elaine

Default yet another brining question

If I were to thaw the turkey in the brine - allowing of course for the
thawing and extra water, would that work? I'm nervous about thawing and
putting in the garage - who knows where the temp is going since I live in
Toronto.

Kent H.

I have thawed while brining. Use a relatively large food grade pail.
Garage temp. in the winter in Toronto should be fine. It's OK in
Northern California, about 36 degrees latitude. Night time garage temp.
is about 40-42. During the day you can throw a little ice, in a zip
locked bag, to keep the temp. in that range if you have to.
Happy Hol...
Kent

elaine wrote:

> If I were to thaw the turkey in the brine - allowing of course for the
> thawing and extra water, would that work? I'm nervous about thawing and
> putting in the garage - who knows where the temp is going since I live in
> Toronto.

Nick

I've done this with great success. I start the thing off with a fair ammount
of ice though. If you are planning on cooking it tomorrow or on the 25th you
may not need any. I've been known to brine as long as 4 or 5 days and I used
a much more concentrated solution than most recipies. However, I usually
remove a shelf in my fridge and let it brine and thaw in there.
As long as the water temp doesn't get above 40- your fine.

Good luck!

-N

"elaine" > wrote in message news:3fe77b82$1_2@aeinews....
> If I were to thaw the turkey in the brine - allowing of course for the
> thawing and extra water, would that work? I'm nervous about thawing and
> putting in the garage - who knows where the temp is going since I live in
> Toronto.

Brining question Ed Pawlowski[_2_] General Cooking 9 24-04-2011 04:13 AM
Brining Question Chuck Kopsho General Cooking 3 26-06-2006 06:12 AM
Brining Question stark General Cooking 7 23-06-2004 06:53 PM
Brining question Henry D Barbecue 4 08-06-2004 01:38 AM
Another brining question Kent H. Barbecue 4 25-11-2003 03:55 PM