Joelle

Default Pumpkin pie with Evaporated or Condensed Milk

I've always made pie with evaporated milk but I see the condensed milk has a
recipe for pumpkin pie - with no added sugar. Is there any difference in the
taste?

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle
Rick & Cyndi

"Joelle" > wrote in message
> I've always made pie with evaporated milk but I see the condensed milk
> has a
> recipe for pumpkin pie - with no added sugar. Is there any difference in
> the
> taste?
>
> Joelle
> The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
> Augustine
> Joelle

================

I've ALWAYS made mine with condensed milk (but also add 1/4 cup sugar) and
the only difference I've noticed is that the pies made with condensed milk
(as in sweetened condensed) seem richer. YMMV but it's definitely my
preference!!

Cyndi

Levelwave©

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

> I've ALWAYS made mine with condensed milk (but also add 1/4 cup sugar) and
> the only difference I've noticed is that the pies made with condensed milk
> (as in sweetened condensed) seem richer. YMMV but it's definitely my
> preference!!

Heavy Cream!!!

~john
rosie readandpost

heavy cream is the "milk" of choice in this house!
(for all my recipes)

--

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!

"Levelwave©" > wrote in message
: Rick & Cyndi wrote:
:
: > I've ALWAYS made mine with condensed milk (but also add 1/4 cup
sugar) and
: > the only difference I've noticed is that the pies made with
condensed milk
: > (as in sweetened condensed) seem richer. YMMV but it's
definitely my
: > preference!!
:
:
: Heavy Cream!!!
:
: ~john

Ida Slapter

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:38:02 GMT, " rosie readandpost"
> wrote:

>heavy cream is the "milk" of choice in this house!
>(for all my recipes)

.....at our house....butter is a seasoning and gravy is a
beverage.....(quoted from Miss Richfield 1981)

Made this yesterday....and it was great!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie

1 pastry dough; 9 inch pie pan
1 1/2 c sour cream; not reduced fat
1 1/2 c pumpkin, sold pack; canned
3 lg eggs; separated
1 c brown sugar
3/4 ts cinnamon
1/4 ts nutmeg; freshly grated
1/4 ts ground ginger
1/4 ts salt

Roll out pastry dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly
floured
rolling pin into a 13-inch round and fit into a 9 inch glass or metal
pie
plate. Trim excess dough, leaving a 1/2 inch overhang, then fold
overhand
under pastry and press against rim of pie plate to reinforce edge.
Decoratively crimp edge and chill shell until firm about 30 minutes.

While shell chills, put oven rack into middle position and preheat
oven to
375F.

Lightly prick bottom and side of chilled pie shell all over with a
fork.
Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake until pastry is
pale
golden along rim and set underneath weights, about 20 minutes.
Carefully
remove foil and weights and bake shell until bottom and side of pastry
are
pale golden, about 10 minutes more. Cool completely in pie place on a
rack,
about 20 minutes. Leave oven on.

Make Filling: Heat 1 cup sour cream in a double boiler or a large
metal
bowl set over a large wide pot of boiling water until warm, stirring
occasionally.

Whisk together pumpkin, yolks, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger,
salt
and remaining 1/2 cup sour cream. Cook over simmering water, stirring
constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened and registers 170F. on
thermometer, about 6 minutes. Remove from head and cool pumpkin
mixture in
bowl set in a larger bowl of ice water, stirring occasionally, about
15
minutes.

Beat egg whites in another bowl with a electric mixer until they just
hold
stiff peaks. Fold whites into pumpkin mixture gently but thoroughly.

Pour filling into cooled, shell, smoothing top, and bake until filling
is
set and puffed around edge, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool pie to room
temperature
on a rack, about 2 hours.

Pie can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Serve chilled or at
room
temperature with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

Contributor: GOURMET November, 2004 pg. 246

Yield: 8 servings

Ida Slapter

> [...]

thermometer, about 6 minutes. Remove from head and cool pumpkin
mixture in
bowl set in a larger bowl of ice water, stirring occasionally, about
15
minutes.

Beat egg whites in another bowl with a electric mixer until they just
hold
stiff peaks. Fold whites into pumpkin mixture gently but thoroughly.

Pour filling into cooled, shell, smoothing top, and bake until filling
is
set and puffed around edge, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool pie to room
temperature
on a rack, about 2 hours.

Pie can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Serve chilled or at
room
temperature with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

Contributor: GOURMET November, 2004 pg. 246

Matt

"Joelle" > wrote in message
> I've always made pie with evaporated milk but I see the condensed milk

has a
> recipe for pumpkin pie - with no added sugar. Is there any difference in

the
> taste?

There are differences. It's fun to vary your pumpkin pie recipe. I've made
it with condensed milk, evaporated milk, heavy cream and combinations of the
three. I really like my pumpkin pie with some blackstrap molasses added. I
couldn't give you a recipe, I always just eyeball the combination of fluids
and sugars to the consistency that I feel matches the evaporated milk/sugar
combination of the base recipe. I've tried whipping the cream and folding
it into the other pie ingredients. That didn't make much difference. It
just cooks down anyway. Pumpkin pie is always an experiment for me. I wish
I had written down what I did for some of the really good ones, though.

-Matt

Matt

"Joelle" > wrote in message
> I've always made pie with evaporated milk but I see the condensed milk

has a
> recipe for pumpkin pie - with no added sugar. Is there any difference in

the
> taste?

There are differences. It's fun to vary your pumpkin pie recipe. I've made
it with condensed milk, evaporated milk, heavy cream and combinations of the
three. I really like my pumpkin pie with some blackstrap molasses added. I
couldn't give you a recipe, I always just eyeball the combination of fluids
and sugars to the consistency that I feel matches the evaporated milk/sugar
combination of the base recipe. I've tried whipping the cream and folding
it into the other pie ingredients. That didn't make much difference. It
just cooks down anyway. Pumpkin pie is always an experiment for me. I wish
I had written down what I did for some of the really good ones, though.

-Matt

Joelle

Well I tried it with the condensed milk. Also put a little apricot brandy in
it.

Then while it was baking I realized I left out the eggs. Duh.

I didn't think it was too bad, had my daughter try it and told her I'd make
another one with eggs if she didn't like it. She thought it was fine.