Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Milk bankruptcy

On 2019-11-13, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> I thought it was their primary loss leader. I can't imagine my
> supermarket makes much selling milk for $1.99/gallon.

Seeing as the dairy farmer is getting about $0.15usd per "pasturized" gal (on a
good day!), where do you think the diff is made?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 2:49:48 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-11-13, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> > I thought it was their primary loss leader. I can't imagine my
> > supermarket makes much selling milk for $1.99/gallon.

> Seeing as the dairy farmer is getting about $0.15usd per "pasturized" gal (on a
> good day!), where do you think the diff is made?
>
> nb

They're paid something like $1.32 for a gallon of milk. Sadly, it costs
something like $1.92 to produce that gallon.

<https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/best-advice-u-s-dairy-farmers-sell-out-fast-you-n887941>

These figures are somewhat over a year old.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The milk I buy is Dairy Pure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 00:31:29 -0500, songbird > wrote:

>> milk doesn't make me sick, wine often will.

> Moderation, SB, moderation

no, sulfides/sulfites, even in small amounts. ugh...
like caffiene i've found out that in general my body and
life do ok with out alcohol. once in a while a dessert
drink is ok, but otherwise i don't regularly imbibe.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-11-13 10:52 a.m., graham wrote:

>> I remember my first taste of yoghurt and thought it was vile. I now have
>> more than a kilo of the stuff in the fridge.

> It takes a bit of getting used to. I still can't eat it straight. If I
> have regular yogurt I put some fruit or a little honey on it. My wife
> keeps buying vanilla yogurt. I usually only eat it because it's there.
> Then when it is finally used up she goes out and gets more for me.

to me a good whole milk yogurt is close enough to sour
cream that we use it for that in most places. i don't
like sweetened yogurts much, the only exception i've
found so far is that once in a while i like some sriracha
sauce on it with some sprinkled sugar added.

and, it's really good to make tzatziki sauce with a
good yogurt.

we used to eat several gallons a month of plain yogurt
but i'm really reducing calories as much as i can so i've
cut back on a lot of things. now i may eat a quart a
month. i used to make my own and that was really good.

> I have to admit that I once had a very pleasant yogurt experience. It
> was the first almost solid meal I had after heart surgery. They had
> brought me some low fat, no sugar yogurt. It was soft and cool and
> required no effort to chew.

glad you made it through in the end...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:01:48 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>
> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>
> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>
> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
> conventional white milk category."

My guess is that in the future, the milk cow will mostly exist in zoos. The kids will get a kick from seeing a real cow in the zoo. Why milk a cow when you can just make milk in a lab?

https://realvegancheese.org
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 12:07:49 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:50:40 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I like milk with some dinner items but not all. Wine is not even in the house.
> >I don't think it's ever been in this abode. But I have vinegar and for _me_
> >they're one and the same.

> Then there's something wrong with your taste buds.

Wine was not a beverage that was in the house much less served. No
development for a taste of it and not a great fan of wine cooked in
foods either.

I don't get the appeal since I'm not a partaker. I see people drink wine
and you'd think they just had a hit of cocaine. I drink it and my face
screws up like I'd just downed a glass pickling vinegar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 12:07:49 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:50:40 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I like milk with some dinner items but not all. Wine is not even in the house.
>> >I don't think it's ever been in this abode. But I have vinegar and for _me_
>> >they're one and the same.

>> Then there's something wrong with your taste buds.
>>

>Wine was not a beverage that was in the house much less served. No
>development for a taste of it and not a great fan of wine cooked in
>foods either.
>
>I don't get the appeal since I'm not a partaker. I see people drink wine
>and you'd think they just had a hit of cocaine. I drink it and my face
>screws up like I'd just downed a glass pickling vinegar.

Are you sure it hadn't gone off and wasn't overly cheap? Not saying
that you have to like wine, but if it was that sour, one has to wonder
what was wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 4:30:44 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 12:07:49 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:50:40 -0800 (PST), "

> >> Then there's something wrong with your taste buds.
> >>

> >Wine was not a beverage that was in the house much less served. No
> >development for a taste of it and not a great fan of wine cooked in
> >foods either.
> >
> >I don't get the appeal since I'm not a partaker. I see people drink wine
> >and you'd think they just had a hit of cocaine. I drink it and my face
> >screws up like I'd just downed a glass pickling vinegar.

