Pandora

Default Chestnut dumplings

Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I went
to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
sea level.
Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
butter and sage.
And then some local cheese and salami.
I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
them because they were very very good.
I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
dish.
Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them like
I do:
http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg

When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
Cheers
Pandora

Shaun aRe

"Pandora" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I

went
> to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
> sea level.
> Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
> butter and sage.
> And then some local cheese and salami.
> I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
> them because they were very very good.
> I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
> dish.
> Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them

like
> I do:
> http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>
> When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
> Cheers
> Pandora

I'd love to see a recipe for those gnocchi! - They sound delicious.

Never heard of chestnut flour before, I must admit (I'm in the UK).

Cheers,

Shaun aRe

Jean B.

Pandora wrote:

> Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I went
> to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
> sea level.
> Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
> butter and sage.
> And then some local cheese and salami.
> I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
> them because they were very very good.
> I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
> dish.
> Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them like
> I do:
> http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>
> When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
> Cheers
> Pandora

I think I have seen it, but I have no idea where. Actually,
it might have been at Whole Foods. I would love to have the
recipe.

--
Jean B.
TammyM

"Pandora" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I

went
> to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
> sea level.
> Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
> butter and sage.
> And then some local cheese and salami.
> I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
> them because they were very very good.
> I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
> dish.
> Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them

like
> I do:
> http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>
> When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.

Great photos, Pandora. I've seen chestnut flour at the local natural foods
co-op and also a health food store. I would LOVE to see both your recipe
and a picture of those delicious sounding gnochhi!

Tammy
Sacramento, California (where it's "only" going to get up to 102F (38C)
today....)

Pandora

"Jean B." > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I
>> went
>> to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300
>> at
>> sea level.
>> Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned
>> with
>> butter and sage.
>> And then some local cheese and salami.
>> I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
>> them because they were very very good.
>> I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
>> dish.
>> Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them
>> like
>> I do:
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>>
>> When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> I think I have seen it, but I have no idea where. Actually, it might have
> been at Whole Foods. I would love to have the recipe.

I will make this week. Then I will tell you.
Cheers
Pandora.

> --
> Jean B.

Pandora

"TammyM" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>> Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I

> went
>> to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300
>> at
>> sea level.
>> Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned
>> with
>> butter and sage.
>> And then some local cheese and salami.
>> I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
>> them because they were very very good.
>> I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
>> dish.
>> Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them

> like
>> I do:
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>>
>> When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.

> Great photos, Pandora. I've seen chestnut flour at the local natural
> foods
> co-op and also a health food store. I would LOVE to see both your recipe
> and a picture of those delicious sounding gnochhi!

We have a supermarket called Coop, too ))
"Gnocchi di castagne" aren't made only with chestnut flour, but also with
potatoes. Pratically you mix the purea of boiled potatoes with flour just
like they was potatoes dumplings. I'll be more precise when I will do them.
Tahnk you and
Cheers
Pandora

> Tammy
> Sacramento, California (where it's "only" going to get up to 102F (38C)
> today....)

Boron Elgar

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:52:35 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I went
>to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
>sea level.
>Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
>butter and sage.
>And then some local cheese and salami.
>I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
>them because they were very very good.
>I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
>dish.
>Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them like
>I do:
>http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
>http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
>http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
>http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
>http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>
>When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
>Cheers
>Pandora

I would love a recipe. I have some wonderful sage in the garden that
would be perfect.

A cheese suggestion, too, please....Does this need to be a grated
cheese such as a Parmigiano or Pecorino? I wonder how a gorgonzola
would taste crumbled over the gnocchi?

Chestnut flour can easily be ordered online here in the US.

Boron
Bob

Pandora wrote:

> Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
> butter and sage.
> And then some local cheese and salami.
> I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
> them because they were very very good.
> I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
> dish.

Yes, I use chestnut flour in the wintertime to make chestnut polenta, which
I serve with pork braised in milk. It's a wonderful combination.

Bob

MOMPEAGRAM

"Pandora" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I
> went
> to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
> sea level.
> Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
> butter and sage.
> And then some local cheese and salami.
> I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
> them because they were very very good.
> I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
> dish.
> Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them
> like
> I do:
> http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>
> When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
> Cheers
> Pandora

How beautiful! Sounds like you enjoyed your trip. Look forward to your
dumplings.

MoM

Pandora

"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:52:35 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I
>>went
>>to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
>>sea level.
>>Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
>>butter and sage.
>>And then some local cheese and salami.
>>I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
>>them because they were very very good.
>>I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
>>dish.
>>Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them
>>like
>>I do:
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>>
>>When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
>>Cheers
>>Pandora
>>

> I would love a recipe. I have some wonderful sage in the garden that
> would be perfect.
>
> A cheese suggestion, too, please....Does this need to be a grated
> cheese such as a Parmigiano or Pecorino? I wonder how a gorgonzola
> would taste crumbled over the gnocchi?

