Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Milk bankruptcy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout

Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.

The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year

The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
conventional white milk category."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/19 12:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>

> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>
> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>
> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
> conventional white milk category."

Too many almonds being milked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:01:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>
>Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>
>The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
>are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
>company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
>fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>
>The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>conventional white milk category."

Interesting. For years now, the only time I use dairy milk is for tea
and coffee (and even then, not always). I'm guessing many are the
same as far as that goes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 3:23:05 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:01:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
> >
> >Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
> >
> >The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
> >are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
> >company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
> >fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
> >
> >The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
> >and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
> >O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
> >conventional white milk category."

> Interesting. For years now, the only time I use dairy milk is for tea
> and coffee (and even then, not always). I'm guessing many are the
> same as far as that goes.

Americans are switching in droves to non-dairy milks such as almond milk
or oat milk. Although some people genuinely have difficulty with
animal milk (particularly cow's milk which is by far the most common milk
in the U.S.), a lot of people are just on the "milk is bad" bandwagon.

My husband and I are drinking more milk now than ever (possibly even
more than when we were children), but two people can only do so much

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2019 2:36 PM, jay wrote:
> On 11/12/19 12:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>>

>> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>>
>> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because
>> Americans are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly
>> brutal: the company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year,
>> and profit fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>>
>> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>> conventional white milk category."

> Too many almonds being milked.

LOL nut milks aren't milk.

I, for one, would really miss Land O' Lakes butter. And yes, I drink
and cook with cows milk. And cream! I'm not sure exactly what dairy it
comes from here in South Carolina. Dean Foods used to have a dairy in
midtown Memphis, TN. In fact, until the mid-1980's they still delivered
milk and dairy products to the home in some areas. Not by horse drawn
cart, though.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 12:43:03 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 3:23:05 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:01:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>> >https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>> >
>> >Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>> >
>> >The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
>> >are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
>> >company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
>> >fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>> >
>> >The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>> >and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>> >O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>> >conventional white milk category."

>> Interesting. For years now, the only time I use dairy milk is for tea
>> and coffee (and even then, not always). I'm guessing many are the
>> same as far as that goes.

>Americans are switching in droves to non-dairy milks such as almond milk
>or oat milk.

I like almond milk with oatmeal, and sometimes smoothies.

Don't know if it technically counts, but I do eat yoghurt daily, also
probiotic milk. Used to make my own kefir, but no longer possible due
to living in two countries.

>Although some people genuinely have difficulty with
>animal milk (particularly cow's milk which is by far the most common milk
>in the U.S.), a lot of people are just on the "milk is bad" bandwagon.

Dairy milk still seems to be popular in Australia, but I think there
is a similar trend, albeit to a much lesser degree. Are people using
these non-dairy milks for coffee now? (ugh). Soy lattes comes to mind.

>My husband and I are drinking more milk now than ever (possibly even
>more than when we were children), but two people can only do so much

Indeed I must have used gallons of milk as a kid, when I would eat
6 weetbix https://www.weetbix.com.au/ for breakfast and another 6
after school and before dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2019 3:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 3:23:05 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:01:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>>>
>>> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>>>
>>> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
>>> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
>>> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
>>> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>>>
>>> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>>> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>>> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>>> conventional white milk category."

>> Interesting. For years now, the only time I use dairy milk is for tea
>> and coffee (and even then, not always). I'm guessing many are the
>> same as far as that goes.

> Americans are switching in droves to non-dairy milks such as almond milk
> or oat milk. Although some people genuinely have difficulty with
> animal milk (particularly cow's milk which is by far the most common milk
> in the U.S.), a lot of people are just on the "milk is bad" bandwagon.
>
> My husband and I are drinking more milk now than ever (possibly even
> more than when we were children), but two people can only do so much
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I realize a lot of people on RFC don't like dairy milk or claim to be
lactose intolerant. Whatever. I happen to like milk. I drink it, I
cook with it. I don't quite understand the nut milk bandwagon. If you
read the labels, it's mostly water and sugar. There's practically no
nutritional value. They have to pump it full of stuff to make it taste
like anything. For the label-conscious:

Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Contains Less Than 2%
Of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate,
Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower
Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Freshness).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 4:20:46 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/12/2019 2:36 PM, jay wrote:
> > On 11/12/19 12:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
> >>

> >> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
> >>
> >> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because
> >> Americans are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly
> >> brutal: the company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year,
> >> and profit fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
> >>
> >> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
> >> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
> >> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
> >> conventional white milk category."

