Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chili sans-carne

I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
kidney/pinto/black beans.

Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
chili"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:03:28 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:

> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>
> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
> chili"?

Dump it over cornbread and just call it what it is; beans and cornbread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 23:12:16 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:03:28 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>>
>> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>> chili"?
>>

>Dump it over cornbread and just call it what it is; beans and cornbread.

"Vegetarian chili" is a good name. Speaks for itself. But that was not
the question.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1:03:28 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>
> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
> chili"?

Mushrooms are an option. I've done it using the white button mushrooms, and it worked for me. You can also add cashews, although they are somewhat pricey. Peanuts come to mind, although I haven't tried chili with those.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 01:03:27 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>kidney/pinto/black beans.
>
>Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>chili"?

You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own, and
you'll know who's in it... pork costs less than beef so grind a pork
shoulder. You can buy inexpensive beef roasts for grinding. I buy
shoulder pork chops when on sale and filet out the meat to grind or to
fry and braise the meaty bones in #10 cans of crushed tomatoes to make
fantastic tomato sauce for pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>kidney/pinto/black beans.
>
>Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>chili"?

There are many, many recipes (of all kinds) for vegetarian chili on
the Internet.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:31:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own...

<yawn> That's almost always more expensive. Go ahead and contest
that. And I'll use your current local supermarket prices to prove
you wrong.

You know the drill by now <sigh> so go ahead and start...

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 6:31 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own,

I do my best NOT to eat too much ground meat, or boiled taters, ymmv.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 11:05 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:31:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own...

> <yawn> That's almost always more expensive. Go ahead and contest
> that. And I'll use your current local supermarket prices to prove
> you wrong.
>
> You know the drill by now <sigh> so go ahead and start...
>
> -sw

Can you run him for any moving violations or warrants like you just did
Julie?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 16:30:35 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 23:12:16 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:03:28 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>>
>>> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>>> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>>> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>>> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>>> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>>> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>>>
>>> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>>> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>>> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>>> chili"?
>>>

>>Dump it over cornbread and just call it what it is; beans and cornbread.

>"Vegetarian chili" is a good name. Speaks for itself. But that was not
>the question.

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:15:39 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 01:03:27 -0400, Michael Trew >
>wrote:
>
>>I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>>cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>>without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>>butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>>adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>>kidney/pinto/black beans.
>>
>>Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>>ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>>than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>>chili"?

>There are many, many recipes (of all kinds) for vegetarian chili on
>the Internet.

Ok, that's the end of RFC. It's all on the Internet already.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>kidney/pinto/black beans.
>
>Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>chili"?

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 03:38:03 -0700 (PDT), John Lorbal
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 1:03:28 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>>
>> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>> chili"?

>Mushrooms are an option. I've done it using the white button mushrooms, and it worked for me. You can also add cashews, although they are somewhat pricey. Peanuts come to mind, although I haven't tried chili with those.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 23:12:16 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:03:28 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>>
>> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>> chili"?
>>

>Dump it over cornbread and just call it what it is; beans and cornbread.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:31:49 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 01:03:27 -0400, Michael Trew >
> wrote:
> >I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
> >cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
> >without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
> >butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
> >adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
> >kidney/pinto/black beans.
> >
> >Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
> >ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
> >than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
> >chili"?

> You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own, and
> you'll know who's in it... pork costs less than beef so grind a pork
> shoulder. You can buy inexpensive beef roasts for grinding. I buy
> shoulder pork chops when on sale and filet out the meat to grind or to
> fry and braise the meaty bones in #10 cans of crushed tomatoes to make
> fantastic tomato sauce for pasta.

You don't need to grind meat for chili. I've cubed both pork shoulder and beef sirloin tip, or inside round or some such, and it turned out really good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> The other Dave Smith.

The other, Ass sniffing Dave Smith, in Australia.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Lorbal wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:31:49 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 01:03:27 -0400, Michael Trew >
>> wrote:
>>> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>>> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>>> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>>> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>>> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>>> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>>>
>>> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>>> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>>> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>>> chili"?

