Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

Default Thanksgiving Menu

We are having almost the same Thanksgiving dinner we usually have
when it is here at home. The kids do not "allow" much deviation, but I
usually manage to come up with something to surprise them.

Assorted cheeses & spinach dip with toasted pita chips
Gravlax (it is in the fridge curing now and is this year's surprise)

Turkey (surprise!)
Challah stuffing
Chestnut stuffing

Creamed onions
Mashed rutabagas (with cream & nutmeg)
Baked sweet potatoes
Green beans with almonds

Fruit salad
Cranberry relish
Cranberry sauce

Lemon meringue pie
Chocolate pie

So...what is on the menu at your house?

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Boron Elgar wrote:
> We are having almost the same Thanksgiving dinner we usually have
> when it is here at home. The kids do not "allow" much deviation, but I
> usually manage to come up with something to surprise them.
> [snip]
> So...what is on the menu at your house?

We're going to good friends, who are assigning tasks among us all. I'm
drafted to do the roasted garlic mashed potatoes and the gravy. I'll
roast heads of garlic beforehand but do the rest there. We're also
bringing pumpkin pie. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Marcella Peek

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> We are having almost the same Thanksgiving dinner we usually have
> when it is here at home. The kids do not "allow" much deviation, but I
> usually manage to come up with something to surprise them.
>
> Assorted cheeses & spinach dip with toasted pita chips
> Gravlax (it is in the fridge curing now and is this year's surprise)
>
> Turkey (surprise!)
> Challah stuffing
> Chestnut stuffing
>
> Creamed onions
> Mashed rutabagas (with cream & nutmeg)
> Baked sweet potatoes
> Green beans with almonds
>
> Fruit salad
> Cranberry relish
> Cranberry sauce
>
> Lemon meringue pie
> Chocolate pie
>
> So...what is on the menu at your house?
>
> Boron

You dinner looks delicious.

We're eating at my sisters and we all bring something assigned so I
don't know everything but I do know we're having

Turkey - sister is getting one at the butcher so he can take the innards
out otherwise she forgets and we find a little plastic wrapped package
inside ;-)

Stuffing or dressing which I am making
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato wickedness - other sister makes this wicked baked mashed
sweet potatoes with a praline topping that is really dessert
Some sort of cranberries - sauce, relish, or something but homemade

Far too many desserts. When this sister hosts she assigns many
desserts. One time we had more desserts than people as she had made so
many herself! I know she's doing cheesecake. Mom usually bring pumpkin
and mince pies. I'm thinking either lemon or pecan. I have no idea
what else might show up.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Nov 2005 06:53:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
Elgar?

For us it's just a variation on our usual theme.

Chutney Cheese Ball with Triscuits and Stoned Wheat Crackers
Pickled Shrimp

Roasted Turkey Breast
Cornbread/Celery Dressing with Pecans

Caramelized Bittersweet Onions
Candied yams and lemon slices
Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole (I secretly seriously like this)
Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Pickled Peaches
Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce

Pumpkin Pie
Mincemeat Pie
Chess Pie

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
dwãçôn

Turducken

--
I filled a lightbulb with helium and got enlightened
http://www.dwacon.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Pickled Peaches

?! Recipe, please!

Pretty please?

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Nov 2005 09:36:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it serene?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Pickled Peaches

> ?! Recipe, please!
>
> Pretty please?
>
> serene

This was my grandmother's recipe. You can use either clingstone or
freestone peaches in it. I prefer clingstone, and they are more
traditional, but sometimes harder to find.

Pickled Peaches

2 pounds brown sugar
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 oz. whole cloves
1 oz. stick cinnamon
4 quarts fresh clingstone or freestone peaches

In a very large saucepan or stockpot, mix the sugar, vinegar, and cinnamon
together. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, dip the peaches, a few at a time, in boilng water, then remove
the skin. If using freestone peaches, cut in half and remove the pits.
Stick each peach half with 2 cloves. Stick each whole peach with 4 cloves.

Place the peaches or peach halves in the syrup and cook over low heat for a
few minutes, just until the peaches are barely tender.

