The Reids

Default Bacalao fresca

When in Spain we see "bacalao" generally used to describe salt
cod. Probably correctly "bacalao seco". Is there a word in
spanish to describe fresh cod, something that I'm not even sure I
can recall seeing on sale? Dont think i've seen haddock either,
although it has a spanish name.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
aem

The Reids wrote:
> When in Spain we see "bacalao" generally used to describe salt
> cod. Probably correctly "bacalao seco". Is there a word in
> spanish to describe fresh cod, something that I'm not even sure I
> can recall seeing on sale? Dont think i've seen haddock either,
> although it has a spanish name.
> --
> Mike Reid

The only Spanish word I find for "cod" is "bacalao," so perhaps they
use the same for both fresh and salt cod. Cod was supremely important
to the Basques and the Spanish hundreds of years ago, so much so that
the English navy destroyed the Spanish fishing fleet in the late
1500's. Mark Kurlansky's book, _Cod_, is a great read and fascinating
history. The final section is "Six Centuries of Cod Recipes," most of
which are for salt cod, but not all. -aem

Neil

>When in Spain we see "bacalao" generally used to describe salt
>cod. Probably correctly "bacalao seco". Is there a word in
>spanish to describe fresh cod, something that I'm not even sure I
>can recall seeing on sale?

I understand the word for fresh cod in Spain is still "bacalao", but
your observation is correct: it's not used in Spain traditionally and
I'm not aware anyone has started importing it. My understanding is
that traditionally, Spain's supply comes from a processing facility
somewhere in the Baltic Sea.

Neil

Damsel in dis Dress

"Neil" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>>When in Spain we see "bacalao" generally used to describe salt
>>cod. Probably correctly "bacalao seco". Is there a word in
>>spanish to describe fresh cod, something that I'm not even sure I
>>can recall seeing on sale?

>I understand the word for fresh cod in Spain is still "bacalao", but
>your observation is correct: it's not used in Spain traditionally and
>I'm not aware anyone has started importing it. My understanding is
>that traditionally, Spain's supply comes from a processing facility
>somewhere in the Baltic Sea.

Silvia lives in Spain and should be able to answer these questions.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Neil

>You won't see much of it in the near future. The greedy fishing
industry
>has reduced the population of cod in American fishing waters by over

90% in
>the last 20 years.

That doesn''t explain why the price is still low; and the comment is a
nonsequitur with respect to the original question, which concerned the
availability of salt vs. fresh cod.

Neil

Victor Sack

The Reids > wrote:

> When in Spain we see "bacalao" generally used to describe salt
> cod. Probably correctly "bacalao seco". Is there a word in
> spanish to describe fresh cod, something that I'm not even sure I
> can recall seeing on sale? Dont think i've seen haddock either,
> although it has a spanish name.

"Bacalao" is generic cod. If fresh cod has to be specified, it is
"bacalao fresco" (masculine), AFAIK.

Victor
Judith Umbria

"The Reids" > wrote in message
> When in Spain we see "bacalao" generally used to describe salt
> cod.
> Mike Reid

In Italian cod is merluzzo. Is there a Spanish word similar? Bacalao is
baccala', so it would seem the fish might be as similar in name.

The Reids

Following up to Judith Umbria

>In Italian cod is merluzzo. Is there a Spanish word similar? Bacalao is
>baccala', so it would seem the fish might be as similar in name.

Yes, but "merluza" in Spain is hake (Merluccius
merluccius), a relative of the cod and found everywhere, fresh,
probably Spains favourite fish?
That's "whiting" in US I understand, which in UK is "silver hake"
(uncommon?) while "whiting" in UK is Merlangius merlangus,
another close relative which is "merlan" in Spain and "merlano"
in Italy.
There is also "bacaladilla" in Spain, the blue whiting, although
i've not seen it there. I wont start on the white blueting.....

Its rather interesting that fresh cod and haddock abound in UK,
while in Spain hake takes that role, (all thee and all the above
being related members of the "gadidae" cod family) and in spain
salt cod is common while rare in UK (where I think it would be
called stockfish?).
That wasn't bad for off the top of my head, was it? <strolls off
whistling>
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
graham

"The Reids" > wrote in message
> Following up to Judith Umbria
>
>>In Italian cod is merluzzo. Is there a Spanish word similar? Bacalao is
>>baccala', so it would seem the fish might be as similar in name.