Gorgonzola, IMHO, has a very hard taste, so it would cover delicacy of this
kind of Gnocchi. that's why they put over only butter and sage.
On the other hand, butter and sage, aren't so flavourful. Perhaps it would
go better a creamy sauce with walnuts, "Fontina" (a piedmontese cheese), few
milk to melt cheese and if you want few minced sausage. Yes, I think i will
do like this.
To make chestnut dumplings is very simple: boil 5-6 medium potatoes and when
they are soft, peel and squash them over the pastry board. Make an hole
inside. Then put in the hole two whole eggs and mix with potatoes. At this
point you can start to add chestnut flour. You must add flour till the
mixture is rather hard.
Then you take a piece of mixture (as big as a tennis ball) and roll it over
the floured pastry board (back and forth) with the hand's palms. It should
comes out a long snake of pastry ( about one centimeter of diameter) that
you will cut with a knife in little rectangle of about 2 centimeters lenght.
Put your Gnocchi on a big and floured tray (if you want you can froze them
with the tray, and when they are hard you can put in a freezer container).
When the salted water boil (put in the water also 1-2 spoons of oil), plunge
gnocchi and mix a little (with a long spoon) only the first time. Gnocchi
are ready when they come on the surface.
This is what I will do next saturday. Then I will tell you, but if you want
to try before., you can follow this recipe.

> Chestnut flour can easily be ordered online here in the US.

Is a fortune ))

Cheers
Pandora

Pandora

"Bob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned
>> with
>> butter and sage.
>> And then some local cheese and salami.
>> I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
>> them because they were very very good.
>> I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
>> dish.

> Yes, I use chestnut flour in the wintertime to make chestnut polenta,
> which
> I serve with pork braised in milk. It's a wonderful combination.

This is a very good idea! I've never made it. I must try. Coul you give me
the recipe also for pork braised in milk? I make a pork roast with milk; I
want to confront my recipe with yours.
Thank you.
Pandora

Pandora

"MOMPEAGRAM" > ha scritto nel messaggio
news:1122483602.b56797b9935b7e705a23f077d22b42e1@t eranews...

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>> Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I
>> went
>> to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300
>> at
>> sea level.
>> Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned
>> with
>> butter and sage.
>> And then some local cheese and salami.
>> I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
>> them because they were very very good.
>> I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
>> dish.
>> Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them
>> like
>> I do:
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>>
>> When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> How beautiful! Sounds like you enjoyed your trip. Look forward to your
> dumplings.

Yes! Thank you.
Cheers
Pandora

Dee Randall

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> [...]

> the mixture is rather hard.
> Then you take a piece of mixture (as big as a tennis ball) and roll it
> over the floured pastry board (back and forth) with the hand's palms. It
> should comes out a long snake of pastry ( about one centimeter of
> diameter) that you will cut with a knife in little rectangle of about 2
> centimeters lenght.
> Put your Gnocchi on a big and floured tray (if you want you can froze them
> with the tray, and when they are hard you can put in a freezer container).
> When the salted water boil (put in the water also 1-2 spoons of oil),
> plunge gnocchi and mix a little (with a long spoon) only the first time.
> Gnocchi are ready when they come on the surface.
> This is what I will do next saturday. Then I will tell you, but if you
> want to try before., you can follow this recipe.
>
>> Chestnut flour can easily be ordered online here in the US.

I've been looking all over for this for perhaps 6 months (or more) and can
only find Wisconsin, Swedish and Danish Fontina. Nosiree, no Italian
Fontina.
Dee Dee

Pandora

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> I would love a recipe. I have some wonderful sage in the garden that
>>> would be perfect.
>>>
>>> A cheese suggestion, too, please....Does this need to be a grated
>>> cheese such as a Parmigiano or Pecorino? I wonder how a gorgonzola
>>> would taste crumbled over the gnocchi?