Pack the peaches in 1 quart canning jars. Pour the syrup into the jars,
enough to cover the peaches and leaving 1/4" headspace. Run a thin spatula
or non-metallic utensil through each jar to remove air bubbles. Wipe the
jar rims with a damp paper towel. Place the caps and rims on the jars.
Snugly hand-tighten the rims.

Process in a boiling water bath canner for 25 minutes.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bigbazza

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sat 19 Nov 2005 06:53:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
> Elgar?
>
> For us it's just a variation on our usual theme.
>
> Chutney Cheese Ball with Triscuits and Stoned Wheat Crackers
> Pickled Shrimp
>
> Roasted Turkey Breast
> Cornbread/Celery Dressing with Pecans
>
> Caramelized Bittersweet Onions
> Candied yams and lemon slices
> Mashed Potatoes
> Green Bean Casserole (I secretly seriously like this)
> Roasted Brussels Sprouts
>
> Pickled Peaches
> Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
>
> Pumpkin Pie
> Mincemeat Pie
> Chess Pie
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

Sorry to barge in here as I am not from the USA but looking over the various
menu's ..I saw that you had 'Roasted Brussel Sprouts' on your menu...I love
them !..I didn't know you could 'Roast' them though !...How do you do them ?
--
Bigbazza (Barry)..Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Nov 2005 11:09:49p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bigbazza?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sat 19 Nov 2005 06:53:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
>> Elgar?
>>
>> For us it's just a variation on our usual theme.
>>
>> Chutney Cheese Ball with Triscuits and Stoned Wheat Crackers
>> Pickled Shrimp
>>
>> Roasted Turkey Breast
>> Cornbread/Celery Dressing with Pecans
>>
>> Caramelized Bittersweet Onions
>> Candied yams and lemon slices
>> Mashed Potatoes
>> Green Bean Casserole (I secretly seriously like this)
>> Roasted Brussels Sprouts
>>
>> Pickled Peaches
>> Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
>>
>> Pumpkin Pie
>> Mincemeat Pie
>> Chess Pie
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

> Sorry to barge in here as I am not from the USA but looking over the
> various menu's ..I saw that you had 'Roasted Brussel Sprouts' on your
> menu...I love them !..I didn't know you could 'Roast' them though
> !...How do you do them ?

You're not barging in, and certainly welcome in this thread or any other.

I guess there are other ways to do it, but I halve them, toss with extra-
virgin olive oil, a litle sprinkle of kosher salt, some cracked black
pepper, and sometimes some slivered garlic. You can also sprinkle with
herbs if you wish. Arrange in a single well-spaced layer on a baking sheet
and roast in a 375-400 degree F. oven for 35-40 minutes, or until nicely
browned. Oh, and shuffle them around on the baking sheet every few minutes
to ensure even browning. Serve immediately.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ntantiques

Boron Elgar wrote:

> So...what is on the menu at your house?
>
> Boron

Just two of us this year so there are going to be serious
leftovers...which we enjoy.
On the menu:
Chanterelles sauteed with shallotsin a demi glace & marsala reduction,
served in small puff pastry shells.
Roast turkey & gravy. Stuffing is always the one we both grew up with
- the traditional bread-onion-celery mix w/ Bell's Poultry Seasoning
and cooked in the bird. (I know, I know, but it hasn't killed us yet &
it tastes better that way.)
Cranberry sauce a la Ocean Spray
Home made whipped potatoes
Trader Joe's Haricots vert steamed and then tossed in butter and
toasted pine nuts
Pureed butternut squash with cinnamon, brown sugar, a bit of clove &
lots of butter - my Mom's recipe and a family tradition.
Dessert is a challenge in a 2 person household. DH (an otherwise
adventerous culinary spirit) makes the martyr face when pumpkin pie is
suggested. After much discussion, we're having hazel nut cannoli.
Seems appropriate since we live in the filbert capital of the universe
& if I only make a few I won't be tempted to have pie for breakfast on
Friday.
Nancy T
(It's a mighty good day when Cal whips Stanford AND the Ducks humble
the Beavers!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Boron wrote:

> Assorted cheeses & spinach dip with toasted pita chips
> Gravlax (it is in the fridge curing now and is this year's surprise)
>
> Turkey (surprise!)
> Challah stuffing
> Chestnut stuffing
>
> Creamed onions
> Mashed rutabagas (with cream & nutmeg)
> Baked sweet potatoes
> Green beans with almonds
>
> Fruit salad
> Cranberry relish
> Cranberry sauce
>
> Lemon meringue pie
> Chocolate pie
>
> So...what is on the menu at your house?

