and peas.

yep

> 1 gallon of gravey from the turkey drippings. My fav

yep

> Store bought roll's (warmed), half weat/ half white.

yep (only after grandpa retired from head chef though)

> Usually a store bought cherry pie and homemade apple pie or two.

yep

> Jello fruit salad with more marshmellows.

yep (but I never touch)

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

PENMART01

"Virginia Tadrzynski" writes:

>Okay, toss out the gauntlet.......your fave deviled egg recipe?

Much prefer a deviled chopped egg salad.

Season however...

CURRIED EGG SALAD

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
1/4 cup bottled mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
3 to 4 drops of Tabasco, or to taste
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons bottled mango chutney, chopped
6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
3 scallions, chopped

In a bowl stir together the mayonnaise, the curry powder, the celery salt, the
Tabasco, the cumin, the mustard, the lemon juice, and the chutney. Stir in the
eggs, the celery, and the scallions and season the salad with salt and pepper.

Gourmet

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

TonyP

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:52:47 -0400, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "levelwave" > wrote in message
>> TonyP wrote:
>>

> snipped the gorge-o-rama
>
>> Wait a minute... No deviled Eggs?... dinner is a waste...
>>
>> ~john!
>>

> My tribe would revolt without at least two dozen of the little yellow
> monsters, topped with paprika.
>
> Okay, toss out the gauntlet.......your fave deviled egg recipe?
> -Ginny

Ok, ok... mine like em too. I'll make some deviled eggs.

Tony

TonyP

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:09:51 +0000, PENMART01 wrote:

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" writes:
>>
>>Okay, toss out the gauntlet.......your fave deviled egg recipe?

> Much prefer a deviled chopped egg salad.
>
> Season however...
>
> CURRIED EGG SALAD
>
> Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
> 1/4 cup bottled mayonnaise
> 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
> 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
> 3 to 4 drops of Tabasco, or to taste
> 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
> 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
> 1 1/2 tablespoons bottled mango chutney, chopped
> 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
> 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
> 3 scallions, chopped
>
> In a bowl stir together the mayonnaise, the curry powder, the celery salt, the
> Tabasco, the cumin, the mustard, the lemon juice, and the chutney. Stir in the
> eggs, the celery, and the scallions and season the salad with salt and pepper.
>
> Gourmet

We all know your a dipshit and probably don't have any family but I might
try it aroud xmas or new years. We try to avoid snacks and cracker
spreads on thanksgiving. We like food on food day, not oddball gourmet
shit, just food you know everyone will like and eat. It's not a cooking
contest. Snack days are xmas eve and new year eve/day for us anyway.

My $.02

Tony
Julianne

"TonyP" > wrote in message
news
> Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.
>
> Our is generally,
>
> Baked Turkey slow cooked about 6 hours (salt,pepper,basted every so often
> and always moist and tender).

I'm gonna do fried turkey this year if I get responsibility for the turkey.
The results are so much more predictable.

> A ham, usually sliced before hand and warmed later (turns out a little dry
> presliced).

I wish! Half my family is Jewish and keeps kosher. I do so long for a ham!

> Homemade stuffing, no frills, lots of celery, onion and spices, no
> gibblets or anything.

Absolutely. Preferably corn meal based.

> Mashed potatos, milk and butter added.

We've never done mashed potatoes. We do, however, have corn pudding which
is to die for. Also, there is a Jewish dish that has noodles and grapes,
etc. which is pretty decent after you acquire a taste for it. I have never
made it so can't give too many more details.

> Sweet potatos with brown sugar and marshmellos.

My Mom makes a casserole like this. No Thanksgiving would be complete
without it.

> Cranberry sauce, chilled and sliced with wipcream.

Haven't done the whipped cream and don't particularly like cranberry sauce
but it sure is pretty. I would never have Thanksgiving without it just
because I like the way it looks

> Green Bean casrole, can beans, can shroom soup, can durky onions.

Another contribution of my mother's. Being that she is now 74, mabye I
should learn a few of these recipes??

> Other cooked veggies, corn, green beans and peas.
>
> 1 gallon of gravey from the turkey drippings. My fav

Fried turkey does not lend well to gravy.

> Fresh veggie tray with carrots, celery, brockly, cauflower and ranch
> dressing.

The veggie tray saves me from myself. I start in on it as I begin to cook
and visit. By the time dinner rolls around, I have much better control.

> 17 cans of black olives.

Okay.......

> Store bought roll's (warmed), half weat/ half white.

Challah bread which is made with a lot of eggs and braided is traditional
Jewish fare and is always served at our family gatherings. If you have been
reading my posts, lately, it is apparent that I am actively trying to master
the bread thing. I hope to be able to bring other kinds of bread to the
table this year. Nothing beats home made bread unless it is bad home made
bread

> Usually a store bought cherry pie and homemade apple pie or two.

I have a very competitive family. Yes, there are some store bought deserts
but lots of home made ones, in addition. As an aside, I come from a large
family. My aunt married a Jewish man and Thanksgiving at their house has
always been the 'family holiday' as it wasn't related to a religious event.
My uncle is the 'patriarch' of that celebration and he is also the 'family
doctor' taking care of all of us. Therefore, there is an unwritten
competition that involves making chocolate deserts for our favorite uncle.
It makes for a delicious desert bar.

