Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Smoke Grilled Jerk Chicken

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 5:27:17 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:

> On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 5:00:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 5:48:47 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >
> > > As soon as it comes out
> > > of the oven, butter the top while it's hot.
> > >

> > You don't split your slice of cornbread open and butter the inside??
> >

> I prefer mine only on corn dogs w/ mustard and ketchup.

You butter your corn dogs??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 6:24:13 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> On 5/16/2021 5:00 PM, wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 5:48:47 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >>
> >> Unpopular here among all the great chefs in RFC but I like that stuff
> >> occasionally. I'm making a batch today, in fact. As soon as it comes out
> >> of the oven, butter the top while it's hot.
> >>

> > You don't split your slice of cornbread open and butter the inside?
> >

> Just different cooking methods.

I didn't ask how you cooked it, I asked about your buttering method.

> As soon as it comes out of the oven and is still hot, I'll rub a stick
> of butter over the top many times. Lots of butter that soaks in via the
> top.

If lots of butter is your goal, you'll get much more if you split that cornbread
in two and butter the inside. Slap the top back on while it's hot to promote
melting and absorption.

https://i.postimg.cc/fLx8hN6K/Buttered-Cornbread.jpg

Do you just butter the tops of your biscuits??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 10:06:34 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 3:43:47 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > Baking a cake in seconds indicates the highest level of technological sophistication of any
> > civilization.

> I'd rather it be good than it be fast.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

You equate goodness with being slow. I'm a fan of fast and good. OTOH, here's a good and slow cake that requires the highest levels of technique: cotton cheese cake. The people that made this closed down their business recently. Hopefully, they're try again when the time is right.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:06:31 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I'd rather it be good than it be fast.

Also, it's easy to ruin a fabulous cake with bad icing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 7:14:40 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:06:31 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > I'd rather it be good than it be fast.

> Also, it's easy to ruin a fabulous cake with bad icing.

Or you could waste fabulous icing on a bad cake.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2021 4:06 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 3:43:47 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>> Baking a cake in seconds indicates the highest level of technological sophistication of any
>> civilization.

> I'd rather it be good than it be fast.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That applies to cake and love making.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 4:51:13 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 10:06:34 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 3:43:47 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > > Baking a cake in seconds indicates the highest level of technological sophistication of any
> > > civilization.

> > I'd rather it be good than it be fast.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> You equate goodness with being slow. I'm a fan of fast and good.

No, I equate badness with being fast.

Dollar store nukable cake tastes bad. Jiffy mix tastes bad.

> OTOH, here's a good and slow cake that requires the highest levels of technique: cotton cheese cake. The people that made this closed down their business recently. Hopefully, they're try again when the time is right.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

"Cotton cheese cake" is not a compelling name. It suggests that it would be
tasteless, or perhaps taste only of sugar.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 4:51:13 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>> > I'd rather it be good than it be fast.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> You equate goodness with being slow. I'm a fan of fast and good.

>No, I equate badness with being fast.
>
>Dollar store nukable cake tastes bad. Jiffy mix tastes bad.
>
>> OTOH, here's a good and slow cake that requires the highest levels of technique: cotton cheese cake. The people that made this closed down their business recently. Hopefully, they're try again when the time is right.
>>
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

>"Cotton cheese cake" is not a compelling name. It suggests that it would be
>tasteless, or perhaps taste only of sugar.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
Happy Birthday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Betcha bowser buys frozen corn dogs.

I sure do. Some are very good and some not so good.
It's been so long, I forget what's good and bad.
The good ones are best plain...no condiments necessary.

I would *never* waste my time to make my own unless unless I made them
to sell.

And Jill. You don't even eat them so why the snarky comment?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
> Happy Birthday.

Ha! I did guess right...today is your birthday. Same as my daughter.
Have a good one, Sheldar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

>> "Cotton cheese cake" is not a compelling name. It suggests that it would be
>> tasteless, or perhaps taste only of sugar.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
> Happy Birthday.

That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
things about a good carrot cake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 9:07:18 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8
> >>
> >> "Cotton cheese cake" is not a compelling name. It suggests that it would be
> >> tasteless, or perhaps taste only of sugar.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
> > Happy Birthday.
> >

> That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
> things about a good carrot cake.

That's also good on spice cake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:07:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8
>>>
>>> "Cotton cheese cake" is not a compelling name. It suggests that it would be
>>> tasteless, or perhaps taste only of sugar.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
>> Happy Birthday.

>That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
>things about a good carrot cake.

That frosting adds a lot of fat calories that limits how much cake I
would enjoy... the same reason I don't eat pie crust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2021 11:27 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:07:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>> tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

>>> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
>>> Happy Birthday.