What a nice-sounding menu! I've posted mine a couple times now, but don't
mind doing it again, and it's constantly undergoing revision anyway:

Deviled Eggs
Rumaki
Parmesan crisps

Creamy Chestnut-Arugula Soup

Hot Melon Salad on Field Greens

Roasted Goose Breast with Blackberry Sauce
Yorkshire Pudding [MAYBE with Mushrooms and Dried Cherries]

Green Beans with Butter, Lemon, and Hazelnuts
Butternut Squash Chunks with Sweet Curry
Parsnip-Potato Puree

Spicy Sweet-Potato Pie
Homemade Butter-Pecan Ice Cream
Pandora's Black Pear Tart with Gran Marnier Zabaglione

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bigbazza

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sat 19 Nov 2005 11:09:49p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bigbazza?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat 19 Nov 2005 06:53:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
>>> Elgar?
>>>
>>> For us it's just a variation on our usual theme.
>>>
>>> Chutney Cheese Ball with Triscuits and Stoned Wheat Crackers
>>> Pickled Shrimp
>>>
>>> Roasted Turkey Breast
>>> Cornbread/Celery Dressing with Pecans
>>>
>>> Caramelized Bittersweet Onions
>>> Candied yams and lemon slices
>>> Mashed Potatoes
>>> Green Bean Casserole (I secretly seriously like this)
>>> Roasted Brussels Sprouts
>>>
>>> Pickled Peaches
>>> Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
>>>
>>> Pumpkin Pie
>>> Mincemeat Pie
>>> Chess Pie
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>> _____________________________________________
>>>
>>> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

>> Sorry to barge in here as I am not from the USA but looking over the
>> various menu's ..I saw that you had 'Roasted Brussel Sprouts' on your
>> menu...I love them !..I didn't know you could 'Roast' them though
>> !...How do you do them ?

> You're not barging in, and certainly welcome in this thread or any other.
>
> I guess there are other ways to do it, but I halve them, toss with extra-
> virgin olive oil, a litle sprinkle of kosher salt, some cracked black
> pepper, and sometimes some slivered garlic. You can also sprinkle with
> herbs if you wish. Arrange in a single well-spaced layer on a baking
> sheet
> and roast in a 375-400 degree F. oven for 35-40 minutes, or until nicely
> browned. Oh, and shuffle them around on the baking sheet every few
> minutes
> to ensure even browning. Serve immediately.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

Thanks..Mate !!....What I meant was not being a Yankee...I couldn't join you
in the Thanksgiving Dinner Menu ...as we don't have it here in Oz ..I know
the 'Origins' of it though !....I do occasionally join in the other threads
though..but not much ! ...

Thanks for your method of roasting them..I will try them when next in season
here !..Way too expensive at the moment ...and I have a 'built-in' max price
that I will pay for them (or any Veg or meat ).. :-))
--
Bigbazza (Barry)..Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Default Nancy's an Athletic Supporter :-)

Nancy wrote:

> (It's a mighty good day when ... the Ducks humble the Beavers!)

While I am proud to be an alumnus of Oregon State, I have to confess a
sneaking suspicion that UO and OSU named EACH OTHER'S sports teams, using
the least-intimidating names that came to mind. Ducks? Beavers? The only
worse team name I've heard is closer to where I live now: UC Santa Cruz
boasts the "Fightin' Banana Slugs."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On 20 Nov 2005 04:34:55 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Caramelized Bittersweet Onions

Recipe or method please?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets,alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants

Default Sunflower seeds eaten by MLB players

Questions, most important ones listed first:

1. Do MLB players eat the unsalted kind (sunflower seeds) during games?

2. Are they spitting all the time because of the salty sunflower seeds?

3. Do I assume correctly that chewing tobacco consumption is way down
among pro ball players?

4. A few hours after I sucked on 20 or so salted sunflower shells, I
had something resembling a heartburn and I had to spit out a lot of
saliva. Is this common?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 12:46:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
Dabney?

