Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chili sans-carne

https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...Chili-Rice.jpg
> > I've never heard of a pineapple boat. Though I've been to the Dole
> > Cannery movie theater. Nice place. That was back in the early
> > 2000's.

> The pineapple boat was popular back in the 60's. The last time we had
> one was back in the early 70's. These days, you won't find them
> because nobody wants to go through the hassle of making one. I'll
> have to make one for our next party. It'll probably cause a boatload
> of giggling.

https://bullocksbuzz.com/wp-content/...-boat.jpg.webp

LOL, I LIKE Hawaiian chili. The only chili I don't like is when it is
so infused with a miasma of male testosterone 'I can handle hotter than
you' that is has no actual flavor, just searing heat you have to
pretend to 'like'.

Give me the actual flavor of a simple Hawaiian with rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 17:12:38 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Michael Trew wrote:

>> > I saw that later. Agree. Unless you live in Texas and think Chili
>> > can only be made 'one way', there's a lot of room.
>> >
>> > I sometimes make a 'white chili' with white beans, white pepper,
>> > Anaheim or Banana peppers, mushrooms, and if I can find them,
>> > crawfish tails.

>> Texans are too serious about their chili. I won't knock it, but it's
>> not chili to me without beans.
>>
>> White chili sounds interesting, I think I'd like to try that at some
>> point. Maybe with shrimp.

>Yes, Texans can be very silly about it. But in San Antonion TX, they
>had a big annual chili cookoff. My modest entry in the 'Alternative
>Chilis' won. (They do indeed have an alternative version allowance).
>
>The Navy guys with me had a main entry and it got 3rd place of some 200
>entries. Mine was in the Alternative, and the white chili and got 2nd
>place of 50 entries so not bad. Next year, we won 1st place both sets.
>My alternative was 'Smokey Mountain Southern Chili'. Card carefully
>explained these were the folks who stayed at the Smokey Mountain pass
>and never went on to Texas... I think it won on shock value. A gamble
>as it had cauliflower, green beans, radishes and was mild (but some
>heat). Peppers were not deseeded but Banana and Anaheim used.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 17:22:13 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:

>https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...Chili-Rice.jpg
>> > I've never heard of a pineapple boat. Though I've been to the Dole
>> > Cannery movie theater. Nice place. That was back in the early
>> > 2000's.

>> The pineapple boat was popular back in the 60's. The last time we had
>> one was back in the early 70's. These days, you won't find them
>> because nobody wants to go through the hassle of making one. I'll
>> have to make one for our next party. It'll probably cause a boatload
>> of giggling.
>>

>https://bullocksbuzz.com/wp-content/...-boat.jpg.webp
>
>LOL, I LIKE Hawaiian chili. The only chili I don't like is when it is
>so infused with a miasma of male testosterone 'I can handle hotter than
>you' that is has no actual flavor, just searing heat you have to
>pretend to 'like'.
>
>Give me the actual flavor of a simple Hawaiian with rice.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean Soup (WAS: Chili sans-carne)

Michael Trew wrote:

> On 6/4/2021 8:36 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > Not chili and not "vegetarian", although you could make it so. I
> > > make a nice spicy bean soup using black beans, red kidney,
> > > garbanzos, great northern, navy, pinto and cut green beans. If
> > > you want it to be vegetarian use vegetable stock/broth rather
> > > than beef. Can't guarantee how good it will taste if you use
> > > just water or vegetable "stock".
> > >
> > > I do sautee the onion and garlic in butter/oil. This quick fix
> > > soup uses canned versions of all the beans. One can of each type
> > > of bean, e water and stock to cover. Add all the herbs and
> > > spicse. Simmer on low heat for about 2 hours.nd the
> > >
> > > You could add canned crushed tomatoes at some point if you like.
> > >
> > > This bean soup is nicely spiced, seasoned with ground chili
> > > seasoning, 1 tps. gruond thyme. A little ground ancho pepper and
> > > a Tbs. of liquid Tabasco or some other hot sauce.
> > >
> > > I thicken the soup with 1/4 cup of pearled barley added in the
> > > last 20 minutes of cooking. The soup is quite nicely spiced and
> > > filling. I nearly always bake a skillet of cornbread to go with
> > > it. If I'm feeling adventurous, cornmeal griddle cakes cooked on
> > > the stove top to go with.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > BTW,

> > I don't see beef stock in there. I see it only as a comment from
> > another? I must be odd. I've never used stock in any chili. Just
> > canned tomatoes.