> > Too many almonds being milked.

> LOL nut milks aren't milk.
>
> I, for one, would really miss Land O' Lakes butter.

I've mainly switched to store-brand butter or Challenge butter
if I have coupon. It's all grade AA and I can't tell the difference
among them. Why pay double for Land o' Lakes?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:30:26 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/12/2019 3:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Interesting. For years now, the only time I use dairy milk is for tea
>>> and coffee (and even then, not always). I'm guessing many are the
>>> same as far as that goes.

>> Americans are switching in droves to non-dairy milks such as almond milk
>> or oat milk. Although some people genuinely have difficulty with
>> animal milk (particularly cow's milk which is by far the most common milk
>> in the U.S.), a lot of people are just on the "milk is bad" bandwagon.
>>
>> My husband and I are drinking more milk now than ever (possibly even
>> more than when we were children), but two people can only do so much
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I realize a lot of people on RFC don't like dairy milk or claim to be
>lactose intolerant. Whatever. I happen to like milk. I drink it, I
>cook with it. I don't quite understand the nut milk bandwagon. If you
>read the labels, it's mostly water and sugar. There's practically no
>nutritional value. They have to pump it full of stuff to make it taste
>like anything. For the label-conscious:
>
>Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Contains Less Than 2%
>Of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate,
>Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower
>Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Freshness).

Not sure why you chose to pick such an unhealthy version of almond
milk. This is one brand I buy:

Filtered Water, Ground Whole Almonds (2.5%), Tapioca Starch, Mineral
Salt (Calcium Carbonate [Ground Limestone]), Salt, Stabiliser
(Carrageenan), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour.
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...ed-almond-milk
It's not perfect, but the only alternative is to either buy it freshly
made or make it yourself (which is time consuming and expensive).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 1:01:48 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>
> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>
> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>
> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
> conventional white milk category."

I just read this a few minutes ago and it's a bit of a shocker, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/19 2:29 PM, Je�us wrote:
> Indeed I must have used gallons of milk as a kid, when I would eat
> 6 weetbixhttps://www.weetbix.com.au/ for breakfast and another 6
> after school and before dinner.

Now that is truly some nasty stuff!!! Taste bud defining.

Appropriately named and owned by Sanitarium Wellness which is holy owned
by the Seventh Day Adventist Church NON PROFIT who pays zero taxes to
your government.

They proudly served it at Alcatraz with a side of water. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 3:37:18 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I've mainly switched to store-brand butter or Challenge butter
> if I have coupon. It's all grade AA and I can't tell the difference
> among them. Why pay double for Land o' Lakes?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I've always bought whichever brand is on sale and that's usually the store
brand. This past week Kroger had LOL butter on sale for $2.49 per pound.
Guess who happened to have a digital coupon for $2 off 2 pounds!

))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 11/12/2019 3:43 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Americans are switching in droves to non-dairy milks such as almond milk
>> or oat milk. Although some people genuinely have difficulty with
>> animal milk (particularly cow's milk which is by far the most common milk
>> in the U.S.), a lot of people are just on the "milk is bad" bandwagon.
>>
>> My husband and I are drinking more milk now than ever (possibly even
>> more than when we were children), but two people can only do so much
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I realize a lot of people on RFC don't like dairy milk or claim to be
>lactose intolerant.

"Claim to be"... so they're lying! McBiddy on the case!

>Whatever. I happen to like milk. I drink it, I
>cook with it. I don't quite understand the nut milk bandwagon.