> On 20 Nov 2005 04:34:55 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Caramelized Bittersweet Onions

> Recipe or method please?
>
> Christine

This recipe came from friends 10 yeas ago...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Caramelized Bittersweet Onions

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Can condensed beef consomme -- (10 ½ oz.)
1 soup can water
2 Pounds small pearl onions peeled
1/4 Cup Butter/margarine Softened
1/3 Cup sugar
4 Teaspoons lemon juice
1 Teaspoon Angostura Bitters
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
Few dashes white pepper (optional)

Bring consomme and water to boil. Add onions, simmer 15 minutes until
tender. Remove frioom heat, cover; cooling broth. Drain onions, pat dry,
set aside. Over medium heat, cook butter and sugar stirring constantly
until carmel color. Stir in lemon juice, then onions, stirring to coat
onions thoroughly and breaking up any bits of carmelized sugar. Simmer
over medium low heat, shaking pan occasionally, about 30 minumtes or until
copper color. Season with salt and pepper.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Nov 2005 11:52:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bigbazza?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sat 19 Nov 2005 11:09:49p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Bigbazza?

>>> Sorry to barge in here as I am not from the USA but looking over the
>>> various menu's ..I saw that you had 'Roasted Brussel Sprouts' on your
>>> menu...I love them !..I didn't know you could 'Roast' them though
>>> !...How do you do them ?

>> You're not barging in, and certainly welcome in this thread or any
>> other.
>>
>> I guess there are other ways to do it, but I halve them, toss with
>> extra- virgin olive oil, a litle sprinkle of kosher salt, some cracked
>> black pepper, and sometimes some slivered garlic. You can also
>> sprinkle with herbs if you wish. Arrange in a single well-spaced layer
>> on a baking sheet and roast in a 375-400 degree F. oven for 35-40
>> minutes, or until nicely browned. Oh, and shuffle them around on the
>> baking sheet every few minutes to ensure even browning. Serve
>> immediately.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>
>> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

> Thanks..Mate !!....What I meant was not being a Yankee...I couldn't join
> you in the Thanksgiving Dinner Menu ...as we don't have it here in Oz
> ..I know the 'Origins' of it though !....I do occasionally join in the
> other threads though..but not much ! ...
>
> Thanks for your method of roasting them..I will try them when next in
> season here !..Way too expensive at the moment ...and I have a
> 'built-in' max price that I will pay for them (or any Veg or meat )..
> :-))

You're quite welcome, anytime. They can sometimes be pricey here, too, but
usually reasonable around the holidays. Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Nancy wrote:
>
>> (It's a mighty good day when ... the Ducks humble the Beavers!)

> While I am proud to be an alumnus of Oregon State, I have to confess a
> sneaking suspicion that UO and OSU named EACH OTHER'S sports teams, using
> the least-intimidating names that came to mind. Ducks? Beavers? The only
> worse team name I've heard is closer to where I live now: UC Santa Cruz
> boasts the "Fightin' Banana Slugs."

Hey, just wait till the Blue Hens take on the Terrapins. Those turtles will
mess with you.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> Nancy wrote:
>>
>>> (It's a mighty good day when ... the Ducks humble the Beavers!)

>> While I am proud to be an alumnus of Oregon State, I have to confess
>> a sneaking suspicion that UO and OSU named EACH OTHER'S sports teams,
>> using the least-intimidating names that came to mind. Ducks?
>> Beavers? The only worse team name I've heard is closer to where I
>> live now: UC Santa Cruz boasts the "Fightin' Banana Slugs."

> Hey, just wait till the Blue Hens take on the Terrapins. Those
> turtles will mess with you.
>
> nancy

OK, there are the Eagles, Giants, Falcons, Rams, Raiders, Chiefs,
Cardinals, Chargers, 49ers, Vikings, etc., ...but then you have the
Cleveland "Browns"!?????????????????