> Jello fruit salad with more marshmellows.

One of my cousins makes something like this. It is awful. Do you have a
recipe that works? I have been known to clandestinely throw part of the
jello salad away so he can avoid embarrassment.

> Simple dinner, nothing fancy or gourmet but it's always a nice treat.
> Please pardon the spelling, I'm buzzed and my spellchecker is broken.

It all sounds wonderful. Still, the beauty of Thanksgiving isn't the food
at all but rather the company!

> Tony

Julianne

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "levelwave" > wrote in message
> > TonyP wrote:
> >

> snipped the gorge-o-rama
>
> > Wait a minute... No deviled Eggs?... dinner is a waste...
> >
> > ~john!
> >

> My tribe would revolt without at least two dozen of the little yellow
> monsters, topped with paprika.
>
> Okay, toss out the gauntlet.......your fave deviled egg recipe?
> -Ginny

We've never done deviled eggs at Thanksgiving but was thinking of them for
either T-day or Christmas where we feed about 50 folks at a time. The best
recipe I know is simple and I have never used any measurements. I boil and
peel eggs and seperate the whites from the yolks and set the whites in a
serving dish. I then salt the whites lightly. The yolks are put into a
bowl and sufficient mayo is added to bring them to a consistency that will
fit through the cake decorating apparatus. I also add onion powder, dijon
mustard, salt and pepper. Recently, I have begun adding bacon to the yolk
mixture. I then pipe the filling into the egg whites and sprinkle with
paprika. When I am very adventurous, I will substitute Kraft Spicy Mayo for
half of the regular mayo but this is an acquired taste.

My thoughts were that for 50 people, I could make 100 stuffed eggs for about
ten bucks. I am rarely cheap but when cooking for such large numbers of
people, the cost adds up!

Sapphire

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:44:35 GMT, TonyP > wrote:

>Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.
>
>Our is generally,
>
>Baked Turkey slow cooked about 6 hours (salt,pepper,basted every so often
>and always moist and tender).
>
>A ham, usually sliced before hand and warmed later (turns out a little dry
>presliced).
>
>Homemade stuffing, no frills, lots of celery, onion and spices, no
>gibblets or anything.
>
>Mashed potatos, milk and butter added.
>
>Sweet potatos with brown sugar and marshmellos.
>
>Cranberry sauce, chilled and sliced with wipcream.
>
>Green Bean casrole, can beans, can shroom soup, can durky onions.
>
>Other cooked veggies, corn, green beans and peas.
>
>1 gallon of gravey from the turkey drippings. My fav
>
>Fresh veggie tray with carrots, celery, brockly, cauflower and ranch
>dressing.
>
>17 cans of black olives.
>
>Store bought roll's (warmed), half weat/ half white.
>
>Usually a store bought cherry pie and homemade apple pie or two.
>
>Jello fruit salad with more marshmellows.
>
>Simple dinner, nothing fancy or gourmet but it's always a nice treat.
>Please pardon the spelling, I'm buzzed and my spellchecker is broken.

-sigh-

Second Turkey-Day away from family this year, and no money (or days
off from work) to go home.

Last year I decided that it didn't matter if there were only two of us
to share the meal, I was making a T-Day Feast.

Turkey, mashed potatoes with leeks, two kinds of stuffing (with
giblets for me, without for the Hubby), peas, corn, dinner rolls, and
three different pies for dessert (pecan, pumpkin, and blueberry).
Everything made from scratch (except Hubby's stuffing - he wanted
Stove Top).

We had leftovers for weeks.

This year I just don't foresee having the energy for that.

On the bright side, we have new neighbors who have invited us over for
their T-Day dinner. I'll probably still make the dinner rolls and
pecan pie, but skip the rest of it.

If I'm lucky, they'll let me take some turkey home with me for
sandwiches - that's the best part of T-Day leftovers.

-Sapphire.
-------------------------------------
Goddess of Unfinished Projects and of Autumn
High Priestess of Mess
Lead guitar for the abml out-of-practice musicians' band
Officially licensed pedant (Thanks Bookwurm!)
Wench #858 Madame
BEWARE the SPAM-TRAP! There is little difference
between "yahoo" and "yippee", except that one is
my e-mail address, and the other isn't.
BOB

TonyP > typed:
> Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.

Smoked turkey. Brined in a citrus brine for a couple of days, then smoked on
my Kamado.

The rest of the menu is up to the rest of the family. After last year's
award winning turkey, I get to smoke the turkeys from now on.