>> You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own, and
>> you'll know who's in it... pork costs less than beef so grind a pork
>> shoulder. You can buy inexpensive beef roasts for grinding. I buy
>> shoulder pork chops when on sale and filet out the meat to grind or to
>> fry and braise the meaty bones in #10 cans of crushed tomatoes to make
>> fantastic tomato sauce for pasta.

> You don't need to grind meat for chili. I've cubed both pork shoulder and beef sirloin tip, or inside round or some such, and it turned out really good.

Popeye grinds *everything* It's a religion for jewish sailors.

He's kidding about the #10 cans though. Popeye generally buys stuff
in 55 gallon drums, just like the navy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 14:06:03 -0700 (PDT), John Lorbal
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:31:49 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 01:03:27 -0400, Michael Trew >
>> wrote:
>> >I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>> >cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>> >without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>> >butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>> >adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>> >kidney/pinto/black beans.
>> >
>> >Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>> >ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>> >than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>> >chili"?

>> You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own, and
>> you'll know who's in it... pork costs less than beef so grind a pork
>> shoulder. You can buy inexpensive beef roasts for grinding. I buy
>> shoulder pork chops when on sale and filet out the meat to grind or to
>> fry and braise the meaty bones in #10 cans of crushed tomatoes to make
>> fantastic tomato sauce for pasta.

>You don't need to grind meat for chili. I've cubed both pork shoulder and beef sirloin tip, or inside round or some such, and it turned out really good.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 11:06:07 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:31:49 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 01:03:27 -0400, Michael Trew >
> > wrote:
> > >I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
> > >cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
> > >without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
> > >butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
> > >adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
> > >kidney/pinto/black beans.
> > >
> > >Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
> > >ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
> > >than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
> > >chili"?

> > You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own, and
> > you'll know who's in it... pork costs less than beef so grind a pork
> > shoulder. You can buy inexpensive beef roasts for grinding. I buy
> > shoulder pork chops when on sale and filet out the meat to grind or to
> > fry and braise the meaty bones in #10 cans of crushed tomatoes to make
> > fantastic tomato sauce for pasta.

> You don't need to grind meat for chili. I've cubed both pork shoulder and beef sirloin tip, or inside round or some such, and it turned out really good.

Not using ground meat seems to be the way to make real chili to me. I make it with about half a cup of Korean chili pepper powder. It gets pretty intense in color and flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 20:46:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 11:06:07 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:31:49 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>> > You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own, and
>> > you'll know who's in it... pork costs less than beef so grind a pork
>> > shoulder. You can buy inexpensive beef roasts for grinding. I buy
>> > shoulder pork chops when on sale and filet out the meat to grind or to
>> > fry and braise the meaty bones in #10 cans of crushed tomatoes to make
>> > fantastic tomato sauce for pasta.

>> You don't need to grind meat for chili. I've cubed both pork shoulder and beef sirloin tip, or inside round or some such, and it turned out really good.

>Not using ground meat seems to be the way to make real chili to me. I make it with about half a cup of Korean chili pepper powder. It gets pretty intense in color and flavor.

Not Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 11:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 11:06:07 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:31:49 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> You can cut down on the price of ground meat by grinding your own, and
>>> you'll know who's in it... pork costs less than beef so grind a pork
>>> shoulder. You can buy inexpensive beef roasts for grinding. I buy
>>> shoulder pork chops when on sale and filet out the meat to grind or to
>>> fry and braise the meaty bones in #10 cans of crushed tomatoes to make
>>> fantastic tomato sauce for pasta.

>> You don't need to grind meat for chili. I've cubed both pork shoulder and beef sirloin tip, or inside round or some such, and it turned out really good.

> Not using ground meat seems to be the way to make real chili to me. I make it with about half a cup of Korean chili pepper powder. It gets pretty intense in color and flavor.