>> That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
>> things about a good carrot cake.

> That frosting adds a lot of fat calories that limits how much cake I
> would enjoy... the same reason I don't eat pie crust.

Dave doesn't care about that, he got so fat that
his heart almost exploded.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/05/2021 14:07, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8
>>>
>>> "Cotton cheese cake" is not a compelling name.Â* It suggests that it
>>> would be
>>> tasteless, or perhaps taste only of sugar.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
>> Happy Birthday.
>>

> That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
> things about a good carrot cake.

This is one of those very rare things on which I agree with Sheldon. A
really good carrot cake needs no icing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:27:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:07:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> >On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >> On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

> >> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
> >> Happy Birthday.

> >That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
> >things about a good carrot cake.

> That frosting adds a lot of fat calories that limits how much cake I
> would enjoy... the same reason I don't eat pie crust.

That's why God made exercising. Am I wrong?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:56:50 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 18/05/2021 14:07, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >> On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

> >> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
> >> Happy Birthday.
> >>

> > That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
> > things about a good carrot cake.

> This is one of those very rare things on which I agree with Sheldon. A
> really good carrot cake needs no icing.

Perhaps. A smear of cream cheese with a little honey beaten into it
provides a welcome tanginess. It doesn't need a ton.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-18 12:50 p.m., bruce bowser wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:27:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
>>> things about a good carrot cake.

>> That frosting adds a lot of fat calories that limits how much cake I
>> would enjoy... the same reason I don't eat pie crust.

> That's why God made exercising. Am I wrong?

If only it were that easy. The sugar and fat does more nasty stuff to
your body than just adding calories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:50:26 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:27:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:07:14 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>> >tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

>> >That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
>> >things about a good carrot cake.

>> That frosting adds a lot of fat calories that limits how much cake I
>> would enjoy... the same reason I don't eat pie crust.

>That's why God made exercising. Am I wrong?

I'd rather have a larger piece of cake without icing.
For the benefit derived from formal exercise I'd rather do something
productive like work in the vegetable garden... I don't consider a
treadmill or a nordic track any benefit unless one has the IQ of a
hamster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 13:36:13 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:50:26 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:27:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> That frosting adds a lot of fat calories that limits how much cake I
>>> would enjoy... the same reason I don't eat pie crust.

>>That's why God made exercising. Am I wrong?

>I'd rather have a larger piece of cake without icing.
>For the benefit derived from formal exercise I'd rather do something
>productive like work in the vegetable garden... I don't consider a
>treadmill or a nordic track any benefit unless one has the IQ of a
>hamster.

I think you have the second lowest IQ of this newsgroup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arnie wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 13:36:13 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:50:26 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
>> > wrote:

>>> That's why God made exercising. Am I wrong?

>> I'd rather have a larger piece of cake without icing.
>> For the benefit derived from formal exercise I'd rather do something
>> productive like work in the vegetable garden... I don't consider a
>> treadmill or a nordic track any benefit unless one has the IQ of a
>> hamster.

> I think you have the second lowest IQ of this newsgroup.

Comes in right behind kuth?

Sniff his ass anyway master doctor!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 1:36:20 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:50:26 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:27:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:07:14 -0400, Dave Smith

> >> That frosting adds a lot of fat calories that limits how much cake I
> >> would enjoy... the same reason I don't eat pie crust.

> >That's why God made exercising. Am I wrong?

> I'd rather have a larger piece of cake without icing.
> For the benefit derived from formal exercise I'd rather do something
> productive like work in the vegetable garden... I don't consider a
> treadmill or a nordic track any benefit unless one has the IQ of a
> hamster.

I have run around a conventional race track, but haven't done so in awhile. I try to run along Jones Beach near where they have concerts, but my all time favorite place to run is Eisenhower Park also on Long Island, especially during the winter. Very stately environment. I don't run for a great amount of time. I barely even finish a half mile, then I walk the rest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 14:24:37 -0500, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Sniff his ass anyway master doctor!

Not that it really matters Hank, but John & Sheldon are not at the bottom
of the IQ list. One of the Bruces is fighting it out with Bryan for that
spot now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 19:47:32 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>Not that it really matters Hank, but John & Sheldon are not at the bottom
>of the IQ list. One of the Bruces is fighting it out with Bryan for that
>spot now.

Mike, allow me to explain something to you. Just because you don't
like someone, doesn't necessarily mean they're stupid. That's not how
it works. Lucky for you
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 May 2021 06:10:22 +1000, J. Stewart
> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 May 2021 19:47:32 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:
>
>>Not that it really matters Hank, but John & Sheldon are not at the bottom
>>of the IQ list. One of the Bruces is fighting it out with Bryan for that
>>spot now.