> Yes, but "merluza" in Spain is hake (Merluccius
> merluccius), a relative of the cod and found everywhere, fresh,
> probably Spains favourite fish?
> That's "whiting" in US I understand, which in UK is "silver hake"
> (uncommon?) while "whiting" in UK is Merlangius merlangus,
> another close relative which is "merlan" in Spain and "merlano"
> in Italy.
> There is also "bacaladilla" in Spain, the blue whiting, although
> i've not seen it there. I wont start on the white blueting.....
>
> Its rather interesting that fresh cod and haddock abound in UK,
> while in Spain hake takes that role, (all thee and all the above
> being related members of the "gadidae" cod family) and in spain
> salt cod is common while rare in UK (where I think it would be
> called stockfish?).
> That wasn't bad for off the top of my head, was it? <strolls off
> whistling>
> --

I think I'll stick to fish fingers:-)
Graham

The Reids

Following up to graham

>> That wasn't bad for off the top of my head, was it? <strolls off
>> whistling>
>> --

>I think I'll stick to fish fingers:-)

defeatist!
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

graham

"The Reids" > wrote in message
> Following up to graham
>
>>> That wasn't bad for off the top of my head, was it? <strolls off
>>> whistling>
>>> --

>>I think I'll stick to fish fingers:-)

> defeatist!
> --

Hey! It's too early on a Monday morning to take that in<g>
Graham

aem

The Reids wrote:
> [snips]
> Its rather interesting that fresh cod and haddock abound in UK,
> while in Spain hake takes that role, (all thee and all the above
> being related members of the "gadidae" cod family) and in spain
> salt cod is common while rare in UK (where I think it would be
> called stockfish?). [snip]

Kurlansky's "Cod" affirms that hake is the fresh fish substitute of
choice for cod in Spain, Basque country and Portugal. He says
stockfish is dried, but not salted, cod. Here's a modern recipe for
stockfish, via Nigeria, from the book:

Wash the stockfish in hot water and soak it five minutes. Then
boil it for several hours until it is soft. Then add goat meat. When
the goat meat is cooked add eguzi [seeds of the green squash known in
Nigeria as melon]. Add onions and minced ukazi [an herbal leaf]. Add
crayfish. Then stir in ugvo [a thickener made from ground seeds, which
have been cooked for hours until soft]. -attributed to Joy Okori, an
Ibo now living in the U.S.

I don't think this is a candidate for '30-minute Meals.' -aem

graham

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The Reids wrote:
>> [snips]
>> Its rather interesting that fresh cod and haddock abound in UK,
>> while in Spain hake takes that role, (all thee and all the above
>> being related members of the "gadidae" cod family) and in spain
>> salt cod is common while rare in UK (where I think it would be
>> called stockfish?). [snip]

> Kurlansky's "Cod" affirms that hake is the fresh fish substitute of
> choice for cod in Spain, Basque country and Portugal. He says
> stockfish is dried, but not salted, cod. Here's a modern recipe for
> stockfish, via Nigeria, from the book:
>
> Wash the stockfish in hot water and soak it five minutes. Then
> boil it for several hours until it is soft. Then add goat meat. When
> the goat meat is cooked add eguzi [seeds of the green squash known in
> Nigeria as melon]. Add onions and minced ukazi [an herbal leaf]. Add
> crayfish. Then stir in ugvo [a thickener made from ground seeds, which
> have been cooked for hours until soft]. -attributed to Joy Okori, an
> Ibo now living in the U.S.
>
> I don't think this is a candidate for '30-minute Meals.' -aem

It reminds me of the times I used to help my uncle boil up fish heads etc,
potatoes and other odds 'n' ends to mix in with the pig swill.
Graham

Judith Umbria

"The Reids" > wrote in message
> Following up to Judith Umbria
>
> >In Italian cod is merluzzo. Is there a Spanish word similar? in spain

> salt cod is common while rare in UK (where I think it would be called

stockfish?).
> That wasn't bad for off the top of my head, was it? <strolls off
> whistling>
> --
> Mike Reid

Not bad, but not time to whistle yet. Baccala' and Stoccafissa are two
different versions. Baccala' is salted and comes in wooden boxes and is
soaked from that state. Stoccafissa is dried and works great as a
cricketbat I hear, until it is soaked.
In posh fish shops, one can buy either already soaked and cleaned and ready
to cook.

Judith Umbria

"The Reids" > wrote in message
> defeatist!
> --
> Mike Reid

BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
chuffed!

sarah

Judith Umbria > wrote:

> "The Reids" > wrote in message
> > defeatist!

> BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
> chuffed!

