Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pumpkin pie with condensed milk

I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
pie. The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. I plan on
following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. Has anyone
ever tried it?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 7:46*pm, Tara > wrote:
> I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
> pie. *The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
> instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. * I plan on
> following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
> reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. * *Has anyone
> ever tried it?

Canned pumpkin, canned milk, I'd bet a dollar to a dime that there's a
frozen case piecrust involved too. It's goshdarned Thanksgiving.
It's not just a holiday, but the one where food is most front and
center. Don't you take any pride in your cooking?

> Tara

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
> pie. The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
> instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. I plan on
> following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
> reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. Has anyone
> ever tried it?
>
> Tara

I haven't tried it, but I think it would be a bit too sweet for my
tastes. A can of Borden / Eagle sweetened condensed milk indicates it
contains 230g of sugars (23g x 10 servings), the 3/4c of sugar the
Libby's recipe calls for weighs 140g, so it would seem the other recipe
has a good deal more sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
> pie. The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
> instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. I plan on
> following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
> reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. Has anyone
> ever tried it?
>
> Tara

I've tried it. Tastes like pumpkin pie. It does simplify the recipe. You
can whip up a pie fairly easily and quickly using condensed milk and a
frozen pie shell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 8:46*pm, Tara > wrote:
> I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
> pie. *The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
> instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. * I plan on
> following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
> reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. * *Has anyone
> ever tried it?
>
> Tara

I bet the evaporated milk has a recipe on it. At least I think _some_
evaporated milk does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
>I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
> pie. The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
> instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. I plan on
> following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
> reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. Has anyone
> ever tried it?
>
> Tara

I've never tried the condensed milk. I always substitute half and half for
the evap though.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote in message
The truth is, the best pumpkin pie you ever ate probably wasn't that
much better than the worst pumpkin pie you ever ate. It's hard to
screw up pumpkin pie . . . or cranberry sauce!
Lynn in Fargo ;-)

You never ate my great grandmother's pumpkin pie. Trust me, you can screw
up a pumpkin pie. She didn't like pumpkin pie spice but without it the pie
wasn't the right color so she put baking soda in it to turn it dark. Took
me years to try pumpkin pie again after hers.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:
> On Nov 23, 7:46 pm, Tara > wrote:
>> I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
>> pie. The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
>> instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. I plan on
>> following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
>> reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. Has anyone
>> ever tried it?

> Canned pumpkin, canned milk, I'd bet a dollar to a dime that there's a
> frozen case piecrust involved too. It's goshdarned Thanksgiving.
> It's not just a holiday, but the one where food is most front and
> center. Don't you take any pride in your cooking?

There's nothing wrong with using canned pumpkin. Having made many
pumpkin pies, only two with cooked pumpkin and the rest with canned, I
can say that those made from cans went over better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> The truth is, the best pumpkin pie you ever ate probably wasn't that
> much better than the worst pumpkin pie you ever ate. It's hard to
> screw up pumpkin pie . . . or cranberry sauce!

True enough. It is pretty resilient to messing up. It might cook a
little faster or slower, but unless you really overdo one of the
ingredients they are likely to turn out no matter what. They may be a
little better or worse, but they are likely to still be good.... if you
like pumpkin pie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy > wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:02:27 -0500, Dave Smith >

>>There's nothing wrong with using canned pumpkin. Having made many
>>pumpkin pies, only two with cooked pumpkin and the rest with canned, I
>>can say that those made from cans went over better.

>Then you're obviously cooking for heathens.

I have no experience making pumpkin pies from fresh pumpkin,
but I can relate that the "zucca al forno" I've had in
Italian restaurants tastes far better than does the filling
of a typical pumpkin pie.

(Maybe it's leaving out the pumpkin pie spice that does it...)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:02:10 -0800 (PST), Food Snob®
> wrote:

>Canned pumpkin, canned milk, I'd bet a dollar to a dime that there's a
>frozen case piecrust involved too. It's goshdarned Thanksgiving.
>It's not just a holiday, but the one where food is most front and
>center. Don't you take any pride in your cooking?

Oh, come on Bryan. Stop being such an ass.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:09:08 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>The truth is, the best pumpkin pie you ever ate probably wasn't that
>much better than the worst pumpkin pie you ever ate. It's hard to
>screw up pumpkin pie . . . or cranberry sauce!
>Lynn in Fargo ;-)

I think you're absolutely right!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:46:23 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

>I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
>pie. The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
>instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. I plan on
>following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
>reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. Has anyone
>ever tried it?