BOB

Sapphire

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:44:35 GMT, TonyP > wrote:

>Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.
>
>Our is generally,
>
>Baked Turkey slow cooked about 6 hours (salt,pepper,basted every so often
>and always moist and tender).
>
>A ham, usually sliced before hand and warmed later (turns out a little dry
>presliced).
>
>Homemade stuffing, no frills, lots of celery, onion and spices, no
>gibblets or anything.
>
>Mashed potatos, milk and butter added.
>
>Sweet potatos with brown sugar and marshmellos.
>
>Cranberry sauce, chilled and sliced with wipcream.
>
>Green Bean casrole, can beans, can shroom soup, can durky onions.
>
>Other cooked veggies, corn, green beans and peas.
>
>1 gallon of gravey from the turkey drippings. My fav
>
>Fresh veggie tray with carrots, celery, brockly, cauflower and ranch
>dressing.
>
>17 cans of black olives.
>
>Store bought roll's (warmed), half weat/ half white.
>
>Usually a store bought cherry pie and homemade apple pie or two.
>
>Jello fruit salad with more marshmellows.
>
>Simple dinner, nothing fancy or gourmet but it's always a nice treat.
>Please pardon the spelling, I'm buzzed and my spellchecker is broken.

-sigh-

Second Turkey-Day away from family this year, and no money (or days
off from work) to go home.

Last year I decided that it didn't matter if there were only two of us
to share the meal, I was making a T-Day Feast.

Turkey, mashed potatoes with leeks, two kinds of stuffing (with
giblets for me, without for the Hubby), peas, corn, dinner rolls, and
three different pies for dessert (pecan, pumpkin, and blueberry).
Everything made from scratch (except Hubby's stuffing - he wanted
Stove Top).

We had leftovers for weeks.

This year I just don't foresee having the energy for that.

On the bright side, we have new neighbors who have invited us over for
their T-Day dinner. I'll probably still make the dinner rolls and
pecan pie, but skip the rest of it.

If I'm lucky, they'll let me take some turkey home with me for
sandwiches - that's the best part of T-Day leftovers.

-Sapphire.
-------------------------------------
Goddess of Unfinished Projects and of Autumn
High Priestess of Mess
Lead guitar for the abml out-of-practice musicians' band
Officially licensed pedant (Thanks Bookwurm!)
Wench #858 Madame
BEWARE the SPAM-TRAP! There is little difference
between "yahoo" and "yippee", except that one is
my e-mail address, and the other isn't.
Tracy Riggs

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:44:35 GMT, TonyP > wrote:

>Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.

Last year (when it was just three of us), we had:

Dear Litte Rolls
Spinach Maria
Squash Casserole with Applesauce
Grand Marnier Apricot Stuffing
Turkey Breast with Orange-Raspberry Glaze (adapted to be
Orange-Apricot Glaze to match stuffing)
Traditional Pumpkin Pie

I'll probably change it this year though.

Broccoli Casserole, Mom's Sweet Potato Casserole, Green Bean Casserole
and Chocolate Creme and/or Pecan Pie are traditional when we do the
big family get together thing with my family. And my DH's family is
very big on a dessert called Cherry Yum Yum at these events.

Regards,
Tracy R.
Greykits

>TonyP > typed:
>> Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.
>>

>Smoked turkey. Brined in a citrus brine for a couple of days, then smoked on
>my Kamado.
>
>The rest of the menu is up to the rest of the family. After last year's
>award winning turkey, I get to smoke the turkeys from now on.
>
>BOB

I like smoked turkey but I also like stuffing cooked in the bird. The booklet
that came with my smoker has a recipe for a ham to go on the rack over the
turkey on the lower rack. This sounds like heaven to me, but I don't often
cook that much meat.

We actually like turkey here and I have a turkey breast thawing in the fridge
now. I will probably make a brine for it tonight. Last week I brined a chicken
with water, salt, brown sugar and soy sauce. This was on the rotisserie for 2
hours over some hickory chips. It was a hit with all who had it, including the
rotisserie man who said it was less apt to cause flare-ups. This chicken was
very juicy and good. I always stuff the cavity with lemon, onion and herbs.

For the turkey dinner in a day or two, it will be turkey breast, stuffing,
gravy, cranberries, butternut squash, maybe a green vegetable and maybe an
apple pie. This is just for 2 people. We actually like that green bean
casserole, but I've been off ambrosia since my teen years. The yams with the
marshmallows were never common in long-ago dinners so I don't miss them. One
time I followed a recipe that had them with pecans and lots of brown sugar and
it was just too much. I really like them baked in their jackets with butter.
This will be an oven dinner. Now, I have no clue as to what we'll have for the
holiday.

rharps.com
Greykits

Oh, I forgot to mention mashed potatoes - they are a must!

rharps.com
sf

wrote:

> Baked Turkey

> A ham

<sigh> Roasted turkey and baked ham... don't ask me why -
it's a tradition, like Thanksgiving.

> Homemade stuffing, no frills, lots of celery, onion and spices, no
> gibblets or anything.
>
> Mashed potatos, milk and butter added.
>
> Sweet potatos with brown sugar and marshmellos.
>
> Cranberry sauce, chilled and sliced with wipcream.
>
> Green Bean casrole, can beans, can shroom soup, can durky onions.
>
> Other cooked veggies, corn, green beans and peas.
>
> 1 gallon of gravey from the turkey drippings. My fav

Can't argue with any of the above!

