Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ISO: Dump Cakes

Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
(I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.

Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
instincts to go by on this.
Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 4:00:44 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
> (I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
> mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.
>
> Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
> instincts to go by on this.
> Thanks
> Janet US

I've made one that the Pioneer Woman shared. Really good and really
rich and sweet. It begs for ice cream to cut the sweetness.

Here's the one I made:

1-18 ounce box of cake mix, yellow or white.

2 large cans of cherry pie filling

1½ sticks of cold butter

Empty both cans of pie filling into a 9x13 baking pan. Spread the dry cake
mix evenly over the pie filling with a spoon or offset spatula. Slice the butter
into pats and space over the dry cake mix in a single layer. You'll think you
won't have enough butter to cover the mix but you will. Bake at 350° for
45-60 minutes.

This works well with apple or peach pie filling, too.

There are other dump cake recipes using a baked cake mix, fruit, pudding,
and Cool Whip but I've never made one. Eaten them but never made them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 17:50:06 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 4:00:44 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
>> (I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
>> mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.
>>
>> Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
>> instincts to go by on this.
>> Thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>I've made one that the Pioneer Woman shared. Really good and really
>rich and sweet. It begs for ice cream to cut the sweetness.
>
>Here's the one I made:
>
>1-18 ounce box of cake mix, yellow or white.
>
>2 large cans of cherry pie filling
>
>1½ sticks of cold butter
>
>Empty both cans of pie filling into a 9x13 baking pan. Spread the dry cake
>mix evenly over the pie filling with a spoon or offset spatula. Slice the butter
>into pats and space over the dry cake mix in a single layer. You'll think you
>won't have enough butter to cover the mix but you will. Bake at 350° for
>45-60 minutes.
>
>This works well with apple or peach pie filling, too.
>
>There are other dump cake recipes using a baked cake mix, fruit, pudding,
>and Cool Whip but I've never made one. Eaten them but never made them.

thank you. That sounds like something my husband would like with ice
cream. Just what I was looking for. Much appreciated.
Janet UA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dump Cakes

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
> (I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
> mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.
>
> Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
> instincts to go by on this.
> Thanks
> Janet US

My grandma made one called Cherry Jazz. One can of cherry pie filling, one
white or yellow Jiffy (or other single layer cake mix), 1/2 to a full stick
of butter or margarine melted. My grandma always used the whole stick.

Put the pie filling in an 8" cake pan. Dump the cake mix over. Drizzle with
the butter. Bake for approx. 30 min. at 350 degrees.

I have experimented by using simply canned fruit with a little of the juice,
other pie fillings, adding nuts, cream cheese, etc. Always comes out good.
No mixing. You can make a bigger one, but it will need to bake for longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
> (I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
> mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.
>
> Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
> instincts to go by on this.

Don't know if this is a "dump cake" but a good one that I've
made a couple of times.

Take a box of yellow cake mix and follow instructions to
make the batter (add the milk, egg, whatever).

Then stir in one or two peeled and sliced apples to the batter.
Do NOT use the sour/bitter Granny Smiths. I like nice crisp
Red Delicious. No extra spices, just apple slices.

Stir it up, pour into a 9X13 baking dish and right into
the oven.

As soon as it comes out of the oven, generously spread
some butter on top to melt in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 15:00:35 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
>(I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
>mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.
>
>Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
>instincts to go by on this.
>Thanks
>Janet US

I used to throw this in the mixer (because it was easier) but you
could do by hand as well. Duncan Hines dark chocolate Devils cake
mix, I small packet Jellos instant chocolate pudding, and whatever
else it said to put in, oil and an egg I seem to recall. I add about
1/2 cup of dark rum. Cook in a bundt cake pan as per packet
directions. About 50 minutes.