Well, think of all those people who claim to be lactose intolerant and
then you might understand. And don't forget the vegans. Lovely people,
by the way.

>If you
>read the labels, it's mostly water and sugar. There's practically no
>nutritional value. They have to pump it full of stuff to make it taste
>like anything. For the label-conscious:
>
>Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Contains Less Than 2%
>Of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate,
>Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower
>Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Freshness).

Eew!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 04:46:49 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:30:26 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> Americans are switching in droves to non-dairy milks such as almond milk
>>> or oat milk. Although some people genuinely have difficulty with
>>> animal milk (particularly cow's milk which is by far the most common milk
>>> in the U.S.), a lot of people are just on the "milk is bad" bandwagon.
>>>
>>> My husband and I are drinking more milk now than ever (possibly even
>>> more than when we were children), but two people can only do so much
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>I realize a lot of people on RFC don't like dairy milk or claim to be
>>lactose intolerant. Whatever. I happen to like milk. I drink it, I
>>cook with it. I don't quite understand the nut milk bandwagon. If you
>>read the labels, it's mostly water and sugar. There's practically no
>>nutritional value. They have to pump it full of stuff to make it taste
>>like anything. For the label-conscious:
>>
>>Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Contains Less Than 2%
>>Of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate,
>>Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower
>>Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Freshness).

>Not sure why you chose to pick such an unhealthy version of almond
>milk.

The biddy wanted to make a point so she filtered the information to
her advantage.

>This is one brand I buy:
>
>Filtered Water, Ground Whole Almonds (2.5%), Tapioca Starch, Mineral
>Salt (Calcium Carbonate [Ground Limestone]), Salt, Stabiliser
>(Carrageenan), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour.
>https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...ed-almond-milk
>It's not perfect, but the only alternative is to either buy it freshly
>made or make it yourself (which is time consuming and expensive).

Almond milk with 2.5% almonds... And that mysterious "natural flavour"
again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:12:32 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 1:01:48 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>>
>> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>>
>> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
>> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
>> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
>> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>>
>> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>> conventional white milk category."
>>

>I just read this a few minutes ago and it's a bit of a shocker, too.

People are realising that milk's good for calves and babies, but
adults don't need it, unless they're stuck in the baby phase. Maybe
they weren't breast-fed long enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 04:46:49 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:30:26 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I realize a lot of people on RFC don't like dairy milk or claim to be
>>> lactose intolerant. Whatever. I happen to like milk. I drink it, I
>>> cook with it. I don't quite understand the nut milk bandwagon. If you
>>> read the labels, it's mostly water and sugar. There's practically no
>>> nutritional value. They have to pump it full of stuff to make it taste
>>> like anything. For the label-conscious:
>>>
>>> Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Contains Less Than 2%
>>> Of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate,
>>> Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower
>>> Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Freshness).

>> Not sure why you chose to pick such an unhealthy version of almond
>> milk.

> The biddy wanted to make a point so she filtered the information to
> her advantage.
>
>> This is one brand I buy:
>>
>> Filtered Water, Ground Whole Almonds (2.5%), Tapioca Starch, Mineral
>> Salt (Calcium Carbonate [Ground Limestone]), Salt, Stabiliser
>> (Carrageenan), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour.
>> https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...ed-almond-milk
>> It's not perfect, but the only alternative is to either buy it freshly
>> made or make it yourself (which is time consuming and expensive).

> Almond milk with 2.5% almonds... And that mysterious "natural flavour"
> again.

Druce, yoose whining again. They stole yoose thunder

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 5:08:10 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> People are realising that milk's good for calves and babies, but
> adults don't need it, unless they're stuck in the baby phase. Maybe
> they weren't breast-fed long enough.

I posted this comment a week or so ago but I'll post it again.

When I was a child milk was heavily advertised to 'grow strong bones and
teeth' with a recommendation of at least 2 glasses of milk per day.

Was this an effort by dairy farmers to increase their profits?? Probably.
Was this an effort to by the AMA or the FDA to make sure American children
did not suffer malnutrition that children in Europe probably did due to
WWII? Probably.