> Are you sure it hadn't gone off and wasn't overly cheap? Not saying
> that you have to like wine, but if it was that sour, one has to wonder
> what was wrong.

Perhaps her taste buds are sensitized differently from yours.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 3:30:44 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I don't get the appeal since I'm not a partaker. I see people drink wine
> >and you'd think they just had a hit of cocaine. I drink it and my face
> >screws up like I'd just downed a glass pickling vinegar.

> Are you sure it hadn't gone off and wasn't overly cheap? Not saying
> that you have to like wine, but if it was that sour, one has to wonder
> what was wrong.

Well, if everybody else partaking of the grape is in an orgasmic state and
I think it tastes like vinegar then no, it's not gone off. Nor was the
wine cheap; far from it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:26:15 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 3:30:44 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I don't get the appeal since I'm not a partaker. I see people drink wine
>> >and you'd think they just had a hit of cocaine. I drink it and my face
>> >screws up like I'd just downed a glass pickling vinegar.

>> Are you sure it hadn't gone off and wasn't overly cheap? Not saying
>> that you have to like wine, but if it was that sour, one has to wonder
>> what was wrong.
>>

>Well, if everybody else partaking of the grape is in an orgasmic state and
>I think it tastes like vinegar then no, it's not gone off. Nor was the
>wine cheap; far from it.

Then it must be a fact that you can't tell wine from vinegar. There
are worse afflictions, I guess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 6:09:02 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:26:15 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Well, if everybody else partaking of the grape is in an orgasmic state and
> >I think it tastes like vinegar then no, it's not gone off. Nor was the
> >wine cheap; far from it.

> Then it must be a fact that you can't tell wine from vinegar. There
> are worse afflictions, I guess.

Yes, I could be doomed to wearing wooden shoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 16:29:54 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 6:09:02 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:26:15 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Well, if everybody else partaking of the grape is in an orgasmic state and
>> >I think it tastes like vinegar then no, it's not gone off. Nor was the
>> >wine cheap; far from it.

>> Then it must be a fact that you can't tell wine from vinegar. There
>> are worse afflictions, I guess.
>>

>Yes, I could be doomed to wearing wooden shoes.

Wait long enough and it will be trendy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>Wine was not a beverage that was in the house much less served. No
>development for a taste of it and not a great fan of wine cooked in
>foods either.
>
>I don't get the appeal since I'm not a partaker. I see people drink wine
>and you'd think they just had a hit of cocaine. I drink it and my face
>screws up like I'd just downed a glass pickling vinegar.

I'm not a fan of wine either, tried all kinds on and off over the
years... but nope. I did use it in cooking for a few years but the
novelty eventually wore off. I enjoy a lager beer with certain spicy
Thai foods, but that's about it these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 08:24:43 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>Wine was not a beverage that was in the house much less served. No
>>development for a taste of it and not a great fan of wine cooked in
>>foods either.
>>
>>I don't get the appeal since I'm not a partaker. I see people drink wine
>>and you'd think they just had a hit of cocaine. I drink it and my face
>>screws up like I'd just downed a glass pickling vinegar.

>I'm not a fan of wine either, tried all kinds on and off over the
>years... but nope. I did use it in cooking for a few years but the
>novelty eventually wore off. I enjoy a lager beer with certain spicy
>Thai foods, but that's about it these days.

One needs slightly more advanced tastebuds to appreciate wine. I
wouldn't expect you to like it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/19 6:25 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 08:24:43 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>

>> I'm not a fan of wine either, tried all kinds on and off over the
>> years... but nope. I did use it in cooking for a few years but the
>> novelty eventually wore off. I enjoy a lager beer with certain spicy
>> Thai foods, but that's about it these days.

