Goomba38

Default The old rfc gang?

"Leila A." wrote:

> Ob Food: Hershey's Cocoa in warm milk. The cocoa works great in Fanny
> Farmer's Chocolate Buttermilk cake, too.

Oooh.. and here I was looking for buttermilk recipes last week. Got one to share for this cake?? )
Goomba

Goomba38

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> I just realized that I've forgotten to mention the one-time
> RFC poster that I miss most: Shankar Bhattacharyya who
> explained to us the chemistry of cooking and the subtleties of
> regional Indian cooking styles...and in discussing Indian
> food he often got into complex discussions with Bharati and
> Geeta--Imiss them, too.

Yes! I always enjoyed his "Will do chemisty for Food" tag line. He was
always handy for the explanation, wasn't he?

Goomba38

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> I just realized that I've forgotten to mention the one-time
> RFC poster that I miss most: Shankar Bhattacharyya who
> explained to us the chemistry of cooking and the subtleties of
> regional Indian cooking styles...and in discussing Indian
> food he often got into complex discussions with Bharati and
> Geeta--Imiss them, too.

Yes! I always enjoyed his "Will do chemisty for Food" tag line. He was
always handy for the explanation, wasn't he?

Christine Dabney

On 27 Mar 2004 05:52:50 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >
wrote:

>Goomba38 > wrote:
>: Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of the cats;
>: Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the line?) Kay and her
>: wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners she'd share with her uncle;
>: Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
>: stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
>: line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
>: "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
>: wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
>: then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>
> No one has yet recalled either Mimi of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen or
> Stephanie DaSilva
> --thelma
>: Goomba

How about the two Dans?
I remember Ninette Enrique...
And who was the person that posted from somewhere in Scandanavia? A
woman....I can't remember her name. I think Barb knows who I mean..

Christine
Christine Dabney

wrote:

>Goomba38 > wrote:
>: Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of the cats;
>: Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the line?) Kay and her
>: wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners she'd share with her uncle;
>: Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
>: stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
>: line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
>: "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
>: wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
>: then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>
> No one has yet recalled either Mimi of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen or
> Stephanie DaSilva
> --thelma
>: Goomba

How about the two Dans?
I remember Ninette Enrique...
And who was the person that posted from somewhere in Scandanavia? A
woman....I can't remember her name. I think Barb knows who I mean..

Christine
MOM PEAGRAM

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Sheryl Rosen > wrote:
>
> > Steve Kramer, of course.

> Wow..whatever happened to Steve? Anyone know? Is he still in Japan?
>
> The earliest Usenet posting I can find of mine via Google is 1991, but
> it wasn't to RFC.
>
> Anne

I did another search and found 27 Nov 1998 by Helen Peagram
rec.food.cooking

So, I've been around for at least 6 years. Maybe more.

MOM PEAGRAM

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Sheryl Rosen > wrote:
>
> > Steve Kramer, of course.

> Wow..whatever happened to Steve? Anyone know? Is he still in Japan?
>
> The earliest Usenet posting I can find of mine via Google is 1991, but
> it wasn't to RFC.
>
> Anne

I did another search and found 27 Nov 1998 by Helen Peagram
rec.food.cooking

So, I've been around for at least 6 years. Maybe more.

hahabogus

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On 27 Mar 2004 05:52:50 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >
> wrote:
>
>>Goomba38 > wrote:
>>: Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of
>>: the cats; Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the
>>: line?) Kay and her wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners
>>: she'd share with her uncle; Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl
>>: Rosen and her wicked stepmother stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her
>>: memorial to her brother in her siggy line; The Taboulli Princess in
>>: prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was
>>: around touting the joys of ketchup even then, wasn't he?..... those
>>: are some off the top of my head I recall from back then. I used to
>>: post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>>
>> No one has yet recalled either Mimi of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen or
>> Stephanie DaSilva
>> --thelma
>>: Goomba

> How about the two Dans?
> I remember Ninette Enrique...
> And who was the person that posted from somewhere in Scandanavia? A
> woman....I can't remember her name. I think Barb knows who I mean..
>
> Christine

Alan Zelt's wife perhaps?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

hahabogus

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On 27 Mar 2004 05:52:50 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >
> wrote:
>
>>Goomba38 > wrote:
>>: Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of
>>: the cats; Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the
>>: line?) Kay and her wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners
>>: she'd share with her uncle; Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl
>>: Rosen and her wicked stepmother stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her
>>: memorial to her brother in her siggy line; The Taboulli Princess in
>>: prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was
>>: around touting the joys of ketchup even then, wasn't he?..... those
>>: are some off the top of my head I recall from back then. I used to
>>: post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>>
>> No one has yet recalled either Mimi of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen or
>> Stephanie DaSilva
>> --thelma
>>: Goomba

> How about the two Dans?
> I remember Ninette Enrique...
> And who was the person that posted from somewhere in Scandanavia? A
> woman....I can't remember her name. I think Barb knows who I mean..
>
> Christine

Alan Zelt's wife perhaps?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
hahabogus

"MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
:

> "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Sheryl Rosen > wrote:
>>
>> > Steve Kramer, of course.