Sorry for being so OT.

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MareCat

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

> So...what is on the menu at your house?

As we've done for the past 10 years or so, we're having some dear
friends over on Turkey Day (it's traditional for us to host Thanksgiving
and for them to have us over on Christmas Eve every year--none of us
have any family in this part of the country). Some friends of ours who
live in CA are coming for a visit the following day and staying until
Monday. We'll most likely be eating out for a lot of our meals over the
weekend, so we really don't want a whole lotta Thanksgiving leftovers.

So, we're keeping it simple:

- Shrimp cocktail
- Unknown appetizer (that our friends are bringing)
- Roast turkey
- Gravy
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Cornbread dressing
- Broccoli-cheese casserole
- Lemon-tarragon green beans
- Rolls
- Pecan pie (and maybe pumpkin pie)
- Wine, beer, water, juice

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On 20 Nov 2005 04:34:55 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 19 Nov 2005 06:53:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
>Elgar?
>
>For us it's just a variation on our usual theme.
>
>Chutney Cheese Ball with Triscuits and Stoned Wheat Crackers
>Pickled Shrimp
>
>Roasted Turkey Breast
>Cornbread/Celery Dressing with Pecans
>
>Caramelized Bittersweet Onions
>Candied yams and lemon slices
>Mashed Potatoes
>Green Bean Casserole (I secretly seriously like this)
>Roasted Brussels Sprouts
>
>Pickled Peaches
>Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
>
>Pumpkin Pie
>Mincemeat Pie
>Chess Pie

If you happen to have the Caramelized Bittersweet Onions recipe handy,
I love it.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Nancy wrote:
>
> > (It's a mighty good day when ... the Ducks humble the Beavers!)

> While I am proud to be an alumnus of Oregon State, I have to confess a
> sneaking suspicion that UO and OSU named EACH OTHER'S sports teams, using
> the least-intimidating names that came to mind. Ducks? Beavers? The only
> worse team name I've heard is closer to where I live now: UC Santa Cruz
> boasts the "Fightin' Banana Slugs."
>
> Bob

How about the Guilford College "Fighting Quakers?" I am NOT making this
up.

The traditional Apple Cup here in Seattle was fought like cats (the
Washington State Cougars) and dogs (the University of Washington
Huskies). The cats won.

OB Food: December's Sunset has a recipe for short ribs in
cabernet-dried apricot sauce, which was last night's dinner. Said short
ribs cost more than the turkey I bought at the same time. This recipe
is a keeper. It goes very well with fennel-pomegranate salad.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On 19 Nov 2005 22:33:42 -0800, "ntantiques" >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>> So...what is on the menu at your house?
>>
>> Boron

>Roast turkey & gravy. Stuffing is always the one we both grew up with
>- the traditional bread-onion-celery mix w/ Bell's Poultry Seasoning
>and cooked in the bird. (I know, I know, but it hasn't killed us yet &
>it tastes better that way.)

I feel the same way.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On 20 Nov 2005 04:34:55 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 19 Nov 2005 06:53:07p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
>Elgar?
>
>For us it's just a variation on our usual theme.
>
>Chutney Cheese Ball with Triscuits and Stoned Wheat Crackers
>Pickled Shrimp
>
>Roasted Turkey Breast
>Cornbread/Celery Dressing with Pecans
>
>Caramelized Bittersweet Onions
>Candied yams and lemon slices
>Mashed Potatoes
>Green Bean Casserole (I secretly seriously like this)
>Roasted Brussels Sprouts
>
>Pickled Peaches
>Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
>
>Pumpkin Pie
>Mincemeat Pie
>Chess Pie

OOPs...saw the recipe further down. Thanks. It looks great.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 20 Nov 2005 04:34:55 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Green Bean Casserole (I secretly seriously like this)

Hey, it's only once a year!

sf
lover of the "carrerole" too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 20 Nov 2005 07:16:24 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 19 Nov 2005 11:09:49p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bigbazza?

> > Sorry to barge in here as I am not from the USA but looking over the
> > various menu's ..I saw that you had 'Roasted Brussel Sprouts' on your
> > menu...I love them !..I didn't know you could 'Roast' them though
> > !...How do you do them ?