When cold I frosted with butter/icing sugar/powdered chocolate/more
rum. It works well andwhen I run into ex soccer players from back in
the day they always remark how much they loved my chocolate cake. Have
never confessed to how I made it lol Back then I was working mother
with three kids and time was of the essence. I still make it once a
year for my eldest granddaughters birthday by request, I keep thinking
I should type it up and leave it with documents so they can give it to
her when I croak, she'd get a real laugh when she found it was Duncan
Hines
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 09:02:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
>> (I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
>> mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.
>>
>> Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
>> instincts to go by on this.

>Don't know if this is a "dump cake" but a good one that I've
>made a couple of times.
>
>Take a box of yellow cake mix and follow instructions to
>make the batter (add the milk, egg, whatever).
>
>Then stir in one or two peeled and sliced apples to the batter.
>Do NOT use the sour/bitter Granny Smiths. I like nice crisp
>Red Delicious. No extra spices, just apple slices.
>
>Stir it up, pour into a 9X13 baking dish and right into
>the oven.
>
>As soon as it comes out of the oven, generously spread
>some butter on top to melt in.

that sounds easy enough! Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 10:14:43 -0300, Lucretia Borgia
> wrote:

>I used to throw this in the mixer (because it was easier) but you
>could do by hand as well. Duncan Hines dark chocolate Devils cake
>mix, I small packet Jellos instant chocolate pudding, and whatever
>else it said to put in, oil and an egg I seem to recall. I add about
>1/2 cup of dark rum. Cook in a bundt cake pan as per packet
>directions. About 50 minutes.
>
>When cold I frosted with butter/icing sugar/powdered chocolate/more
>rum. It works well andwhen I run into ex soccer players from back in
>the day they always remark how much they loved my chocolate cake. Have
>never confessed to how I made it lol Back then I was working mother
>with three kids and time was of the essence. I still make it once a
>year for my eldest granddaughters birthday by request, I keep thinking
>I should type it up and leave it with documents so they can give it to
>her when I croak, she'd get a real laugh when she found it was Duncan
>Hines

Copied and saved . Thanks. It sounds delish. It will give me a
reason to get the old bundt pan out and dust it off.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 14:16:22 -0000 (UTC), heyjoe
> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 15:00:35 -0600
>in Message-ID: >
>U.S. Janet B. wrote :
>
>> Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
>> (I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
>> mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.

>Not exactly a "dump" cake, as this one is mixed with a spoon/spatula.
>I've never frosted it, although the original recipe calls for frosting.
>
>Chocolate Cherry Bars
><https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/chocolate-cherry-bars/15d6f3ce-21b3-43fb-8cb0-b33fb4177d3e>
>
>Ingredients
>
>Cake Bars
>1 (18.25-oz.) pkg. Pillsbury Moist Supreme Devil's Food Cake Mix
>1 (21-oz.) can cherry pie filling
>1 teaspoon almond extract
>3 eggs, beaten
>
>Frosting
>1 C sugar
>1/3 C milk
>5 TBSP margarine or butter
>1 (6-oz.) pkg (1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
>

>Steps
>Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 15x10x1-inch baking pan or
>13x9-inch pan. In large bowl, combine all cake bar ingredients; stir
>until well blended. Pour into greased and floured pan.
>
>Bake at 350°F. until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. For
>15x10x1-inch pan, bake 20 to 30 minutes; for 13x9-inch pan, bake 25 to
>35 minutes.
>
>In small saucepan, combine sugar, milk and margarine. Bring to a boil.
>Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate
>chips until smooth. Pour and spread over warm bars. Cool 1 1/4 hours or
>until completely cooled. Cut into bars.

thanks, this is very similar to what the Church Ladies used to make
back in the day. I loved them. Thanks again, Copied and saved.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 21:56:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .

>> Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
>> (I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
>> mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.
>>
>> Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
>> instincts to go by on this.
>> Thanks
>> Janet US

>My grandma made one called Cherry Jazz. One can of cherry pie filling, one
>white or yellow Jiffy (or other single layer cake mix), 1/2 to a full stick
>of butter or margarine melted. My grandma always used the whole stick.
>
>Put the pie filling in an 8" cake pan. Dump the cake mix over. Drizzle with
>the butter. Bake for approx. 30 min. at 350 degrees.
>
>I have experimented by using simply canned fruit with a little of the juice,
>other pie fillings, adding nuts, cream cheese, etc. Always comes out good.
>No mixing. You can make a bigger one, but it will need to bake for longer.