Happy Thanksgiving!

sf

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:52:47 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

> "levelwave" > wrote in message
> > TonyP wrote:
> >

> snipped the gorge-o-rama
>
> > Wait a minute... No deviled Eggs?... dinner is a waste...
> >
> > ~john!
> >

> My tribe would revolt without at least two dozen of the little yellow
> monsters, topped with paprika.
>
> Okay, toss out the gauntlet.......your fave deviled egg recipe?
> -Ginny

You mean there's more than ONE????

sf

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:35:06 -0500, "Julianne"
> wrote:
>
> We've never done deviled eggs at Thanksgiving but was thinking of them for
> either T-day or Christmas where we feed about 50 folks at a time.

LOL! They are expected at Easter time in my family.
sf

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:26:53 -0500, "Julianne"
> wrote:

> My Mom makes a casserole like this. No Thanksgiving would be complete
> without it.

My SIL is married to a guy from the South and she learned to
make them with peaches from her MIL. I tried replicating
them, but hers are the BEST (I avoid the marshmallows
though).
sf

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:38:51 -0400, " BOB"
> wrote:

> TonyP > typed:
> > Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.
> >

> Smoked turkey. Brined in a citrus brine for a couple of days, then smoked on
> my Kamado.
>
> The rest of the menu is up to the rest of the family. After last year's
> award winning turkey, I get to smoke the turkeys from now on.
>
> BOB

You bet! Turkeys done on a covered weber or in a kamodo pot
are the absolute GREATEST. I've tried brining them and
quite frankly, I was dissappointed with the results: not
worth the time or effort, IMO.

Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:52:47 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>

>> "levelwave" > wrote in message
>> > TonyP wrote:
>> >

>> snipped the gorge-o-rama
>>
>> > Wait a minute... No deviled Eggs?... dinner is a waste...
>> >
>> > ~john!
>> >

>> My tribe would revolt without at least two dozen of the little
>> yellow monsters, topped with paprika.
>>
>> Okay, toss out the gauntlet.......your fave deviled egg recipe?
>> -Ginny
>>

> You mean there's more than ONE????

Well, there's mine, er, my Grandmother's. They're a bit different...

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Grandmother's Deviled Eggs
Categories: Appetizers
Yield: 6 Servings

6 ea Large or extra-large eggs
4 ea Saltine cracker squares,
Finely crushed
1 Tbsp Onion, finely minced
2 Tbsp Celery, very finely diced
1 Tbsp Sweet pickle, finely diced
2 Tbsp Bacon, finely crumbled
(optional)
1/2 tsp Yellow mustard
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
Stuffed olives, sliced
Paprika

Put eggs in one layer in medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and
slowly bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 15
minutes. Drain hot water from eggs and cover with cold water to cool.
Peel eggs, slice in half lengthwise and separate yolks and whites,
placing yolks in medium mixing bowl. Reserve egg whites on plate. Mash
egg yolks with fork until well broken up. Add crushed crackers, onion,
celery, and bacon (if using) to egg yolks, tossing together until well
mixed. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard until well mixed. If egg yolk
mixture is too dry, add additional mayonnaise or a small amount of
cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pipe or spoon egg yolk
mixture into egg white halves. Press olive slice into top of egg, and
sprinkle lightly with paprika. Serve immediately or refrigerate. If
refrigerating, remove from refrigerator 1/2 hour before serving to
improve flavor.

april-g

Just moved to Texas and we had an opportunity to buy a BBQ turkey from a
local place. My son gave me the highest compliment from him saying, "I'd
rather just have the turkey you usually make."

So:

Roast turkey with my grandmother's mustard, oil, garlic, paprika rub

Stuffing (day old bread, onions, oil, chicken fat, salt and pepper) --
simple, but delicious!

Sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows (a holdover from
everyone's youth)

Broccoli (vegetarian daughter -- this becomes her main course)

Homemade spiced cranberries

Giblet gravy (How on earth does anyone get a gallon? Please tell, I could
always use more!)

Pumpkin and Mince pies from the frozen food dept. They're fresh baked,
just not fresh prepared. Of course, these are served with ice cream and
whipped cream!

April

Peggy

>>On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:44:35 GMT, TonyP > wrote:
>>

>>>Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.

Just did a Thanksgiving-esque dinner (a run-through?) for sixteen
"farmworkers," friends who picked apples and helped us bring home 175
gallons of cider from the local cider mill -- 100 gallons of it is
happily burbling into hard cider in 55-gallon drums on our kitchen
floor. Here's the meal:

appetizer of chopped liver (made with home-rendered chicken fat from our
own chickens -- or should I say "ex-chickens"?) on baguette slices
served with our own bottle-conditioned "Champagne" cider

turkey brined with lots of salt, a bit of sugar, bay leaves, and
peppercorns; roasted under a butter-dipped "blanket" of cheesecloth,
cavity stuffed with garlic cloves, cut-up lemon, and apple;

giblet gravy

home-made cornbread dressing with loads of hot-pepper sausage, onions,
celery, and turkey stock

smashed homegrown German-yellow potatoes with garlic and chopped
scallions and altogether too much butter and half-and-half, but nobody
complained

apple/squash/leek gratin with breadcrumb and pepper-cheese topping

collards and kale from the garden, simmered for hours with a smoked ham
hock

cranberry/red-onion compote (try finding a fresh cranberry around here
in October -- hadda use canned)

home-made pear chutney

Finger Lakes wines: Leidenfrost Baco Noir, Dr. Frank Chardonnay, and a
bottle of great bubbly made by our winemaker neighbor. Nearly
everything goes with turkey!

home-made pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream; cornmeal/pumpkin cake with
orange sauce; fresh apple cake; a great store-bought coffee cake with
blueberry and cheesecake topping.