>> Gorgonzola, IMHO, has a very hard taste, so it would cover delicacy of
>> this kind of Gnocchi. that's why they put over only butter and sage.
>> On the other hand, butter and sage, aren't so flavourful. Perhaps it
>> would go better a creamy sauce with walnuts, "Fontina" (a piedmontese
>> cheese), few milk to melt cheese and if you want few minced sausage. Yes,
>> I think i will do like this.
>> To make chestnut dumplings is very simple: boil 5-6 medium potatoes and
>> when they are soft, peel and squash them over the pastry board. Make an
>> hole inside. Then put in the hole two whole eggs and mix with potatoes.
>> At this point you can start to add chestnut flour. You must add flour
>> till the mixture is rather hard.
>> Then you take a piece of mixture (as big as a tennis ball) and roll it
>> over the floured pastry board (back and forth) with the hand's palms. It
>> should comes out a long snake of pastry ( about one centimeter of
>> diameter) that you will cut with a knife in little rectangle of about 2
>> centimeters lenght.
>> Put your Gnocchi on a big and floured tray (if you want you can froze
>> them with the tray, and when they are hard you can put in a freezer
>> container).
>> When the salted water boil (put in the water also 1-2 spoons of oil),
>> plunge gnocchi and mix a little (with a long spoon) only the first time.
>> Gnocchi are ready when they come on the surface.
>> This is what I will do next saturday. Then I will tell you, but if you
>> want to try before., you can follow this recipe.
>>
>>> Chestnut flour can easily be ordered online here in the US.

>> Is a fortune ))
>>
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> "Fontina" (a piedmontese cheese),
>
> I've been looking all over for this for perhaps 6 months (or more) and can
> only find Wisconsin, Swedish and Danish Fontina. Nosiree, no Italian
> Fontina.
> Dee Dee

Ohhhhh! It's a very pity!!! And have you got french cheese? *Raclette* is a
very good cheese and very similar to fontina!
Pandora (

Dee Randall

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> Gorgonzola, IMHO, has a very hard taste, so it would cover delicacy of
>>> this kind of Gnocchi. that's why they put over only butter and sage.
>>> On the other hand, butter and sage, aren't so flavourful. Perhaps it
>>> would go better a creamy sauce with walnuts, "Fontina" (a piedmontese
>>> cheese), few milk to melt cheese and if you want few minced sausage.
>>> Yes, I think i will do like this.
>>> To make chestnut dumplings is very simple: boil 5-6 medium potatoes and
>>> when they are soft, peel and squash them over the pastry board. Make an
>>> hole inside. Then put in the hole two whole eggs and mix with potatoes.
>>> At this point you can start to add chestnut flour. You must add flour
>>> till the mixture is rather hard.
>>> Then you take a piece of mixture (as big as a tennis ball) and roll it
>>> over the floured pastry board (back and forth) with the hand's palms. It
>>> should comes out a long snake of pastry ( about one centimeter of
>>> diameter) that you will cut with a knife in little rectangle of about 2
>>> centimeters lenght.
>>> Put your Gnocchi on a big and floured tray (if you want you can froze
>>> them with the tray, and when they are hard you can put in a freezer
>>> container).
>>> When the salted water boil (put in the water also 1-2 spoons of oil),
>>> plunge gnocchi and mix a little (with a long spoon) only the first time.
>>> Gnocchi are ready when they come on the surface.
>>> This is what I will do next saturday. Then I will tell you, but if you
>>> want to try before., you can follow this recipe.

>>> Is a fortune ))
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora
>>>

>> "Fontina" (a piedmontese cheese),
>>
>> I've been looking all over for this for perhaps 6 months (or more) and
>> can only find Wisconsin, Swedish and Danish Fontina. Nosiree, no Italian
>> Fontina.
>> Dee Dee

> Ohhhhh! It's a very pity!!! And have you got french cheese? *Raclette* is
> a very good cheese and very similar to fontina!
> Pandora (

I believe I saw Raclette other day at Trader Joe's. I'll look for it.
I found at Wegman's a wonderful cheese I hadn't had in years, Morbier. For
those who don't know it
http://www.interfrance.com/en/fc/ga_la-fromagerie.html & stroll down to
'Morbier.' It was heaven.

Thanks for sending pictures of Switzerland -- I've only been there a few
times,. There is a place settled in West Virginia by the Swiss, called
Helvetia. People flock there in the summer for some sort of festival. It
is very remote and mountainous -- but, of course, not like Switzerland's
mountains.
Dee Dee

Pandora

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message

>>> "Fontina" (a piedmontese cheese),
>>>
>>> I've been looking all over for this for perhaps 6 months (or more) and
>>> can only find Wisconsin, Swedish and Danish Fontina. Nosiree, no
>>> Italian Fontina.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Ohhhhh! It's a very pity!!! And have you got french cheese? *Raclette* is
>> a very good cheese and very similar to fontina!
>> Pandora (

> I believe I saw Raclette other day at Trader Joe's. I'll look for it.
> I found at Wegman's a wonderful cheese I hadn't had in years, Morbier.
> For those who don't know it
> http://www.interfrance.com/en/fc/ga_la-fromagerie.html & stroll down to
> 'Morbier.' It was heaven.

