Amberinauburn

Default Thanksgiving menu

This will be our second Thanksgiving together. Last year we were newlyweds
(having gotten married on Nov 1st) and so people left us alone. We cooked
together and ate very late. We ummm€¦ got distracted half way through cooking
and, well anyway we ate very late but we got left alone. Now this year his
brother and wife are coming to dinner. I get to cook, with his help. We are
having turkey breast, and two kinds of stuffing, I grew up eating white bread
stuffing but a couple of years ago tried Corn bread stuffing and decided I like
that better. So we have to have two kinds. That's not a problem. I'm making
stovetop. We are having two kinds of potatoes too; White mashed and sweet
potato casserole with marshmallows on top. Also my sister in-law is bringing
green bean casserole and we are having brown and serve rolls. We have also
gotten a blackberry cobbler for dessert and Dh wants them to bring vanilla ice
cream for it. No one drinks so we are having soda for our beverage. My
question is this. Am I forgetting anything?? Does this look complete to you? In
my mind I think I am forgetting something. I just can't think what it might be.

Amber in rainy, cold Illinois

Steve Calvin

Amberinauburn wrote:

> This will be our second Thanksgiving together. Last year we were newlyw=

eds
> (having gotten married on Nov 1st) and so people left us alone. We cook=

ed
> together and ate very late. We ummm=E2=80=A6 got distracted half way th=

rough cooking
> and, well anyway we ate very late but we got left alone. Now this year =

his
> brother and wife are coming to dinner. I get to cook, with his help. We=

are
> having turkey breast, and two kinds of stuffing, I grew up eating white=

bread
> stuffing but a couple of years ago tried Corn bread stuffing and decide=

d I like
> that better. So we have to have two kinds. That's not a problem. I'm ma=

king
> stovetop. We are having two kinds of potatoes too; White mashed and swe=

et
> potato casserole with marshmallows on top. Also my sister in-law is bri=

nging
> green bean casserole and we are having brown and serve rolls. We have a=

lso
> gotten a blackberry cobbler for dessert and Dh wants them to bring vani=

lla ice
> cream for it. No one drinks so we are having soda for our beverage. My=

> question is this. Am I forgetting anything?? Does this look complete to=

you? In
> my mind I think I am forgetting something. I just can't think what it m=

ight be.
>=20
> Amber in rainy, cold Illinois
>=20

I would never have Stovetop stuffing, let alone on T-day but hey,=20
whatever floats your boat. Looks like a pretty complete menu, assuming=20
that you're making gravy too. Although I don't eat 'em, I can't get=20
past the day without making cranberry sauce and mashed "turnips". I=20
can't remember the spelling but it's something like rudabaker or?=20
(Don't shoot me, spelling was never my strong point. ;-) )

--=20
Steve

If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

The Peters

cranberry bread

"Amberinauburn" > wrote in message
> This will be our second Thanksgiving together. Last year we were newlyweds
> (having gotten married on Nov 1st) and so people left us alone. We cooked
> together and ate very late. We ummm. got distracted half way through

cooking
> and, well anyway we ate very late but we got left alone. Now this year his
> brother and wife are coming to dinner. I get to cook, with his help. We

are
> having turkey breast, and two kinds of stuffing, I grew up eating white

bread
> stuffing but a couple of years ago tried Corn bread stuffing and decided I

like
> that better. So we have to have two kinds. That's not a problem. I'm

making
> stovetop. We are having two kinds of potatoes too; White mashed and sweet
> potato casserole with marshmallows on top. Also my sister in-law is

bringing
> green bean casserole and we are having brown and serve rolls. We have also
> gotten a blackberry cobbler for dessert and Dh wants them to bring vanilla

ice
> cream for it. No one drinks so we are having soda for our beverage. My
> question is this. Am I forgetting anything?? Does this look complete to

you? In
> my mind I think I am forgetting something. I just can't think what it

might be.