Thanks a lot Julie, especially about the tip to change it out to
different flavors.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 11:12:52 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> thank you. That sounds like something my husband would like with ice
> cream. Just what I was looking for. Much appreciated.
> Janet UA

You're welcome!

The first one I saw Bree Drummond make was a combination of cherry pie
filling and pineapple. Looking at it made my fillings ache, hahahahahaaaa.
But it's rich stuff so don't be surprised if you feel like you've had a sugar overload.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 4:20:23 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2020-10-21 3:15 p.m., wrote:
> >
> > The first one I saw Bree Drummond make was a combination of cherry
> > pie filling and pineapple. Looking at it made my fillings ache,
> > hahahahahaaaa. But it's rich stuff so don't be surprised if you feel
> > like you've had a sugar overload.
> >

> I saw one of those recipes. My immediate response was to cringe at the
> thought of pineapple and cherry together. Pineapple upside down cake
> doesn't count because they are milder cherries and there are only a few.

The pineapple and cherry pie filling mixture did not appeal to me either. I just
made mine with cherry and it was very good. But I do love a good pineapple
upside-down cake and the cherries are just enough flavoring and makes the
cake rather purty, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 21:56:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> > >
> >> Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake

> mix >> (I have several of different flavors) that require nothing
> more than >> mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer
> out.
> > >
> >> Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
> >> instincts to go by on this.
> >> Thanks
> >> Janet US

> > My grandma made one called Cherry Jazz. One can of cherry pie
> > filling, one white or yellow Jiffy (or other single layer cake
> > mix), 1/2 to a full stick of butter or margarine melted. My grandma
> > always used the whole stick.
> >
> > Put the pie filling in an 8" cake pan. Dump the cake mix over.
> > Drizzle with the butter. Bake for approx. 30 min. at 350 degrees.
> >
> > I have experimented by using simply canned fruit with a little of
> > the juice, other pie fillings, adding nuts, cream cheese, etc.
> > Always comes out good. No mixing. You can make a bigger one, but
> > it will need to bake for longer.

> Thanks a lot Julie, especially about the tip to change it out to
> different flavors.
> Janet US

It's very simple cooking but it works. When I was a college student,
we would do it with a blueberry filling and the jiffy cake mix. Pretty
sure we used margarine (was a heck of a lot cheaper than butter then).

The other way to do it is mix the batter up with the butter (and I
think an egg?) and put it in the pan then add the can of filling on top
then top that with brown sugar. The berries partly melt into the cake
and I don't really have a name for it other than we called it 'dump
cake'.

Ah that brings back a memory. We had only 1 cookbook. I had checked it
out from the Clemson University Library. Card (yes, we still used
cards then) showed I was the first in 7 years to check it out. 2 pages
got messed up with some syrup or something so I went to the library
next day between classes and fessed up. The Librarian at the desk
laughed and said 1.50 to buy the book or 19.95 damages... Snicker,
bought the book.

That recipe I think was in that book. I recall not the actual name,
but it was written in the late 50's or early 60's and did a decent job
of explaining decent basic things like how long to defrost a frozen
Turkey, how long to bake a stuffed vs. unstuffed one etc. It was our
speed.

The title was something similar to 'Modern cooking for the busy
housewife' and it was full of premade mixes, canned soups and such.
Hamburger Helper hadn't hit the markets yet when it came out but the
book had a very simple version with boiled/drained noodles, browned
ground beef, canned diced tomatoes, and chili or taco seasoning.