Yes! i saw raclette! I think is better than fontina!!! And I saw Morbier! I
haven't tasted it but I think (at a first look) it is the middle between a
Fontina and a Gorgonzola,but mor hard and soft than Gorgonzola! I think it
is ok for this preparation.

> Thanks for sending pictures of Switzerland -- I've only been there a few
> times,. There is a place settled in West Virginia by the Swiss, called
> Helvetia. People flock there in the summer for some sort of festival. It
> is very remote and mountainous -- but, of course, not like Switzerland's
> mountains.

Nice! You have a little part of Europe )))
Let me know what kind of cheese you'll be able to find !!!!Cheers
Pandora

sf

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:52:35 +0200, Pandora wrote:

> http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg

What's a totem pole doing in Italy?
Doug Freyburger

sf wrote:
> Pandora wrote:
>
> > http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg

> What's a totem pole doing in Italy?

Trying to beat the Roving Gnome to the recipe
for chestnut dumplings, of course.

Bob

Pandora replied:

>> I use chestnut flour in the wintertime to make chestnut polenta, which
>> I serve with pork braised in milk. It's a wonderful combination.

> This is a very good idea! I've never made it. I must try. Coul you give me
> the recipe also for pork braised in milk? I make a pork roast with milk; I
> want to confront my recipe with yours.

This is the recipe I follow; it was posted by evergene in this group back in
1995:

This recipe and the next one come from "The Classic Italian Cookbook", by
Marcella Hazan. They are interesting and very tasty. Be advised, however,
that Ms. Hazan is, uh, fussy. (We used to refer to her as "She Who Must Be
Obeyed".) Note that she calls for slices of meat "3/8 inch thick."

Pork Loin Braised in Milk
(from "The Classic Italian Cookbook", by Marcella Hazan)

(She writes Pork loin cooked by this method turns out to be exceptionally
tender and juicy. It is quite delicate, because it loses all its fat and
the milk, as such, disappears, to be replaced by clusters of delicious,
nut-brown sauce.)

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds pork loin in one piece, with some fat on it, securely tied
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups milk

1. Heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat in a casserole large enough
to just contain the pork. When the butter foam subsides add the meat, fat
side facing down. Brown thoroughly on all sides, lowering the heat if the
butter starts to turn dark brown.

2. Add the salt, pepper and milk. (Add the milk slowly, otherwise it may
boil over.) Shortly after the milk comes to a boil, turn the heat down to
medium, cover, but not tightly, with the lid partly askew, and cook slowly
for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the meat is easily pierced by a fork.
Turn and baste the meat from time to time, and, if necessary, add a little
milk. By the time the meat is cooked the milk should have coagulated into
small nut-brown clusters. If it is still pale in color, uncover the pot,
raise the heat to high, and cook briskly until it darkens.

3. Remove the meat to a cutting board and allow to cool off slightly for a
few minutes. Remove the trussing string, carve into slices 3/8 inch thick,
and arrange them on a warm platter. Draw off most of the fat from the pot
with a spoon and discard, being careful not to discard any of the coagulated
milk clusters. Taste and correct for salt. (There may be as much as 1 to 1
1/2 cups of fat to be removed.) Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of warm water, turn
the heat to high, and boil away the water while scraping and loosening all
the cooking residue in the pot. Spoon the sauce over the sliced pork and
serve immediately.

Although it isn't authentic, I usually add prunes or dried apricots to the
milk right at the beginning.

Bob

Pandora

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:52:35 +0200, Pandora wrote:
>
>> http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg

> What's a totem pole doing in Italy?

It was made by the Italians Indians))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
(I don't know, but in nothern Italy there are many trees and many
sculptors!!!)
Cheers
Pandora

Arri London

Shaun aRe wrote:

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
> > Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I

> went
> > to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
> > sea level.
> > Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
> > butter and sage.
> > And then some local cheese and salami.
> > I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
> > them because they were very very good.
> > I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
> > dish.
> > Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them

> like
> > I do:
> > http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
> > http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
> > http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
> > http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
> > http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
> >
> > When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
> > Cheers
> > Pandora

> I'd love to see a recipe for those gnocchi! - They sound delicious.
>
> Never heard of chestnut flour before, I must admit (I'm in the UK).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Shaun aRe

Many whole food shops carry chestnut flour, as do Italian delis in
London.
Boron Elgar

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:09:13 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .

