Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Milk bankruptcy

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:06:10 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> Drink it until you're done growing. And I don't look down on milk
> drinkers. But people who prefer a glass of milk over of a glass of
> wine with their dinner are, of course barbarians.

I like milk with some dinner items but not all. Wine is not even in the house.
I don't think it's ever been in this abode. But I have vinegar and for _me_
they're one and the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 00:31:29 -0500, songbird >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> Drink it until you're done growing. And I don't look down on milk
>> drinkers. But people who prefer a glass of milk over of a glass of
>> wine with their dinner are, of course barbarians.

> milk doesn't make me sick, wine often will.

Moderation, SB, moderation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:50:40 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:06:10 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Drink it until you're done growing. And I don't look down on milk
>> drinkers. But people who prefer a glass of milk over of a glass of
>> wine with their dinner are, of course barbarians.
>>

>I like milk with some dinner items but not all. Wine is not even in the house.
>I don't think it's ever been in this abode. But I have vinegar and for _me_
>they're one and the same.

Then there's something wrong with your taste buds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:01:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>
>Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>
>The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
>are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
>company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
>fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>
>The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>conventional white milk category."

Yeah yeah they say people are drinking less cows milk but I know the
truth. The cows are just sick and tired of having their juices sucked
out by machines, so they all went on strike.

The next thing you know the wheat companies will go out of business
because the gluten went on strike because it was not causing enough
cancer

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:08:10 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:12:32 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 1:01:48 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >>
> >> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
> >>
> >> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
> >>
> >> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
> >> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
> >> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
> >> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
> >>
> >> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
> >> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
> >> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
> >> conventional white milk category."
> >>

> >I just read this a few minutes ago and it's a bit of a shocker, too.

> People are realising that milk's good for calves and babies, but
> adults don't need it, unless they're stuck in the baby phase. Maybe
> they weren't breast-fed long enough.

Yet they buy the ersatz milk by the tanker-load. It's got nothing to
do with calves and babies. It's about what they enjoy and what they
believe to be healthy.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 6:04:26 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 04:46:49 +0700, Jeßus > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:30:26 -0500, jmcquown >
> >wrote:

> >>I realize a lot of people on RFC don't like dairy milk or claim to be
> >>lactose intolerant. Whatever. I happen to like milk. I drink it, I
> >>cook with it. I don't quite understand the nut milk bandwagon. If you
> >>read the labels, it's mostly water and sugar. There's practically no
> >>nutritional value. They have to pump it full of stuff to make it taste
> >>like anything. For the label-conscious:
> >>
> >>Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Cane Sugar, Contains Less Than 2%
> >>Of: Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate,
> >>Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower
> >>Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To Protect Freshness).

> >Not sure why you chose to pick such an unhealthy version of almond
> >milk.

> The biddy wanted to make a point so she filtered the information to
> her advantage.
>
> >This is one brand I buy:
> >
> >Filtered Water, Ground Whole Almonds (2.5%), Tapioca Starch, Mineral
> >Salt (Calcium Carbonate [Ground Limestone]), Salt, Stabiliser
> >(Carrageenan), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour.
> >https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/p...ed-almond-milk
> >It's not perfect, but the only alternative is to either buy it freshly
> >made or make it yourself (which is time consuming and expensive).

> Almond milk with 2.5% almonds... And that mysterious "natural flavour"
> again.

If it had more than 2.5% almonds it wouldn't be milk. It would be
slurry or porridge or something.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:46:01 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-11-12 12:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
>>

>> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>>
>> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
>> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
>> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
>> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>>
>> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>> conventional white milk category."

>They'll eventually blame the Canadian dairy lobby.

Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it. I don't know why he thinks he
has the right to change our system!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:07:45 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:50:40 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:06:10 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Drink it until you're done growing. And I don't look down on milk
>>> drinkers. But people who prefer a glass of milk over of a glass of
>>> wine with their dinner are, of course barbarians.
>>>

>>I like milk with some dinner items but not all. Wine is not even in the house.
>>I don't think it's ever been in this abode. But I have vinegar and for _me_
>>they're one and the same.

>Then there's something wrong with your taste buds.