Wanted to make popovers, but there just wasn't time or oven space.
Definitely do it for Thanksgiving this year.

I'm still exhausted, and still full. Burp. But I'd do it again in a
heartbeat, and look forward to the Thanksgiving debacle.

Cheers!
Peg (in the Finger Lakes, where the trees still seem to have a good grip
on their color-changing leaves, and where it SNOWED this morning! Time
to get out the crock pot.)

Glenn Jacobs

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:02:35 -0400, Peggy wrote:

> turkey brined with lots of salt, a bit of sugar, bay leaves, and
> peppercorns; roasted under a butter-dipped "blanket" of cheesecloth,
> cavity stuffed with garlic cloves, cut-up lemon, and apple;

Peggy tell us more about the above Turkey, sounds very interesting.

South Park Colorado, where the leaves of the few deciduous trees that we
have gone till next year and it has snowed a couple of times, but today is
beautiful.

JakeInHartsel
Peggy

Glenn Jacobs wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:02:35 -0400, Peggy wrote:
>

>>turkey brined with lots of salt, a bit of sugar, bay leaves, and
>>peppercorns; roasted under a butter-dipped "blanket" of cheesecloth,
>>cavity stuffed with garlic cloves, cut-up lemon, and apple;

> Peggy tell us more about the above Turkey, sounds very interesting.
>
> South Park Colorado, where the leaves of the few deciduous trees that we
> have gone till next year and it has snowed a couple of times, but today is
> beautiful.
>
> JakeInHartsel

Glenn -

I defrosted the turkey in a big cooler, in its freezer bag, in plenty of
icewater, which we replaced every hour or so. De-bagged the defrosted
turkey, removed the turkey parts that were stuffed into it (used 'em to
make stock which went into dressing and gravy), and put the turkey into
a clean,doubled white kitchen trash bag. Dissolved 2 cups of kosher
salt in a quart of boiling water, then added 7 more quarts of water
mixed with ice, half a cup of brown sugar, four or five bay leaves, a
tablespoon of peppercorns. Put the bagged turkey back into the cooler,
poured the cooled liquid into the bag around it, sealed the bag with a
wire tie, being careful to get as much air as possible out of the bag
while keeping the liquid in, piled more ice on top, and let it sit (in
the bathtub) overnight, flipping it once for even brining. When we were
ready to cook the turkey, we rinsed it off, blotted it inside and out,
popped it into the oven with its little butter-soaked "night shirt" and
dumped the brining water and ice into the tub, fished out the bay leaves
and peppercorns, and hosed down the works. It made for easy cleanup.

Enjoy your beautiful day!

Peg

MareCat

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:38:51 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>TonyP > typed:
>> Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.
>>

>Smoked turkey. Brined in a citrus brine for a couple of days, then smoked on
>my Kamado.
>
>The rest of the menu is up to the rest of the family. After last year's
>award winning turkey, I get to smoke the turkeys from now on.
>
>BOB

Last year was the first time for us to smoke a turkey. Delicious.
We'll be doing that again this year. My brother and SIL from
Wilmington, DE are visiting us this year for Thanksgiving, and a few
friends will also be joining us. Besides the turkey, we'll be having:
Susan Hattie's goat cheese torta with crackers (appetizer)--always a
hit whenever I make it, jalapeno-cornbread dressing (made in the
crockpot), mashed taters, gravy, broccoli-cheese casserole,
lemon-tarragon green beans, twice-baked sweet taters, rolls, and
pumpkin and pecan pies.

Mary

Aria

Interesting about making stuffing in a crock pot. Does it get too mushy? How
do you do it? Would be nice to have one dish that didn't need to go into the
oven.
We also smoked a turkey for the first time last year and everyone preferred
it to the one we cooked in the oven. We are going to use our new Smoky
Mountain this year. Can hardly wait. What is your brine recipe??

"MareCat" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:38:51 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> >TonyP > typed:
> >> Thanksgiving is comming up soon, what's your typical menu.
> >>

> >Smoked turkey. Brined in a citrus brine for a couple of days, then

smoked on
> >my Kamado.
> >
> >The rest of the menu is up to the rest of the family. After last year's
> >award winning turkey, I get to smoke the turkeys from now on.
> >
> >BOB

> Last year was the first time for us to smoke a turkey. Delicious.
> We'll be doing that again this year. My brother and SIL from
> Wilmington, DE are visiting us this year for Thanksgiving, and a few
> friends will also be joining us. Besides the turkey, we'll be having:
> Susan Hattie's goat cheese torta with crackers (appetizer)--always a
> hit whenever I make it, jalapeno-cornbread dressing (made in the
> crockpot), mashed taters, gravy, broccoli-cheese casserole,
> lemon-tarragon green beans, twice-baked sweet taters, rolls, and
> pumpkin and pecan pies.
>
> Mary

Aria

Oh please tell me your recipe for chopped liver. I am dying to make some.
Have never done it and love it so. Thanks.