Either scenario certainly did no harm to any child's health. And if a
person was unfortunate to have a lactose intolerance, then they just didn't
drink milk. Enjoying milk is nothing to be ashamed of or for anyone to
look down on someone who does like drinking it on a regular basis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-12 3:14 p.m., jay wrote:
> On 11/12/19 2:29 PM, Je�us wrote:
>> IndeedÂ* I must have used gallons of milk as a kid, when I would eat
>> 6 weetbixhttps://www.weetbix.com.au/Â* for breakfast and another 6
>> after school and before dinner.

> Now that is truly some nasty stuff!!! Taste bud defining.
>
> Appropriately named and owned by Sanitarium Wellness which is holy owned
> by the Seventh Day Adventist Church NON PROFIT who pays zero taxes to
> your government.

Those *******s once ran a mission to the aborigines but refused to feed
the kids until they'd learned some religious tract or other. When they
were found out, they were banned from running any mission.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2019 4:46 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:30:26 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Americans are switching in droves to non-dairy milks such as almond milk
>>> or oat milk. Although some people genuinely have difficulty with
>>> animal milk (particularly cow's milk which is by far the most common milk
>>> in the U.S.), a lot of people are just on the "milk is bad" bandwagon.
>>>
>>> My husband and I are drinking more milk now than ever (possibly even
>>> more than when we were children), but two people can only do so much
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I realize a lot of people on RFC don't like dairy milk or claim to be
>> lactose intolerant. Whatever. I happen to like milk. I drink it, I
>> cook with it. I don't quite understand the nut milk bandwagon. If you
>> read the labels, it's mostly water and sugar. There's practically no
>> nutritional value. They have to pump it full of stuff to make it taste
>> like anything. For the label-conscious:
>>
>> Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Contains Less Than 2%
>> Of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate,
>> Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower
>> Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Freshness).

> Not sure why you chose to pick such an unhealthy version of almond
> milk. This is one brand I buy:
>
> Filtered Water, Ground Whole Almonds (2.5%), Tapioca Starch, Mineral
> Salt (Calcium Carbonate [Ground Limestone]), Salt, Stabiliser
> (Carrageenan), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour.
> https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...ed-almond-milk
> It's not perfect, but the only alternative is to either buy it freshly
> made or make it yourself (which is time consuming and expensive).

I picked the first thing that came up in the list. I don't buy almond
milk or any other sort of plant based milk.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 5:27:45 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:

> I've been trying out different butters on home-made bread: basic store
> brand, cultured and a very expensive French cultured butter. The latter
> is delicious but too expensive to use in cakes and cookies.

I bought a small block of a French cultured butter a year or so ago. And
I agree it was delicious; I felt like I needed to keep it under lock and
key but you're right, it was expensive.

At the once-a-month golly whopper flea market at the fairgrounds here there
is a guy that brings in all sorts of food items from the Amish in Ohio. One
thing is their home churned butter which he gives out samples. Heavenly!
But it goes for $9 a pound and I'd want a police escort to my car after
buying in case I was mugged.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2019 4:37 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 4:20:46 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Too many almonds being milked.

>> LOL nut milks aren't milk.
>>
>> I, for one, would really miss Land O' Lakes butter.

> I've mainly switched to store-brand butter or Challenge butter
> if I have coupon. It's all grade AA and I can't tell the difference
> among them. Why pay double for Land o' Lakes?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Land O' Lakes is often on sale, but yes, I do buy the store brand sticks
of butter if it's less expensive.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 15:29:56 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 5:08:10 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> People are realising that milk's good for calves and babies, but
>> adults don't need it, unless they're stuck in the baby phase. Maybe
>> they weren't breast-fed long enough.
>>

>I posted this comment a week or so ago but I'll post it again.
>
>When I was a child milk was heavily advertised to 'grow strong bones and
>teeth' with a recommendation of at least 2 glasses of milk per day.
>
>Was this an effort by dairy farmers to increase their profits?? Probably.
>Was this an effort to by the AMA or the FDA to make sure American children
>did not suffer malnutrition that children in Europe probably did due to
>WWII? Probably.
>
>Either scenario certainly did no harm to any child's health. And if a
>person was unfortunate to have a lactose intolerance, then they just didn't
>drink milk. Enjoying milk is nothing to be ashamed of or for anyone to
>look down on someone who does like drinking it on a regular basis.