>>>When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
>>>Cheers
>>>Pandora
>>>

>> I would love a recipe. I have some wonderful sage in the garden that
>> would be perfect.
>>
>> A cheese suggestion, too, please....Does this need to be a grated
>> cheese such as a Parmigiano or Pecorino? I wonder how a gorgonzola
>> would taste crumbled over the gnocchi?

>Gorgonzola, IMHO, has a very hard taste, so it would cover delicacy of this
>kind of Gnocchi. that's why they put over only butter and sage.
>On the other hand, butter and sage, aren't so flavourful. Perhaps it would
>go better a creamy sauce with walnuts, "Fontina" (a piedmontese cheese), few
>milk to melt cheese and if you want few minced sausage. Yes, I think i will
>do like this.
>To make chestnut dumplings is very simple: boil 5-6 medium potatoes and when
>they are soft, peel and squash them over the pastry board. Make an hole
>inside. Then put in the hole two whole eggs and mix with potatoes. At this
>point you can start to add chestnut flour. You must add flour till the
>mixture is rather hard.
>Then you take a piece of mixture (as big as a tennis ball) and roll it over
>the floured pastry board (back and forth) with the hand's palms. It should
>comes out a long snake of pastry ( about one centimeter of diameter) that
>you will cut with a knife in little rectangle of about 2 centimeters lenght.
>Put your Gnocchi on a big and floured tray (if you want you can froze them
>with the tray, and when they are hard you can put in a freezer container).
>When the salted water boil (put in the water also 1-2 spoons of oil), plunge
>gnocchi and mix a little (with a long spoon) only the first time. Gnocchi
>are ready when they come on the surface.
>This is what I will do next saturday. Then I will tell you, but if you want
>to try before., you can follow this recipe.
>
>> Chestnut flour can easily be ordered online here in the US.

>Is a fortune ))
>
>Cheers
>Pandora

Potatoes? Like a regular gnocchi? I had looked around on the net and
most recipes had just the chestnut and regular or wheat flour. How
interesting!

Thank you so much.

Gloria
Dee Randall

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Shaun aRe wrote:
>>
>> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>> > Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I

>> went
>> > to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300
>> > at
>> > sea level.
>> > Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned
>> > with
>> > butter and sage.
>> > And then some local cheese and salami.
>> > I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to
>> > make
>> > them because they were very very good.
>> > I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for
>> > this
>> > dish.
>> > Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them

>> like
>> > I do:
>> > http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
>> > http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
>> > http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
>> > http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
>> > http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>> >
>> > When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
>> > Cheers
>> > Pandora

>> I'd love to see a recipe for those gnocchi! - They sound delicious.
>>
>> Never heard of chestnut flour before, I must admit (I'm in the UK).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Shaun aRe

> Many whole food shops carry chestnut flour, as do Italian delis in
> London.

I've bought Chestnut flour in Asian markets and Indian (the continent)
markets.
Dee Dee

Carole Beard

Pandora

> [...]

> 3. Remove the meat to a cutting board and allow to cool off slightly for
> few minutes. Remove the trussing string, carve into slices 3/8 inch
> thick,
> and arrange them on a warm platter. Draw off most of the fat from the pot
> with a spoon and discard, being careful not to discard any of the
> coagulated
> milk clusters. Taste and correct for salt. (There may be as much as 1 to
> 1
> 1/2 cups of fat to be removed.) Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of warm water,
> turn
> the heat to high, and boil away the water while scraping and loosening all
> the cooking residue in the pot. Spoon the sauce over the sliced pork and
> serve immediately.
>
> Although it isn't authentic, I usually add prunes or dried apricots to the

Thank you Bob. Good recipe!
My recipe is similar. The only differences are these:
1) I lard the meat with pieces of bacon;
2) I brown the meat in butter and oil with a cloves of garlic and some
rosemary (rosemary give a particular and good taste to this dish), then I
wet with 1/2 glass of white wine.
3) I put a spoon of mustard in the milk.
4) I cook the pork in the oven for about 45 minutes;
I have made another dish with pork. Very very goooood!
It is loin with ananas and apples.
Cheers Bob and thanks for the recipe!
Pandora

Pandora

"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:09:13 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..

>>> I would love a recipe. I have some wonderful sage in the garden that
>>> would be perfect.
>>>
>>> A cheese suggestion, too, please....Does this need to be a grated
>>> cheese such as a Parmigiano or Pecorino? I wonder how a gorgonzola
>>> would taste crumbled over the gnocchi?

