Old 15-05-2009, 03:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Mmm... Peas!

I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one of
my favorite vegetables.

When I was pregnant and had GD, the dietician I saw chastised me for eating
them and said I should eat dried beans instead because they contained more
protein. So I quit eating them.

Then when I was diagnosed with type 2, peas still had an inferior stigma in
my mind, so I did without them save for a lone pea or two snatched from
Angela's plate when she wasn't looking.

Then one day I realized that dietician was just full of it, so I began
eating them again. Not a lot and not often. But I did put them
occasionally in soup and in tuna casserole.

Then Angela was diagnosed with an allergy to peas. I got rid of all the
peas in the house (except for the Newman's Own pretzels with pea
protein...she's also allergic to wheat) which I eat on occasion for a snack.
She also loves peas and I felt it would be mean for me to eat them in front
of her. She loves them so much that she kept taking them at the salad bar,
then realizing what she had done. She would have to make another salad for
herself and give that one to her dad.

But tonight I made tuna casserole and decided I just HAD to have some peas
with it. So I bought two little cans. Yes, cans. I grew up on canned
vegetables and they taste just fine to me, with a few exceptions like
asparagus.

The casserole was made differently than usual because I got a double order
of cremini mushrooms. Perhaps I should have called it mushroom casserole
with added tuna and macaroni. I used a 2 quart casserole and there was
about 1" of cooked rice macaroni on the bottom of it.

The sauce was made with dried mushrooms (from Costco) ground to a powder.
There was about a cup after being ground. This was mixed into a slurp of
olive oil and thinned down with a little rice milk. I cooked this for a
couple of minutes then added some Just Onions (minced freeze dried onions),
parsley, salt and pepper and the two containers of mushrooms that had been
chopped.

The sauce and three cans of Kirkland tuna (Costco brand) were added to fill
the casserole about 3/4 of the way full.

Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.

But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.

Old 15-05-2009, 04:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
[...]

That sounds good, Julie.

Jun just made some BBQ'd garlicy pork short ribs for me. Sriracha sauce for
dipping. That's good, too! ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Old 15-05-2009, 05:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one of
my favorite vegetables.

snip

Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.

But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.

Peas and pearl onions in bechamel sauce. Memories of my childhood.

I adore peas. Hot, cold, pease porridge, soup... Definitely a required
addition to tuna casserole no matter what, IMO.

Vicki
Old 15-05-2009, 09:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"percy" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one
of my favorite vegetables.

snip

Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.

But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.

Peas and pearl onions in bechamel sauce. Memories of my childhood.

I adore peas. Hot, cold, pease porridge, soup... Definitely a required
addition to tuna casserole no matter what, IMO.

Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
thing.

Old 15-05-2009, 11:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"percy" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one
of my favorite vegetables.

snip

Husband hated his portion but Angela and I loved it and there was enough
left (wouldn't have been any if husband liked it) for her lunch tomorrow.

But the peas!!!! I sprinkled a few spoonfuls over the top of mine. Yum,
yum! I had forgotten what peas tasted like. They were soooo good.

Peas and pearl onions in bechamel sauce. Memories of my childhood.

I adore peas. Hot, cold, pease porridge, soup... Definitely a required
addition to tuna casserole no matter what, IMO.

Really? My mom always put them in there so I assumed that was a normal
thing.

Ummm... isn't he agreeing?

I used to put peas into tuna casserole all the time, but now I mostly
double up on the mushrooms. But fresh peas are just around the corner,
and I cannot wait!

PP

Old 16-05-2009, 01:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"percy" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I use Frozen peas in my Tuna Casserole. I would love to do mushrooms...but
hubby does not like them...but I do us Cream of mushroom soup...he thinks
the small pieces of mushrooms are tuna....

Old 16-05-2009, 03:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"percy" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

My husband likes peas in tuna casserole. But the tuna casserole he likes
has regular wheat and egg pasta and cream of mushroom soup in it. Angela
and I can't have that kind. I used a rice and quinoa blend pasta and had to
make my own mushroom soup. I think that's the part he didn't like. And
perhaps the fact that I used canned tuna. We've gotten used to the kind in
the pouch and personally I think it tastes a LOT better.

Old 16-05-2009, 03:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

m...

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"percy" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I chop the mushrooms in my Magic Bullet. When I knife chopped them and left
larger pieces, Angela freaked. She thinks she does not like mushrooms.

Old 16-05-2009, 05:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

m...

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"percy" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

A Mom has got to what she needs to do...LOL. I read somewhere that allot of
Mom's are very creative when it comes making sure their kids get their
veggies

Old 16-05-2009, 05:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"percy" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I like the pouch Salmon...for Salmon Patties...don't think I have had the
pouched Tuna. My husband likes the pouched Smoked Salmon to munch on. The
only way I can eat Salmon is in Patties.

Old 16-05-2009, 07:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

I like the pouch Salmon...for Salmon Patties...don't think I have had the
pouched Tuna. My husband likes the pouched Smoked Salmon to munch on. The
only way I can eat Salmon is in Patties.

Blech. My mom used to make them with the canned salmon. I don't like
salmon in most cases. I did make some little tea sandwiches years ago that
had salmon and pineapple in them and I actually liked those but they tasted
like tuna to me and not salmon.

Old 16-05-2009, 07:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

m...

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"percy" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Yes. There are a few she will eat willingly and will eat those every day.
But she needs more variety.

Old 16-05-2009, 06:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "Julie Bove" wrote:

: "percy" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:
: I haven't had any peas for a very long time. They have always been one
: of my favorite vegetables.
:
:
: snip
:
[...]

I love peas but generally don't eat the shelled kind anymore. In season I
do eat the sugar snap peas which are eaten pod and all. they are elcious
and the starch pea is only a small part of the whoe thing so it doesn't do
a number on my bgs. Tht season is also coing up fast:-)

Wendy
Old 16-05-2009, 06:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: My husband likes peas in tuna casserole. But the tuna casserole he likes
: has regular wheat and egg pasta and cream of mushroom soup in it. Angela
: and I can't have that kind. I used a rice and quinoa blend pasta and had to
: make my own mushroom soup. I think that's the part he didn't like. And
: perhaps the fact that I used canned tuna. We've gotten used to the kind in
: the pouch and personally I think it tastes a LOT better.

As to the noodles, coul dyou make the cassarole withut noodles and make up
two batches of noodles, one for you husband and one, rice quinoa, for you
and Angela an dspoon the cassarole onto the noodles?

Wendy

Old 16-05-2009, 10:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"percy" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I would agree with you that the pouch tuna is better.

About the home made mushroom soup, try this;

Cook and reserve your mushrooms or else just finely chop them in your
processor.

Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a saucepan
Add some flour, salt and pepper to it to soak up all the butter.
Now add a generous amount of cold milk to that and a chicken bouillion cube
and stir over heat till it thickens.
Add in your sauteed or finely chopped mushrooms and cook for a minute or two
more.

This ought to taste as good or better than the canned stuff.

If you can't use the flour, I would suggest using corn starch or arrowroot
powder dissolved in a little water first, and adding that to the hot milk to
thicken.
--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa

Two Peas In A Pod Brooklyn1 General Cooking 25 06-04-2013 05:42 PM
Peas and Bacon Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 3 01-04-2013 10:28 PM
peas A Moose In Love General Cooking 19 20-07-2010 09:54 PM
peas and thank you Julia Altshuler General Cooking 15 05-07-2004 09:11 PM
peas and thank you Julia Altshuler General Cooking 5 02-07-2004 06:53 PM