Do you have a link for those who missed the pumpkin pie made with
condensed milk recipe? I've never heard of it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 12:58*am, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:02:10 -0800 (PST), Food Snob®
>
> > wrote:
> >Canned pumpkin, canned milk, I'd bet a dollar to a dime that there's a
> >frozen case piecrust involved too. *It's goshdarned Thanksgiving.
> >It's not just a holiday, but the one where food is most front and
> >center. *Don't you take any pride in your cooking?

> Oh, come on Bryan. *Stop being such an ass.

But it's true. I remember my mother saying the following to me; if I
complained about an ingredient in something she was making she'd say
that once it was cooked in with everything else, "You won't even be
able to taste it." I don't ascribe to that, but instead go by the,
bad ingredients in, bad result out, rule. I may be being an ass, but
I'm right.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Lynn from Fargo wrote:

>> The truth is, the best pumpkin pie you ever ate probably wasn't that
>> much better than the worst pumpkin pie you ever ate. It's hard to
>> screw up pumpkin pie . . . or cranberry sauce!
>> Lynn in Fargo ;-)

> Unless you eat the divine pumpkin CHIFFON pie. For that matter,
> my favorite cranberry sauce is far better than the store-bought stuff.

Agreed on both counts. Pumpkin chiffon is the only pumpkin pie
I actually relish and homemade cranberry sauce is the only kind
I'll actually seek out for seconds.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob®" > wrote in message
> On Nov 24, 12:58 am, sf > wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:02:10 -0800 (PST), Food Snob®
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >Canned pumpkin, canned milk, I'd bet a dollar to a dime that there's a
>> >frozen case piecrust involved too. It's goshdarned Thanksgiving.
>> >It's not just a holiday, but the one where food is most front and
>> >center. Don't you take any pride in your cooking?

>> Oh, come on Bryan. Stop being such an ass.
>>

> But it's true. I remember my mother saying the following to me; if I
> complained about an ingredient in something she was making she'd say
> that once it was cooked in with everything else, "You won't even be
> able to taste it." I don't ascribe to that, but instead go by the,
> bad ingredients in, bad result out, rule. I may be being an ass, but
> I'm right.
>
> --Bryan

yep, you're right about being an ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:05:39 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:46:23 -0500, Tara >
>wrote:
>
>>I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
>>pie. The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
>>instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. I plan on
>>following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
>>reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. Has anyone
>>ever tried it?
>>

>Do you have a link for those who missed the pumpkin pie made with
>condensed milk recipe? I've never heard of it.

The condensed milk version is on the back of the pumpkin can. It's
basically the Libby's recipe -- pumpkin, egg, spices -- with a can of
condensed milk in place of the evaporated milk and sugar.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 8:46*pm, Tara > wrote:
> I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
> pie. *The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
> instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. * I plan on
> following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
> reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. * *Has anyone
> ever tried it?
>
> Tara

I can't help you with that, and I'm not going to holler at you for
using
canned milk, but I always use heavy cream. It isn't any more
difficult
than using evaporated milk, and the results are much better.

Here's my recipe:

http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/recipes/pumpkinpie.txt

Actually, I think it's Craig Claiborne's, and makes two pies (even
though I try to shoehorn it into one).

And the crust:

http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/recipes/tartcrust.txt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 8:43*am, "skeeter" > wrote:
> "Food Snob®" > wrote in message

> > On Nov 24, 12:58 am, sf > wrote:
> >> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:02:10 -0800 (PST), Food Snob®

> >> Oh, come on Bryan. *Stop being such an ass.

> > But it's true. *I remember my mother saying the following to me; if I
> > complained about an ingredient in something she was making she'd say
> > that once it was cooked in with everything else, "You won't even be
> > able to taste it." *I don't ascribe to that, but instead go by the,
> > bad ingredients in, bad result out, rule. *I may be being an ass, but
> > I'm right.

> > --Bryan

> yep, you're right about being an ass.

I'm also right about the crappy ingredients.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 9:06*am, Stu > wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 06:58:51 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® >
> wrote:
>
> -->On Nov 24, 8:43*am, "skeeter" > wrote:
> -->> "Food Snob®" > wrote in message
> -->>
> -->>
> -->>
> -->>
> -->>
> -->>
> -->> > On Nov 24, 12:58 am, sf > wrote:
> -->> >> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:02:10 -0800 (PST), Food Snob®
> -->>-->> >> > wrote:
>
> -->> >> >Canned pumpkin, canned milk, I'd bet a dollar to a dime that there's a
> -->> >> >frozen case piecrust involved too. *It's goshdarned Thanksgiving.
> -->> >> >It's not just a holiday, but the one where food is most front and
> -->> >> >center. *Don't you take any pride in your cooking?
> -->>
> -->> >> Oh, come on Bryan. *Stop being such an ass.
> -->>
> -->> > But it's true. *I remember my mother saying the following to me; if I
> -->> > complained about an ingredient in something she was making she'd say
> -->> > that once it was cooked in with everything else, "You won't even be
> -->> > able to taste it." *I don't ascribe to that, but instead go by the,
> -->> > bad ingredients in, bad result out, rule. *I may be being an ass, but
> -->> > I'm right.
> -->>
> -->> > --Bryan
> -->>
> -->> yep, you're right about being an ass.
> -->
> -->I'm also right about the crappy ingredients.
> -->
> -->--Bryan
>
> We'll make sure to point it out when your wrong, as you do to everyone else.

