Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brining Question

Could anyone here please tell me what the brining process is? I see
references to it here in this newsgroup, but don't know how it's done.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chuck Kopsho" > wrote in message
> Could anyone here please tell me what the brining process is? I see
> references to it here in this newsgroup, but don't know how it's done.
> Thanks in advance.

It is a way of adding moisture to meat, especially poultry, so it does not
dry out when cooked. It is a process of osmosis that does the deed.

Cup of salt, cup of sugar, gallon of water is a good start.

If you are buying that already seasoned injected stuff, it will not accept a
brining as it is already saturated. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/imag...ningbasics.pdf
I use Morton's Tender Quick brining cure.becasue it has a fine salt and
sugar that dissolves eaisly and then add the spice(s) de Jour. Bay leaf,
cumin, chile, corandier, fennel, orange, lemon, pineapple rind, ginger,
thyme, rosemary, garlic, soy, maggi, etc, etc.What every you crave or have
on hand that you think might give good flavor is fine. Be careful this is
addictive

"Chuck Kopsho" > wrote in message
> Could anyone here please tell me what the brining process is? I see
> references to it here in this newsgroup, but don't know how it's done.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck Kopsho
> Oceanside, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chuck Kopsho wrote:

> Could anyone here please tell me what the brining process is? I see
> references to it here in this newsgroup, but don't know how it's done.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck Kopsho
> Oceanside, California

Here's my favorite Chicken brine recipe. Even better if you put it on a
rotisserie afterward. I usually double the brine so it covers the
entire chicken, but you should still flip it after 6 hours anyhow.

Honey Brined Chicken with Lemon and Sage
Recipe courtesy Michael Symon

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 12 minutes Yield: 4 servings

1 (3 to 4 pound) whole chicken
~
4 ounces honey
4 ounces salt
1 quart water
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic sliced
~
6 sage leaves
6 thin slices lemon seeds removed
~
2 ounces olive oil

Mix honey, salt, water, bay leaves, and garlic together. Pull skin
away from chicken just enough to place sage leaves and lemon slices
under skin. Truss the chicken and tie the other end of the butcher's
twine to the pot handle for a quick retrieval of the brined chicken.
Place chicken in liquid and let sit in cooler for 12 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place chicken on roasting rack in oven and brush with olive oil. Bake
for about 45 to 50 minutes or until juices run clear.

(I cover with foil till the last 30 min of cooking time, as it tends to
burn)

Brining question Ed Pawlowski[_2_] General Cooking 9 24-04-2011 04:13 AM
Brining Question stark General Cooking 7 23-06-2004 06:53 PM
Brining question Henry D Barbecue 4 08-06-2004 01:38 AM
yet another brining question elaine General Cooking 2 23-12-2003 03:48 PM
Another brining question Kent H. Barbecue 4 25-11-2003 03:55 PM