>> Wow..whatever happened to Steve? Anyone know? Is he still in Japan?
>>
>> The earliest Usenet posting I can find of mine via Google is 1991, but
>> it wasn't to RFC.
>>
>> Anne

> I did another search and found 27 Nov 1998 by Helen Peagram
> rec.food.cooking
>
> So, I've been around for at least 6 years. Maybe more.

Longer than that for you Helen....I started posting seriously in 98 and
you'd been here a while before that.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
hahabogus

"MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in
:

> "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Sheryl Rosen > wrote:
>>
>> > Steve Kramer, of course.

>> Wow..whatever happened to Steve? Anyone know? Is he still in Japan?
>>
>> The earliest Usenet posting I can find of mine via Google is 1991, but
>> it wasn't to RFC.
>>
>> Anne

> I did another search and found 27 Nov 1998 by Helen Peagram
> rec.food.cooking
>
> So, I've been around for at least 6 years. Maybe more.

Longer than that for you Helen....I started posting seriously in 98 and
you'd been here a while before that.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Puester

"Leila A." wrote:

> Yeah, I only joined in 1997 so I sure ain't original. Then again, I
> think I am something of an original. How many 6 foot tall half-Arab
> Tabbouli Princesses married to half-Jewish Scotsmen do YOU know?

Whenever I see your name, I remember the great story you told
about your dad picking and curing olives from landscape trees.
Every time I'm in San Diego and see olives scattered all over
the ground I wish he were there to glean with me. (No, I've
never done it, but it seems like such a good idea!)

gloria p
Puester

"Leila A." wrote:

> Yeah, I only joined in 1997 so I sure ain't original. Then again, I
> think I am something of an original. How many 6 foot tall half-Arab
> Tabbouli Princesses married to half-Jewish Scotsmen do YOU know?

Whenever I see your name, I remember the great story you told
about your dad picking and curing olives from landscape trees.
Every time I'm in San Diego and see olives scattered all over
the ground I wish he were there to glean with me. (No, I've
never done it, but it seems like such a good idea!)

gloria p
modom

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:48:24 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Dog3 wrote:
>

>> I was reading back then but posting very little. I think moosemeat was
>> around back then too.
>>
>> Michael

>Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of the cats;
>Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the line?) Kay and her
>wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners she'd share with her uncle;
>Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
>stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
>line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
>"Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
>wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
>then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>Goomba

We discussed this a while back(Dec. '01). Here's Victor's list from
that thread:

Ray Bruman, Dan Masi, Meg Worley, Amy
Gale, Mary Elizabeth, LKS, Joel Ehrlich, LizR, Andy Pforzheimer, June
Oshiro, Sophie Laplante, Gernot Katzer, Monika Adamczyk, Mimi Hiller,
Mimi Tseng, Tanith Tyrr, Doreen Randal, RCC, Helle Paulsen, Rich
Tester, Squeaks, Hahna Kang, Pam Jacoby, Bharati Mandapati, Lin Nah,
Anne Bourget, Sam Waring, Lyndon Watson.

modom
modom

wrote:

>Dog3 wrote:
>

>> I was reading back then but posting very little. I think moosemeat was
>> around back then too.
>>
>> Michael

>Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of the cats;
>Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the line?) Kay and her
>wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners she'd share with her uncle;
>Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
>stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
>line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
>"Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
>wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
>then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>Goomba

We discussed this a while back(Dec. '01). Here's Victor's list from
that thread:

Ray Bruman, Dan Masi, Meg Worley, Amy
Gale, Mary Elizabeth, LKS, Joel Ehrlich, LizR, Andy Pforzheimer, June
Oshiro, Sophie Laplante, Gernot Katzer, Monika Adamczyk, Mimi Hiller,
Mimi Tseng, Tanith Tyrr, Doreen Randal, RCC, Helle Paulsen, Rich
Tester, Squeaks, Hahna Kang, Pam Jacoby, Bharati Mandapati, Lin Nah,
Anne Bourget, Sam Waring, Lyndon Watson.

modom
Puester

Goomba38 wrote:

> Thelma Lubkin wrote:
>

> > I just realized that I've forgotten to mention the one-time
> > RFC poster that I miss most: Shankar Bhattacharyya who
> > explained to us the chemistry of cooking and the subtleties of
> > regional Indian cooking styles...and in discussing Indian
> > food he often got into complex discussions with Bharati and
> > Geeta--Imiss them, too.

> Yes! I always enjoyed his "Will do chemisty for Food" tag line. He was
> always handy for the explanation, wasn't he?