Please do, then I can change whatever is wrong, so I will no longer be
wrong.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 06:58:51 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® wrote:

> On Nov 24, 8:43*am, "skeeter" > wrote:

>>> But it's true. *I remember my mother saying the following to me; if I
>>> complained about an ingredient in something she was making she'd say
>>> that once it was cooked in with everything else, "You won't even be
>>> able to taste it." *I don't ascribe to that, but instead go by the,
>>> bad ingredients in, bad result out, rule. *I may be being an ass, but
>>> I'm right.

>>> --Bryan

>> yep, you're right about being an ass.

> I'm also right about the crappy ingredients.
>
> --Bryan

so in the unlikely event you're asked to sample tara's pie, don't eat it,
THROW IT IN HER FACE!!! that will teach her a valuable lesson.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Nov 23, 8:46 pm, Tara > wrote:
>> I bought a can of Kroger brand pumpkin for my Thanksgiving pumpkin
>> pie. The recipe on the back calls for a can of condensed milk, with
>> instructions for substituting evaporated milk and sugar. I plan on
>> following the evaporated milk plan, as that is how the Libby's recipe
>> reads, but I am interested in the condensed milk recipe. Has anyone
>> ever tried it?
>>
>> Tara

> I can't help you with that, and I'm not going to holler at you for
> using
> canned milk, but I always use heavy cream. It isn't any more
> difficult
> than using evaporated milk, and the results are much better.

That's the strange part about pumpkin pie - the use of canned milk. How
did that come about?

> Here's my recipe:
>
> http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/recipes/pumpkinpie.txt
>
> Actually, I think it's Craig Claiborne's, and makes two pies (even
> though I try to shoehorn it into one).
>
> And the crust:
>
> http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/recipes/tartcrust.txt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 1:00*pm, dsi1 > wrote:

> That's the strange part about pumpkin pie - the use of canned milk. How
> did that come about?

I'm not a food historian, but I imagine the reasons a

1. Relentless marketing by Carnation
2. Evap milk is lower in fat than cream (thus, healthier)
3. Evap milk is shelf-stable, so people get used to having it

Me, I'm spoiled rotten. I usually drink only fresh milk. I stopped
by
Panera Bakery last week and got milk and a muffin. The milk was
UHT pasteurized, and tasted cooked. It was nasty.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Nov 24, 1:00 pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> That's the strange part about pumpkin pie - the use of canned milk. How
>> did that come about?

> I'm not a food historian, but I imagine the reasons a
>
> 1. Relentless marketing by Carnation
> 2. Evap milk is lower in fat than cream (thus, healthier)
> 3. Evap milk is shelf-stable, so people get used to having it
>
> Me, I'm spoiled rotten. I usually drink only fresh milk. I stopped
> by
> Panera Bakery last week and got milk and a muffin. The milk was
> UHT pasteurized, and tasted cooked. It was nasty.

Mostly, I think is that someone was trying to sell canned milk. Pumpkin
pie and pecan pie could be food items created by food companies to sell
their nasty products. :-)

Fresh milk must be pretty tasty. Unfortunately, I have a problem with
lactose - that stuff would probably just kill me right off.

> Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> IMNSHO, I think I make the best pumpkin pie I've ever tasted. I use fresh
> roasted sugar pumpkin with the flesh slightly caramelized with butter after
> roasting ...

Roasting fresh pumpkin makes pie better than canned.

> OTOH, it is hard to screw up cranberry sauce. :-)

I put in a lot of effort the first time I tried, then. ;^) Disaster.
Subsequent efforts have been fine. It's easy to get right but not
impossible to screw up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 10:54*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 06:58:51 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® wrote:

> >> yep, you're right about being an ass.

> > I'm also right about the crappy ingredients.

> > --Bryan

> so in the unlikely event you're asked to sample tara's pie, don't eat it,
> THROW IT IN HER FACE!!! *that will teach her a valuable lesson.

No, I'd just avoid her cooking. You just don't get which things are
which. Blowing up buildings merits severe punishment, aka torture.
Recommending using partially hydrogenated oils, or serving them to the
ignorant deserves an ass kicking. Plain crappy cooking comes with
it's own sanction. I have enough occasions to cross paths with crappy
cooking, so I don't seek it out.