All the more for us

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:07:42 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:46:01 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
> >On 2019-11-12 12:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >> https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout
> >>

> >> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
> >>
> >> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
> >> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
> >> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
> >> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
> >>
> >> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
> >> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
> >> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
> >> conventional white milk category."

> >They'll eventually blame the Canadian dairy lobby.

> Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
> it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
> not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it. I don't know why he thinks he
> has the right to change our system!!

Tariffs are good only if the U.S. is imposing them. And Welfare for
U.S. dairy farmers has always been ok, even when Welfare for dairy
consumers (e.g., poor children) is evil.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:23:17 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:07:42 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> > >They'll eventually blame the Canadian dairy lobby.

> > Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
> > it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
> > not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it. I don't know why he thinks he
> > has the right to change our system!!

> Tariffs are good only if the U.S. is imposing them. And Welfare for
> U.S. dairy farmers has always been ok, even when Welfare for dairy
> consumers (e.g., poor children) is evil.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

In the last election, our new political party the PPC wants to end corporate welfare. They are more of a free enterprise party(not libertarian). The voters didn't like it, and they only got 290K votes. They are also interested in a balanced budget, but who needs that when you can have endless spending.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:28:18 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:23:17 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
> > > it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
> > > not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it. I don't know why he thinks he
> > > has the right to change our system!!

> > Tariffs are good only if the U.S. is imposing them. And Welfare for
> > U.S. dairy farmers has always been ok, even when Welfare for dairy
> > consumers (e.g., poor children) is evil.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> In the last election, our new political party the PPC wants to end corporate welfare. They are more of a free enterprise party(not libertarian). The voters didn't like it, and they only got 290K votes. They are also interested in a balanced budget, but who needs that when you can have endless spending.

I think all our politicians have given up on the deficit, and corporate welfare
buys them votes.

However, if a Democrat is elected President the Republicans will be happy to
whine about the deficits again.

We've got either Tax and Spend Democrats or Slash Taxes and Spend Republicans.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 05:23:11 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:07:42 AM UTC-5, wrote:

>> >They'll eventually blame the Canadian dairy lobby.

>> Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
>> it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
>> not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it. I don't know why he thinks he
>> has the right to change our system!!

>Tariffs are good only if the U.S. is imposing them. And Welfare for
>U.S. dairy farmers has always been ok, even when Welfare for dairy
>consumers (e.g., poor children) is evil.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I think many people here feel like me. We have always had a regulated
dairy system, farmers can't just get bigger and bigger until they
produce more milk than they can sell, it has worked well enough for us
and our dairy farmers and we don't want to be ordered to change.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 05:36:22 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 8:28:18 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

>> > Tariffs are good only if the U.S. is imposing them. And Welfare for
>> > U.S. dairy farmers has always been ok, even when Welfare for dairy
>> > consumers (e.g., poor children) is evil.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> In the last election, our new political party the PPC wants to end corporate welfare. They are more of a free enterprise party(not libertarian). The voters didn't like it, and they only got 290K votes. They are also interested in a balanced budget, but who needs that when you can have endless spending.

>I think all our politicians have given up on the deficit, and corporate welfare
>buys them votes.
>
>However, if a Democrat is elected President the Republicans will be happy to
>whine about the deficits again.
>
>We've got either Tax and Spend Democrats or Slash Taxes and Spend Republicans.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I prefer the democrats mostly because when republicans spend, it is on
themselves and their wealthy friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2019 8:07 AM, wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:46:01 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 2019-11-12 12:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout

>>> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.
>>>
>>> The 94-year-old company has struggled in recent years because Americans
>>> are drinking less cows milk. 2019 has been a particularly brutal: the
>>> company's sales tumbled 7% in the first half of the year, and profit
>>> fell 14%. Dean Foods stock has lost 80% this year
>>>
>>> The company, which makes some of the country's most recognizable milk
>>> and dairy products, including Dairy Pure, Organic Valley and Land
>>> O'Lakes, has blamed its struggles on the "accelerated decline in the
>>> conventional white milk category."

>> They'll eventually blame the Canadian dairy lobby.

> Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
> it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
> not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it. I don't know why he thinks he
> has the right to change our system!!