Congratulations! Where? How?

all the best
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Ophelia

"Judith Umbria" > wrote in message

> "The Reids" > wrote in message
>> defeatist!
>> --
>> Mike Reid

> BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
> chuffed!

Wow... tell us more

Judith Umbria

"sarah" > wrote in message
k...
> Judith Umbria > wrote:
> > BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
> > chuffed!

> Congratulations! Where? How?
>
> all the best
> sarah

I went to chef's school here 2 years ago, and made an arrangement with a
villa owner to act as personal chef to renters.
I don't want cooking to become a burden, but I need money with the dollar
down so far. For one meal, I earn less than I used to for one hour in my
profession!
I hope this doesn't end up unprofitable. If it does I shall become
permanently too busy.
For dinner for 4, with an antipasto, primo, secondo with contorno and dolce,
I am getting 130 euros and provide the food from that. Dead cheap, I think.
Still, it's about what they would pay for a meal without wine at the
Michelin one star restaurant, so what's to do?

June Hughes

In message >, Judith Umbria
> writes
>
>"The Reids" > wrote in message
.. .
>> defeatist!
>> --
>> Mike Reid

>BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
>chuffed!

Good luck, Judith. I am sure you won't need it but good luck anyway.
--
June Hughes
Damsel in dis Dress

"Judith Umbria" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
>chuffed!

Congratulations, Judith! (I suppose it's not cool to tell a chef to "Knock
'em dead," huh?)

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Puester

Judith Umbria wrote:

> I went to chef's school here 2 years ago, and made an arrangement with a
> villa owner to act as personal chef to renters.
> I don't want cooking to become a burden, but I need money with the dollar
> down so far. For one meal, I earn less than I used to for one hour in my
> profession!
> I hope this doesn't end up unprofitable. If it does I shall become
> permanently too busy.
> For dinner for 4, with an antipasto, primo, secondo with contorno and dolce,
> I am getting 130 euros and provide the food from that. Dead cheap, I think.
> Still, it's about what they would pay for a meal without wine at the
> Michelin one star restaurant, so what's to do?

Don't sell your services too cheaply.
Congratulations and good luck.

gloria p
Bob (this one)

Judith Umbria wrote:

>>>BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
>>>chuffed!

> I went to chef's school here 2 years ago, and made an arrangement with a
> villa owner to act as personal chef to renters.
> I don't want cooking to become a burden, but I need money with the dollar
> down so far. For one meal, I earn less than I used to for one hour in my
> profession!
> I hope this doesn't end up unprofitable. If it does I shall become
> permanently too busy.
> For dinner for 4, with an antipasto, primo, secondo with contorno and dolce,
> I am getting 130 euros and provide the food from that. Dead cheap, I think.
> Still, it's about what they would pay for a meal without wine at the
> Michelin one star restaurant, so what's to do?

The difference between their going to a restaurant and your cooking for
them is service. They have only to sit and eat. If they want the
convenience, they should be willing to pay for it.

I do such events and I charge a considerably more substantial rate than
that. I've also been doing it for a couple decades, so I can demand and
get better prices, but I think you're still working too hard for too
little money.

My customers have several choices:
1) they provide the food for a menu we've agreed on they and pay me an
hourly rate which I have estimated and given them a range for. I do this
because people often want to talk about the food and details afterward,
and it's my time they're taking. They pay for that.
2) I bring the food for which they reimburse me and I charge a price for
the whole event based on estimated time from start to finish. Again,
with an estimate of how much non-productive time I expect.
3) I design the menu, shop for the food, prepare and serve it, and clean
up afterward. I won't even consider doing this for less than $200USD for
myself at the end of the event. And that assuming it's for a single
evening for no more than 4 people.

Four people should expect to spend between $75 and $100 per person at a
minimum, depending on several factors. I've billed people as much as
$300 per person for extraordinary meals with exotic ingredients.
Admittedly, they're rare, but they do come up.

sarah

Judith Umbria > wrote:

> "sarah" > wrote in message
> k...
> > Judith Umbria > wrote:
> > > BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
> > > chuffed!

> > Congratulations! Where? How?

> I went to chef's school here 2 years ago, and made an arrangement with a
> villa owner to act as personal chef to renters.
> I don't want cooking to become a burden, but I need money with the dollar
> down so far. For one meal, I earn less than I used to for one hour in my
> profession!
> I hope this doesn't end up unprofitable. If it does I shall become
> permanently too busy.
> For dinner for 4, with an antipasto, primo, secondo with contorno and dolce,
> I am getting 130 euros and provide the food from that. Dead cheap, I think.
> Still, it's about what they would pay for a meal without wine at the
> Michelin one star restaurant, so what's to do?

