alzelt

Default First Meals Cooked by Your SO for you? (Was The old rfcgang?)

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> In article >,
> alzelt > wrote:
>

>>While I can resquest its presence on our dinner table, it is always part
>>of our Christmas Eve dinner. I can count on herring fixed the following
>>ways: mustard, pickled, shoemakers salmon(herring, not salmon), and as
>>part of Janssens Delight. Always accompanied by Finlandia and acquavitt.

> Several years ago, some friends of ours introduced us to a New Year's
> Eve custom, which they claim originated in Scandinavia (I forget which
> country). When the clock strikes midnight, you must have a piece of
> herring in your mouth, for this is supposed to ensure good luck in the
> coming year.
>
> For me, the prescription is best administered as small sandwiches, made
> with a piece of herring on rye or pumpernickel, a little dollop of sour
> cream, topped by a sprig of fresh dill, and washed down with a shot of
> icy-cold vodka. I can't say for sure that all of our good luck has
> followed from this, but I don't plan to stop the experiment.
>
> Cindy can't stand herring, so I have to eat enough for both of us. Our
> cats, who usually scarf most varieties of fish, are apparently put off
> by the vinegary smell. If I thoroughly wash off the vinegar, they will
> sometimes agree to take a bit of herring.

Quite obviously, your cats come from a poor lineage.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Julian Vrieslander

In article >,
alzelt > wrote:

> Quite obviously, your cats come from a poor lineage.

Ahem. Our two felines are purebred Russian Blues. Their ancestors
lived in the court of the Tsars. They certainly have better lineage
than I do.

But, because they are cats, they tend to be very discriminating about
their food. Cindy (the professor of nutrition and former animal
sciences major) makes sure that they get appropriate amounts of high
quality cat food. But they occasionally shake us down for table scraps.
All things in moderation, etc. Phoebe goes gonzo for almost all
varieties of fish. Jasper goes nuts for beef. But their real weakness
is Gerber baby food (the pureed meat varieties). Especially the veal.
This stuff is crack cocaine for cats. Put a dab on the end of a
chopstick and the critters will do anything for you. When Phoebe was a
kitten I trained her to do a set of tricks, using Gerber as a reward.
Jasper loves the baby food, but doesn't do tricks. Perhaps he is a slow
learner. Or maybe he thinks that it is inappropriate for creatures of
his noble lineage to perform for the entertainment of riffraff.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Charlotte L. Blackmer

Default The old rfc gang?

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:
>In article >, nck
> wrote:
>

>> Oh, just any of the originals. Most of us quite liked the OT stuff which
>> the heartbreak of her death when the heart was rejected. It was a small
>> group then and we all felt we knew each other...some of them who lived in
>> the same state used to get together in person (gasp!) at times. This would
>> have been almost 10 years ago...95, 96, 97.

>I think that you have a serious case of the "good old days" syndrome. It
>was a *big* group even back then and the posters were nothing like the
>"originals". I don't know how far back the group goes but it's way before
>1995. I just looked at a recipe I posted here and the date is July 1992.

Yep, it was well-established and high-volume already in 1995 when I
started being a regular (I was at the first cookin so there ;-). I had
poked my nose in earlier but had a crappy newsreader with my previous
account that didn't have any filtering capabilities. Once I got this
account and trn, I could sort by subject and zap anything that didn't look
interesting. I probably only have ever read a third of the posts in this
group at most.

There were trolls, and OT stuff, and stupid ****y flamewars; it was just
a lot less volume.

>There are still cookins. I haven't been to one in awhile but I see
>notices posted here. There was a cookin just a few months back in Sandy
>Eggo.

And will be one in June. I hope to be there.

And the cookin fun has spread across the US ... as much as I liked being
in the center of the universe (I live in Berkeley :-), this is a good
thing.