Why not? He is the smartest man in the world so you know his plan is
better. Once he buys Greenland your milk may come from there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-13 8:23 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
>> it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
>> not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it. I don't know why he thinks he
>> has the right to change our system!!

> Tariffs are good only if the U.S. is imposing them. And Welfare for
> U.S. dairy farmers has always been ok, even when Welfare for dairy
> consumers (e.g., poor children) is evil.

One of Trumpsters trade wars involved Canadian steel and aluminum,
imposed under the pretense of some national security bullshit. Canada
retaliated with similar tariffs against American steel products. They
eventually hammered out a deal but for a while the US was refusing to
consider dropping its tariffs on Canadian products until Canada dropped
its retaliatory tariffs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-13 10:52 a.m., graham wrote:
> On 2019-11-13 4:10 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> I don't care for cultured butter.Â* It always tasted spoiled.Â* I was
>> raised
>> on sweet butter, and that's pretty much it for me.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> I remember my first taste of yoghurt and thought it was vile. I now have
> more than a kilo of the stuff in the fridge.

It takes a bit of getting used to. I still can't eat it straight. If I
have regular yogurt I put some fruit or a little honey on it. My wife
keeps buying vanilla yogurt. I usually only eat it because it's there.
Then when it is finally used up she goes out and gets more for me.

I have to admit that I once had a very pleasant yogurt experience. It
was the first almost solid meal I had after heart surgery. They had
brought me some low fat, no sugar yogurt. It was soft and cool and
required no effort to chew.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2019 10:47 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/13/2019 8:07 AM, wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:46:01 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> On 2019-11-12 12:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout

>>> They'll eventually blame the Canadian dairy lobby.

>> Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
>> it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
>> not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it.Â* I don't know why he thinks he
>> has the right to change our system!!
>>

> Why not?Â* He is the smartest man in the world so you know his plan is
> better.Â* Once he buys Greenland your milk may come from there.

I think we can all agree Trump is a buffoon.

I'm a bit sad to hear this quintessential America Dairy provider is
going belly up after 94 years. They managed to make it through the
Depression, fer cryin' out loud.

As I mentioned upthread, I remember when they still delivered dairy
products in midtown Memphis. In the 1980's. They were right down the
street on Madison Avenue. No one else offered home delivery. No, I did
not avail myself of it but I knew it was available.

The apartment building I lived in at the time even had a small door that
opened from the butler's pantry onto the shared hallway. So the milkman
could drop off milk, cream, butter, just slide it in. It was like a
pet-door. LOL The apartment building was built around 1920. That was a
nifty apartment.

I digress. It's rather sad to hear an old business is going away.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-13 11:43 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/13/2019 10:49 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
>>> it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
>>> not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it.Â* I don't know why he thinks he
>>> has the right to change our system!!
>>>

>> The Canadian system is designed to match production to demand in order
>> to maintain a viable dairy industry.Â* The US non system is aimed a
>> producing as much as possible.Â* That results in an unstable market
>> where the price often drops to the point where farmers can no longer
>> afford to feed and care for their herds properly.Â* Trump wanted us to
>> drop tariffs on American milk so that they can dump their excess
>> product here. That will destabilize our milk industry.
>>

> We take some of that excess milk, make cheese, then pay to store it in
> warehouses.Â* Not sure where that stands now since Reagan gave away tons
> of it.Â* The whole system stinks though.
>
> We also have dairy farmers that have been in the business for
> generations and feel entitled even if there is less demand for their
> product.Â* I guess they like the government subsidies.

It is annoying as hell for us to have Trump trying to dictate how we
should manage our market when the US is paying huge subsidies to
American farmers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 10:47:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/13/2019 8:07 AM, wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:46:01 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>
>>> On 2019-11-12 12:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...id=mailsignout

>>> They'll eventually blame the Canadian dairy lobby.

>> Since Trump would not agree that we could maintain our dairy system as
>> it had always been run, I now will not buy a dairy product that does
>> not have a Canadian dairy symbol on it. I don't know why he thinks he
>> has the right to change our system!!
>>

>Why not? He is the smartest man in the world so you know his plan is
>better. Once he buys Greenland your milk may come from there.