As the years went by, the book went off with a former roomate and from
him I know it was passed to another once he was done with it. For all
we know, it's still making it's rounds among Clemson College
students....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have recipe(s) for dump cakes that use packaged cake mix
> > (I have several of different flavors) that require nothing more than
> > mixing with spatula? I really don't want to get a mixer out.
> >
> > Any kind of dump cake appreciated, I've never made one so have no
> > instincts to go by on this.

> Don't know if this is a "dump cake" but a good one that I've
> made a couple of times.
>
> Take a box of yellow cake mix and follow instructions to
> make the batter (add the milk, egg, whatever).
>
> Then stir in one or two peeled and sliced apples to the batter.
> Do NOT use the sour/bitter Granny Smiths. I like nice crisp
> Red Delicious. No extra spices, just apple slices.
>
> Stir it up, pour into a 9X13 baking dish and right into
> the oven.
>
> As soon as it comes out of the oven, generously spread
> some butter on top to melt in.

Been there, yup, I call it a 'dump cake'. Try Golden Delicious or Gala
apples. Much better than the so called 'red deicious' that today has
been overbred for looks and is not actually that good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Been there, yup, I call it a 'dump cake'. Try Golden Delicious or Gala
> apples. Much better than the so called 'red deicious' that today has
> been overbred for looks and is not actually that good.

I do buy Gala apples occasionally.

As far as the Red Delicious apples. Buy a 3lb bag and they
are small and usually mushy. not good.

However, stores also sell large ones that you can pick
individually and they are firm and crisp. That's what
I like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 23:13:06 -0500, cshenk wrote:

> better than the so called 'red deicious' that today has
> been overbred for looks and is not actually that good.

Red Delicious are genetically identical to the original.

What is different nowadays is temperature & carbon dioxide regimen (&
waxing, etc.) that lets us take apples out of cold storage almost a year
after harvest.

These apples look great and are crispy enough. But we have not managed
yet a manner to properly conserve their harvest-time taste.

('Honeycrisps' are even more complicated, but their taste is said to
actually improve during their somnambulent sojourn.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 4:09:02 AM UTC-10, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 23:13:06 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>

> > better than the so called 'red deicious' that today has
> > been overbred for looks and is not actually that good.

> Red Delicious are genetically identical to the original.
>
> What is different nowadays is temperature & carbon dioxide regimen (&
> waxing, etc.) that lets us take apples out of cold storage almost a year
> after harvest.
>
> These apples look great and are crispy enough. But we have not managed
> yet a manner to properly conserve their harvest-time taste.
>
> ('Honeycrisps' are even more complicated, but their taste is said to
> actually improve during their somnambulent sojourn.)

You sound like a believer of science. That's such an old fashioned notion in the new, great, America. Mostly, people of science are troublemakers. We're going to need people that can turn a wrench and can fix/assemble stuff in the brave, new, America. One day, we'll replace China in manufacturing cheap crap. We'll all be employed and it will be a great, wonderful, thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 9:09:02 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 23:13:06 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>

> > better than the so called 'red deicious' that today has
> > been overbred for looks and is not actually that good.

> Red Delicious are genetically identical to the original.

Most folks don't know about apple breeding, and that if you plant a seed
from an apple, you're unlikely to end up with a tree that makes decent
apples. There's an apple tree on our rental property that was obviously
grown from seed because it has thorns.

> What is different nowadays is temperature & carbon dioxide regimen (&
> waxing, etc.) that lets us take apples out of cold storage almost a year
> after harvest.
>
> These apples look great and are crispy enough. But we have not managed
> yet a manner to properly conserve their harvest-time taste.

A freshly picked Red Delicious is a delight, but a lot of the time they're
mealy and awful.

> ('Honeycrisps' are even more complicated, but their taste is said to
> actually improve during their somnambulent sojourn.)

We grow Pixie Crunches, but the squirrels get most of them. They're
like little Honeycrisps.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<https://web.archive.org/web/20081012064911/http://www.orangepippin.com/articles/supermarketapples.aspx>

> Much prefer an Arkansas Black, but have yet to find any place you can
> buy them. You need to grow your own apple tree(s) to enjoy this apple
> (requires another apple variety to pollinate it). Late harvest and
> keeps really well without special storage conditions Gets better as it
> ages. Great all around apple!! Don't know why it isn't better known.