What's the difference between regular chili powder and the Korean
variant? I can't say that I've ever heard of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2021 3:50 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:15:39 -0600, US >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 01:03:27 -0400, Michael >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>>> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>>> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>>> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>>> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>>> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>>>
>>> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>>> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>>> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>>> chili"?

>> There are many, many recipes (of all kinds) for vegetarian chili on
>> the Internet.

> Ok, that's the end of RFC. It's all on the Internet already.

Agreed... I'd much rather read posts of people sharing ideas about FOOD,
as opposed to more "they're here" or Kuthe garbage. Otherwise, why is
anyone here?

Then again, I suppose another purpose of Usenet is to harass others... lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 11:39:06 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/3/2021 3:50 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:15:39 -0600, US >
> > wrote:

> >> There are many, many recipes (of all kinds) for vegetarian chili on
> >> the Internet.

> > Ok, that's the end of RFC. It's all on the Internet already. ou
> >

> Agreed... I'd much rather read posts of people sharing ideas about FOOD,
> as opposed to more "they're here" or Kuthe garbage. Otherwise, why is
> anyone here?
>
> Then again, I suppose another purpose of Usenet is to harass others... lol

You could also try corn kernels in your veggie chili. I have a zany idea. Why not just toss in some whole corn on the
cobs?
That might be fun. When done, let them cool a bit, and then spoon some chili on the bite you're going to take.
Messy but different. Corn is these days a tad too sweet for me though; peas? Same thing. Carrots? Maybe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 11:36:04 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/3/2021 11:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> You don't need to grind meat for chili. I've cubed both pork shoulder and beef sirloin tip, or inside round or some such, and it turned out really good.

> > Not using ground meat seems to be the way to make real chili to me. I make it with about half a cup of Korean chili pepper powder. It gets pretty intense in color and flavor.

> What's the difference between regular chili powder and the Korean
> variant? I can't say that I've ever heard of it.

I don't know from Korean chili powder, but our local stuff here is the usual: ground 'chili' powder, paprika, maybe some cayenne, oregano, onion and garlic powder and salt. We can get ancho chili powder here, but it's sold in little spice bottles and is way expensive. Maybe the Korean is a pure chili pepper powder without any other stuff in there. Ask. Then you can customize with other ingredients, and not rely on a commercial mix.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean Soup (WAS: Chili sans-carne)

On 6/3/2021 1:03 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will.Â* Substituted
> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>
> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus.Â* Other
> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
> chili"?

Not chili and not "vegetarian", although you could make it so. I make a
nice spicy bean soup using black beans, red kidney, garbanzos, great
northern, navy, pinto and cut green beans. If you want it to be
vegetarian use vegetable stock/broth rather than beef. Can't guarantee
how good it will taste if you use just water or vegetable "stock".

I do sautee the onion and garlic in butter/oil. This quick fix soup
uses canned versions of all the beans. One can of each type of bean, e
water and stock to cover. Add all the herbs and spicse. Simmer on low
heat for about 2 hours.nd the

You could add canned crushed tomatoes at some point if you like.

This bean soup is nicely spiced, seasoned with ground chili seasoning,
1 tps. gruond thyme. A little ground ancho pepper and a Tbs. of liquid
Tabasco or some other hot sauce.

I thicken the soup with 1/4 cup of pearled barley added in the last 20
minutes of cooking. The soup is quite nicely spiced and filling. I
nearly always bake a skillet of cornbread to go with it. If I'm feeling
adventurous, cornmeal griddle cakes cooked on the stove top to go with.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2021 9:36 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/3/2021 11:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 11:06:07 AM UTC-10,
>> wrote:

>>> You don't need to grind meat for chili. I've cubed both pork shoulder
>>> and beef sirloin tip, or inside round or some such, and it turned out
>>> really good.

>> Not using ground meat seems to be the way to make real chili to me. I
>> make it with about half a cup of Korean chili pepper powder. It gets
>> pretty intense in color and flavor.