Charlotte
David Fetter

Steve Ritter > wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:01:45 GMT, sf > Interjected..
> :
>
>> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:48:24 -0500, Goomba38
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Sheldon, yet not quite as "Sheldon-y" yet;

>> What color is the sky on planet where you live???
>>
>> He's absolutely tame compared to the way he posted in the days of
>> the Tabouli Princess.

I suspect this varies with his med levels.

>> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> You got that right. Now he shuts up with a quick slap.
>
> Who remembers Tanith Tyrr?

I do, and not with any affection. The phrase "Drama Queen" was
invented just to describe her. At cook-ins, she'd get all kinds of
exotic meats, then make sure you couldn't actually taste them from the
(tasteless, but expensive--she made sure you knew the latter) sauce
they were smothered in.

> She moved back East somewhere and had a fire sale at her house here
> in Berkeley. Giving away a ton of gourmet stuff.

To somebody who knew how to use it, I hope. That would have been a
big change.

> She even had an Iron Chef show live.

Oh, that. Another "showcase Tanith" production :P

> Those were the days. We had San Francisco, Berkeley cook ins.

Still got 'em if you know where to look.

Cheers,
David Fetter http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 mobile: +1 415 235 3778

A full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.
Franklin D. Roosevelt, speech, November 1, 1940
alzelt

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> In article >,
> alzelt > wrote:
>

>>Quite obviously, your cats come from a poor lineage.

> Ahem. Our two felines are purebred Russian Blues. Their ancestors
> lived in the court of the Tsars. They certainly have better lineage
> than I do.
>
> But, because they are cats, they tend to be very discriminating about
> their food. Cindy (the professor of nutrition and former animal
> sciences major) makes sure that they get appropriate amounts of high
> quality cat food. But they occasionally shake us down for table scraps.
> All things in moderation, etc. Phoebe goes gonzo for almost all
> varieties of fish. Jasper goes nuts for beef. But their real weakness
> is Gerber baby food (the pureed meat varieties). Especially the veal.
> This stuff is crack cocaine for cats. Put a dab on the end of a
> chopstick and the critters will do anything for you. When Phoebe was a
> kitten I trained her to do a set of tricks, using Gerber as a reward.
> Jasper loves the baby food, but doesn't do tricks. Perhaps he is a slow
> learner. Or maybe he thinks that it is inappropriate for creatures of
> his noble lineage to perform for the entertainment of riffraff.

As Victor would say, no cat of Russian lineage would eschew good herring.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

Alan,

What a great recipe, and story! Thank you so much!

> Sorry, I can't be of help on your specific request. The SBF does not
> know of any bread with that particular sounding name. She asked me to
> ask you if you could tell us how it was shaped. Round, loaf, sliced,
> braided? In many cases, shape determines when it is served.

It was always made a round loaf, but I don't know that means anything,
but which I mean I don't know whether the friend would have been true to
the shape, or just done what was easiest.

Anne
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"David Fetter" > wrote in message
> Steve Ritter > wrote:

> > Who remembers Tanith Tyrr?

> I do, and not with any affection. The phrase "Drama Queen" was
> invented just to describe her. At cook-ins, she'd get all kinds of
> exotic meats, then make sure you couldn't actually taste them from the
> (tasteless, but expensive--she made sure you knew the latter) sauce
> they were smothered in.

<snip>

:-). Tanith stopped posting regularly not too long after I started reading
regularly. I remember her mostly from her munged reply address--I could
never figure it out. But a few months ago I came upon her name while
searching for some information on beef and then did a Google search just on
her name. To say she has varied interests would be an understatement. The
things I wish I didn't know...

rona
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."

Ranee Mueller

In article >, "Anne P.
Mitchell, Esq." > wrote:

> Anyone else? What was the first meal your SO made for you?

Something that looked vaguely as though it came from the swamp.
It was rice with peas and parmesan mixed in. Don't remember what else
was in it. However, I was a broke college student and it actually
tasted alright, and we were goofy in love.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Jarkat2002

>Date: 4/5/04 3:15 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>In article >, "Anne P.
>Mitchell, Esq." > wrote:
>
>> Anyone else? What was the first meal your SO made for you?