> Amber in rainy, cold Illinois

Dimitri

"Amberinauburn" > wrote in message
> This will be our second Thanksgiving together. Last year we were newlyweds
> (having gotten married on Nov 1st) and so people left us alone. We cooked
> together and ate very late. We ummm€¦ got distracted half way through

cooking
> and, well anyway we ate very late but we got left alone. Now this year his
> brother and wife are coming to dinner. I get to cook, with his help. We

are
> having turkey breast, and two kinds of stuffing, I grew up eating white

bread
> stuffing but a couple of years ago tried Corn bread stuffing and decided I

like
> that better. So we have to have two kinds. That's not a problem. I'm

making
> stovetop. We are having two kinds of potatoes too; White mashed and sweet
> potato casserole with marshmallows on top. Also my sister in-law is

bringing
> green bean casserole and we are having brown and serve rolls. We have also
> gotten a blackberry cobbler for dessert and Dh wants them to bring vanilla

ice
> cream for it. No one drinks so we are having soda for our beverage. My
> question is this. Am I forgetting anything?? Does this look complete to

you? In
> my mind I think I am forgetting something. I just can't think what it

might be.

> Amber in rainy, cold Illinois

Cranberries?

Something to nibble on when they arrive or are you going to eat right away?

Dimitri

Moosemeat

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
s.com...

--
It's Studebaker and I hate top tell you this but they make a very poor
casserole and also they are out of production.

Jack Schidt®

"Amberinauburn" > wrote in message
> This will be our second Thanksgiving together. Last year we were newlyweds
> (having gotten married on Nov 1st) and so people left us alone. We cooked
> together and ate very late. We ummm. got distracted half way through

cooking
> and, well anyway we ate very late but we got left alone. Now this year his
> brother and wife are coming to dinner. I get to cook, with his help. We

are
> having turkey breast, and two kinds of stuffing, I grew up eating white

bread
> stuffing but a couple of years ago tried Corn bread stuffing and decided I

like
> that better. So we have to have two kinds. That's not a problem. I'm

making
> stovetop. We are having two kinds of potatoes too; White mashed and sweet
> potato casserole with marshmallows on top. Also my sister in-law is

bringing
> green bean casserole and we are having brown and serve rolls. We have also
> gotten a blackberry cobbler for dessert and Dh wants them to bring vanilla

ice
> cream for it. No one drinks so we are having soda for our beverage. My
> question is this. Am I forgetting anything?? Does this look complete to

you? In
> my mind I think I am forgetting something. I just can't think what it

might be.

> Amber in rainy, cold Illinois

Don't forget to enjoy yourselves.

Jack Holiday

Aria

Here is a great recipe for cranberry sauce....
1/2 C water
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp finely shredded lime peel
2 T lime juice
1 12 oz pkg cranberries (3 cups)
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1. Stir together water, sugar, maple syrup, lime peel, and lime juice in a
heavy, medium saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered,
for 3 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
2. Add cranberries and continue to simmer,uncovered, for 5 minutes,stirring
occasionally. Stir in ginger. Simmer, uncovered, 6 minutes more or until
berries have popped and mixture starts to thicken, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat and let cool. Makes about 2-1/3 cups.
It seemed to take longer than that for them to thicken. But I'm not a great
fan of cranberries, and this was yummy!

Sylvia

It looks to me like you're making the typical new-bride mistake of
making too many different dishes. One kind of stuffing is plenty,
likewise one kind of potatoes. Since it's his family that is coming, it
would be a nice gesture to make your choices based on what their usual
family menu is, but if you choose something different and they're rude
enough to comment unfavorably on it, you can just reply that these are
your new family traditions. I wouldn't make Stove Top either, real
stuffing is pretty easy to make -- I just posted my own recipe under the
"Family Recipes" thread. You don't want to spend ALL your own time
cooking or wind up eating 1-2 hours late because you're trying to
prepare too many dishes. (Ask me how I know that ...)

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Sylvia

BTW, the whole "cranberry sauce" ritual can be a mine field. I make a
fabulous cranberry sauce with a little horseradish to add tang. DH
complained loudly and wanted the canned stuff. So I buy him the crummy
canned stuff but the REST of our meal is homemade and delicious.