> blake

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:14:41 -0800, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >, dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>> That's the strange part about pumpkin pie - the use of canned milk. How
>> did that come about?

> I think people started subbing evaporated milk for cream because it
>was cheaper.

Maybe so, but I think shelf life has a lot to do with it too. I can't
buy fresh pumpkin in the spring or really any other time than 6 weeks
in the Fall and I'm not going to go to the bother of home canning it,
so I keep cans of pumpkin on the shelf. I also don't buy much cream
and rarely heavy cream... and I don't like to shop just to be able to
make something, so canned milk on the shelf is perfect. Everything
else is a staple item for me, so I can make pumpkin pie any time I
want if I have those two items on the shelf... and they usually are.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> I think people started subbing evaporated milk for cream because it
>> was cheaper.
>>

> Maybe so, but I think shelf life has a lot to do with it too. I can't
> buy fresh pumpkin in the spring or really any other time than 6 weeks
> in the Fall and I'm not going to go to the bother of home canning it,
> so I keep cans of pumpkin on the shelf. I also don't buy much cream
> and rarely heavy cream... and I don't like to shop just to be able to
> make something, so canned milk on the shelf is perfect. Everything
> else is a staple item for me, so I can make pumpkin pie any time I
> want if I have those two items on the shelf... and they usually are.

I am not a fan of canned fillings, but I have no problem using canned
pumpkin.....even if it is really some other type of squash. it is pureed
cooked pumpkin/squash. Come to think of it, I don't even have a major
problem with commercially made pie shells. I don't use them myself
because I don't have a problem making pastry. The pastry shells that are
sold around her are made by the same people who make puff pastry, and I
wouldn't go to all the bother to make puff pastry when the stuff that I
buy is so good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

>> Maybe so, but I think shelf life has a lot to do with it too. I can't
>> buy fresh pumpkin in the spring or really any other time than 6 weeks
>> in the Fall and I'm not going to go to the bother of home canning it,
>> so I keep cans of pumpkin on the shelf. I also don't buy much cream
>> and rarely heavy cream... and I don't like to shop just to be able to
>> make something, so canned milk on the shelf is perfect. Everything
>> else is a staple item for me, so I can make pumpkin pie any time I
>> want if I have those two items on the shelf... and they usually are.

> Ah! We usually freeze a whole lot of pumpkin puree in the fall and
> winter and we _always_ have cream. Our milk is unhomogenized so we have
> quite a lot of cream at our disposal if we want to use it.

We always have cream on hand. My wife loves cream. As far as I can
figure, evaporated milk is just a denser form of milk, and anything made
with evaporated milk is likely to be better with cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 06:58:51 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® wrote:

>>> yep, you're right about being an ass.

>> I'm also right about the crappy ingredients.
>>
>> --Bryan

> so in the unlikely event you're asked to sample tara's pie, don't eat
> it, THROW IT IN HER FACE!!! that will teach her a valuable lesson.

Or use it to poison a neighbor's dog...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 8:27*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Tue 24 Nov 2009 05:56:18a, Food Snob® told us...
>

> > On Nov 24, 12:58*am, sf > wrote:
> >> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:02:10 -0800 (PST), Food Snob®

> >> Oh, come on Bryan. *Stop being such an ass.

> > But it's true. *I remember my mother saying the following to me; if I
> > complained about an ingredient in something she was making she'd say
> > that once it was cooked in with everything else, "You won't even be
> > able to taste it." *I don't ascribe to that, but instead go by the,
> > bad ingredients in, bad result out, rule. *I may be being an ass, but
> > I'm right.

> > --Bryan

> Yep, you're a snob and an ass. *What a winning combination.

But I don't serve third rate food, especially not on Thanksgiving.

> * * * * * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:30:18 -0800 (PST), --Bryan wrote:

> On Nov 24, 10:54*am, blake murphy > wrote:

>>> I'm also right about the crappy ingredients.

>>> --Bryan

>> so in the unlikely event you're asked to sample tara's pie, don't eat it,
>> THROW IT IN HER FACE!!! *that will teach her a valuable lesson.

> No, I'd just avoid her cooking. You just don't get which things are
> which. Blowing up buildings merits severe punishment, aka torture.
> Recommending using partially hydrogenated oils, or serving them to the
> ignorant deserves an ass kicking. Plain crappy cooking comes with
> it's own sanction. I have enough occasions to cross paths with crappy
> cooking, so I don't seek it out.

it's all about the punishment (excuse me, ass-kicking) with you, isn't it?
grow the **** up.

blake