> What's the difference between regular chili powder and the Korean
> variant?Â* I can't say that I've ever heard of it.

The Korean chili is more granular and also a bit more mellow.

https://www.makesauerkraut.com/wp-co...i-powder-2.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.idiots,alt.fan.karl-malden.nose

On 6/4/2021 9:39 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/3/2021 3:50 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:15:39 -0600, US >
>> wrote:

>>> There are many, many recipes (of all kinds) for vegetarian chili on
>>> the Internet.

>> Ok, that's the end of RFC. It's all on the Internet already.
>>

> Agreed... I'd much rather read posts of people sharing ideas about FOOD,
> as opposed to more "they're here" or Kuthe garbage.Â* Otherwise, why is
> anyone here?
>
> Then again, I suppose another purpose of Usenet is to harass others... lol

Let's see if we can make that happen for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 5:39:06 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/3/2021 3:50 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:15:39 -0600, US >
> > wrote:

> >> There are many, many recipes (of all kinds) for vegetarian chili on
> >> the Internet.

> > Ok, that's the end of RFC. It's all on the Internet already.
> >

> Agreed... I'd much rather read posts of people sharing ideas about FOOD,
> as opposed to more "they're here" or Kuthe garbage. Otherwise, why is
> anyone here?
>
> Then again, I suppose another purpose of Usenet is to harass others... lol

Usenet is filled with hate, misery, and jealousy. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2021 11:16 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> Korean chili pepper powder just contains chili pepper. It comes in a fine grind or an even finer grind.

Uh no, it comes in a coarse grind ftmp:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/15239...-1/s-l1000.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2021 11:55 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 5:39:06 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 6/3/2021 3:50 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Ok, that's the end of RFC. It's all on the Internet already.
>>>

>> Agreed... I'd much rather read posts of people sharing ideas about FOOD,
>> as opposed to more "they're here" or Kuthe garbage. Otherwise, why is
>> anyone here?
>>
>> Then again, I suppose another purpose of Usenet is to harass others... lol

> Usenet is filled with hate, misery, and jealousy. That's the breaks.

That's one of the 3 J's...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 8:01:09 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
> On 6/4/2021 11:16 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > Korean chili pepper powder just contains chili pepper. It comes in a fine grind or an even finer grind.

> Uh no, it comes in a coarse grind ftmp:
>
> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/15239...-1/s-l1000.jpg

It does come in a coarse grind and a fine grind. I just consider the coarse grind to be fine too. I suppose I'm just confusing the issue but you're right - when you buy it, it comes in coarse and fine. The coarse grind is for making kim chee and the fine grind is for making chili or weird looking reddish meatloaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 11:39:06 -0400, Michael Trew wrote:

> Then again, I suppose another purpose of Usenet is to harass others...

As one Michael (offically) to another:

Usenet is the last vestige of another time. The social norms that have
evolved into it could never have been predicted nor even be reported on
current 'fake' news lest it would be seen as self-fulfilling prophecy.

To wit, this, the melodious self-assured hinting of narcissistic style
coupled with fatalistic overtones only possible by someone who has 'done
the time'.

Compare this to new three, two & one (I kid you not) acronyms on youths
enthralled with thumb-texting phone apps.

Sometimes, the gangstalkee has actually asked for a clever comeback in
the guise of a deftly-worded riposte.

But more often, especially in the case of bone-headed trolls that only
have a few seconds so they can jump in on every thread, something said in
such *invited* jest is either misinterpreted as disrespect, or, for the
trolls, maliciously decried as so just to humiliate the author. It's easy
afterwards to just say 'I was kidding', &c.

To finish off vaguely on topic for food, my wife & I have started to have
vague ideas of moving at some time in the future. I am currently
beginning the planning phase by slowly drinking my liquor cabinet empty.
I started with the re-bottled stuff that came in bottles to high for the
cabinet; currently I'm on Galliano.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-04 2:38 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:

> To finish off vaguely on topic for food, my wife & I have started to have
> vague ideas of moving at some time in the future. I am currently
> beginning the planning phase by slowly drinking my liquor cabinet empty.
> I started with the re-bottled stuff that came in bottles to high for the
> cabinet; currently I'm on Galliano.