<https://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apple-trees/starkspur-arkansas-black-apple>

Might not transport well? Just a guess there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/24/2020 8:22 AM, Gary wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Been there, yup, I call it a 'dump cake'. Try Golden Delicious or Gala
>> apples. Much better than the so called 'red deicious' that today has
>> been overbred for looks and is not actually that good.

> I do buy Gala apples occasionally.

Appropos of nothing, my lovebird (Peaches) adored Gala apples.

> As far as the Red Delicious apples. Buy a 3lb bag and they
> are small and usually mushy. not good.

Now who sounds like Julie, eh Mr. Princess?

Jill

> However, stores also sell large ones that you can pick
> individually and they are firm and crisp. That's what
> I like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/24/2020 11:02 AM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 08:22:52 -0400
> in Message-ID: >
> Gary wrote :
>
>> However, stores also sell large ones that you can pick
>> individually and they are firm and crisp. That's what
>> I like.

> For me, Red Delicious are flavorless/flat. I'll take a Braeburn over
> Red Delicious any day.
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20081012064911/http://www.orangepippin.com/articles/supermarketapples.aspx>
>
> Much prefer an Arkansas Black, but have yet to find any place you can
> buy them. You need to grow your own apple tree(s)

Nice info but Gary lives in an apartment building near Virginia Beach.
He can't plant apple trees.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> One day, we'll replace China in manufacturing cheap crap.
> We'll all be employed and it will be a great, wonderful,
> thing.

My guess is a bit different than yours. We won't replace
China in manufacturing. We will *become* the Chinese here
in the USA.

They are a very patient society and govt. World domination
won't come soon but maybe 100-200 years from now. They
have a long term plan and I suspect they will win eventually.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 "cshenk" wrote:
>heyjoe wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 Gary wrote :
>>
>> > However, stores also sell large ones that you can pick
>> > individually and they are firm and crisp. That's what
>> > I like.

>> For me, Red Delicious are flavorless/flat. I'll take a Braeburn over
>> Red Delicious any day.
>>

><https://web.archive.org/web/20081012064911/http://www.orangepippin.com/articles/supermarketapples.aspx>
>>
>> Much prefer an Arkansas Black, but have yet to find any place you can
>> buy them. You need to grow your own apple tree(s) to enjoy this apple
>> (requires another apple variety to pollinate it). Late harvest and
>> keeps really well without special storage conditions Gets better as it
>> ages. Great all around apple!! Don't know why it isn't better known.
>>

><https://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apple-trees/starkspur-arkansas-black-apple>
>
>Might not transport well? Just a guess there.

Apple trees don't do well in warm climates, Red Delicious
requires a long hard winter. Apples do very well in upstate NY.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 9:05:54 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...
> >
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > One day, we'll replace China in manufacturing cheap crap.
> > > We'll all be employed and it will be a great, wonderful,
> > > thing.

> > My guess is a bit different than yours. We won't replace
> > China in manufacturing. We will *become* the Chinese here
> > in the USA.
> >
> > They are a very patient society and govt.

> No, they are not.
>
> I went to China in 1986 and got exactly the opposite impression,
> Gary. The Chinese govt was unstoppably hellbent on high-speed social and
> technical development. The population are compelled to make it happen.
> World domination
> > won't come soon but maybe 100-200 years from now.

> I would be absolutely amazed if they wait that long.
>
> Janet UK.

China is playing the long game, compared with the U.S. American business
rarely thinks past the next quarter's results.

I don't think it'll take 100 years, not because they're in a hurry, but because
America is surrendering, or abdicating, or is just too stupid.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 jmcquown wrote:
>On 10/24/2020 11:02 AM, heyjoe wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 Gary wrote:
>>
>>> However, stores also sell large ones that you can pick
>>> individually and they are firm and crisp. That's what
>>> I like.

