blake murphy

Default The old rfc gang?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:45:26 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:32:59 GMT, nck >
>wrote:
>
>>We were all following one of the original post-er's and his wife as they
>>went through her wait for a heart transplant, their joy when she got one and
>>the heartbreak of her death when the heart was rejected. It was a small
>>group then and we all felt we knew each other...

>There was just as much bickering back ('95-'97) then as there is
>now. Just no trolls (as we know them today).
>
>-sw

they were called 'moles' then and harshly dealt with.

your pal,
blake
Charles Gifford

"Felicity Jones" > wrote in message
> I miss Blackbeard's postings.

Submarines once; submarines twice....

Charles Gifford

"Felicity Jones" > wrote in message
> I miss Blackbeard's postings.

Submarines once; submarines twice....

Michel Boucher

nck > wrote in
:

> Is anybody here from the original newsgroup gang? It seemed so
> much like a bunch of neighbours sitting around the kitchen table
> exchanging recipes and gossip.
> Anybody out there?
> I think I used to use "kangatoo" or some variation on that. Also
> "cassandraK"

I've been around since 1991. Mostly lurked back then because I was
logging in through the Cleveland Freenet and it was only a 1 hour
connection per day and there was a LOT to read.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003
Michel Boucher

nck > wrote in
:

> Is anybody here from the original newsgroup gang? It seemed so
> much like a bunch of neighbours sitting around the kitchen table
> exchanging recipes and gossip.
> Anybody out there?
> I think I used to use "kangatoo" or some variation on that. Also
> "cassandraK"

I've been around since 1991. Mostly lurked back then because I was
logging in through the Cleveland Freenet and it was only a 1 hour
connection per day and there was a LOT to read.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003
Michel Boucher

Sheryl Rosen > wrote in
:

> I came on in Feb or March of 1997. With a (gasp!!!) Webtv!!!!

Yes, I remember. You were one of the okay ones from the beginning.

> most of the questions have been answered, ad nauseum.

It's not that. We're just heading into the Spring doldrum (Fall
doldrum for sub-equatorial types).

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003
Michel Boucher

Sheryl Rosen > wrote in
:

> I came on in Feb or March of 1997. With a (gasp!!!) Webtv!!!!

Yes, I remember. You were one of the okay ones from the beginning.

> most of the questions have been answered, ad nauseum.

It's not that. We're just heading into the Spring doldrum (Fall
doldrum for sub-equatorial types).

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003
nck

Default The old rfc gang?plus emergency LB marinade and pullet eggs

If you add some chocolate liqueur to the hot choc, you have a perfect
bedtime toddy...the alcohol helps you drift off, and the calcium helps you
to stay asleep. I also use a little brandy when I don't have the liqueur.
I think I remember you.
Yay!
I just posted a comment about missing the "elitist" days of the 'net...I
think that, before everybody and their grandmother got wired, the newsgroups
were a lot more fun. You really got to know each other. The insults were
more personal ;-), people who tried to run the group according to their own
ideas of what it should be eventually went elsewhere, there were no
"forwards" of the cyber-equivalent of chain letters and the latest urban
myth "warning"..(my mother's friends send those out by the dozens. Anybody
else receive 5 separate forwards of "the guy she met in church?") and there
was sure a hell of a lot less of all those ads coming through your
email...so few that you could complain to your access provider and they
would actually DO something!
On the other hand, grandma is having a lot of fun, so what they hey.
Curmudgeonly yours...
PS The emergency marinade wasn't too bad, just a tad too sweet, but ok. The
chardonnay is a winner. Great thing to do with a bottle about to go off on
you.
PPS I just got a dozen fresh-laid pullet eggs. If you have never tasted
these little eggs, try and find some. They are delish. Makes an egg salad
a gourmet treat.

in article , Leila A. at
wrote on 3/27/04 12:46 AM:

> Miche > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> nck > wrote:
>>
>>> Is anybody here from the original newsgroup gang? It seemed so much like a
>>> bunch of neighbours sitting around the kitchen table exchanging recipes and
>>> gossip.
>>> Anybody out there?
>>> I think I used to use "kangatoo" or some variation on that. Also