> You're not barging in, and certainly welcome in this thread or any other.
>
> I guess there are other ways to do it, but I halve them, toss with extra-
> virgin olive oil, a litle sprinkle of kosher salt, some cracked black
> pepper, and sometimes some slivered garlic. You can also sprinkle with
> herbs if you wish. Arrange in a single well-spaced layer on a baking sheet
> and roast in a 375-400 degree F. oven for 35-40 minutes, or until nicely
> browned. Oh, and shuffle them around on the baking sheet every few minutes
> to ensure even browning. Serve immediately.

you can add other winter vegetables to them and call it a medely of
roasted winter vegetables.... hmmm. I haven't done that since last
year. I think I'll make it for T'day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 19 Nov 2005 22:33:42 -0800, ntantiques wrote:

> (It's a mighty good day when Cal whips Stanford AND the Ducks humble
> the Beavers!)

Wipe that smirk off your face!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:12:58 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

> On 19 Nov 2005 22:33:42 -0800, "ntantiques" >
> wrote:

> cooked in the bird. (I know, I know, but it hasn't killed us yet &
> >it tastes better that way.)

I don't think the caution is to not roast the bird with stuffing, it's
don't store the bird with stuffing still in it.

> I feel the same way.

Gosh... I love the flavor of stuffing roasted inside the bird. I make
another pan of stuffing that is baked (there is no such thing as too
much stuffing at my house) and then I mix them to serve. Mmmmm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 07:50:47 GMT, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> I'm surprising the
> snot out of them by having cheeseburgers in phyllo. I got it from a Paula
> Deen recipe and I liked it.

Cheeseburgers? LOLOLOL Please post that recipe! Have you actually
made this before? I can't begin imagine the phyllo staying crispy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:53:07 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>We are having almost the same Thanksgiving dinner we usually have
>when it is here at home. The kids do not "allow" much deviation, but I
>usually manage to come up with something to surprise them.
>
>Assorted cheeses & spinach dip with toasted pita chips
>Gravlax (it is in the fridge curing now and is this year's surprise)
>
>Turkey (surprise!)
>Challah stuffing
>Chestnut stuffing

Do mind sharing your Challah stuffing recipe?

thanks,

ttfn,
jan
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Glitter Ninja

Wayne Boatwright > writes:

>Green Bean Casserole (I secretly seriously like this)

Oh, me too! I know some shun any recipe that involves canned cream of
blargh soup, but I love the stuff. There's a very similar broccoli
casserole that I also enjoy.
Everyone's dinner looks delicious. Here's mine, I'm just cooking
for two so it's nothing special:

Some cheese and crackers from the local deli, who imports nice stuff
this time of year. Just to nibble on while the turkey roasts.

Turkey (stuffed with orange, lemon, and lime slices and sage leaves)
Mushroom Herb Stuffing
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Turkey Gravy
Roasted Corn and Red Peppers (with bacon and onion)
Canned Cranberry Sauce (my husband won't eat turkey without a 99-cent
can of jellied cranberry sauce)
White Rolls
Pumpkin Pie

We will probably get a pinot noir (or Pirramimma Shiraz, which I love)
for the cheese, a reisling with dinner, and we already have two moscato
for after dinner. Then we'll pass out in front of the TV while watching
MST3K.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:09:26 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:12:58 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> On 19 Nov 2005 22:33:42 -0800, "ntantiques" >
>> wrote:

>> cooked in the bird. (I know, I know, but it hasn't killed us yet &
>> >it tastes better that way.)

>I don't think the caution is to not roast the bird with stuffing, it's
>don't store the bird with stuffing still in it.
>
>> I feel the same way.
>>

>Gosh... I love the flavor of stuffing roasted inside the bird. I make
>another pan of stuffing that is baked (there is no such thing as too
>much stuffing at my house) and then I mix them to serve. Mmmmm.