> One needs slightly more advanced tastebuds to appreciate wine. I
> wouldn't expect you to like it

Too much Weetabix.. just popped an Artemis Cab does not taste like vinegar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 14:26:15 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 3:30:44 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), "

>>> Are you sure it hadn't gone off and wasn't overly cheap? Not saying
>>> that you have to like wine, but if it was that sour, one has to wonder
>>> what was wrong.
>>>

>> Well, if everybody else partaking of the grape is in an orgasmic state and
>> I think it tastes like vinegar then no, it's not gone off. Nor was the
>> wine cheap; far from it.

> Then it must be a fact that you can't tell wine from vinegar. There
> are worse afflictions, I guess.

Hahahahahaha ... Yes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 19:10:17 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 11/13/19 6:25 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 08:24:43 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not a fan of wine either, tried all kinds on and off over the
>>> years... but nope. I did use it in cooking for a few years but the
>>> novelty eventually wore off. I enjoy a lager beer with certain spicy
>>> Thai foods, but that's about it these days.

>> One needs slightly more advanced tastebuds to appreciate wine. I
>> wouldn't expect you to like it
>>

>Too much Weetabix.. just popped an Artemis Cab does not taste like vinegar.

I believe that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:17:15 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Or not being able to tell the difference between shit and shinola.

I wonder if the little Dutch boy knows what that saying means?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 19:29:23 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:17:15 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> Or not being able to tell the difference between shit and shinola.
>>

>I wonder if the little Dutch boy knows what that saying means?

A great song from Shinola!
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBkm6g_nuc>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>
> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>
> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit fell
> 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>
> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk and
> dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land O'Lakes, has
> blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the conventional white
> milk category."

Wow! I didn't know they made all those brands! I rarely buy milk for myself.
I don't drink it. I use powdered for cooking/baking unless I know in advance
that I'll be making something and then I might buy it.

The person who was living here drank tons of milk but he is gone now. So
I'll be back to not buying it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 19:10:17 -0700, jay > wrote:

>On 11/13/19 6:25 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 08:24:43 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not a fan of wine either, tried all kinds on and off over the
>>> years... but nope. I did use it in cooking for a few years but the
>>> novelty eventually wore off. I enjoy a lager beer with certain spicy
>>> Thai foods, but that's about it these days.

>> One needs slightly more advanced tastebuds to appreciate wine. I
>> wouldn't expect you to like it
>>

>Too much Weetabix.. just popped an Artemis Cab does not taste like vinegar.

You still all butt hurt? I don't think I have eaten 'weetabix' since
circa 1976.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:18:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 19:40:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> >> Well, if everybody else partaking of the grape is in an orgasmic state and
> >> I think it tastes like vinegar then no, it's not gone off. Nor was the
> >> wine cheap; far from it.
> >>

> >I know a person that despises chocolate too. I also know people that
> >like liver. Many people have taste that is different than the majority.
> > Would be no fun if we were all the same.

> The point wasn't that Joan doesn't like wine, but that she can't
> distinguish wine from vinegar.

There are people who can't distinguish cilantro from soap, but I don't
judge them. It's how their nervous system is wired, and something
over which they have no control. You can't choose your parents, and
you can't choose your taste buds.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:26:01 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 08:24:43 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:06:51 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Wine was not a beverage that was in the house much less served. No
> >>development for a taste of it and not a great fan of wine cooked in
> >>foods either.
> >>
> >>I don't get the appeal since I'm not a partaker. I see people drink wine
> >>and you'd think they just had a hit of cocaine. I drink it and my face
> >>screws up like I'd just downed a glass pickling vinegar.

> >I'm not a fan of wine either, tried all kinds on and off over the
> >years... but nope. I did use it in cooking for a few years but the
> >novelty eventually wore off. I enjoy a lager beer with certain spicy
> >Thai foods, but that's about it these days.

> One needs slightly more advanced tastebuds to appreciate wine. I
> wouldn't expect you to like it

It's not about being "advanced". You're like those idiots who say that
people are more evolved than worms. Every animal on the planet is equally
evolved. Everybody's taste buds are equally advanced.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/19 11:32 AM, notbob wrote:
> Did you know the stprmkt's primary
> profit maker IS milk!