> I believe that she meant the stock for the bean soup. I've never
> used stock in chili either.

Humm, I've never used stock for making beans either. Guess that's why
I didn't get that one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 17:25:23 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>Michael Trew wrote:

>> > BTW,

>> > I don't see beef stock in there. I see it only as a comment from
>> > another? I must be odd. I've never used stock in any chili. Just
>> > canned tomatoes.

>> I believe that she meant the stock for the bean soup. I've never
>> used stock in chili either.

>Humm, I've never used stock for making beans either. Guess that's why
>I didn't get that one.

'HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM' LOL..........

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 12:22:23 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...Chili-Rice.jpg
> > > I've never heard of a pineapple boat. Though I've been to the Dole
> > > Cannery movie theater. Nice place. That was back in the early
> > > 2000's.

> > The pineapple boat was popular back in the 60's. The last time we had
> > one was back in the early 70's. These days, you won't find them
> > because nobody wants to go through the hassle of making one. I'll
> > have to make one for our next party. It'll probably cause a boatload
> > of giggling.
> >

> https://bullocksbuzz.com/wp-content/...-boat.jpg.webp
> LOL, I LIKE Hawaiian chili. The only chili I don't like is when it is
> so infused with a miasma of male testosterone 'I can handle hotter than
> you' that is has no actual flavor, just searing heat you have to
> pretend to 'like'.
>
> Give me the actual flavor of a simple Hawaiian with rice.

Texans and Mexicans might not care for Hawaiian style chili. The rest of the world might appreciate its mild and smooth taste. It achieves this with mild levels of seasonings, a little sugar, and its secret ingredient.
Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled turnips.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 1:31:32 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 12:22:23 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...Chili-Rice.jpg
> > >
> > > The pineapple boat was popular back in the 60's. The last time we had
> > > one was back in the early 70's. These days, you won't find them
> > > because nobody wants to go through the hassle of making one. I'll
> > > have to make one for our next party. It'll probably cause a boatload
> > > of giggling.
> > >

> > https://bullocksbuzz.com/wp-content/...-boat.jpg.webp
> > LOL, I LIKE Hawaiian chili. The only chili I don't like is when it is
> > so infused with a miasma of male testosterone 'I can handle hotter than
> > you' that is has no actual flavor, just searing heat you have to
> > pretend to 'like'.
> >
> > Give me the actual flavor of a simple Hawaiian with rice.

> Texans and Mexicans might not care for Hawaiian style chili. The rest of the world might appreciate its mild and smooth taste. It achieves this with mild levels of seasonings, a little sugar, and its secret ingredient.
> Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled turnips.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7

Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 bruce bowser wrote:

>Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

NY produces great maple syrup too. Sugar maple trees produce
fantastic fall foilage, also great cabinet lumber. I have a few
growing here and I planted three more about ten years ago... too bad
that they grow so slowly, plant a sapling today and you may have a
small tree in twenty years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 bruce bowser wrote:
>>
>> Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

> NY produces great maple syrup too. Sugar maple trees produce
> fantastic fall foilage, also great cabinet lumber. I have a few
> growing here and I planted three more about ten years ago... too bad
> that they grow so slowly, plant a sapling today and you may have a
> small tree in twenty years.

*Everything* in new york is the finest in the universe Popeye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 8:22:18 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 1:31:32 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled turnips.
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7

> Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

He's talking about House brand Vermont Curry, made in Japan for many years.