>> Define "original newsgroup gang". I've been here for ten years but the
>> group was going long before that.
>>
>> Miche

> Yeah, I only joined in 1997 so I sure ain't original. Then again, I
> think I am something of an original. How many 6 foot tall half-Arab
> Tabbouli Princesses married to half-Jewish Scotsmen do YOU know?
>
> Nobody has mentioned Ray Bruman, of the 4th of July parties. Or Rich
> Tester. Or Brian Mailman. I've seen Ray and Brian in the last coupla
> years - they're fine, just doing other things...
>
> Ob Food: Hershey's Cocoa in warm milk. The cocoa works great in Fanny
> Farmer's Chocolate Buttermilk cake, too.
>
> Leila

nck

wrote on 3/27/04 12:46 AM:

> Miche > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> nck > wrote:
>>
>>> Is anybody here from the original newsgroup gang? It seemed so much like a
>>> bunch of neighbours sitting around the kitchen table exchanging recipes and
>>> gossip.
>>> Anybody out there?
>>> I think I used to use "kangatoo" or some variation on that. Also

>> Define "original newsgroup gang". I've been here for ten years but the
>> group was going long before that.
>>
>> Miche

> Yeah, I only joined in 1997 so I sure ain't original. Then again, I
> think I am something of an original. How many 6 foot tall half-Arab
> Tabbouli Princesses married to half-Jewish Scotsmen do YOU know?
>
> Nobody has mentioned Ray Bruman, of the 4th of July parties. Or Rich
> Tester. Or Brian Mailman. I've seen Ray and Brian in the last coupla
> years - they're fine, just doing other things...
>
> Ob Food: Hershey's Cocoa in warm milk. The cocoa works great in Fanny
> Farmer's Chocolate Buttermilk cake, too.
>
> Leila

nck

Mimi, of course. I think she was one of the founding fathers and mothers,
wasn't she? I had forgotten about Puds! I used to love her cats.
I had sort of stopped posting to anything when I got promoted at work to a
product buyer for International Pop and Latin music. I started spending
most of my time going to various countries' music ng's and URL's to get
things like the Athens Top 40 and making sales charts and so forth. Come to
think of it, that's about the time I quit real cooking and started living on
lunches and dinners out with salespeople who were trying to get on my good
side (I had a large budget for purchasing and knew my stuff)
At least I found out which places in Denver did the best Calamari!

in article , Thelma Lubkin at
wrote on 3/26/04 11:52 PM:

> Goomba38 > wrote:
> : Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of the cats;
> : Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the line?) Kay and her
> : wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners she'd share with her uncle;
> : Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
> : stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
> : line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
> : "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
> : wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
> : then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>
> No one has yet recalled either Mimi of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen or
> Stephanie DaSilva
> --thelma
> : Goomba

nck

wrote on 3/26/04 11:52 PM:

> Goomba38 > wrote:
> : Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of the cats;
> : Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the line?) Kay and her
> : wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners she'd share with her uncle;
> : Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
> : stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
> : line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
> : "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
> : wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
> : then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>
> No one has yet recalled either Mimi of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen or
> Stephanie DaSilva
> --thelma
> : Goomba

nck

Yes..that was such a moving experience to share with everyone. Where is the
goat cheese torte recipe? I might make it this weekend just to have and
excuse to tell everybody I invite to eat it about her.
I remember that just about everybody emailed her husband to support him when
it happened, but I can't remember his name, and he wrote so tenderly and
from the gut about it.
Maybe we ought to bust outta here and start our own Yahoo group or
something? I've gotten some nasty comments about daring to start an OT
thread!

in article , Miche at
wrote on 3/26/04 10:48 PM:

>>> I remember that. The poster's name was Susan Hattie Steinsapir. I
>>> think she died in January '96.

>> And she has been immortalized witih her Goat Cheese Torte.

> Yep.
>
> Fancy meeting you here!
>
> Miche

nck

wrote on 3/26/04 10:48 PM:

>>> I remember that. The poster's name was Susan Hattie Steinsapir. I
>>> think she died in January '96.