And he wrote elegantly.

gloria p
Puester

Goomba38 wrote:

> Thelma Lubkin wrote:
>

> > I just realized that I've forgotten to mention the one-time
> > RFC poster that I miss most: Shankar Bhattacharyya who
> > explained to us the chemistry of cooking and the subtleties of
> > regional Indian cooking styles...and in discussing Indian
> > food he often got into complex discussions with Bharati and
> > Geeta--Imiss them, too.

> Yes! I always enjoyed his "Will do chemisty for Food" tag line. He was
> always handy for the explanation, wasn't he?

And he wrote elegantly.

gloria p

Nancy Young

Steve Ritter wrote:

> Who remembers Tanith Tyrr?
> She moved back East somewhere and had a fire sale at her house here in
> Berkeley. Giving away a ton of gourmet stuff. She even had an Iron Chef
> show live.

She and Barb are the only two rfcers who scared me.

nancy
Nancy Young

Steve Ritter wrote:

> Who remembers Tanith Tyrr?
> She moved back East somewhere and had a fire sale at her house here in
> Berkeley. Giving away a ton of gourmet stuff. She even had an Iron Chef
> show live.

She and Barb are the only two rfcers who scared me.

nancy
Christine Dabney

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:19:40 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>Steve Ritter wrote:
>
>> Who remembers Tanith Tyrr?
>> She moved back East somewhere and had a fire sale at her house here in
>> Berkeley. Giving away a ton of gourmet stuff. She even had an Iron Chef
>> show live.

>She and Barb are the only two rfcers who scared me.
>
>nancy

I thought I scared you. Especially with a needle in hand...

Christine
Christine Dabney

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:19:40 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>Steve Ritter wrote:
>
>> Who remembers Tanith Tyrr?
>> She moved back East somewhere and had a fire sale at her house here in
>> Berkeley. Giving away a ton of gourmet stuff. She even had an Iron Chef
>> show live.

>She and Barb are the only two rfcers who scared me.
>
>nancy

I thought I scared you. Especially with a needle in hand...

Christine

Nancy Young

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:19:40 -0500, Nancy Young

> >She and Barb are the only two rfcers who scared me.

> I thought I scared you. Especially with a needle in hand...

Oh, that's another matter entirely. Yes, I'm terrified of you in
your chosen profession. Gawd, I just had a nightmare about someone
getting a needle in their arm.

nancy (stay away from me)
Nancy Young

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:19:40 -0500, Nancy Young

> >She and Barb are the only two rfcers who scared me.

> I thought I scared you. Especially with a needle in hand...

Oh, that's another matter entirely. Yes, I'm terrified of you in
your chosen profession. Gawd, I just had a nightmare about someone
getting a needle in their arm.

nancy (stay away from me)
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Jim" > wrote in message

> He was living in Thailand the last time I saw him post here.
> I used to have the URL for his photography site, but lost it due to a hard
> drive crash.
> Does anyone here have it?
> The man has a talented eye.
> Jim

He's still in Chiang Mai, I think. I visited with him last year. He's very
busy with his teaching (photography) and his writing/photo-journalism stuff
was picking up speed, as well. The last I heard, he was extremely busy with
both sides of his business. I think his professional website is
www.photoenvisions.com but his personal website has a different address,
which I cannot remember.

rona
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Jim" > wrote in message

> He was living in Thailand the last time I saw him post here.
> I used to have the URL for his photography site, but lost it due to a hard
> drive crash.
> Does anyone here have it?
> The man has a talented eye.
> Jim

He's still in Chiang Mai, I think. I visited with him last year. He's very
busy with his teaching (photography) and his writing/photo-journalism stuff
was picking up speed, as well. The last I heard, he was extremely busy with
both sides of his business. I think his professional website is
www.photoenvisions.com but his personal website has a different address,
which I cannot remember.

rona
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."
--Bruce Graham

Mike Pearce

"Sheryl Rosen" > wrote in message
...,
Miche at wrote:

> > And Andy Pforzheimer, who left the group and opened a couple of
> > restaurants. And Kay Hartman, whom I miss dreadfully.
> >
> > Miche

> Barcelona, in South Norwalk CT is one of them. I've eaten there, and it's
> one of my very favorite restaurants!
>
> It's a tapas and wine bar. They have the most amazing chorizo and figs in

> sweet and sour sauce...to die for!

Barcelona is a wonderful place. That's a former RFCer, huh?. I have a client
around the corner from them and whenever I'm working there Barcelona is
number one on my places to eat. You are right about the chorizo and figs,
their sweet breads are the best I've had and they have great tortilla's. I
can't recall ever having anything there that wasn't very well prepared and
I've been through just about the entire tapas menu.

It's a great place to have a long leisurely meal while sitting at the bar
with friends.

I may be making a trip up there within the next couple of months.

-Mike