My gawd I have not heard mention of stuff since the 70s, the days of
disco Harvey Wallbangers and Freddy Fudpuckers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 11:36:04 -0400, Michael Trew >
wrote:

>On 6/3/2021 11:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> Not using ground meat seems to be the way to make real chili to me.
>> I make it with about half a cup of Korean chili pepper powder. It gets
>> pretty intense in color and flavor.

>What's the difference between regular chili powder and the Korean
>variant? I can't say that I've ever heard of it.

Korean chili powder is Asian. That's very speshial. Asian. Speshial.

--
Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2021 12:29 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 8:01:09 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>> On 6/4/2021 11:16 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> Korean chili pepper powder just contains chili pepper. It comes in a fine grind or an even finer grind.

>> Uh no, it comes in a coarse grind ftmp:
>>
>> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/15239...-1/s-l1000.jpg

> It does come in a coarse grind and a fine grind.

Really?

Huh, I only found coarse. That must be the top seller.

>I just consider the coarse grind to be fine too. I suppose I'm just confusing the issue but you're right - when you buy it, it comes in

> coarse and fine. The coarse grind is for making kim chee and the fine grind is for making chili or weird looking reddish meatloaf.

So the coarse grind is actually sort of crystalline looking to me, not
to further confuse things!

What I do notice is that Korean pepper is almost always less hot tasting
than other chili powders. I use it in dishes one might not expect, like
shrimp scampi - it totally works there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 11:39:06 -0400, Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> Then again, I suppose another purpose of Usenet is to harass others...

> As one Michael (offically) to another:
>
> Usenet is the last vestige of another time. The social norms that have
> evolved into it could never have been predicted nor even be reported on
> current 'fake' news lest it would be seen as self-fulfilling prophecy.
>
> To wit, this, the melodious self-assured hinting of narcissistic style
> coupled with fatalistic overtones only possible by someone who has 'done
> the time'.
>
> Compare this to new three, two & one (I kid you not) acronyms on youths
> enthralled with thumb-texting phone apps.
>

> Sometimes, the gangstalkee has actually asked for a clever comeback in
> the guise of a deftly-worded riposte.
>
> But more often, especially in the case of bone-headed trolls that only
> have a few seconds so they can jump in on every thread, something said in
> such *invited* jest is either misinterpreted as disrespect, or, for the
> trolls, maliciously decried as so just to humiliate the author. It's easy
> afterwards to just say 'I was kidding', &c.
>

> To finish off vaguely on topic for food, my wife & I have started to have
> vague ideas of moving at some time in the future. I am currently
> beginning the planning phase by slowly drinking my liquor cabinet empty.
> I started with the re-bottled stuff that came in bottles to high for the
> cabinet; currently I'm on Galliano.

I can't wait till yoose gets down to the crystal palace jugs!

Lookout wimmens !!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 1:38:51 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:

> To finish off vaguely on topic for food, my wife & I have started to have
> vague ideas of moving at some time in the future.

My wife and I have definite plans to get out of StL as soon as we can
retire. July and August are stupid hot, and November through March
is cold. What'd be nice would be Puerto Rico November through
March, and Georgia April through October, and I mean the Tbilisi
Georgia, rather than the Atlanta one.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2021 1:29 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 11:36:04 -0400, Michael Trew >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/3/2021 11:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Not using ground meat seems to be the way to make real chili to me.
>>> I make it with about half a cup of Korean chili pepper powder. It gets
>>> pretty intense in color and flavor.

>> What's the difference between regular chili powder and the Korean
>> variant? I can't say that I've ever heard of it.

> Korean chili powder is Asian. That's very speshial. Asian. Speshial.

It's tastier than regular chili powder by far.
Posted to rec.food.cooking