"Peggy" > wrote in message

> Just did a Thanksgiving-esque dinner (a run-through?) for sixteen
> "farmworkers," friends who picked apples and helped us bring home 175
> gallons of cider from the local cider mill -- 100 gallons of it is
> happily burbling into hard cider in 55-gallon drums on our kitchen
> floor. Here's the meal:
>
> appetizer of chopped liver (made with home-rendered chicken fat from our
> own chickens -- or should I say "ex-chickens"?) on baguette slices
> served with our own bottle-conditioned "Champagne" cider
>
> turkey brined with lots of salt, a bit of sugar, bay leaves, and
> peppercorns; roasted under a butter-dipped "blanket" of cheesecloth,
> cavity stuffed with garlic cloves, cut-up lemon, and apple;
>
> giblet gravy
>
> home-made cornbread dressing with loads of hot-pepper sausage, onions,
> celery, and turkey stock
>
> smashed homegrown German-yellow potatoes with garlic and chopped
> scallions and altogether too much butter and half-and-half, but nobody
> complained
>
> apple/squash/leek gratin with breadcrumb and pepper-cheese topping
>
> collards and kale from the garden, simmered for hours with a smoked ham
> hock
>
> cranberry/red-onion compote (try finding a fresh cranberry around here
> in October -- hadda use canned)
>
> home-made pear chutney
>
> Finger Lakes wines: Leidenfrost Baco Noir, Dr. Frank Chardonnay, and a
> bottle of great bubbly made by our winemaker neighbor. Nearly
> everything goes with turkey!
>
> home-made pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream; cornmeal/pumpkin cake with
> orange sauce; fresh apple cake; a great store-bought coffee cake with
> blueberry and cheesecake topping.
>
> Wanted to make popovers, but there just wasn't time or oven space.
> Definitely do it for Thanksgiving this year.
>
> I'm still exhausted, and still full. Burp. But I'd do it again in a
> heartbeat, and look forward to the Thanksgiving debacle.
>
> Cheers!
> Peg (in the Finger Lakes, where the trees still seem to have a good grip
> on their color-changing leaves, and where it SNOWED this morning! Time
> to get out the crock pot.)

TonyP

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:26:53 -0500, Julianne wrote:

> Fried turkey does not lend well to gravy.

Oh man, no gravy...

>> Jello fruit salad with more marshmellows.

> One of my cousins makes something like this. It is awful. Do you have a
> recipe that works? I have been known to clandestinely throw part of the
> jello salad away so he can avoid embarrassment.

No, it's just Jello, Whipcream and generally Fruit Cocktail. My Mother
insists on making it each year, the kids eat a little of it and the rest
goes in the trash the next day.

> It all sounds wonderful. Still, the beauty of Thanksgiving isn't the food
> at all but rather the company!

Till they get drunk and all start fighting. Just kidding (although it
has happend before)

Tony
Ranee Mueller

In article <UVllb.107273$k74.1690@lakeread05>, "Julianne"
> wrote:

> I wish! Half my family is Jewish and keeps kosher. I do so long for a
> ham!

The only holiday meal we get or serve ham on is Christmas Day (ILs
make it) and New Year's. On Christmas we also have a turkey, so my mom
can eat. My mom is a quasi Muslim, meaning that she doesn't follow any
of it, or at least most of the time she doesn't, but she still won't eat
pig. This isn't usually a huge deal, but it means I can never make the
turkey breast with prosciutto and cheese rolled in it, can't make side
dishes like brussels sprouts with bacon, and stuff like that. Last
year, she decided (while in poor health and years of not doing so) that
she was going to observe Ramadan, so we had to hold off Thanksgiving
dinner until she could eat, which wasn't too big a deal, but the ILs had
a 2 1/2 hour drive home that night.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Ranee Mueller

In article >, TonyP
> wrote:

> Snack days are xmas eve and new year eve/day for us anyway.

This brings me to a question...

Which holiday days are the primary days for you?

Our major Christmas meal is Christmas Eve, I do a rib roast and
trimmings with a fancy dessert for after mass. Christmas day we do
potluck, and I don't care really what we eat, and it ends up being more
snack tray. New Year's Eve we do a lot of hors-d'oeuvre type foods, but
also a ham and some other main dish things. New Year's day is leftovers.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

Peggy

Aria wrote:

> Oh please tell me your recipe for chopped liver. I am dying to make some.
> Have never done it and love it so. Thanks.

