Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking show

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 17:03:39 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 6:58:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> Like a 1 off $50 for chromecasting? Doesn't get cheaper than that!
>>

>My TV is not set up for streaming of any sort.

I bought a Chromecast thingie, stuck it in the TV, switch the TV to
HDTV3 or whatever it's called, play the thing I want to watch in
Chrome or Videolan and tell it to cast to the Chromecast thingie. One
happy couch potato.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Wilson_(chef)

>I wish I could see re-runs. I enjoyed his show.
>Janet

I don't see them either, our cable doesn't offer the old cooking
shows. We only get the new shows that are awful... I'm not going to
watch some imecils running aroune a market filling a cart with crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:18:14 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 17:03:39 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >My TV is not set up for streaming of any sort.

> I bought a Chromecast thingie, stuck it in the TV, switch the TV to
> HDTV3 or whatever it's called, play the thing I want to watch in
> Chrome or Videolan and tell it to cast to the Chromecast thingie. One
> happy couch potato.

Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:45:51 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> On 2019-07-01 4:41 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > It's foreign for me, and my taxes are already going to TV Ontario, which
> > runs has similar programming, not to mention the CBC, which has become
> > the propaganda wing of the Liberal government.
> >

> That's good because all the commercial stations shill for the ****ing
> conservatives!

Really? Name me one or two so I can tune in and see what their conservative
agenda programming is like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 12:11:30 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 7/1/2019 8:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 7/1/2019 9:16 AM, Gary wrote:
> >> Has anyone heard of or watched this on PBS?
> >>
> >> Kevin Belton New Orleans Cooking.
> >> https://kevinbelton.wyes.org/recipes/
> >>
> >> I just happened upon his show a few weeks ago and I really like
> >> it. Nice likable personality and I like many (but not all of his
> >> recipes). Very outgoing person. I enjoy watching and he's
> >> actually on most days.
> >>
> >> Nice and refreshing to watch a real cooking show vs constant
> >> competition cooking game shows.
> >>

> > Yes, I watch his show when I remember to look for it.* He seems like
> > personable guy and the food he cooks is interesting.* He doesn't need
> > some silly catch phrase like Emeril Legasse (BAM!) to make it fun to
> > watch.
> >
> > Jill

> * Sitting here trying to remember who that Cajun chef was that liked to
> swill wine while cooking . He was a humorous guy in addition to
> presenting some interesting dishes .
>
> --
> Snag
> Yes , I'm old
> and crochety - and armed .
> Get outta my woods !

Justin Wilson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs

Justin was one of my Cooking Instructors back when cooking shows USED to teach us how to cook! Now it's all just a bunch of GODDAMNED DRAMA!! Iron Chef CRAP!! :-(

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist, Etc...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:45:38 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:18:14 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 17:03:39 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >My TV is not set up for streaming of any sort.

>> I bought a Chromecast thingie, stuck it in the TV, switch the TV to
>> HDTV3 or whatever it's called, play the thing I want to watch in
>> Chrome or Videolan and tell it to cast to the Chromecast thingie. One
>> happy couch potato.
>>

>Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
>Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
>it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?

I don't use all that stuff. If I want to see something, I get it from
the Internet and watch it on my monitor or cast it to my TV.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:37:49 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>> On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:18:14 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 17:03:39 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> I bought a Chromecast thingie, stuck it in the TV, switch the TV to
>>> HDTV3 or whatever it's called, play the thing I want to watch in
>>> Chrome or Videolan and tell it to cast to the Chromecast thingie. One
>>> happy couch potato.
>>>

>> Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
>> Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
>> it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?
>>

>For the most part, you cannot stream paid cable channels with a
>Chromecast. Chromecast is mostly just an object to stream Netflix or Amazon
>Prime services. Most cable channels that stream verify your identity
>through your cable provider login, so theyre a dead end unless you pay for
>cable (or dish).

Huh? I can download a movie from the Internet and cast it to our TV.
I've never used Netflix or Amazon Prime.

>That said, you should check out Sling. It has 2 channel lineup packages
>(orange or blue, or both) to choose from and they offer several of the
>channels you list above. The cost is far less than cable or dish. However,
>unless you only want to watch it on your computer you will need a smart TV
>or a device to stream it (Roku, Amazon Fire stick, Chromecast). If your tv
>has an HDMI port thats all you need to use these devices.

We don't have any packages or channels or costs, but I can see
everything I want.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 20:44:49 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 12:11:30 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

>> > Yes, I watch his show when I remember to look for it.* He seems like
>> > personable guy and the food he cooks is interesting.* He doesn't need
>> > some silly catch phrase like Emeril Legasse (BAM!) to make it fun to
>> > watch.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> * Sitting here trying to remember who that Cajun chef was that liked to
>> swill wine while cooking . He was a humorous guy in addition to
>> presenting some interesting dishes .
>>
>> --
>> Snag
>> Yes , I'm old
>> and crochety - and armed .
>> Get outta my woods !

>Justin Wilson?
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs
>
>Justin was one of my Cooking Instructors back when cooking shows USED to teach us how to cook! Now it's all just a bunch of GODDAMNED DRAMA!! Iron Chef CRAP!! :-(

Iron Chef was good. Iron Chef America was crap. As was to be expected.
Cheap, tasteless, embarrassing... in short, American.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 10:56:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:45:38 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
> >Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
> >it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?

> I don't use all that stuff. If I want to see something, I get it from
> the Internet and watch it on my monitor or cast it to my TV.