>>Gorgonzola, IMHO, has a very hard taste, so it would cover delicacy of
>>this
>>kind of Gnocchi. that's why they put over only butter and sage.
>>On the other hand, butter and sage, aren't so flavourful. Perhaps it would
>>go better a creamy sauce with walnuts, "Fontina" (a piedmontese cheese),
>>few
>>milk to melt cheese and if you want few minced sausage. Yes, I think i
>>will
>>do like this.
>>To make chestnut dumplings is very simple: boil 5-6 medium potatoes and
>>when
>>they are soft, peel and squash them over the pastry board. Make an hole
>>inside. Then put in the hole two whole eggs and mix with potatoes. At this
>>point you can start to add chestnut flour. You must add flour till the
>>mixture is rather hard.
>>Then you take a piece of mixture (as big as a tennis ball) and roll it
>>over
>>the floured pastry board (back and forth) with the hand's palms. It should
>>comes out a long snake of pastry ( about one centimeter of diameter) that
>>you will cut with a knife in little rectangle of about 2 centimeters
>>lenght.
>>Put your Gnocchi on a big and floured tray (if you want you can froze them
>>with the tray, and when they are hard you can put in a freezer container).
>>When the salted water boil (put in the water also 1-2 spoons of oil),
>>plunge
>>gnocchi and mix a little (with a long spoon) only the first time. Gnocchi
>>are ready when they come on the surface.
>>This is what I will do next saturday. Then I will tell you, but if you
>>want
>>to try before., you can follow this recipe.
>>
>>> Chestnut flour can easily be ordered online here in the US.

>>Is a fortune ))
>>
>>Cheers
>>Pandora
>>

> Potatoes? Like a regular gnocchi? I had looked around on the net and
> most recipes had just the chestnut and regular or wheat flour. How
> interesting!
> Thank you so much.
> Gloria

I Am sure that if you put only flour, Gnocchi come out too hard and
difficult to digest!!!!
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora

"Carole Beard" > ha scritto nel messaggio ...
Recipe please. Thank you, and enjoy while you are there.

Thank you Carole! What beautiful flowered signature you have!!!!!!!
I'll give you recipe as soon as possible. I will make Gnocchi today or tomorrow.
Cheers
Pandora

Shaun aRe

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Shaun aRe wrote:
> >
> > "Pandora" > wrote in message
> > > Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte.

> > went
> > > to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at

1300 at
> > > sea level.
> > > Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned

with
> > > butter and sage.
> > > And then some local cheese and salami.
> > > I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to

make
> > > them because they were very very good.
> > > I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for

this
> > > dish.
> > > Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them

> > like
> > > I do:
> > > http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
> > > http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
> > > http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
> > > http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
> > > http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
> > >
> > > When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
> > > Cheers
> > > Pandora

> > I'd love to see a recipe for those gnocchi! - They sound delicious.
> >
> > Never heard of chestnut flour before, I must admit (I'm in the UK).
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> Many whole food shops carry chestnut flour, as do Italian delis in
> London.

Ahh, thanks - will look in the w/f places. No It. delis here many many many
miles from The London, unfortunately (but I'd not move to London for all the
delis in the damned world!).

Cheers,

Shaun aRe

Dee Randall

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
eenews.net...

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
>>

>> Shaun aRe wrote:

>> > went

> 1300 at

> with

> make

> this
>> > like
>> > >

>> Many whole food shops carry chestnut flour, as do Italian delis in
>> London.

> Ahh, thanks - will look in the w/f places. No It. delis here many many
> many
> miles from The London, unfortunately (but I'd not move to London for all
> the
> delis in the damned world!).
>
> Cheers,>
> Shaun aRe

I've only been to London once and that was 30+ years ago and then it was too
crowded; I wonder what it is today. I feel the same about NY, although it
is an exciting thought to think about all the delis there.
Dee Dee

MOMPEAGRAM

Turn off your HTML

"Carole Beard" > wrote in message
Recipe please. Thank you, and enjoy while you are there.

MOMPEAGRAM

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> I've only been to London once and that was 30+ years ago and then it was
> too crowded; I wonder what it is today. I feel the same about NY,
> although it is an exciting thought to think about all the delis there.
> Dee Dee

Much, much worse!

Vilco

Mi e' parso che Dee Randall abbia scritto:

> I found at Wegman's a wonderful cheese I hadn't had in
> years, Morbier. For those who don't know it
> http://www.interfrance.com/en/fc/ga_la-fromagerie.html &
> stroll down to 'Morbier.' It was heaven.

Too wonderful view!
Of those, I had only raclette and morbier de jura, but they all
look so good!
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Vilco

Mi e' parso che Pandora abbia scritto:

> Thank you Bob. Good recipe!