In a situation where malnutrition is a possibility, everything's
different. Then saturated fat besomes a good thing, and milk too. But
we have to go quite far back in the past to find such a situation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:12:32 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 1:01:48 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>>
>> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>>
>> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
>> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
>> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
>> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>>
>> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>> conventional white milk category."
>>

>I just read this a few minutes ago and it's a bit of a shocker, too.

Alta Dena Dairies in California.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 17:21:08 -0600, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 04:46:49 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>>> Not sure why you chose to pick such an unhealthy version of almond
>>> milk.

>> The biddy wanted to make a point so she filtered the information to
>> her advantage.
>>
>>> This is one brand I buy:
>>>
>>> Filtered Water, Ground Whole Almonds (2.5%), Tapioca Starch, Mineral
>>> Salt (Calcium Carbonate [Ground Limestone]), Salt, Stabiliser
>>> (Carrageenan), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour.
>>> https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...ed-almond-milk
>>> It's not perfect, but the only alternative is to either buy it freshly
>>> made or make it yourself (which is time consuming and expensive).

>> Almond milk with 2.5% almonds... And that mysterious "natural flavour"
>> again.
>>

>Druce, yoose whining again. They stole yoose thunder

'My guess' is that our resident dutch retard thinks almonds have tits,
or something. And that you don't need to use *water* and remove the
pulp to make almond milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:33:08 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-11-12 3:14 p.m., jay wrote:
>> On 11/12/19 2:29 PM, Je?us wrote:
>>> Indeed* I must have used gallons of milk as a kid, when I would eat
>>> 6 weetbixhttps://www.weetbix.com.au/* for breakfast and another 6
>>> after school and before dinner.

>> Now that is truly some nasty stuff!!! Taste bud defining.
>>
>> Appropriately named and owned by Sanitarium Wellness which is holy owned
>> by the Seventh Day Adventist Church NON PROFIT who pays zero taxes to
>> your government.
>>

>Those *******s once ran a mission to the aborigines but refused to feed
>the kids until they'd learned some religious tract or other. When they
>were found out, they were banned from running any mission.

That's xtians for you, the Mormons, Jehovah Witless and SDA seem to be
the worst of the lot in some respects.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/19 5:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
> In a situation where malnutrition is a possibility, everything's
> different. Then saturated fat besomes a good thing, and milk too. But
> we have to go quite far back in the past to find such a situation.

What is it you do that you could possibly no so little? Being highly
judgmental doesn't mean you actually have knowledge of anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 17:25:32 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 11/12/19 5:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> In a situation where malnutrition is a possibility, everything's
>> different. Then saturated fat besomes a good thing, and milk too. But
>> we have to go quite far back in the past to find such a situation.

>What is it you do that you could possibly no so little? Being highly
>judgmental doesn't mean you actually have knowledge of anything.

Lolwut?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2019 5:12 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 1:01:48 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout

>> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>>
>> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
>> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
>> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
>> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>>
>> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>> conventional white milk category."
>>

> I just read this a few minutes ago and it's a bit of a shocker, too.

We grew up and Land O'Lakes was always in the dairy case. Never thought
much about what they've done in the past or their brand. Just a shame
to see them belly up when you make good stuff. Reduced demand is a
factor but I guess they could not adjust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-12 5:23 p.m., Je�us wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:33:08 -0700, graham > wrote:

>>> Now that is truly some nasty stuff!!! Taste bud defining.
>>>
>>> Appropriately named and owned by Sanitarium Wellness which is holy owned
>>> by the Seventh Day Adventist Church NON PROFIT who pays zero taxes to
>>> your government.
>>>

>> Those *******s once ran a mission to the aborigines but refused to feed
>> the kids until they'd learned some religious tract or other. When they
>> were found out, they were banned from running any mission.