These little bricks of roux contain cheese, honey, apples (hence Vermont), and lots of sugar.

Japanese curry is weird, fascinating, and can be pretty tasty in its gently sweet way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 3:22:18 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 1:31:32 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...Chili-Rice.jpg

> > > https://bullocksbuzz.com/wp-content/...-boat.jpg.webp
> > > LOL, I LIKE Hawaiian chili. The only chili I don't like is when it is
> > > so infused with a miasma of male testosterone 'I can handle hotter than
> > > you' that is has no actual flavor, just searing heat you have to
> > > pretend to 'like'.
> > >
> > > Give me the actual flavor of a simple Hawaiian with rice.

> > Texans and Mexicans might not care for Hawaiian style chili. The rest of the world might appreciate its mild and smooth taste. It achieves this with mild levels of seasonings, a little sugar, and its secret ingredient.
> > Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled turnips.
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7

> Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

Vermont is certainly very far away. Vermont House Curry is very close by.

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...t?oid=27434116
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 1:01:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> Vermont is certainly very far away. Vermont House Curry is very close by.
>
> https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...t?oid=27434116

Besides House brand Vermont Curry bricks, there are many varieties of commercial Japanese curries, both brick and powder. Fun stuff.

If anyone is interested in more about Japanese curry bricks, Tejal Rao wrote a very nice NYT article a couple years ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/m...ks-recipe.html

She also published a recipe for homemade bricks, but you have to be a subscriber to view it.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...se-curry-brick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:03:28 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>
> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
> chili"?

I often make "chili beans" or "chili sin carne."

I add quite a bit of ground dried chile, usually from Pendery's in Fort Worth.

Acme, Concho, and El Rey are good starter chiles, but there are many more to try.

Some ground Korean chile often goes in too.

Only sometimes do I add tomatoes (usually 6-in-1 Ground Tomatoes).

Always cumin seed, sometimes toasted, sometimes freshly ground.

Dried Mexican oregano goes in toward the end.

I like mayacobas, cooked from dry, but pintos (even canned) are fine.

I probably shouldn't admit it, but occasionally I'll add some textured vegetable protein (Bob's Red Mill; simmered separately and drained). Adds some protein and texture without adding meat. This is the only thing I use the stuff for.

No matter how you make it, it's usually better the next day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 06:22:14 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 1:31:32 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

>> > https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...Chili-Rice.jpg

>> > https://bullocksbuzz.com/wp-content/...-boat.jpg.webp
>> > LOL, I LIKE Hawaiian chili. The only chili I don't like is when it is
>> > so infused with a miasma of male testosterone 'I can handle hotter than
>> > you' that is has no actual flavor, just searing heat you have to
>> > pretend to 'like'.
>> >
>> > Give me the actual flavor of a simple Hawaiian with rice.

>> Texans and Mexicans might not care for Hawaiian style chili. The rest of the world might appreciate its mild and smooth taste. It achieves this with mild levels of seasonings, a little sugar, and its secret ingredient.
>> Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled turnips.
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7

>Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2021 6:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:

>>> BTW,

>>> I don't see beef stock in there. I see it only as a comment from
>>> another? I must be odd. I've never used stock in any chili. Just
>>> canned tomatoes.

>> I believe that she meant the stock for the bean soup. I've never
>> used stock in chili either.

> Humm, I've never used stock for making beans either. Guess that's why
> I didn't get that one.

It's bean SOUP. I use beef stock. Even with the seasonings it would be
pretty darn bland made with just water.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 22:31:29 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 12:22:23 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>> https://www.zippys.com/wp-content/up...Chili-Rice.jpg
>> >
>> > The pineapple boat was popular back in the 60's. The last time we had
>> > one was back in the early 70's. These days, you won't find them
>> > because nobody wants to go through the hassle of making one. I'll
>> > have to make one for our next party. It'll probably cause a boatload
>> > of giggling.
>> >

>> https://bullocksbuzz.com/wp-content/...-boat.jpg.webp
>> LOL, I LIKE Hawaiian chili. The only chili I don't like is when it is
>> so infused with a miasma of male testosterone 'I can handle hotter than
>> you' that is has no actual flavor, just searing heat you have to
>> pretend to 'like'.
>>
>> Give me the actual flavor of a simple Hawaiian with rice.