>>Just did a Thanksgiving-esque dinner (a run-through?) for sixteen
>>"farmworkers," friends who picked apples and helped us bring home 175
>>gallons of cider from the local cider mill -- 100 gallons of it is
>>happily burbling into hard cider in 55-gallon drums on our kitchen
>>floor. Here's the meal:
>>
>>appetizer of chopped liver (made with home-rendered chicken fat from our
>>own chickens -- or should I say "ex-chickens"?) on baguette slices
>>served with our own bottle-conditioned "Champagne" cider

<snip>

Aria -

It's so easy! Put four eggs on to hard boil (cook in water to cover
until water boils; cover pot; remove from heat; wait until you need
them). In a large skillet, saute one large chopped onion (about a cup of
chopped onion) in a mix of rendered chicken fat and olive oil (to
appease the cholesterol gods -- you can use all olive oil, but it won't
taste the same) until the onion is transparent -- about five minutes
over medium heat. Add one pound of raw chicken livers to the skillet,
and cook until they're just a little pink inside, but basically cooked
through. Run the hard-boiled eggs under cold water until they've
stopped generating heat, and peel them. Now comes the fun. Put half
the liver and onion mixture and two of the eggs in a food processor and
give it four or five short whirls, then check it. Chopped liver should
still show pieces of liver, pieces of egg -- you don't want a smoothe
pate. If the pieces are still too large, give it another whirl or two.
Empty the contents of the food processor into a bowl. Repeat processing
with remaining liver, onions, and eggs. If you don't have access to a
food processor, you can chop the mixture with a mezzeluna (a
half-moon-shaped blade with a handle above it) in a wooden bowl, as my
grandmother and mother did. If mixture seems too stiff, add more olive
oil or melted chicken fat. Add salt and pepper to taste, and chill.
Serve with crackers, baguette slices, or on celery ribs.

Don't overlook chopped livers' wonderful sculpting and molding
capabilities -- you can form it into just about anything but the
Brooklyn Bridge (difficult to get the cables to stay straight -- believe
me, I've tried).

Cheers!
Peg

Ranee Mueller

In article >, TonyP
> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:26:53 -0500, Julianne wrote:
>
> > Fried turkey does not lend well to gravy.

> Oh man, no gravy...

That's what I don't like about smoked or deep fried turkeys. My ILs
made smoked turkeys, which taste incredible, and I've been served fried
turkeys which were juicy and tasty, but I love gravy.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Bob

Peggy wrote:

> Just did a Thanksgiving-esque dinner (a run-through?) for sixteen
> "farmworkers," friends who picked apples and helped us bring home 175
> gallons of cider from the local cider mill -- 100 gallons of it is
> happily burbling into hard cider in 55-gallon drums on our kitchen
> floor. Here's the meal:

WOW! This meal looks INCREDIBLE. I'm definitely going to attempt some of
those items this year. I've got a clue as to how to prepare most of them,
but I do have some questions:

> apple/squash/leek gratin with breadcrumb and pepper-cheese topping

How did this turn out? I'm assuming you used some kind of winter squash,
but I can't quite get a handle on it. I'd think the texture of the squash
wouldn't be quite right with the texture of the leeks. Were the leeks
pre-cooked so that they kind of melted? (If I make this, I'll probably use
parsnips instead of squash.)

> cranberry/red-onion compote (try finding a fresh cranberry around here
> in October -- hadda use canned)

Got plenty of fresh cranberries here. Is the compote simply sliced red
onions, cranberries, and sugar cooked together? Did you add any spices?
(I'm thinking that cloves and black pepper would go well.)

> home-made pear chutney

What variety of pears?

> cornmeal/pumpkin cake with orange sauce

PLEASE post the recipe for this!

Thanks for sharing this great menu!

Bob

Peggy

Bob wrote:

>>apple/squash/leek gratin with breadcrumb and pepper-cheese topping

> How did this turn out? I'm assuming you used some kind of winter squash,
> but I can't quite get a handle on it. I'd think the texture of the squash
> wouldn't be quite right with the texture of the leeks. Were the leeks
> pre-cooked so that they kind of melted? (If I make this, I'll probably use
> parsnips instead of squash.)

We used butternut squash and parboiled it so it would soften
appropriately. The leeks were, indeed, sauteed into submission! Parsnips
sound like a wonderful substitution for the squash.

>>cranberry/red-onion compote (try finding a fresh cranberry around here
>>in October -- hadda use canned)

> Got plenty of fresh cranberries here. Is the compote simply sliced red
> onions, cranberries, and sugar cooked together? Did you add any spices?
> (I'm thinking that cloves and black pepper would go well.)

Actually, the onions were first pickled and softened in a glug of red
wine vinegar and some olive oil. The recipe called for slicing them
into rings, but the rings made the finished product hard to handle.
Next time I'll dice the red onions. Black pepper sounds great with this.
The recipe called for those chiles in adobo sauce you can buy in cans
(can't remember what they're called — advancing middle age: first the
nouns go, then the verbs) to add a little spice. I'm not too fond of
cloves, but they might go well with this. Sugar was called for, but
since I used canned whole cranberry sauce, I figured there was already
enough sugar.

>>home-made pear chutney

> What variety of pears?

What ever came off the neighbors' trees! I'm not fussy when fruit's free!

>>cornmeal/pumpkin cake with orange sauce

> PLEASE post the recipe for this!

I'll try to remember to bring it in tomorrow. It was in the latest
issue of Fine Cooking, I think.