>> For me, Red Delicious are flavorless/flat. I'll take a Braeburn over
>> Red Delicious any day.
>> <https://web.archive.org/web/20081012064911/http://www.orangepippin.com/articles/supermarketapples.aspx>
>>
>> Much prefer an Arkansas Black, but have yet to find any place you can
>> buy them. You need to grow your own apple tree(s)
>>

>Nice info but Gary lives in an apartment building near Virginia Beach.
>He can't plant apple trees.
>
>Jill

Even if Gary had space to grow apples they wouldn't produce well in
his mild climate. He'd also need to go heavily with insecticides.
It's the long hard winters that keep the insect larvae down but still
insecticides are needed for apple growing. I have some apple trees
here that I planted and winters here in the Northern Catskills are
very long and cold but still the apples are always wormy because I
don't spray... the deer and other critters can have them. In spring
they are attractive for the blossoms. I also planted several
crabapple trees, their blossoms and foliage are even more attractive.
I planted some ornamental pear trees too, for their attractive
blossoms and shape, they produce pears the size of bean, the birds eat
them.

I'm surrounded by many large orchards where I can buy very good apples
by the bushel but they all use insecticides... and chemical fertilizer
too. It's the same with pears, cherries, and other tree crops. Plums
don't do well here, the soil contains Black Knot Disease that left
untreated will desimate the trees. The only insecticide I use is
Sevin for Japanese beetles, they appear every few years.

Red Spire Ornimental Pear, Purple Leaf Crabapple, Washington Hawthorne
https://postimg.cc/gallery/v9PQKh6
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 7:50:35 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 "cshenk" wrote:
> >heyjoe wrote:

> >> For me, Red Delicious are flavorless/flat. I'll take a Braeburn over
> >> Red Delicious any day.
> >>

> ><https://web.archive.org/web/20081012064911/http://www.orangepippin.com/articles/supermarketapples.aspx>
> >>
> >> Much prefer an Arkansas Black, but have yet to find any place you can
> >> buy them. You need to grow your own apple tree(s) to enjoy this apple
> >> (requires another apple variety to pollinate it). Late harvest and
> >> keeps really well without special storage conditions Gets better as it
> >> ages. Great all around apple!! Don't know why it isn't better known.
> >>

> ><https://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apple-trees/starkspur-arkansas-black-apple>
> >
> >Might not transport well? Just a guess there.

> Apple trees don't do well in warm climates, Red Delicious
> requires a long hard winter. Apples do very well in upstate NY.

Red Delicious has about a medium chill hours requirement, and the Starking, which
is a sport of Red Delicious, requires even fewer chill hours. Some of us actually
grow apples.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 12:35:18 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > One day, we'll replace China in manufacturing cheap crap.
> > We'll all be employed and it will be a great, wonderful,
> > thing.

> My guess is a bit different than yours. We won't replace
> China in manufacturing. We will *become* the Chinese here
> in the USA.
>
> They are a very patient society and govt. World domination
> won't come soon but maybe 100-200 years from now. They
> have a long term plan and I suspect they will win eventually.

Indeed they do see the long game, have been around for 3,000 years, and have a shitload of people. Perhaps America will be a hybrid society in 100 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FaM...hannel=laul344
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 "cshenk" wrote:
> > heyjoe wrote:

> >> For me, Red Delicious are flavorless/flat. I'll take a Braeburn

> over >> Red Delicious any day.

<https://web.archive.org/web/20081012064911/http://www.orangepippin.com/articles/supermarketapples.aspx>

> >> Much prefer an Arkansas Black, but have yet to find any place you

> can >> buy them. You need to grow your own apple tree(s) to enjoy
> this apple >> (requires another apple variety to pollinate it). Late
> harvest and >> keeps really well without special storage conditions
> Gets better as it >> ages. Great all around apple!! Don't know why
> it isn't better known.