>Texans and Mexicans might not care for Hawaiian style chili. The rest of the world might appreciate its mild and smooth taste. It achieves this with mild levels of seasonings, a little sugar, and its secret ingredient.
>Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled turnips.
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 11:01:50 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 3:22:18 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:

>> > Texans and Mexicans might not care for Hawaiian style chili. The rest of the world might appreciate its mild and smooth taste. It achieves this with mild levels of seasonings, a little sugar, and its secret ingredient.
>> > Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled turnips.
>> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7

>> Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

>Vermont is certainly very far away. Vermont House Curry is very close by.
>
>https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...t?oid=27434116

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 12:20:04 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 bruce bowser wrote:
>>>
>>> Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

>> NY produces great maple syrup too. Sugar maple trees produce
>> fantastic fall foilage, also great cabinet lumber. I have a few
>> growing here and I planted three more about ten years ago... too bad
>> that they grow so slowly, plant a sapling today and you may have a
>> small tree in twenty years.
>>

>*Everything* in new york is the finest in the universe Popeye.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 10:41:42 -0700 (PDT), odlayo >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 8:22:18 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 1:31:32 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>> > Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled turnips.
>> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7

>> Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

>He's talking about House brand Vermont Curry, made in Japan for many years.
>
>These little bricks of roux contain cheese, honey, apples (hence Vermont), and lots of sugar.
>
>Japanese curry is weird, fascinating, and can be pretty tasty in its gently sweet way.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 11:17:22 -0700 (PDT), odlayo >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 1:01:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> Vermont is certainly very far away. Vermont House Curry is very close by.
>>
>> https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...t?oid=27434116

>Besides House brand Vermont Curry bricks, there are many varieties of commercial Japanese curries, both brick and powder. Fun stuff.
>
>If anyone is interested in more about Japanese curry bricks, Tejal Rao wrote a very nice NYT article a couple years ago.
>
>https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/m...ks-recipe.html
>
>She also published a recipe for homemade bricks, but you have to be a subscriber to view it.
>
>https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...se-curry-brick

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 11:04:23 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 bruce bowser wrote:
>>
>>Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

>NY produces great maple syrup too. Sugar maple trees produce
>fantastic fall foilage, also great cabinet lumber. I have a few
>growing here and I planted three more about ten years ago... too bad
>that they grow so slowly, plant a sapling today and you may have a
>small tree in twenty years.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 11:26:20 -0700 (PDT), odlayo >
wrote:

>On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:03:28 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I made my typically chili con carne from my pre-war Better Homes/Gardens
>> cook book, but I decided to nix half of the cost of the dish and make it
>> without ground beef this time; vegetarian if you will. Substituted
>> butter/olive oil for the fat and started off frying garlic/onions, then
>> adding crushed tomatoes, green pepper and seasoning; finally lots of
>> kidney/pinto/black beans.
>>
>> Honestly, I didn't feel that it was missing much of anything without the
>> ground beef... it maybe halved the cost, which was a nice bonus. Other
>> than adding a lot of beans, does anyone have useful tips on "vegetarian
>> chili"?

