stark

Default Brining Question

Is it worthwhile to brine Kroger's "moist and tender" pork which is
already injected with some sort of saline solution?

tks

Michael Odom

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:02:25 GMT, stark >
wrote:

>Is it worthwhile to brine Kroger's "moist and tender" pork which is
>already injected with some sort of saline solution?
>
>tks

I'd think not.

modom
Mark Preston

Michael Odom > wrote in message <snip>

> I'd think not.

I respectfully disagree.

I have "soaked" supermarket hams in ice water overnight and then
smoked them. In tasting the soaked hams, before smoking (with apricot
wood), the flavor had truly vanished. 8 to 12 # hams.

IMHO, soak the loins in water with ice in it. The meat must be weighed
down and soaked overnight. Do not be alarmed that the meat feels slimy
(spongey) in the morning. There should be no need to do more than to
put it into your ready made flavoring.

A brine is salt and water. A pickle is salt, water and sugar. A
marinade is a pickle with or without sugar and anything else.
Karen O'Mara

stark > wrote in message >. ..
> Is it worthwhile to brine Kroger's "moist and tender" pork which is
> already injected with some sort of saline solution?

Maybe it would leech some of the salt out, which would be a good thing?

Karen
Michael Odom

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:36:33 GMT, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>Michael Odom > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:02:25 GMT, stark >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Is it worthwhile to brine Kroger's "moist and tender" pork which is
>>>already injected with some sort of saline solution?
>>>
>>>tks

>> I'd think not.
>>
>> modom
>>

>No. And it's not worth buying, either.

Some places, like Cow Hill, it's the only stuff available. It's
getting that bad.

modom
B.Server

wrote:

>Is it worthwhile to brine Kroger's "moist and tender" pork which is
>already injected with some sort of saline solution?
>
>tks

IMO, no. However, it would be worthwhile to shop for unadulterated
pork rather than buying extremely expensive water and salt. You can
do a much better job than Kroger's of brining and flavoring your pork.

Brining question Ed Pawlowski[_2_] General Cooking 9 24-04-2011 04:13 AM
Brining Question Chuck Kopsho General Cooking 3 26-06-2006 06:12 AM
Brining question Henry D Barbecue 4 08-06-2004 01:38 AM
yet another brining question elaine General Cooking 2 23-12-2003 03:48 PM
Another brining question Kent H. Barbecue 4 25-11-2003 03:55 PM