>Mike, allow me to explain something to you. Just because you don't
>like someone, doesn't necessarily mean they're stupid. That's not how
>it works. Lucky for you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 19:47:32 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 May 2021 14:24:37 -0500, Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> Sniff his ass anyway master doctor!

>Not that it really matters Hank, but John & Sheldon are not at the bottom
>of the IQ list. One of the Bruces is fighting it out with Bryan for that
>spot now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 13:28:22 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> That frosting adds a lot of fat calories that limits how much cake I
>>> would enjoy... the same reason I don't eat pie crust.

>> That's why God made exercising. Am I wrong?
>>

>If only it were that easy. The sugar and fat does more nasty stuff to
>your body than just adding calories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 16:56:44 +0100, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 18/05/2021 14:07, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>> tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

>>> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
>>> Happy Birthday.
>>>

>> That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
>> things about a good carrot cake.

>This is one of those very rare things on which I agree with Sheldon. A
>really good carrot cake needs no icing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 11:30:34 -0400, Josie MacDaddy
> wrote:

>On 5/18/2021 11:27 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 09:07:14 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

>>> That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
>>> things about a good carrot cake.

>> That frosting adds a lot of fat calories that limits how much cake I
>> would enjoy... the same reason I don't eat pie crust.
>>

>Dave doesn't care about that, he got so fat that
>his heart almost exploded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2021 7:48 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
> Happy Birthday.

Happy Birthday, Sheldon.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2021 9:07 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8
>>>
>>> "Cotton cheese cake" is not a compelling name.Â* It suggests that it
>>> would be
>>> tasteless, or perhaps taste only of sugar.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
>> Happy Birthday.
>>

> That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
> things about a good carrot cake.

I'd eat carrot cake without the icing but it does add a nice touch. I
have new neighbors living across the street. They moved in last Summer
so with the whole social distancing and mask thing we "met" at a
distance while we were both in our respective driveways. She asked me
for some recommendations for things like trash pickup companies,
landscape companies, etc. I jotted some things down and placed in the
message box under their mailbox. A few days later she left a small
carrot cake with cream cheese icing outside my front door with a "thank
you" note.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-18 3:47 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 14:24:37 -0500, Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> Sniff his ass anyway master doctor!

> Not that it really matters Hank, but John & Sheldon are not at the bottom
> of the IQ list. One of the Bruces is fighting it out with Bryan for that
> spot now.

Credit where credit is due. It is a tough fight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 17:48:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-18 3:47 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 14:24:37 -0500, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>>> Sniff his ass anyway master doctor!

>> Not that it really matters Hank, but John & Sheldon are not at the bottom
>> of the IQ list. One of the Bruces is fighting it out with Bryan for that
>> spot now.
>>

>Credit where credit is due. It is a tough fight.

Thick and Thicker are having fun. Enjoy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joe Silverbeet wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2021 17:48:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Not that it really matters Hank, but John & Sheldon are not at the bottom
>>> of the IQ list. One of the Bruces is fighting it out with Bryan for that
>>> spot now.
>>>

>> Credit where credit is due. It is a tough fight.

> Thick and Thicker are having fun. Enjoy!

Did you get a good long whiff there, master doctor?

Enjoy dave's butt odor!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 May 2021 07:54:04 +1000, Joe Silverbeet
> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 May 2021 17:48:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> Not that it really matters Hank, but John & Sheldon are not at the bottom
>>> of the IQ list. One of the Bruces is fighting it out with Bryan for that
>>> spot now.
>>>

>>Credit where credit is due. It is a tough fight.

>Thick and Thicker are having fun. Enjoy!

The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 17:23:33 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/18/2021 7:48 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
>> Happy Birthday.

>Happy Birthday, Sheldon.
>
>Jill

The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 May 2021 17:06:35 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Joe Silverbeet wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 May 2021 17:48:50 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> Credit where credit is due. It is a tough fight.

>> Thick and Thicker are having fun. Enjoy!
>>

>Did you get a good long whiff there, master doctor?
>
>Enjoy dave's butt odor!

The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 5:30:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On 5/18/2021 9:07 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2021-05-18 7:48 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >> On Tue, 18 May 2021 01:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > tps://photos.app.goo.gl/a1Wo4HpZH8tqGEVz8

> >> A moist carrot cake with walnuts needs no icing, will make me a very
> >> Happy Birthday.
> >>

> > That may be, but a nice, rich, cream cheese icing is one of the great
> > things about a good carrot cake.

> I'd eat carrot cake without the icing but it does add a nice touch.

Especially with layered cake. Maybe four or five layers!