Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REAL Southern Pulled Pork

No slow cooker involved - unless you count the smoker . Put a nice
butt on about 9 last night , after coating it well with SnagRub . It
came off at about 4 this afternoon , held in the oven on warm until we
ate at 6:30 . I shredded enough off with a fork for dinner , the rest
will be portioned and packaged and most of it will be frozen for later .
The brisket I did yesterday came out well too , though this chunk was
very fatty . I won't be buying another brisket , the yield is not worth
either the cost or the amount of work - IMO .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2021 8:28 PM, Snag wrote:
> Â* No slow cooker involved - unless you count the smoker . Put a nice
> butt on about 9 last night , after coating itÂ* well with SnagRub . It
> came off at about 4 this afternoon , held in the oven on warm until we
> ate at 6:30 . I shredded enough off with a fork for dinner , the rest
> will be portioned and packaged and most of it will be frozen for later .
> Â* The brisket I did yesterday came out well too , though this chunk was
> very fatty . I won't be buying another brisket , the yield is not worth
> either the cost or the amount of work - IMO .

Brisket prices have been high the past couple of years. Was it a packer
cut? I trim some of the fat but no more work than a butt, just a bit
more time depending on conditions. I'm due to do one soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2021 9:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/3/2021 8:28 PM, Snag wrote:
>> Â*Â* No slow cooker involved - unless you count the smoker . Put a nice
>> butt on about 9 last night , after coating itÂ* well with SnagRub . It
>> came off at about 4 this afternoon , held in the oven on warm until we
>> ate at 6:30 . I shredded enough off with a fork for dinner , the rest
>> will be portioned and packaged and most of it will be frozen for later .
>> Â*Â* The brisket I did yesterday came out well too , though this chunk
>> was very fatty . I won't be buying another brisket , the yield is not
>> worth either the cost or the amount of work - IMO .

> Brisket prices have been high the past couple of years.Â* Was it a packer
> cut?Â* I trim some of the fat but no more work than a butt, just a bit
> more time depending on conditions.Â* I'm due to do one soon.

I'm not sure what it was called , but it was a huge hunk of meat ,
around 16 or so pounds . I did the thinner part a few weeks ago , and it
had a lot less fat . I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the rest .
Still have about a third of it out in the big freezer . I probably won't
be smoking that piece .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2021 10:53 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 1/3/2021 9:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 1/3/2021 8:28 PM, Snag wrote:
>>> Â*Â* No slow cooker involved - unless you count the smoker . Put a nice
>>> butt on about 9 last night , after coating itÂ* well with SnagRub . It
>>> came off at about 4 this afternoon , held in the oven on warm until
>>> we ate at 6:30 . I shredded enough off with a fork for dinner , the
>>> rest will be portioned and packaged and most of it will be frozen for
>>> later .
>>> Â*Â* The brisket I did yesterday came out well too , though this chunk
>>> was very fatty . I won't be buying another brisket , the yield is not
>>> worth either the cost or the amount of work - IMO .

>> Brisket prices have been high the past couple of years.Â* Was it a
>> packer cut?Â* I trim some of the fat but no more work than a butt, just
>> a bit more time depending on conditions.Â* I'm due to do one soon.

> Â* I'm not sure what it was called , but it was a huge hunk of meat ,
> around 16 or so pounds . I did the thinner part a few weeks ago , and it
> had a lot less fat . I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the rest .
> Still have about a third of it out in the big freezer . I probably won't
> be smoking that piece .

Sounds like a packer cut from the size. I've always done them whole.
Trim the excess fat, slather with some yellow mustard to hold the rub of
your choice, put on the smoker. I usually start it about 10 PM at 250
degrees and cook to about 200 internal.