I, too, make a separate stuffing, but it is different from the one in
the turkey. This one is ground chestnuts, fresh bread crumbs, parsley,
onion, celery and butter. I bake it in the convection oven while the
bird cooks in the stove oven. When I baste the turkey, I take some
drippings and "baste" the chestnut stuffing, too. In fact, when I make
it, I cut back on the butter the recipe calls for as I know some
drippings will be in there.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Glitter Ninja

Wayne Boatwright > writes:

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Caramelized Bittersweet Onions

Yum! This brings up a question I keep meaning to ask: where do you
find angostura bitters? I just got a book on mixing cocktails and
wondered where I could find bitters, and now I just *have* to know so I
can try this onion recipe.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:16:06 -0500, wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:53:07 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>We are having almost the same Thanksgiving dinner we usually have
>>when it is here at home. The kids do not "allow" much deviation, but I
>>usually manage to come up with something to surprise them.
>>
>>Assorted cheeses & spinach dip with toasted pita chips
>>Gravlax (it is in the fridge curing now and is this year's surprise)
>>
>>Turkey (surprise!)
>>Challah stuffing
>>Chestnut stuffing

>Do mind sharing your Challah stuffing recipe?
>
>thanks,
>
>ttfn,
>jan

I have no recipe, but I will describe what I do below. This is a rich
dressing, almost a savory bread pudding that is cooked in the bird.

Trim most crust from a large challah. If you can find loaf shaped
challah, rather than a twist, that is even better, but don't drive
yourself nuts removing every drop of crust. Tear off small
apple-sized chunks and run them quickly under cold water, moistening
the bread, but being sure to squeeze any excess out. Tear up the
chunks into small pieces and place in large bowl.

Gently saute one large Spanish or Bermuda onion until translucent. If
you like a lot of onion, by all means, add more. Add to bread. Lightly
beat 4 - 6 (start with 4) eggs with 1/2 cup Wishbone Italian
Dressing. Add to bread & onion mixture.

Wash your hands, take your rings off and get your hands into that
bowl, mixing all the ingredients well. The consistency should be eggy,
but not liquidy. Add more beaten eggs, if needed. Salt and pepper to
taste.

Stuff into the bird, as well as into the neck cavity under the skin
flap. Pin the neck skin to the underside of the turkey. I do not
truss the turkey legs, but leave them open. For me, this allows the
stuffing and dark meat to cook, without making the breast meat
overdone.

For a really large turkey, I have used 2-3 challahs, depending on loaf
size. Any extra, I cook separately and it puffs up like bread
pudding..

This was my grandmother's and mother's way of making stuffing and I
have never used exact measurements, as I leaned by sight and feel as I
grew up. I hope it can be "translated" this way. I do believe in the
early years, my grandmother used schmaltz instead of Wishbone!

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking
EchoSierra [X-No-Archive]

She Crab Soup & Cheese Crisps
Murphy Goode Sauvignon Blanc

Mesclun Salad with spiced Pumpkin Seeds, Oranges, Pomegranite seeds and
Raspberry Vinaigrette

Roast Turkey with Cajun Rub
Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Bourbon Sweet Potatoes
French cut Green Beans & Pearl Onion Almondine
Benziger Pinot Noir

Pumpkin Pie with Thai Spice Whipped Cream
Apple Brown Betty with Vanilla Ice Cream & Caramel Sauce
Espresso Breve, Cappucino

Ellen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 06:17:14 -0600, Andy wrote:

> Cleveland "Browns

Well, they *could* be the Brownies!

sf
ducking

Posted to rec.food.cooking
EchoSierra [X-No-Archive]

LOL...I'm a fifth gen Scruzer....and my Brother was a Banana Slug. Then
I lived in Eugene...land of the Ducks. Now I live near the Cocks.
Hmmmmmm......

Ellen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Denny Wheeler

On 20 Nov 2005 00:57:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Nancy wrote:
>
>> (It's a mighty good day when ... the Ducks humble the Beavers!)

>While I am proud to be an alumnus of Oregon State, I have to confess a
>sneaking suspicion that UO and OSU named EACH OTHER'S sports teams, using
>the least-intimidating names that came to mind. Ducks? Beavers? The only
>worse team name I've heard is closer to where I live now: UC Santa Cruz
>boasts the "Fightin' Banana Slugs."

The Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA has the Geoducks.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge