Julia Altshuler

Default peas and thank you

The winter up here was so cold this year that I got out as soon as I
could in April to plant something, anything; I didn't care as long as I
was digging. I planted peas which the package said could go in the
ground early. Yesterday I harvested peas. I don't think I'd ever
tasted them fresh before. I've always found the frozen ones to be
edible but nothing like this. These were candy just shelled and eaten raw.

I tossed them around in a little butter with carrots yesterday just long
enough to get them heated, then added some cream and grated cheese and
combined that with pasta. Very good.

I'd like more ideas. I'd put them raw in salads (I grew lettuce too),
but they're hard to capture with a fork. I understand that overcooking
is the enemy of fresh peas. Stir fried with other vegetables and served
over rice? I feel like I've got gold and don't want to waste it. I
have enough for about 3-4 more meals.

--Lia

The Joneses

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> The winter up here was so cold this year that I got out as soon as I
> could in April to plant something, anything; I didn't care as long as I
> was digging. I planted peas which the package said could go in the
> ground early. Yesterday I harvested peas. I don't think I'd ever
> tasted them fresh before. I've always found the frozen ones to be
> edible but nothing like this. These were candy just shelled and eaten raw.
> I tossed them around in a little butter with carrots yesterday just long
> enough to get them heated, then added some cream and grated cheese and
> combined that with pasta. Very good.
> I'd like more ideas. I'd put them raw in salads (I grew lettuce too),
> but they're hard to capture with a fork. I understand that overcooking
> is the enemy of fresh peas. Stir fried with other vegetables and served
> over rice? I feel like I've got gold and don't want to waste it. I
> have enough for about 3-4 more meals.
> --Lia

I pickled crisp new sugar snap peas (a different pea altogether) and loved
them. Then I pickled regular peas when I bought the wrong kind in a blond
moment. Whatever you do, don't pickle them. They weren't awful, but they
weren't great either.
Edrena

Julia Altshuler

The Joneses wrote:

> I pickled crisp new sugar snap peas (a different pea altogether) and loved
> them. Then I pickled regular peas when I bought the wrong kind in a blond
> moment. Whatever you do, don't pickle them. They weren't awful, but they
> weren't great either.

Thanks. Tonight was boiled buttered potatoes with peas. Quite nice,
but I'm realizing I prefer peas picked early and eaten as pods in stir
fry. There's something nice about the sweetness and crunch. Shelled
peas are a nice change, but next year I start picking earlier.

--Lia

Jud McCranie

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 03:30:50 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> I don't think I'd ever
>tasted them fresh before. I've always found the frozen ones to be
>edible but nothing like this.

It makes all the difference in the world.

---
Replace you know what by j to email
The Joneses

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > I pickled crisp new sugar snap peas (a different pea altogether) and loved
> > them. Then I pickled regular peas when I bought the wrong kind in a blond
> > moment. Whatever you do, don't pickle them. They weren't awful, but they
> > weren't great either.

> Thanks. Tonight was boiled buttered potatoes with peas. Quite nice,
> but I'm realizing I prefer peas picked early and eaten as pods in stir
> fry. There's something nice about the sweetness and crunch. Shelled
> peas are a nice change, but next year I start picking earlier.
>
> --Lia

Try planting those sugar snap peas, the pods are meant to be eaten and they
plump up nice and crisp as opposed to the traditional limp lengthy sugar peas.
They make fabulous refrigerator pickles. They are much too delicate to be
canned, but they last for weeks in the fridge.
Then there is my mum's favorite - peas n' leetle onions in a cream sauce,
sprinkle of dill or ?
Edrena

Julia Altshuler

The Joneses wrote:

> Try planting those sugar snap peas, the pods are meant to be eaten and they
> plump up nice and crisp as opposed to the traditional limp lengthy sugar peas.

I planted 3 sorts of peas. Two said on the seed package that they were
meant to picked when filled out and plump for shelling to get the peas
inside. The other said that it was a cultivar for eating as a snap pea,
picked early before there are bumps on the pod, eat the whole pod. I
can see a difference in shape but can't taste a difference. There might
be one, but I don't have enough experience to tell. For me, it is all
in when they're picked. Next year I'll take your advice and experiment
with still more different sorts.

--Lia

Two Peas In A Pod Brooklyn1 General Cooking 25 06-04-2013 05:42 PM
Peas and Bacon Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 3 01-04-2013 10:28 PM
peas A Moose In Love General Cooking 19 20-07-2010 09:54 PM
Mmm... Peas! Julie Bove Diabetic 24 19-05-2009 02:44 AM
peas and thank you Julia Altshuler General Cooking 15 05-07-2004 09:11 PM