>I often make "chili beans" or "chili sin carne."
>
>I add quite a bit of ground dried chile, usually from Pendery's in Fort Worth.
>
>Acme, Concho, and El Rey are good starter chiles, but there are many more to try.
>
>Some ground Korean chile often goes in too.
>
>Only sometimes do I add tomatoes (usually 6-in-1 Ground Tomatoes).
>
>Always cumin seed, sometimes toasted, sometimes freshly ground.
>
>Dried Mexican oregano goes in toward the end.
>
>I like mayacobas, cooked from dry, but pintos (even canned) are fine.
>
>I probably shouldn't admit it, but occasionally I'll add some textured vegetable protein (Bob's Red Mill; simmered separately and drained). Adds some protein and texture without adding meat. This is the only thing I use the stuff for.
>
>No matter how you make it, it's usually better the next day.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 17:14:19 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/7/2021 6:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Michael Trew wrote:

>>> I believe that she meant the stock for the bean soup. I've never
>>> used stock in chili either.

>> Humm, I've never used stock for making beans either. Guess that's why
>> I didn't get that one.
>>

>It's bean SOUP. I use beef stock. Even with the seasonings it would be
>pretty darn bland made with just water.
>
>Jill

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 12:22:23 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > LOL, I LIKE Hawaiian chili. The only chili I don't like is when it
> > is so infused with a miasma of male testosterone 'I can handle
> > hotter than you' that is has no actual flavor, just searing heat
> > you have to pretend to 'like'.
> >
> > Give me the actual flavor of a simple Hawaiian with rice.

> Texans and Mexicans might not care for Hawaiian style chili. The rest
> of the world might appreciate its mild and smooth taste. It achieves
> this with mild levels of seasonings, a little sugar, and its secret
> ingredient. Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled
> turnips. https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7

Major love for the curry! I tend to a rogan josh but like theirs too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 bruce bowser wrote:
> >
> > Vermont is a ways away from Hawai'i last time I checked, but I
> > hear they are great for syrup. So is New Hampshire.

> NY produces great maple syrup too. Sugar maple trees produce
> fantastic fall foilage, also great cabinet lumber. I have a few
> growing here and I planted three more about ten years ago... too bad
> that they grow so slowly, plant a sapling today and you may have a
> small tree in twenty years.

Totally missed the beat there. It was a curry, that has a 'Vermont'
name on it. No relation to maple syrup at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 6/7/2021 6:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Michael Trew wrote:

> > > I believe that she meant the stock for the bean soup. I've never
> > > used stock in chili either.

> > Humm, I've never used stock for making beans either. Guess that's
> > why I didn't get that one.
> >

> It's bean SOUP. I use beef stock. Even with the seasonings it would
> be pretty darn bland made with just water.
>
> Jill

Sorry, mine isn't bland and doesn't use stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Indeed, I witnessed some Texans ordering chili in Hawaii. It wasn't a pretty sight. It was a couple dressed like Roy and Dale in their cleanest, fanciest, duds. Beats me what the deal was with the outfits. Maybe the circus was in town or maybe the road cast of OKLAHOMA! was looking to get a bite after a performance. The dude put
up a big fuss over that small bowl of chili. There was beans and hamburger in it! The worst part for a Texan would be that it's served with rice. Holy shit man! Call the posse! The poor waitress was there all alone trying to explain what the guy was seeing before him. That was like a guy trying to explain calculus to an anteater.
>The joint was a coffee house that my wife and I would go to late Saturday nights. We'd order pancakes and a pineapple boat. My recommendation to Texans is they should never order chili in Hawaii - just stick with pancakes and pineapple boats.

As a Caribbean Hispanic, I proudly assert that rice goes with absolutely everything, including chili.
--
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 20:13:51 -0500, "cshenk"
> wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 12:22:23 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> > dsi1 wrote:
>> >
>> > LOL, I LIKE Hawaiian chili. The only chili I don't like is when it
>> > is so infused with a miasma of male testosterone 'I can handle
>> > hotter than you' that is has no actual flavor, just searing heat
>> > you have to pretend to 'like'.
>> >
>> > Give me the actual flavor of a simple Hawaiian with rice.