> Something that looked vaguely as though it came from the swamp.
>It was rice with peas and parmesan mixed in. Don't remember what else
>was in it. However, I was a broke college student and it actually
>tasted alright, and we were goofy in love.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

The first meal my DH (then BF) made for me was a chicken dish w/ mushrooms and
sour cream.
I'm allergic to mushrooms and can't stand the smell, taste and texture of sour
cream.
oh well ... I married him anyway

~Kat

"The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese."

kalanamak

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> To say she has varied interests would be an understatement. The
> things I wish I didn't know...

My favourite was the B. Mailman party where she brought a young male
submissive who wasn't supposed to talk without her permission. When she
finally gave him permission we all wished she'd make him shut up, as he
was a non-stop talker and boring. That was the party where the selzer
dispenser was the Most Popular Guest.
blacksalt
oh, those middleaged, childless days
Charles Gifford

"David Fetter" > wrote in message

> > Those were the days. We had San Francisco, Berkeley cook ins.

> Still got 'em if you know where to look.
>
> Cheers,
> David Fetter http://fetter.org/
> phone: +1 510 893 6100 mobile: +1 415 235 3778

David, I hope you can make it to the San Diego Cook-In in June. I did invite
Tanith, but I don't think she can attend. You will be able to see many old
friends! I think Brian and Stephen will be there along with Charlotte, Janis
and Rich and a couple of other Bay Area folks are planning on attending or
at least are in hopes.

Charlie

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

> Something that looked vaguely as though it came from the swamp.
> It was rice with peas and parmesan mixed in. Don't remember what else
> was in it. However, I was a broke college student and it actually
> tasted alright, and we were goofy in love.

And look at you now with your wonderful family! :-)
Ranee Mueller

In article >, "Anne P.
Mitchell, Esq." > wrote:

> > Something that looked vaguely as though it came from the swamp.
> > It was rice with peas and parmesan mixed in. Don't remember what else
> > was in it. However, I was a broke college student and it actually
> > tasted alright, and we were goofy in love.

> And look at you now with your wonderful family! :-)

That's right! So, don't judge someone by the first meal they cook
you.

Of course the second thing he made for me was a from scratch, from a
pumpkin pie made from his grandmother's recipe. I was quite prepared to
tell him how I'd never had any pie like it before, but it was actually
very nice. Now that's his job at Thanksgiving.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Puester

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." wrote:

> Anyone else? What was the first meal your SO made for you?

Married almost 38 years, I'm still waiting for it....

;-)
gloria p

kilikini

"Puester" > wrote in message
> "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." wrote:
> >

> > Anyone else? What was the first meal your SO made for you?
> >

> Married almost 38 years, I'm still waiting for it....
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

Best response yet. ROFLMAO............still
LMAO..............LOL..........(sigh)

kili

maxine in ri

Puester wrote:

> "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." wrote:
> >

> > Anyone else? What was the first meal your SO made for you?
> >

> Married almost 38 years, I'm still waiting for it....
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

A spinach noodle, sour cream, cheddar cheese and surimi casserole
when we first started dating. matter of fact, there's a package of
green noodles in the storeroom. I think I may be making that again shortly

maxine in ri
Llanite

Default The old rfc gang? +mar2nis

OK!!! Got to do it!

Dear Group! To:

Terry, Sticks, Victor, Miche, Alzelt, Barb, Modom,
Greater/Lesser, JuneM, PenMart10, NancyY, Harry, Eva,
Liam, Ian, and all those wonderul people who kept me
honest:

Thanks for wonderful time in r.f.c.

Do you mean those of Group A, or Group B? <g>

I recall the Group B people griped that they
were not included in Group A! I don't recall the
fellow(!) who established a list of the most
(in his words) (expletive deleted) posters and I
was pleased to be included in his group A of 10!

Art, forsaking a Mar2ni tonight....but still Group A!
Wishing the best to all the old farts.