<https://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apple-trees/starkspur-arkansas-black-apple>

> > Might not transport well? Just a guess there.

> Apple trees don't do well in warm climates, Red Delicious
> requires a long hard winter. Apples do very well in upstate NY.

Some apple tree *types* don't do well in warm climates. Just like some
apple tree *types* don't do well in colder climates. I grow 2 types
suited to my climate.

Arkansas Black... can't find the cross pollenator so not sure if would
fit here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 7:50:35 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> > over >> Red Delicious any day.
> > >>
> > ><https://web.archive.org/web/20081012...w.orangepippin

> > .com/articles/supermarketapples.aspx> >>

> > you can >> buy them. You need to grow your own apple tree(s) to
> > enjoy this apple >> (requires another apple variety to pollinate
> > it). Late harvest and >> keeps really well without special storage
> > conditions Gets better as it >> ages. Great all around apple!!
> > Don't know why it isn't better known. >>
> > ><https://www.starkbros.com/products/f...-trees/starksp

> > ur-arkansas-black-apple>
> > >
> > > Might not transport well? Just a guess there.

> > Apple trees don't do well in warm climates, Red Delicious
> > requires a long hard winter. Apples do very well in upstate NY.

> Red Delicious has about a medium chill hours requirement, and the
> Starking, which is a sport of Red Delicious, requires even fewer
> chill hours. Some of us actually grow apples.
>
> --Bryan

Golden Delicious and Granny Apple here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 10:07:17 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> Arkansas Black... can't find the cross pollenator so not sure if would
> fit here.

My former neighbor across the alley had a couple of Arkansas Black apple
trees and they did very well here in Tennessee. Tasted great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 jmcquown wrote:

> >> For me, Red Delicious are flavorless/flat. I'll take a Braeburn

> over >> Red Delicious any day.
> >>

> <https://web.archive.org/web/20081012...rangepippin.co
> m/articles/supermarketapples.aspx> >> >> Much prefer an Arkansas
> Black, but have yet to find any place you can >> buy them. You need
> to grow your own apple tree(s) >>
> > Nice info but Gary lives in an apartment building near Virginia
> > Beach. He can't plant apple trees.
> >
> > Jill

> Even if Gary had space to grow apples they wouldn't produce well in
> his mild climate. He'd also need to go heavily with insecticides.
> It's the long hard winters that keep the insect larvae down but still
> insecticides are needed for apple growing. I have some apple trees
> here that I planted and winters here in the Northern Catskills are
> very long and cold but still the apples are always wormy because I
> don't spray... the deer and other critters can have them. In spring
> they are attractive for the blossoms. I also planted several
> crabapple trees, their blossoms and foliage are even more attractive.
> I planted some ornamental pear trees too, for their attractive
> blossoms and shape, they produce pears the size of bean, the birds eat
> them.
>
> I'm surrounded by many large orchards where I can buy very good apples
> by the bushel but they all use insecticides... and chemical fertilizer
> too. It's the same with pears, cherries, and other tree crops. Plums
> don't do well here, the soil contains Black Knot Disease that left
> untreated will desimate the trees. The only insecticide I use is
> Sevin for Japanese beetles, they appear every few years.
>
> Red Spire Ornimental Pear, Purple Leaf Crabapple, Washington Hawthorne
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/v9PQKh6

Dude! What planet are you from?

I use *no* pesticides or fertilizers and get a variable crop from 200
to 400 (weather dependent) each year from 2 trees. The only addition is
a lot of crushed eggshells to replenish soil calcium as they are
calcium hungry plants when cropping. Takes about 6 eggshells a week
per tree.

dump cake sf[_9_] General Cooking 50 11-10-2014 03:20 PM
Dump Cake Leeanna Recipes (moderated) 0 01-09-2007 06:24 PM
Dump Cake Jean Lawrence Recipes (moderated) 0 26-05-2007 01:55 AM
Dump Cake Susan Ulrich Recipes (moderated) 0 27-01-2006 03:50 AM