> That's xtians for you, the Mormons, Jehovah Witless and SDA seem to be
> the worst of the lot in some respects.

My grandfather, an honest and highly respected business man, warned me
to be very careful when dealing with religious people. By that he meant
fundamentalist protestants. "They will always try to screw you!" (not
his exact words but definitely the sentiment).
I have since found that advice to be correct with *very* few exceptions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-12 4:56 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/12/2019 4:46 PM, Je�us wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:30:26 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I realize a lot of people on RFC don't like dairy milk or claim to be
>>> lactose intolerant.Â* Whatever.Â* I happen to like milk.Â* I drink it, I
>>> cook with it.Â* I don't quite understand the nut milk bandwagon.Â* If you
>>> read the labels, it's mostly water and sugar.Â* There's practically no
>>> nutritional value.Â* They have to pump it full of stuff to make it taste
>>> like anything.Â* For the label-conscious:
>>>
>>> Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Contains Less Than 2%
>>> Of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate,
>>> Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower
>>> Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect
>>> Freshness).

>> Not sure why you chose to pick such an unhealthy version of almond
>> milk. This is one brand I buy:
>>
>> Filtered Water, Ground Whole Almonds (2.5%), Tapioca Starch, Mineral
>> Salt (Calcium Carbonate [Ground Limestone]), Salt, Stabiliser
>> (Carrageenan), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour.
>> https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...ed-almond-milk
>>
>> It's not perfect, but the only alternative is to either buy it freshly
>> made or make it yourself (which is time consuming and expensive).
>>

> I picked the first thing that came up in the list.Â* I don't buy almond
> milk or any other sort of plant based milk.
>
> Jill

Particularly when you see the amount of water used in the almond orchards!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-12 12:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>

> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>
> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>
> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
> conventional white milk category."

They'll eventually blame the Canadian dairy lobby.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:43:17 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-11-12 5:23 p.m., Je?us wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:33:08 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> Those *******s once ran a mission to the aborigines but refused to feed
>>> the kids until they'd learned some religious tract or other. When they
>>> were found out, they were banned from running any mission.

>> That's xtians for you, the Mormons, Jehovah Witless and SDA seem to be
>> the worst of the lot in some respects.
>>

>My grandfather, an honest and highly respected business man, warned me
>to be very careful when dealing with religious people. By that he meant
>fundamentalist protestants. "They will always try to screw you!" (not
>his exact words but definitely the sentiment).
>I have since found that advice to be correct with *very* few exceptions.

Fundamentalist protestants are a scary lot. But then, aren't all
fundamentalists?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 18:25:48 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:00:43 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> In a situation where malnutrition is a possibility, everything's
>> different. Then saturated fat besomes a good thing, and milk too. But
>> we have to go quite far back in the past to find such a situation.
>>

>I'm no doctor but I don't think the need for calcium and the vitamins contained
>within milk ends at weaning. Whatever age a child is weaned is by no means the
>time they should be refused milk. Sure, a person can take vitamins and all
>sorts of supplements, but why when what is needed in a tasty glass of milk?
>If you don't like the taste or are intolerant, no problem. But don't look
>down your nose at millions of people who do enjoy a cold glass of moo juice
>because you think it is childish.

Drink it until you're done growing. And I don't look down on milk
drinkers. But people who prefer a glass of milk over of a glass of
wine with their dinner are, of course barbarians.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Drink it until you're done growing. And I don't look down on milk
> drinkers. But people who prefer a glass of milk over of a glass of
> wine with their dinner are, of course barbarians.

milk doesn't make me sick, wine often will.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> I savour mine on plain bread. But you are right, the big price
> difference can only be justified if it is a very occasional, special
> treat:-)

used in shortbread cookies is where i may want to
try some sometime.

songbird