That does seem good value (unless they have to wash the dishes? :-)
It must be difficult to be so reliant on the exchange rate.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Neil

>"merluza" in Spain is hake (Merluccius
>merluccius), a relative of the cod and found everywhere, fresh,
>probably Spains favourite fish?
>That's "whiting" in US I understand, which in UK is "silver hake"

Well, the thing they call "whiting" here (eastern U.S.) doesn't much
resemble merluza. Hake is hard to find here, although recently Whole
Foods has started offering it, although only filets, not the steaks you
find more typically for merluza in Spain.

Neil

The Reids

Following up to Judith Umbria

>BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
>chuffed!

Blimey, do you do it italian style or do you add outsude
influences?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

Judith Umbria

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message

am getting 130 euros and provide the food from that. Dead cheap, I think.
> My customers have several choices:
> 1) they provide the food for a menu we've agreed on they and pay me an
> hourly rate which I have estimated and given them a range for. I do this
> because people often want to talk about the food and details afterward,
> and it's my time they're taking. They pay for that.
> 2) I bring the food for which they reimburse me and I charge a price for
> the whole event based on estimated time from start to finish. Again,
> with an estimate of how much non-productive time I expect.
> 3) I design the menu, shop for the food, prepare and serve it, and clean
> up afterward. I won't even consider doing this for less than $200USD for
> myself at the end of the event. And that assuming it's for a single
> evening for no more than 4 people.
>
> Four people should expect to spend between $75 and $100 per person at a
> minimum, depending on several factors. I've billed people as much as
> $300 per person for extraordinary meals with exotic ingredients.
> Admittedly, they're rare, but they do come up.

And I do hope they come up for me eventually. In the meantime, I had to do
something in line with what the previous chef had done, although I raised
prices. I was asked to do sample menus to choose from. They are priced as
"simple" and extended and are priced differently. They also are based on
cheaper foods, rigorously in season.
The 130 euros comes to $152 these days which explians why I need money.
(that includes the fees for changing money as well as the difference in
value)

Judith Umbria

"sarah" > wrote in message
> Judith Umbria > wrote:
>
> > "sarah" > wrote in message

> That does seem good value (unless they have to wash the dishes? :-)
> It must be difficult to be so reliant on the exchange rate.
>
> regards
> sarah

For the money I cook, period. No serving and no clean-up other than my
cooking area and my tools. They have to set the table and load the
dishwasher.
When asked what about if someone wants to be regally served at the table, I
said, "We'll have to find someone who wants to do that, won't we?"

Judith Umbria

"The Reids" > wrote in message
> Following up to Judith Umbria
>
> >BTW, this Friday evening is my first job as a professional chef. I am
> >chuffed!

> Blimey, do you do it italian style or do you add outsude
> influences?
> --
> Mike Reid

All Italian but the desserts, which are my recipes and fairly international.
This week it will be pastry triangles with strawberries and my new white
chocolate rum sauce.

The Reids

Following up to Bob (this one)

>The difference between their going to a restaurant and your cooking for
>them is service. They have only to sit and eat. If they want the
>convenience, they should be willing to pay for it.

the other side is they provide the "restaurant".
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
The Reids

Following up to Judith Umbria

> Dead cheap, I think.
>Still, it's about what they would pay for a meal without wine at the
>Michelin one star restaurant, so what's to do?

have you seen what others charge for the same thing in Italy?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

The Reids

Following up to aem

> Wash the stockfish in hot water and soak it five minutes. Then
>boil it for several hours until it is soft. Then add goat meat. When
>the goat meat is cooked add eguzi [seeds of the green squash known in
>Nigeria as melon]. Add onions and minced ukazi [an herbal leaf]. Add
>crayfish. Then stir in ugvo [a thickener made from ground seeds, which
>have been cooked for hours until soft]. -attributed to Joy Okori, an
>Ibo now living in the U.S.

that's some recipe.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
The Reids

Following up to Judith Umbria

>Stoccafissa is dried and works great as a
>cricketbat I hear, until it is soaked.

Sounds the same as the stuff in Iceland, name forgotten, that you
fillet with a chainsaw.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
The Reids

Following up to Neil

>>That's "whiting" in US I understand, which in UK is "silver hake"

>Well, the thing they call "whiting" here (eastern U.S.) doesn't much
>resemble merluza.

fish names are a minefield, east and west USA might be using
different fish for same name?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Bob (this one)

The Reids wrote:

> Following up to Bob (this one)
>
>>The difference between their going to a restaurant and your cooking for
>>them is service. They have only to sit and eat. If they want the
>>convenience, they should be willing to pay for it.