>> Texans and Mexicans might not care for Hawaiian style chili. The rest
>> of the world might appreciate its mild and smooth taste. It achieves
>> this with mild levels of seasonings, a little sugar, and its secret
>> ingredient. Dinner tonight was Vermont House curry with some pickled
>> turnips. https://photos.app.goo.gl/9CBNY5gWRUV15yQq7

>Major love for the curry! I tend to a rogan josh but like theirs too.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 01:42:49 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> wrote:

>>Indeed, I witnessed some Texans ordering chili in Hawaii. It wasn't a pretty sight. It was a couple dressed like Roy and Dale in their cleanest, fanciest, duds. Beats me what the deal was with the outfits. Maybe the circus was in town or maybe the road cast of OKLAHOMA! was looking to get a bite after a performance. The dude put

>up a big fuss over that small bowl of chili. There was beans and hamburger in it! The worst part for a Texan would be that it's served with rice. Holy shit man! Call the posse! The poor waitress was there all alone trying to explain what the guy was seeing before him. That was like a guy trying to explain calculus to an anteater.
>>The joint was a coffee house that my wife and I would go to late Saturday nights. We'd order pancakes and a pineapple boat. My recommendation to Texans is they should never order chili in Hawaii - just stick with pancakes and pineapple boats.

>As a Caribbean Hispanic, I proudly assert that rice goes with absolutely everything, including chili.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 01:42:49 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> wrote:

>>Indeed, I witnessed some Texans ordering chili in Hawaii. It wasn't a pretty sight. It was a couple dressed like Roy and Dale in their cleanest, fanciest, duds. Beats me what the deal was with the outfits. Maybe the circus was in town or maybe the road cast of OKLAHOMA! was looking to get a bite after a performance. The dude put

>up a big fuss over that small bowl of chili. There was beans and hamburger in it! The worst part for a Texan would be that it's served with rice. Holy shit man! Call the posse! The poor waitress was there all alone trying to explain what the guy was seeing before him. That was like a guy trying to explain calculus to an anteater.
>>The joint was a coffee house that my wife and I would go to late Saturday nights. We'd order pancakes and a pineapple boat. My recommendation to Texans is they should never order chili in Hawaii - just stick with pancakes and pineapple boats.

>As a Caribbean Hispanic, I proudly assert that rice goes with absolutely everything, including chili.

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 01:42:49 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

(From your sig) : Ph D in music theory.

So why have we 'evolved' such a complicated language of music notation?

Even with modern tools to unambiguously put a note on the line or in a
space (vs. sometimes accidentally touching a line), there are still
multiple 'clefs', and the hideous clutter of octothorpes & half-spades on
*every* line to denote the key.

It would probably be easier for a novice to make sense of a midi stream
which has been piped into almost any UTF-8 character set.

Also, are you aware of any serious attempt / intent on anyone's part to
carry the scale resolution to the next level in the Fibonacci sequence?

The trivial case required to define the Fibbonacci sequence as it applies
to musical scales is 1 note per octave, i.e. a piano with only the 'C'
keys.

The next case is a piano with two keys per octave, 'G' and 'C'. G is at a
frequency 3/2 times the 'C' below it; or 2/3 the C above it.

The next case is 3 keys per octave. C, G, & E to incorporate sub-
multiples of 5 ('fifths').

The next case is the 5 tone 'pentatonic' system used by oriental music.

The next is the 8 tone (white) keys of Western Music.

The next is the 13 tone (black + white keys) of western music.

Is there any serious work being done on a the next level? (21 keys)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 12:42:55 AM UTC-5, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

> As a Caribbean Hispanic, I proudly assert that rice goes with absolutely everything, including chili.
> --
> Orlando Enrique Fiol

In your corner of the world, maybe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 7:42:55 PM UTC-10, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> As a Caribbean Hispanic, I proudly assert that rice goes with absolutely everything, including chili.
> --
> Orlando Enrique Fiol
> Charlotte, North Carolina
> Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist and Pedagogue
> Ph.D. in Music theory
> University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018

I have to agree with you on that one. My wife, a white lady raised by a Korean woman is certainly crazy about rice. I suppose that makes her easy to feed. Just give her some rice and a "rice thief" and some kim chee. Yesterday, we had pastele stew and some pot roast so check and check. Pastele stew is a pastele made as a stew. Pretty awesome, eh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:58:02 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 12:42:55 AM UTC-5, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
>>
>> As a Caribbean Hispanic, I proudly assert that rice goes with absolutely everything, including chili.
>> --
>> Orlando Enrique Fiol
>>

>In your corner of the world, maybe.

