Mick

Default Pulled Pork

Is pork butt the most recommended piece of meat used for pulled pork?

Louis Cohen

Yup. There are a few names, and a few variations on the cut of meat (the
shank end, or the butt end of the front leg, or the whole thing), but it's
pretty commonly made from the front shoulder and maybe leg. That cut is
tough, full of fat, and cheap - hence ideally suited for low and slow
cooking.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Mick" > wrote in message
> Is pork butt the most recommended piece of meat used for pulled pork?

F.G. Whitfurrows

"Mick" > wrote in message
> Is pork butt the most recommended piece of meat used for pulled pork?

YES!

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

BOB

Mick wrote:
> Is pork butt the most recommended piece of meat used for pulled pork?

Usually. A shoulder or a picnic are good also.
These are tough, fatty and cheap cuts and work well to make pulled pork.

BOB

Chef Juke

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:21:48 -0800, "F.G. Whitfurrows"
> wrote:

>"Mick" > wrote in message
>> Is pork butt the most recommended piece of meat used for pulled pork?
>>

>YES!

What he said.

-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com
"Everybody Eats when they come to MY house!"

(Remove the CAPS from the return address when sending email replies)

Thomas Mooney

Mick > wrote in message
> Is pork butt the most recommended piece of meat used for pulled pork?

Yes, though it goes by some other names; Boston Butt, Pork Shoulder Roast,
others?

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

M&M

On 16-Feb-2004, "Mick" > wrote:

> Is pork butt the most recommended piece of meat used for pulled pork?

Yes, but the picnic is not far behind. Be advised that the picnic
always (usually) comes with the skin on and this you loose a
lot of edible weight when you but it. Others may tell you that
they like to chop up that crispy skin crust and mix it in with the
pulled meat. It's yummy.
--
M&M ("The most remarkable thing about my mother
is that for thirty years she served the family nothing
BOB

M&M wrote:
> On 16-Feb-2004, "Mick" > wrote:
>
>> Is pork butt the most recommended piece of meat used for pulled pork?

> Yes, but the picnic is not far behind. Be advised that the picnic
> always (usually) comes with the skin on and this you loose a
> lot of edible weight when you but it. Others may tell you that
> they like to chop up that crispy skin crust and mix it in with the
> pulled meat. It's yummy.

HA! Around here, the skin doesn't quite make it to being chopped and mixed in.
I eat it like you said your SWMBO does the char on the butt. Can you say
cracklin'?

BOB

Dak

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:40:03 -0500, "Mick"
> wrote:

Whole shoulder is the wat to go IMHO, and save the "bark" for someone
special... ME!

>Is pork butt the most recommended piece of meat used for pulled pork?

M&M

On 17-Feb-2004, " BOB" > wrote:

<SNIP>

> HA! Around here, the skin doesn't quite make it to being chopped and
> mixed in.
> I eat it like you said your SWMBO does the char on the butt. Can you say
> cracklin'?
>
> BOB

What BOB said. Since I started putting a little brown sugar in my rub, the
crust never makes it to the cutting board. SWMBO'd confiscates it ahead
of time

M&M

--
M&M ("The most remarkable thing about my mother
is that for thirty years she served the family nothing
but leftovers. The original meal has never been found."
Sam Levinson)

BOB

M&M wrote:
> On 17-Feb-2004, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> HA! Around here, the skin doesn't quite make it to being chopped and
>> mixed in.
>> I eat it like you said your SWMBO does the char on the butt. Can you say
>> cracklin'?
>>
>> BOB

> What BOB said. Since I started putting a little brown sugar in my rub, the
> crust never makes it to the cutting board. SWMBO'd confiscates it ahead
> of time
>
> M&M

It sure does make the P.P taste "blander" when we steal the good stuff, don't
it?

BOB

M&M

On 19-Feb-2004, " BOB" > wrote:

> It sure does make the P.P taste "blander" when we steal the good stuff,
> don't
> it?
>
> BOB

You got that right. There ought to be a law. Well actually there is.
Unfortunately it's SWMBO's law.