Better yet, maybe the Ukraine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 10:52:47 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> On 2019-11-13 4:10 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I've been trying out different butters on home-made bread: basic store
> >> brand, cultured and a very expensive French cultured butter. The latter
> >> is delicious but too expensive to use in cakes and cookies.

> > I don't care for cultured butter. It always tasted spoiled. I was raised
> > on sweet butter, and that's pretty much it for me.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I remember my first taste of yoghurt and thought it was vile. I now have
> more than a kilo of the stuff in the fridge.

I like yogurt. I like all kinds of cultured milk products. Just not
cultured butter.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> And I don't look down on milk
> drinkers. But people who prefer a glass of milk over of a glass of
> wine with their dinner are, of course barbarians.

Too funny! lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce presented the following whine :
> Yes, many UK'ers are afraid of the low US food standards they'll have
> to accept after their "special" post Brexit deal with the US.

A very large part of the world counts on the great USA for food
production, you butthurt whining Aussie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-13 11:09 a.m., Casa de Masa wrote:
> Bruce presented the following whine :
>> Yes, many UK'ers are afraid of the low US food standards they'll have
>> to accept after their "special" post Brexit deal with the US.
>>

> A very large part of the world counts on the great USA for food
> production,

Which explains why there is so much Chinese produce in the supermarkets:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham laid this down on his screen :
> On 2019-11-13 11:09 a.m., Casa de Masa wrote:
>> Bruce presented the following whine :
>>> Yes, many UK'ers are afraid of the low US food standards they'll have
>>> to accept after their "special" post Brexit deal with the US.
>>>

>> A very large part of the world counts on the great USA for food
>> production,

> Which explains why there is so much Chinese produce in the supermarkets:-)

How does it explain that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:09:40 -0500, Casa de Masa >
wrote:

>Bruce presented the following whine :
>> Yes, many UK'ers are afraid of the low US food standards they'll have
>> to accept after their "special" post Brexit deal with the US.
>>

>A very large part of the world counts on the great USA for food
>production, you butthurt whining Aussie.

I see American cherries and walnuts here in the supermarket.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-12, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.

About damn time!

The milk industry has had it too good for too long. Sure, the
farmer's get next to zilch fer their product/hard work, but it's yer
stprmkt's fault fer charging so damn much. Did you know the stprmkt's primary
profit maker IS milk!

Everyone! ....needs cow's milk, right?

Prolly not.

I use it, half n' half to supplement my blueberry smoothies. I don't
need to. I could "milk a nut (BTDT)", but I do. Fer some things,
it's jes right (country gravy (evap milk), some baked goods, etc), fer others,
"nut milk" will do.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce brought next idea :
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:09:40 -0500, Casa de Masa >
> wrote:
>
>> Bruce presented the following whine :
>>> Yes, many UK'ers are afraid of the low US food standards they'll have
>>> to accept after their "special" post Brexit deal with the US.
>>>

>> A very large part of the world counts on the great USA for food
>> production, you butthurt whining Aussie.

> I see American cherries and walnuts here in the supermarket.

I'm very proud of you, and the USA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:33:17 -0500, Casa de Masa >
wrote:

>Bruce brought next idea :
>> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 13:09:40 -0500, Casa de Masa >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Bruce presented the following whine :
>>>>
>>> A very large part of the world counts on the great USA for food
>>> production, you butthurt whining Aussie.

>> I see American cherries and walnuts here in the supermarket.
>>

>I'm very proud of you, and the USA.

That makes two of us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-13, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I guess they like the government subsidies.

Be nice, now, Ed!

Don't want the "Trump" police on yer ass.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 1:32:47 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-11-12, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > Dean Foods, America's largest milk producer, is filing for bankruptcy.

> About damn time!
>
> The milk industry has had it too good for too long. Sure, the
> farmer's get next to zilch fer their product/hard work, but it's yer
> stprmkt's fault fer charging so damn much. Did you know the stprmkt's primary
> profit maker IS milk!

I thought it was their primary loss leader. I can't imagine my
supermarket makes much selling milk for $1.99/gallon.

> Everyone! ....needs cow's milk, right?

Need, no. Enjoy, yes.

Cindy Hamilton