I serious doubt that since there are so many other items with greater
markup potential.

When they just slice and dice something and repackage the price can be
exorbitant in relation to buying the item and just cutting it up yourself.

If you just consider the investment, labor, transportation, packaging
and advertisement cost, it is quite amazing that you can buy a gallon of
milk for under 10$.

A quick google list show 14 of the most profitable grocery store items
and milk doesn't show up there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> The person who was living here drank tons of milk but he is gone now. So
> I'll be back to not buying it.

Your live-in gardener left you? Did he take his dogs and goats
too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> One needs slightly more advanced tastebuds to appreciate wine.

LOL!@ ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2019 11:03 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> The person who was living here drank tons of milk but he is gone now. So
>> I'll be back to not buying it.

> Your live-in gardener left you? Did he take his dogs and goats
> too?

That was my first thought, Gary. But she could also be talking about
her ex-husband. She enjoys dropping hints to make us guess.

If you (the collective you) don't drink milk, it only makes sense not to
buy it until you need it for a specific recipe.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 03:21:37 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:26:01 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 08:24:43 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm not a fan of wine either, tried all kinds on and off over the
>> >years... but nope. I did use it in cooking for a few years but the
>> >novelty eventually wore off. I enjoy a lager beer with certain spicy
>> >Thai foods, but that's about it these days.

>> One needs slightly more advanced tastebuds to appreciate wine. I
>> wouldn't expect you to like it

>It's not about being "advanced". You're like those idiots who say that
>people are more evolved than worms. Every animal on the planet is equally
>evolved. Everybody's taste buds are equally advanced.

No, they're not. And people aren't equally advanced either. Some call
you an idiot when they disagree with you. Just an example.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:38:58 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> One needs slightly more advanced tastebuds to appreciate wine.

>LOL!@ ;-D

Think of the bogan (redneck) who only likes beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 12:08:54 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/14/2019 11:03 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> The person who was living here drank tons of milk but he is gone now. So
>>> I'll be back to not buying it.

>> Your live-in gardener left you? Did he take his dogs and goats
>> too?
>>

>That was my first thought, Gary. But she could also be talking about
>her ex-husband. She enjoys dropping hints to make us guess.

Ask her. She's here.

>If you (the collective you) don't drink milk, it only makes sense not to
>buy it until you need it for a specific recipe.

The things I learn here!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 4:26:43 AM UTC-10, jay wrote:
> On 11/13/19 11:32 AM, notbob wrote:
> > Did you know the stprmkt's primary
> > profit maker IS milk!

> I serious doubt that since there are so many other items with greater
> markup potential.
>
> When they just slice and dice something and repackage the price can be
> exorbitant in relation to buying the item and just cutting it up yourself..
>
> If you just consider the investment, labor, transportation, packaging
> and advertisement cost, it is quite amazing that you can buy a gallon of
> milk for under 10$.
>
> A quick google list show 14 of the most profitable grocery store items
> and milk doesn't show up there.

Milk is not a high profit item. It's a item that will motivate shoppers to enter the store for the purpose of fulfilling their milk requirements/fix/jones. A milk jones is a terrible thing to witness. The stores will price milk to entice folk to come in and buy other crap. It's a proven strategy!

I like to buy the cheap milk. Currently, a good price would be 5 bucks a gallon. This is milk that's shipped over here. Milk from the local dairies would cost more. When we moved to California back in 78, I was shocked at the cheap milk. I thought the place was a cheap food heaven.

https://newfoodeconomy.org/local-che...aii-naked-cow/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-14 12:08 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/14/2019 11:03 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> The person who was living here drank tons of milk but he is gone now. So
>>> I'll be back to not buying it.

>> Your live-in gardener left you? Did he take his dogs and goats
>> too?
>>

> That was my first thought, Gary.Â* But she could also be talking about
> her ex-husband.Â* She enjoys dropping hints to make us guess.

Sad but true.

> If you (the collective you) don't drink milk, it only makes sense not to
> buy it until you need it for a specific recipe.

I use very little milk so I sometimes find myself finding a recipe to
use it up before it goes bad.