Default Thai Chile Verde or Mexican Gang Ki Wan

Ingredients:

½ lb. Thai eggplant or tomatillos
1 pound of boneless pork shoulder, road kill or the meat of your choice
2 tablespoons rice flour or masa harina
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Gaeng Keo Warn1, 1 Tbs.
¼ cup heavy coconut milk -get it at a Thai-Asian market
1 each 7 oz. Can peeled and diced tomatoes - with liquid, or ¾ lb. fresh
Roma tomatoes, chopped
½ each 7 oz. Can Ortega diced, smoked, green chili peppers
2 Kaffir lime leaves
2 napolitos - get them at a Mexican market
4 or 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
½ onion
1 jalapeno chile
1 Anaheim chile or ancho
¼ teaspoon ground black and/or white pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt, to taste
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ cup chopped cilantro
¾ teaspoon sugar, to taste

lime wedges
cooked white rice
warm corn tortillas

Pre-cooking:

Cut the pork meat in chunks. Save any big pieces of fat to cook in with
the black beans2. Chop the tomatillos, garlic cloves, jalapenos, onions and
Anaheim chilies and set aside.

Scrape spines off napolitos, cut into ½ x 2" strips and boil in salted
water about 10 minutes until tender.

Set tall pot in mid-high heat. Add the cold olive oil to hot pot. Dredge
the meat in rice flour and fry until it looks medium brown, mixing it
constantly to avoid burning. Now add the coconut milk, tomatoes -with
liquid, Ortega diced green chili peppers, chopped veggies, ground black
pepper, gang ki warn, cumin, salt and cayenne. Mix it well and let it cook
at a very low boil or high simmer for at least 1 hour, adjusting flavor to
taste as desired, stirring frequently, until the meat is very soft. Add
napolitos and cilantro just before serving.

Serve with cooked rice, black beans and lime wedges. Heat the tortillas and
enjoy! Serves 4 to 6.

Tip:

Heating tortillas on a microwave: To heat tortillas you can wrap them in a
kitchen towel and put them inside a container. Microwave 15 seconds per
tortilla.

(Nam Prig) Gaeng Ki Warn - Thai Green Curry Paste (makes ¼ cup or up to ½
cup if ground with water)

Ingredients (or buy the paste at a Thai-Asian market)

2 pieces kah (also called kalangal or lao) - a form of ginger -get them at
a Thai-Asian market
2 pieces Kaffir lime rind -get them at a Thai-Asian market
¼ cup warm water

7 (1 oz.) Serrano chiles
1 stalk lemon grass, bottom 6 in. only -get them at a Thai-Asian market
¼ cup finely chopped coriander (cilantro) root
¼ cup (1 oz.) finely chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons (1 oz.) finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon shrimp paste -get it at a Thai-Asian market

Soak the kah and Kaffir lime rind in the warm water for 15 minutes. Drain
before using. Retain the water for grinding (see below) if necessary.

Remove the stems, but not the seeds, from the chiles and chop the chiles
finely. Chop the kah, Kaffir lime rind and lemon grass finely. Add the
remaining ingredients and pound or grind in a mortar or blender. If you use
a blender, you may have to add a little water to aid in grinding. This will
last in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks
or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

2. Black Beans (Habichuelas Negras-estilo Puerto Riqueño alla Cristofalo)
Serves 4 to 6.

Ingredients

½ cup dried black beans, rinsed
1½ cups water
¼ cup Marsala wine
2 slices bacon or equivalent amount of pork shoulder fat
¾ teaspoon onion powder or ¼ finely minced yellow onion
½ teaspoon celery salt or ½ finely minced stalk of celery and ¼ teaspoon of
salt
1 finely chopped Serrano chile
2 or 3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon cumin

Don’t blanche the beans! It removes some of the delicate flavor along with
the badge of a ‘beaner’! Combine the beans and water in a large kettle.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from
heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.

Cut the bacon or pork fat into small pieces and slow cook until crisp. Add
to beans along with any drippings. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a
boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer over a very low fire, stirring
frequently, for at least 2 to 3 hours, until beans are very soft and sauce
has thickened. I love it!

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

DC.

> [...]

> ½ teaspoon celery salt or ½ finely minced stalk of celery and ¼ teaspoon

of
> salt
> 1 finely chopped Serrano chile
> 2 or 3 cloves garlic, crushed
> 1 bay leaf
> ¼ teaspoon cumin
>
> Don't blanche the beans! It removes some of the delicate flavor along with
> the badge of a 'beaner'! Combine the beans and water in a large kettle.
> Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from
> heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
>
> Cut the bacon or pork fat into small pieces and slow cook until crisp. Add
> to beans along with any drippings. Add remaining ingredients and bring to

> boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer over a very low fire, stirring
> frequently, for at least 2 to 3 hours, until beans are very soft and sauce

Thanks for publishing this mini novel, it sure makes interesting reading &
has got me salivating. Is there a sequal or a movie deal?

DC.

"DC." > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> > Ingredients:
> >

> Thanks for publishing this mini novel, it sure makes interesting reading
> & has got me salivating. Is there a sequal or a movie deal?

Sorry. I will shorten my posts in the future.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

DC.

> wrote in message
> "DC." > wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > > Ingredients:
> > >

> > Thanks for publishing this mini novel, it sure makes interesting reading
> > & has got me salivating. Is there a sequal or a movie deal?
> >

> Sorry. I will shorten my posts in the future.

What... & leave out all the juicy bits! you crazy? or has Jun got yer back
on the meds. ; )

DC.

ps. Kilty called me again... he's having his harddrive formatted on Friday,
so hopefully he'll be up & running by the weekend or i might just pop over
there & boot it up myself.

Graeme...in London

"DC." > wrote in message

> ps. Kilty called me again... he's having his harddrive formatted on

Friday,
> so hopefully he'll be up & running by the weekend or i might just pop over
> there & boot it up myself.

I heard that!!

Kilty

"DC." > wrote:

> ps. Kilty called me again... he's having his harddrive formatted on
> Friday, so hopefully he'll be up & running by the weekend or i might just
> pop over there & boot it up myself.

Please give him a boot for me! ;-D

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Chile verde with nopales ~ Mexican Cooking 1 23-06-2008 04:18 PM
Chile Verde Swing Builder Mexican Cooking 4 23-02-2006 05:53 PM
JALEA DE CHILE VERDE Tim Recipes 0 24-07-2005 12:53 PM
Chile verde question maiggy Mexican Cooking 9 01-10-2003 04:36 PM