I quote.

> My recipe is similar. The only differences are these:
> 1) I lard the meat with pieces of bacon;
> 2) I brown the meat in butter and oil with a cloves of
> garlic and some rosemary (rosemary give a particular and
> good taste to this dish), then I wet with 1/2 glass of
> white wine. 3) I put a spoon of mustard in the milk.
> 4) I cook the pork in the oven for about 45 minutes;

Almost the same recipe as here, only one difference: we don't use
the mustard.
Cooking can happen in the oven or in the casserole, usually in
summer we go for the casserole.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Boron Elgar

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:43:14 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Potatoes? Like a regular gnocchi? I had looked around on the net and
>> most recipes had just the chestnut and regular or wheat flour. How
>> interesting!
>> Thank you so much.
>> Gloria

>I Am sure that if you put only flour, Gnocchi come out too hard and
>difficult to digest!!!!
>Cheers
>Pandora

Spaetzle recipes are only flour and yet can be tender, so no potatoes
seemed "normal."

These are the ingredients from a recipe that I had found online and
seemed quite appealing:

Source: The Great Italian Cookbook (1987). Compiled by the Italian
Academy of Cookery. New York: International Culinary Society. ISBN:
0-517-63553-4
http://www.chestnutleaf.com/gnocchi_di_castagne.htm

3 cups chestnut flour

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup whole shelled walnuts

1/3 cup pine nuts

1 cup oil

1 sprig parsley

2 cloves garlic

3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Make the gnocchi: Mix the chestnut flour and the all-purpose flour on
a board. Add sufficient water to produce a soft, smooth dough.
Divide the dough into pieces as large as an orange, then form
finger-thick rolls on the board. Cut these into segments about 3/4
inch long and press against the back of a fork or a grater to produce
the characteristic gnocchi shape. Keep separated so they do not stick
together.

Make the sauce: Blanch the walnuts in boiling water for 3-4 minutes to
help remove their skins and toast the pine nuts in the oven. Put all
the nuts in a mortar and pound well. Peel and finely chop the garlic
cloves. Fry with the parsley and 4 tbsp oil in a saucepan. Add the
nuts, stir and continue frying for a couple of minutes. Remove from
the heat and then add the remaining oil mixed with a little boiling
water (the water is necessary to obtain a smooth paste).

Boil the gnocchi in plenty of salted water for about 7-8 minutes.
Remove carefully with a slotted spoon, then transfer to individual
plates.

Cover each portion with some of the sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.

Pandora

"Vilco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Mi e' parso che Pandora abbia scritto:
>
>> Thank you Bob. Good recipe!

> I quote.
>
>> My recipe is similar. The only differences are these:
>> 1) I lard the meat with pieces of bacon;
>> 2) I brown the meat in butter and oil with a cloves of
>> garlic and some rosemary (rosemary give a particular and
>> good taste to this dish), then I wet with 1/2 glass of
>> white wine. 3) I put a spoon of mustard in the milk.
>> 4) I cook the pork in the oven for about 45 minutes;

> Almost the same recipe as here, only one difference: we don't use the
> mustard.
> Cooking can happen in the oven or in the casserole, usually in summer we
> go for the casserole.

At this point, perhaps is better the pressure cooking because you haven't to
add every time the liquid. But I have never tried before.
In the pressure pot I always cook the *Vitello Tonnato* (veil tonnč) and
comes out very good.
Ciao
Pandora

Pandora

"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:43:14 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> Potatoes? Like a regular gnocchi? I had looked around on the net and
>>> most recipes had just the chestnut and regular or wheat flour. How
>>> interesting!
>>> Thank you so much.
>>> Gloria

>>I Am sure that if you put only flour, Gnocchi come out too hard and
>>difficult to digest!!!!
>>Cheers
>>Pandora