> the other side is they provide the "restaurant".

Sort of. The building is already there for other purposes. But it's not
about hardware. If it were, they'd stop and pick up something on the way
home.

But what do you think is worth more, the tablecloth or the cook's skill?

Pastorio
sarah

Judith Umbria > wrote:

> "sarah" > wrote in message
> > Judith Umbria > wrote:
> >
> > > "sarah" > wrote in message

> > That does seem good value (unless they have to wash the dishes? :-)
> > It must be difficult to be so reliant on the exchange rate.

> For the money I cook, period. No serving and no clean-up other than my
> cooking area and my tools. They have to set the table and load the
> dishwasher.
> When asked what about if someone wants to be regally served at the table, I
> said, "We'll have to find someone who wants to do that, won't we?"

Nicely said, the sort of riposte that one later recalls with
satisfaction.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

The Reids

Following up to Bob (this one)

>But what do you think is worth more, the tablecloth or the cook's skill?

From a restaurant pricing point of view, wages and rent are both
big items, from the home visit meal I assume they want to buy
into skill?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Judith Umbria

"The Reids" > wrote in message
> Following up to Bob (this one)
>
> >But what do you think is worth more, the tablecloth or the cook's skill?

> From a restaurant pricing point of view, wages and rent are both
> big items, from the home visit meal I assume they want to buy
> into skill?
> --
> Mike Reid

As you know, Italian food is regional. Local restaurants serve almost
exclusively local food, and even then, those that work best for a
restaurant. That excludes many many dishes.
Having a personal chef in allows you to eat what is not in restaurants.
People sometimes get a very skewed idea about a regional cuisine when they
eat only in restaurants.

Bob (this one)

The Reids wrote:

> Following up to Bob (this one)
>
>>But what do you think is worth more, the tablecloth or the cook's skill?

> From a restaurant pricing point of view, wages and rent are both
> big items, from the home visit meal I assume they want to buy
> into skill?

Actually rent (or mortgage) falls under "cost of occupancy" and they're
typically not among the biggest items unless it's a glitzy, urban,
fashionable place.

The major costs are what are called "prime cost" in foodservice. They're
"Cost of Materials" (sometimes called "cost of goods sold")and "Cost of
labor" (or "staffing"). Between them, they can account for as much as
65% of a successful restaurant's operating costs. Everything else is
rendered in single-digit percentages. Fast food skews this somewhat, but
the principles maintain.

When I do "remote catering" or feeding at sites other than mine,
customers are paying for what I know, what I do, the equipment I bring
to bear, and the fact that it's to suit their sense of convenience.

They're paying to be treated like aristocracy. I'm more than happy to
serve that sense, but it ain't comin' cheap. The time spent cooking is
only a small part of the process. Consulting with them, gathering
ingredients and materials, mise en place, prep and cooking, teardown and
return all contribute to the cost. Materials are often less than 15% of
the cost. Labor often 60% or more all by itself.

Pastorio
Judith Umbria

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> The Reids wrote:
>
> > Following up to Bob (this one)
> >
> >>But what do you think is worth more, the tablecloth or the cook's skill?

> Actually rent (or mortgage) falls under "cost of occupancy" and they're
> typically not among the biggest items unless it's a glitzy, urban,
> fashionable place.
> They're paying to be treated like aristocracy. I'm more than happy to
> serve that sense, but it ain't comin' cheap. The time spent cooking is
> only a small part of the process. Consulting with them, gathering
> ingredients and materials, mise en place, prep and cooking, teardown and
> return all contribute to the cost. Materials are often less than 15% of
> the cost. Labor often 60% or more all by itself.
>
> Pastorio

I am really glad to hear all this from you, this Bob. OTH, I plan to only
cook, as I don't think I can cook really well and wait on table as well. It
sure is a problem at home parties, anyway. I'm pretty sure I could find
someone at extra cost if they really wanted it. These customers will be
folks renting country villas in Umbria, no black tie involved.

seres

The Reids wrote:
> When in Spain we see "bacalao" generally used to describe salt
> cod. Probably correctly "bacalao seco". Is there a word in
> spanish to describe fresh cod,

In Ecuador we call cod: CORVINA ,wich is an exquisite fish to eat...!