Henry D

Default Brining question

Hello all.

I purchased a Tyson bone-in pork shoulder picnic roast (8.4 lbs) with
the intention of brining it, slapping on some rub, and then slow
smoking for pulled pork. I've done pulled pork a few times before and
they all turned out pretty good. However, this will be my first
attempt at brining anything.

I just noticed on the packaging of the Tyson roast that it "contains
up to an 8% solution". I'm assuming that this solution is for
flavoring or preservation or both. If the solution is added for
flavoring, is brining even necessary? Thanks!
Regards,

Henry D. --------->

Anti-Spam measure in place. To reply, remove "spamfree".
Duwop

> I just noticed on the packaging of the Tyson roast that it "contains
> up to an 8% solution". I'm assuming that this solution is for
> flavoring or preservation or both.

It's to increase their profit margin, water is cheaper than meat, and they
get to charge meat prices. Gotta love it, their stockholders do.

> If the solution is added for
> flavoring, is brining even necessary? Thanks!

That cut is probably brined a bit already, the ingredients list(!) probably
will show a fair amount of salt/sodium.

Over brined pork=ham .
I havent been too enthusiastic of brining results other than in poultry. But
you might disagree.

Reg

Henry D wrote:

> I purchased a Tyson bone-in pork shoulder picnic roast (8.4 lbs) with
> the intention of brining it, slapping on some rub, and then slow
> smoking for pulled pork. I've done pulled pork a few times before and
> they all turned out pretty good. However, this will be my first
> attempt at brining anything.
>
> I just noticed on the packaging of the Tyson roast that it "contains
> up to an 8% solution". I'm assuming that this solution is for
> flavoring or preservation or both. If the solution is added for
> flavoring, is brining even necessary? Thanks!

For what reason would you consider brining your pork shoulder?
To increase moisture and water carrying capacity? I'd say
if your pulled pork (from butt or picnic) is turning out too
dry you have a big problem, but it's with either the meat itself
or your cooking technique.

I'd say don't brine it at all. In contrast, these are the pork
cuts that I do brine

- Pork belly, for bacon
- Loin, for canadian bacon
- Butt, for buckboard bacon
- Ham (back leg), for cured ham
- Hocks

Notice this is all stuff where I don't mind a 'hammy' flavor.

JakBQuik

"Reg" > wrote in message

> - Butt, for buckboard bacon

Lotsa good info there. Thanks, Reg.

Is buckboard bacon just slow smoked butt done like jerky? Seems real fatty
to do that. Anyway...what's buckboard bacon?

John in Austin

Reg

JakBQuik wrote:

> Lotsa good info there. Thanks, Reg.
>
> Is buckboard bacon just slow smoked butt done like jerky? Seems real fatty
> to do that. Anyway...what's buckboard bacon?

Bacon can be made from several different cuts. There is even a type
of bacon called 'beef bacon', all though I've seen strong objections
to the term

Buckboard bacon is cured all the way through then smoked at around 250 F
to about 150-155 F internal. It slices up nicely and is good for breakfast
bacon, but it's also good in other dishes that contain bacon or pancetta.
I've made ragu bolognese with it, for example.

The final internal temperature for smoked bacon depends on the cut.
Here's what I like.

Pork belly 128 F (or just cold smoke)
Boston butt 155 F
Pork Loin 145 F

Brining question Ed Pawlowski[_2_] General Cooking 9 24-04-2011 04:13 AM
Brining Question Chuck Kopsho General Cooking 3 26-06-2006 06:12 AM
Brining Question stark General Cooking 7 23-06-2004 06:53 PM
yet another brining question elaine General Cooking 2 23-12-2003 03:48 PM
Another brining question Kent H. Barbecue 4 25-11-2003 03:55 PM