>> And she has been immortalized witih her Goat Cheese Torte.

> Yep.
>
> Fancy meeting you here!
>
> Miche

Thelma Lubkin

Thelma Lubkin > wrote:

: No one has yet recalled either Mimi of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen or
: Stephanie DaSilva
: --thelma

I just realized that I've forgotten to mention the one-time
RFC poster that I miss most: Shankar Bhattacharyya who
explained to us the chemistry of cooking and the subtleties of
regional Indian cooking styles...and in discussing Indian
food he often got into complex discussions with Bharati and
Geeta--Imiss them, too.
--thelma
: : Goomba

Steve Kramer

Michel Boucher wrote:

> Sheryl Rosen > wrote in
> :
>
> > I came on in Feb or March of 1997. With a (gasp!!!) Webtv!!!!

> Yes, I remember. You were one of the okay ones from the beginning.
>
> > most of the questions have been answered, ad nauseum.

> It's not that. We're just heading into the Spring doldrum (Fall
> doldrum for sub-equatorial types).

I'm not here any more. )
But... with 400 spam e-mails a day telling me how I can reduce my
mortgage, increase my bust size, buy $700 software for only $50 (It's
only $2.50 here *grin*) meet the girl of my dreams who has set me up
with a blind date, obtain an 10" penis (I absolutely REFUSE to cut off
any for anyone!) who has time for cooking? And Spring? It's 37°C (98°F)
here and the hot season hasn't begun yet!

But dinner was kwei tee-o nam mu with a side order of popia so how can I
complain?

Steve Kramer
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com

Five years, seven months, six days, 14 hours, 44 minutes and 40 seconds.
61368 cigarettes not smoked, saving $15,342.10. Time used for a better
purpose: 30 weeks, 3 days, 2 hours, 0 minutes.

--
"The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new lands,
but in seeing with new eyes!" Marcel Proust
Steve Kramer

In rec.food.cooking, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
> stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
> line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
> "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
> wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
> then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.

Whatever happened to King Joel?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, Goomba38 > wrote:
> Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
> stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
> line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
> "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
> wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
> then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.

Whatever happened to King Joel?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Curly Sue

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:28:45 GMT, nck >
wrote:

>Mimi, of course. I think she was one of the founding fathers and mothers,
>wasn't she?

No, but she was one of the founders of rec.food.cuisine.jewish.

The impression I have is that SDS was one of the earliest in rfc.

I'm not sure of the timeline, but Katrine Kirk, Joel Erlich, Ray
Bruman, Anne Bourget were also some latter-early posters.
Souris (Henry Hillbrath) was active in the "Middle Ages."

Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

In rec.food.cooking, Leila A. > wrote:

> Yeah, I only joined in 1997 so I sure ain't original.

Early '96 for me. I waltzed in, stepped on toes, and had no regrets.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, Leila A. > wrote:

> Yeah, I only joined in 1997 so I sure ain't original.

Early '96 for me. I waltzed in, stepped on toes, and had no regrets.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
nck > wrote:

> I remember that just about everybody emailed her husband to support him when
> it happened, but I can't remember his name, and he wrote so tenderly and
> from the gut about it.

I believe that it was Andreas.

Anne
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
nck > wrote:

> I remember that just about everybody emailed her husband to support him when
> it happened, but I can't remember his name, and he wrote so tenderly and
> from the gut about it.

I believe that it was Andreas.

Anne
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
nck > wrote:

> PPS I just got a dozen fresh-laid pullet eggs. If you have never tasted
> these little eggs, try and find some. They are delish. Makes an egg salad
> a gourmet treat.

Oh my, you *must* create a dish and call it the "Pullet Surprise"; be
sure to serve it to the book club! ;-)

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
nck > wrote:

> PPS I just got a dozen fresh-laid pullet eggs. If you have never tasted
> these little eggs, try and find some. They are delish. Makes an egg salad
> a gourmet treat.

