Old 27-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Pandora

Default Chestnut dumplings

Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I went
to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
sea level.
Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
butter and sage.
And then some local cheese and salami.
I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
them because they were very very good.
I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
dish.
Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them like
I do:
http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg

When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
Cheers
Pandora

Old 27-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Shaun aRe

"Pandora" wrote in message
[...]

I'd love to see a recipe for those gnocchi! - They sound delicious.

Never heard of chestnut flour before, I must admit (I'm in the UK).

Cheers,

Shaun aRe

Old 27-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Jean B.

Pandora wrote:

[...]

I think I have seen it, but I have no idea where. Actually,
it might have been at Whole Foods. I would love to have the
recipe.

--
Jean B.
Old 27-07-2005, 04:31 PM
TammyM

"Pandora" wrote in message
[...]

Great photos, Pandora. I've seen chestnut flour at the local natural foods
co-op and also a health food store. I would LOVE to see both your recipe
and a picture of those delicious sounding gnochhi!

Tammy
Sacramento, California (where it's "only" going to get up to 102F (38C)
today....)

Old 27-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Pandora

"Jean B." ha scritto nel messaggio
Pandora wrote:

[...]

I will make this week. Then I will tell you.
Cheers
Pandora.

--
Jean B.

Old 27-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Pandora

"TammyM" ha scritto nel messaggio

"Pandora" wrote in message
[...]

We have a supermarket called Coop, too ))
"Gnocchi di castagne" aren't made only with chestnut flour, but also with
potatoes. Pratically you mix the purea of boiled potatoes with flour just
like they was potatoes dumplings. I'll be more precise when I will do them.
Tahnk you and

Old 27-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Boron Elgar

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:52:35 +0200, "Pandora"
wrote:

[...]

I would love a recipe. I have some wonderful sage in the garden that
would be perfect.

A cheese suggestion, too, please....Does this need to be a grated
cheese such as a Parmigiano or Pecorino? I wonder how a gorgonzola
would taste crumbled over the gnocchi?

Chestnut flour can easily be ordered online here in the US.

Boron
Old 27-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Bob

Pandora wrote:

Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
butter and sage.
And then some local cheese and salami.
I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
them because they were very very good.
I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
dish.

Yes, I use chestnut flour in the wintertime to make chestnut polenta, which
I serve with pork braised in milk. It's a wonderful combination.

Bob

Old 27-07-2005, 06:01 PM
MOMPEAGRAM

"Pandora" wrote in message
[...]

How beautiful! Sounds like you enjoyed your trip. Look forward to your
dumplings.

MoM

Old 27-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Pandora

wrote:

[...]

Gorgonzola, IMHO, has a very hard taste, so it would cover delicacy of this
kind of Gnocchi. that's why they put over only butter and sage.
On the other hand, butter and sage, aren't so flavourful. Perhaps it would
go better a creamy sauce with walnuts, "Fontina" (a piedmontese cheese), few
milk to melt cheese and if you want few minced sausage. Yes, I think i will
do like this.
To make chestnut dumplings is very simple: boil 5-6 medium potatoes and when
they are soft, peel and squash them over the pastry board. Make an hole
inside. Then put in the hole two whole eggs and mix with potatoes. At this
point you can start to add chestnut flour. You must add flour till the
mixture is rather hard.
Then you take a piece of mixture (as big as a tennis ball) and roll it over
the floured pastry board (back and forth) with the hand's palms. It should
comes out a long snake of pastry ( about one centimeter of diameter) that
you will cut with a knife in little rectangle of about 2 centimeters lenght.
Put your Gnocchi on a big and floured tray (if you want you can froze them
with the tray, and when they are hard you can put in a freezer container).
When the salted water boil (put in the water also 1-2 spoons of oil), plunge
gnocchi and mix a little (with a long spoon) only the first time. Gnocchi
are ready when they come on the surface.
This is what I will do next saturday. Then I will tell you, but if you want
to try before., you can follow this recipe.

Chestnut flour can easily be ordered online here in the US.

Is a fortune ))

Cheers
Pandora

Old 27-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Pandora

"Bob" ha scritto nel messaggio
Pandora wrote:

Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned
with
butter and sage.
And then some local cheese and salami.
I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
them because they were very very good.
I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
dish.

Yes, I use chestnut flour in the wintertime to make chestnut polenta,
which
I serve with pork braised in milk. It's a wonderful combination.

This is a very good idea! I've never made it. I must try. Coul you give me
the recipe also for pork braised in milk? I make a pork roast with milk; I
want to confront my recipe with yours.
Thank you.
Pandora

Old 27-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Pandora

"MOMPEAGRAM" ha scritto nel messaggio
news:1122483602.b56797b9935[email protected] eranews...

"Pandora" wrote in message
[...]

Yes! Thank you.
Cheers
Pandora

Old 27-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Dee Randall

wrote:

[...]

I've been looking all over for this for perhaps 6 months (or more) and can
only find Wisconsin, Swedish and Danish Fontina. Nosiree, no Italian
Fontina.
Dee Dee

Old 27-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Pandora

wrote:

[...]

Ohhhhh! It's a very pity!!! And have you got french cheese? *Raclette* is a
very good cheese and very similar to fontina!
Pandora (

Old 27-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Dee Randall

wrote:

[...]

I believe I saw Raclette other day at Trader Joe's. I'll look for it.
I found at Wegman's a wonderful cheese I hadn't had in years, Morbier. For
those who don't know it
http://www.interfrance.com/en/fc/ga_la-fromagerie.html & stroll down to
'Morbier.' It was heaven.

Thanks for sending pictures of Switzerland -- I've only been there a few
times,. There is a place settled in West Virginia by the Swiss, called
Helvetia. People flock there in the summer for some sort of festival. It
is very remote and mountainous -- but, of course, not like Switzerland's
mountains.
Dee Dee

Chestnut pudding, Anne General Cooking 0 20-06-2007 04:41 PM
[Chestnut dumplings] Reality show! First photos Pandora General Cooking 55 03-08-2005 04:03 PM
Chestnut Flour seacrest General Cooking 5 16-01-2005 12:21 AM
Chestnut ideas elaine General Cooking 10 10-01-2005 12:12 AM