Agreed, we eat very little rice... I think people convince themselves
that rice is good because it's dirt cheap and they are cheapo
*******s. Rice has no food value unless one wants to get scurvy.
There are many more nutritious grains... other than carbs rice
contains zero nutrition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 2:00:43 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:58:02 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 12:42:55 AM UTC-5, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
> >>
> >> As a Caribbean Hispanic, I proudly assert that rice goes with absolutely everything, including chili.
> >> --
> >> Orlando Enrique Fiol
> >>

> >In your corner of the world, maybe.

> Agreed, we eat very little rice... I think people convince themselves
> that rice is good because it's dirt cheap and they are cheapo
> *******s. Rice has no food value unless one wants to get scurvy.
> There are many more nutritious grains... other than carbs rice
> contains zero nutrition.

I like the taste. A little rice once in a while won't hurt me.

It's not always about the food value, or you wouldn't drink Crystal Palace,
which has no nutritive value.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 01:42:49 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol
> wrote:

>>Indeed, I witnessed some Texans ordering chili in Hawaii. It wasn't a pretty sight. It was a couple dressed like Roy and Dale in their cleanest, fanciest, duds. Beats me what the deal was with the outfits. Maybe the circus was in town or maybe the road cast of OKLAHOMA! was looking to get a bite after a performance. The dude put

>up a big fuss over that small bowl of chili. There was beans and hamburger in it! The worst part for a Texan would be that it's served with rice. Holy shit man! Call the posse! The poor waitress was there all alone trying to explain what the guy was seeing before him. That was like a guy trying to explain calculus to an anteater.
>>The joint was a coffee house that my wife and I would go to late Saturday nights. We'd order pancakes and a pineapple boat. My recommendation to Texans is they should never order chili in Hawaii - just stick with pancakes and pineapple boats.

>As a Caribbean Hispanic, I proudly assert that rice goes with absolutely everything, including chili.

I agree. Not that I'm proud of that, but I do.

--
Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 14:00:36 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:58:02 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 12:42:55 AM UTC-5, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
>>>
>>> As a Caribbean Hispanic, I proudly assert that rice goes with absolutely everything, including chili.
>>> --
>>> Orlando Enrique Fiol
>>>

>>In your corner of the world, maybe.

>Agreed, we eat very little rice... I think people convince themselves
>that rice is good because it's dirt cheap and they are cheapo
>*******s. Rice has no food value unless one wants to get scurvy.
>There are many more nutritious grains... other than carbs rice
>contains zero nutrition.

You're too old for rice. Culturally you're from 1875. You're a potato
eater.

--
Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 2:00:43 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:58:02 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:

> > >In your corner of the world, maybe.

> > Agreed, we eat very little rice... I think people convince themselves
> > that rice is good because it's dirt cheap and they are cheapo
> > *******s. Rice has no food value unless one wants to get scurvy.
> > There are many more nutritious grains... other than carbs rice
> > contains zero nutrition.

> I like the taste. A little rice once in a while won't hurt me.
>
> It's not always about the food value, or you wouldn't drink Crystal Palace,
> which has no nutritive value.

I eschew white rice, I'll only eat brown...white rice is tasteless to me...

And ya make vodka have nutritive value by adding things like lemon, lime, V8, etc....a good Bloody Mary is a veritable Feast 'o Good Nutrition...!!!

;-)

--
GM