> Thanks for sharing this great menu!
>
> Bob

Thank you, Bob. Good grief, I love to cook (and eat)! And this time
around I was fortunate to have an extra pair of hands -- a friend who,
in his last life, cooked for a living. A blessing.

Cheers!

Peg

Bob

Ranee wrote:

> This brings me to a question...
>
> Which holiday days are the primary days for you?
>
> Our major Christmas meal is Christmas Eve, I do a rib roast and
> trimmings with a fancy dessert for after mass. Christmas day we do
> potluck, and I don't care really what we eat, and it ends up being more
> snack tray. New Year's Eve we do a lot of hors-d'oeuvre type foods, but
> also a ham and some other main dish things. New Year's day is leftovers.

I assume by the follow-on paragraph that you mean primary FOOD days. So
with that assumption, here goes:

Memorial Day I always have a big barbecue/grillfest, same thing with
Independence Day.

Thanksgiving -- of course -- is my biggest "food day" of the year. I try to
cook something different each year, but it's aways a feast.

Saint Patrick's Day is always a corned-beef-and-cabbage day. Sometimes it's
the only day of the year that I eat corned beef. (I like it, but it's *so*
unhealthy!)

Last year I started making seafood for Christmas Eve. It was quite
well-received, so I think I'll keep doing that.

Christmas dinner is quite variable, depending on how many people are around.
In the past, I've made a goose or a ham. I've never made roast beef for
Christmas; I think I'll try that this year.

I don't have a *dinner* on either New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. On NYE,
I offer tapas-like "little dishes" to graze on. On NYD, I make a variety of
stews: Chile, posole, and black-eyed peas. Good cold-weather
football-watching food.

Bob

juice

try this roasted turkey, glazed ham, shrimp in sauce,rice,mac and
cheese,sweet potatoes,greens,string beans,potatoe salad,soda ,juice
water wine, gin, and beer for later cakes pies ect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~juice212003~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
click or type the page, attachment, or address below to see my photo.

http://community.webtv.net/juice212003/JUICESHOUSE

BOB

Aria typed:
> Interesting about making stuffing in a crock pot. Does it get too mushy?

How
> do you do it? Would be nice to have one dish that didn't need to go into

the
> oven.
> We also smoked a turkey for the first time last year and everyone preferred
> it to the one we cooked in the oven. We are going to use our new Smoky
> Mountain this year. Can hardly wait. What is your brine recipe??
>
>> " BOB" wrote:
>>
>>> TonyP > typed:
>>>>

>>> Smoked turkey. Brined in a citrus brine for a couple of days, then

smoked
>>> on my Kamado.
>>>
>>> The rest of the menu is up to the rest of the family. After last year's
>>> award winning turkey, I get to smoke the turkeys from now on.
>>>
>>> BOB

Here's a link to my preparation, as well as the brine that I used:
http://www.kamado.com/discus/messages/4/2289.html

Scroll down to the second post with pictures for mine. You can also read and
borrow from any of the others.

Good luck!

BOB

Julia Altshuler

I find turkey to be so delicious, inexpensive, easy to prepare, and
nutritious that I serve it year round. I buy pieces (usually thighs)
and roast it whenever the weather is nasty. That leaves me with a
dilemma at Thanksgiving since Thanksgiving should be special. The
solution is duck. Thanksgiving menu consists of:

Roast duck. I've tried fancier orange glazes, but plain roast duck goes
over best.

Corn bread. (Not quite a cake, but a little on the sweet side.)

Oatmeal bread with cranberries. (Less sweet, more of a bread.)

Baked winter squash (whatever looks good, acorn, butternut, etc.)

Green beans. (I'd go with brussels sprouts, but others in this
household have been known to object.)

Pies: Apple, pecan, pumpkin. (Oddly enough, I prefer canned pumpkin
for best, most consistent results-- not canned pie mix, but canned
pumpkin). (For the pecan pie, I use a recipe that calls for real maple
syrup instead of corn syrup, wonderful results.)

As far as I'm concerned, the best Thanksgiving meal is the duck soup
made from the slow simmered stock from duck carcasses.

--Lia

Sam D.

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >, TonyP
> > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:26:53 -0500, Julianne wrote:
> >
> > > Fried turkey does not lend well to gravy.

> > Oh man, no gravy...

> That's what I don't like about smoked or deep fried turkeys. My ILs
> made smoked turkeys, which taste incredible, and I've been served fried
> turkeys which were juicy and tasty, but I love gravy.

One of the best tips I've been given for preparing a turkey dinner was on
making the gravy ahead of time. And you can do this with a smoked, deep
fried or traditional roast turkey. Purchase one or more packages of turkey
wings, brown them in the oven, briefly saute a coarsely chopped onion, a
carrot and a celery stalk, then simmer the browned wings with a pinch or 2
of thyme, a bay leaf and the sauteed vegetables in a pot for several hours
with, strain the liquid and then use it to make your gravy ahead a day or so
before the meal. If you oven roast your turkey, de-fatted pan drippings can
be added to your gravy if you like. Credit for this tip goes to Melinda Lee
on KFI radio. http://www.melindalee.com