WRM:

Where is the Tabouli Princess? Leila, are you out there?

sticks

ROTFL!!! Art you are still a honey! how is that darling wife? (mind
you I'm snipping some of your post). A or B, the Big Bern man is still
A type, we never figured out me I'm A and B and then some LOL...he
laughed for 3 days over that one!

Hugs,
Sticks

Llanite wrote:
> OK!!! Got to do it!
>
> Dear Group! To:
>
> Terry, Sticks, Victor, Miche, Alzelt, Barb, Modom,
> Greater/Lesser, JuneM, PenMart10, NancyY, Harry, Eva,
> Liam, Ian, and all those wonderul people who kept me
> honest:

> Do you mean those of Group A, or Group B? <g>
>
> I recall the Group B people griped that they
> were not included in Group A! I don't recall the
> fellow(!) who established a list of the most
> (in his words) (expletive deleted) posters and I
> was pleased to be included in his group A of 10!

Charles Gifford

"Llanite" > wrote in message
> OK!!! Got to do it!
>
> Dear Group! To:
>
> Terry, Sticks, Victor, Miche, Alzelt, Barb, Modom,
> Greater/Lesser, JuneM, PenMart10, NancyY, Harry, Eva,
> Liam, Ian, and all those wonderul people who kept me
> honest:
>
> Thanks for wonderful time in r.f.c.

> Do you mean those of Group A, or Group B? <g>
>
> I recall the Group B people griped that they
> were not included in Group A! I don't recall the
> fellow(!) who established a list of the most
> (in his words) (expletive deleted) posters and I
> was pleased to be included in his group A of 10!
>
> Art, forsaking a Mar2ni tonight....but still Group A!
> Wishing the best to all the old farts.
>
> WRM:
>
> Where is the Tabouli Princess? Leila, are you out there?

Hey Art! Nice to hear from you. You are still missed!

Charlie Liam, old fart!

sf

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:57:03 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:
>
> Charlie Liam, old fart!

Oh, you aren't *that* old.... ya big fart.

Miche

In article >,
Llanite > wrote:

> OK!!! Got to do it!
>
> Dear Group! To:
>
> Terry, Sticks, Victor, Miche, Alzelt, Barb, Modom,
> Greater/Lesser, JuneM, PenMart10, NancyY, Harry, Eva,
> Liam, Ian, and all those wonderul people who kept me
> honest:
>
> Thanks for wonderful time in r.f.c.

Most welcome, m'dear.

> Do you mean those of Group A, or Group B? <g>
>
> I recall the Group B people griped that they
> were not included in Group A! I don't recall the
> fellow(!) who established a list of the most
> (in his words) (expletive deleted) posters and I
> was pleased to be included in his group A of 10!

Oy, open an old wound and pour lemon juice on it why don'cha!

Don't worry about me, I'll be fine over here on the Group W bench.

> Art, forsaking a Mar2ni tonight....but still Group A!
> Wishing the best to all the old farts.

No mar2nies for me, neither. Work tomorrow.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:54:59 GMT, Llanite >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>OK!!! Got to do it!
>
>Dear Group! To:
>
>Terry, Sticks, Victor, Miche, Alzelt, Barb, Modom,
>Greater/Lesser, JuneM, PenMart10, NancyY, Harry, Eva,
>Liam, Ian, and all those wonderul people who kept me
>honest:

Whoo Hoo! I got top billing <neener, neener!>

>Thanks for wonderful time in r.f.c.

Yer welcome, but there are some absent posters we all miss and were
included in a thread a while ago. OTOH, we have some rockin' newbies,
too.

>Do you mean those of Group A, or Group B? <g>

And don't forget the Trollops! There's still a few of us around!

<snip>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
Ranee Mueller

In article > , Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> I'm making dinner tonight. The only thing I know we're having for
> sure is tilapia in a mustard crust (I think). I don't know about
> side dishes or salad yet.

Have you posted how you made that crust? I have some tilapia in the
freezer and that sounds great. Thank you!

Regards,
Ranee