> Spaetzle recipes are only flour and yet can be tender, so no potatoes
> seemed "normal."
>
> These are the ingredients from a recipe that I had found online and
> seemed quite appealing:
>
> Source: The Great Italian Cookbook (1987). Compiled by the Italian
> Academy of Cookery. New York: International Culinary Society. ISBN:
> 0-517-63553-4
> http://www.chestnutleaf.com/gnocchi_di_castagne.htm
>
> 3 cups chestnut flour
>
> 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
>
> 1/2 cup whole shelled walnuts
>
> 1/3 cup pine nuts
>
> 1 cup oil
>
> 1 sprig parsley
>
> 2 cloves garlic
>
> 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
>
> Make the gnocchi: Mix the chestnut flour and the all-purpose flour on
> a board. Add sufficient water to produce a soft, smooth dough.
> Divide the dough into pieces as large as an orange, then form
> finger-thick rolls on the board. Cut these into segments about 3/4
> inch long and press against the back of a fork or a grater to produce
> the characteristic gnocchi shape. Keep separated so they do not stick
> together.
>
> Make the sauce: Blanch the walnuts in boiling water for 3-4 minutes to
> help remove their skins and toast the pine nuts in the oven. Put all
> the nuts in a mortar and pound well. Peel and finely chop the garlic
> cloves. Fry with the parsley and 4 tbsp oil in a saucepan. Add the
> nuts, stir and continue frying for a couple of minutes. Remove from
> the heat and then add the remaining oil mixed with a little boiling
> water (the water is necessary to obtain a smooth paste).
>
> Boil the gnocchi in plenty of salted water for about 7-8 minutes.
> Remove carefully with a slotted spoon, then transfer to individual
> plates.
> Cover each portion with some of the sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.

I don't know how they can come out. The ideal should be boiled chestnut that
you use like potatoes togheter with chestnut flour! Gnocchi should come more
savoury. Unfortunately we have to wait october to see chestnuts.
BTW I have seen that some people make this kind of Gnocchi with dried
chestnuts, also.
We must try some recipes.
Thank you, I will try your recipe too.
Cheers
Pandora

TammyM

"Bob" > wrote in message
> [...]

> small nut-brown clusters. If it is still pale in color, uncover the pot,
> raise the heat to high, and cook briskly until it darkens.
>
> 3. Remove the meat to a cutting board and allow to cool off slightly for

> few minutes. Remove the trussing string, carve into slices 3/8 inch

thick,
> and arrange them on a warm platter. Draw off most of the fat from the pot
> with a spoon and discard, being careful not to discard any of the

coagulated
> milk clusters. Taste and correct for salt. (There may be as much as 1 to

1
> 1/2 cups of fat to be removed.) Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of warm water,

turn
> the heat to high, and boil away the water while scraping and loosening all
> the cooking residue in the pot. Spoon the sauce over the sliced pork and

About 25 years ago, I had a cooking class with Biba Caggiano (I and about 10
other students, including my auntie.) She made pork loin braised in milk,
it is one of the most delicious dishes I've ever tasted. I've made it a few
times, but never has it been as good as hers. Must try it again (when it
cools off -- IF it cools off!!!)

TammyM

TammyM

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> I'll give you recipe as soon as possible. I will make
> Gnocchi today or tomorrow.
> Cheers
> Pandora

I am eagerly awaiting your posting of this recipe! Do you think it would go
well with the pork loin braised in milk?

TammyM -- will buy chestnut flour this w/e

Shaun aRe

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...

> > Ahh, thanks - will look in the w/f places. No It. delis here many many
> > many
> > miles from The London, unfortunately (but I'd not move to London for all
> > the
> > delis in the damned world!).
> >
> > Cheers,>
> > Shaun aRe

> I've only been to London once and that was 30+ years ago and then it was

too
> crowded; I wonder what it is today. I feel the same about NY, although it
> is an exciting thought to think about all the delis there.
> Dee Dee

Hectic, busy, furious even - it makes my head spin. Even sitting looks like
a frantic affair for me, and I'm a fairly hyper, fidget, 'must move' kinda
guy. I don't like that you hardly if ever can see the horizon, either. I can
enjoy it for short periods of time (like a couple days) but it wears on me
very quickly. I'm not a 'country boy' but hells, I *LOVE* my surroundings to
be green, natural places as much as possible. I like to walk in woods,
through fields, by and in rivers. I'll settle for limited delis, for that
greenness and some good markets like we have here any day!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe - It's beautiful countryside where we live.

Shaun aRe

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
news:1122554139.d1a819b2f1199f5e8d1b54a770a7f651@t eranews...

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >
> > I've only been to London once and that was 30+ years ago and then it was
> > too crowded; I wonder what it is today. I feel the same about NY,
> > although it is an exciting thought to think about all the delis there.
> > Dee Dee

> Much, much worse!

In some ways, but, I'm betting it's mostly a darn lot cleaner than it was
even 30 y/ago.

Shaun aRe

Chestnut pudding, Anne General Cooking 0 20-06-2007 04:41 PM
[Chestnut dumplings] Reality show! First photos Pandora General Cooking 55 03-08-2005 04:03 PM
Chestnut Flour seacrest General Cooking 5 16-01-2005 01:21 AM
Chestnut ideas elaine General Cooking 10 10-01-2005 01:12 AM