Oh my, you *must* create a dish and call it the "Pullet Surprise"; be
sure to serve it to the book club! ;-)

Anne
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
Steve Kramer > wrote:

> I'm not here any more. )

Steve!!!!

Wow! *5 1/2* years!! Good on ya!!

> But... with 400 spam e-mails a day...

Talk to me offline, let's see if we can't help you....

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
President, CEO
Institute for Spam and Internet Public Policy
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
Steve Kramer > wrote:

> I'm not here any more. )

Steve!!!!

Wow! *5 1/2* years!! Good on ya!!

> But... with 400 spam e-mails a day...

Talk to me offline, let's see if we can't help you....

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
President, CEO
Institute for Spam and Internet Public Policy
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
nck > wrote:

> Well, attitudes like yours are why newsgroups turn into the domain of a few
> control types and not as much fun as they used to be.
> I miss the days when the 'net was elitist. I honestly do.
>

> in article et, Charles
> Gifford at wrote on 3/27/04 3:09 AM:
>
> > Many of them left because of the idea of "neighbours sitting around the
> > kitchen table". It was not and is not an idea universally accepted.

I think you misunderstand - Charlie was always one of the neighbors - I
think he was just describing the state of things at the time.....

And can we change this thread to a flame about top-posting? :-)

Anne
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
nck > wrote:

> Well, attitudes like yours are why newsgroups turn into the domain of a few
> control types and not as much fun as they used to be.
> I miss the days when the 'net was elitist. I honestly do.
>

> in article et, Charles
> Gifford at wrote on 3/27/04 3:09 AM:
>
> > Many of them left because of the idea of "neighbours sitting around the
> > kitchen table". It was not and is not an idea universally accepted.

I think you misunderstand - Charlie was always one of the neighbors - I
think he was just describing the state of things at the time.....

And can we change this thread to a flame about top-posting? :-)

Anne

Goomba38

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> Goomba38 > wrote:
> : Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of the cats;
> : Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the line?) Kay and her
> : wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners she'd share with her uncle;
> : Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
> : stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
> : line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
> : "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
> : wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
> : then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>
> No one has yet recalled either Mimi of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen or
> Stephanie DaSilva

You're correct!! And I'm always fussing at folks that pass on her sticky chicken
recipe without proper attributions.
Goomba

Goomba38

Thelma Lubkin wrote:

> Goomba38 > wrote:
> : Lessee.. there was Mary (Puds) and her wonderful ASCI drawings of the cats;
> : Moose and Mavis (wasn't she always making him tow the line?) Kay and her
> : wonderful missives about those fabulous dinners she'd share with her uncle;
> : Charlie Gifford in his Liam days; Sheryl Rosen and her wicked stepmother
> : stories; "Squeaks" Pulliam and her memorial to her brother in her siggy
> : line; The Taboulli Princess in prebaby days; Sheldon, yet not quite as
> : "Sheldon-y" yet; Stan was around touting the joys of ketchup even then,
> : wasn't he?..... those are some off the top of my head I recall from back
> : then. I used to post under assorted various names/ISP's.
>
> No one has yet recalled either Mimi of Mimi's Cyber Kitchen or
> Stephanie DaSilva

You're correct!! And I'm always fussing at folks that pass on her sticky chicken
recipe without proper attributions.
Goomba

The Ranger

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. > surfaced in message
> > Hi there! How's life?
> >

> Fantastic! Lots of changes, but, unless others want to know too, I
> won't bore the group with it. :-)

There is at least one that's interested... I'm sure there are others.

The Ranger
--
To reply, remove a '-'

The Ranger

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. > surfaced in message
> > Hi there! How's life?
> >

> Fantastic! Lots of changes, but, unless others want to know too, I
> won't bore the group with it. :-)

There is at least one that's interested... I'm sure there are others.

The Ranger
--
To reply, remove a '-'

Goomba38

"Leila A." wrote:

> Ob Food: Hershey's Cocoa in warm milk. The cocoa works great in Fanny
> Farmer's Chocolate Buttermilk cake, too.

Oooh.. and here I was looking for buttermilk recipes last week. Got one to share for this cake?? )
Goomba