I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 10:56:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:45:38 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
>> >Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
>> >it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?

>> I don't use all that stuff. If I want to see something, I get it from
>> the Internet and watch it on my monitor or cast it to my TV.
>>

>I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.

The whole idea of subscription is obsolete to me. I can't think of
anything that I'm missing out on because I don't have a
"subscription".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 9:37:52 PM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>

> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
>>> Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
>>> it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?
>>>

>> For the most part, you cannot stream paid cable channels with a
>> Chromecast. Chromecast is mostly just an object to stream Netflix or Amazon
>> Prime services. Most cable channels that stream verify your identity
>> through your cable provider login, so theyre a dead end unless you pay for
>> cable (or dish).
>>
>> That said, you should check out Sling. It has 2 channel lineup packages
>> (orange or blue, or both) to choose from and they offer several of the
>> channels you list above. The cost is far less than cable or dish. However,
>> unless you only want to watch it on your computer you will need a smart TV
>> or a device to stream it (Roku, Amazon Fire stick, Chromecast). If your tv
>> has an HDMI port thats all you need to use these devices.
>>

> Ok, I do have HDMI ports on my TV but I think I'll just stick DirecTV and
> my 200, or there about, channels and DVR.

I forgot to add, you can add on DVR service with Sling, I think for about
$5 extra per month. I have Sling ($25 per month), and Im quite happy it
bridges the gap between paying $100s for cable or going cord free with no
access to favorite cable tv channels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:37:49 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> > wrote:

>>> Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
>>> Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
>>> it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?
>>>

>> For the most part, you cannot stream paid cable channels with a
>> Chromecast. Chromecast is mostly just an object to stream Netflix or Amazon
>> Prime services. Most cable channels that stream verify your identity
>> through your cable provider login, so theyre a dead end unless you pay for
>> cable (or dish).

> Huh? I can download a movie from the Internet and cast it to our TV.
> I've never used Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Right, but whether you stream a movie from the internet or through Netflix,
its mostly the same. What i meant was youre not going to be able to
stream traditional paid (US) cable company channels through it (HGTV,
Food Network, History Channel, etc.).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:28:37 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Bruce > wrote:

>>> I use chromecasting too. The only problem is that I can't pause the
>>> program with the remote. I have to walk all the way to the computer
>>>

>> The Roku and Amazon Fire Stick both put the Chromecast to shame.

> I don't know what the Chromecast thingie could do more or better than
> it does.

Why use three devices (laptop, Chromecast, and TV) to watch a movie on TV
when you can use two (Roku and TV), and not have to get up and go to go
pause the program on your laptop because it doesnt have a remote? I just
have to sit down, turn on the tv, and use the remote for my device, same as
I would the tv remote.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 06:12:24 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:28:37 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>>> The Roku and Amazon Fire Stick both put the Chromecast to shame.

>> I don't know what the Chromecast thingie could do more or better than
>> it does.
>>

>Why use three devices (laptop, Chromecast, and TV) to watch a movie on TV
>when you can use two (Roku and TV), and not have to get up and go to go
>pause the program on your laptop because it doesnt have a remote? I just
>have to sit down, turn on the tv, and use the remote for my device, same as
>I would the tv remote.

The Chromecast sits in the side of the TV but I don't have to touch it
or anything, so it's really only 2 devices. TV and PC.

I don't know what a Roku is or does. Does it require a subscription?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 06:06:50 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:

>>> For the most part, you cannot stream paid cable channels with a
>>> Chromecast. Chromecast is mostly just an object to stream Netflix or Amazon
>>> Prime services. Most cable channels that stream verify your identity
>>> through your cable provider login, so theyre a dead end unless you pay for
>>> cable (or dish).

>> Huh? I can download a movie from the Internet and cast it to our TV.
>> I've never used Netflix or Amazon Prime.
>>

>Right, but whether you stream a movie from the internet or through Netflix,
>its mostly the same. What i meant was youre not going to be able to
>stream traditional paid (US) cable company channels through it (HGTV,
>Food Network, History Channel, etc.).

True, but I wouldn't watch those channels live anyway. If they've
shown a program I want to see -which doesn't really happen but anyway-
I'll download it from the Internet after they've shown it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 9:47:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:45:51 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-07-01 4:41 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > It's foreign for me, and my taxes are already going to TV Ontario, which
> > > runs has similar programming, not to mention the CBC, which has become
> > > the propaganda wing of the Liberal government.
> > >

> > That's good because all the commercial stations shill for the ****ing
> > conservatives!
> >

> Really? Name me one or two so I can tune in and see what their conservative
> agenda programming is like.

Anything owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group:

<http://sbgi.net/>

Here's the controversy:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group#Political_views>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 17:03:39 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 6:58:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> Like a 1 off $50 for chromecasting? Doesn't get cheaper than that!
>>

>My TV is not set up for streaming of any sort.

If it has a usb port on the back, you can plug in a chromecast. Even
though I had to buy an up to date TV to drop cable and go streaming, I
think I saw my money back in 2 1/2 months of not paying those cable
robbers
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:45:46 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-07-01 4:41 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> And they wonder why they are not receiving the funds they want when
>>> they do those quarterly fund drives!* I'm not sending money into
>>> purchase 50 year old programs.* They would counter with if they had
>>> more money they would not purchase 50 year old programs.* Uh-huh.

>> It's foreign for me, and my taxes are already going to TV Ontario, which
>> runs has similar programming, not to mention the CBC, which has become
>> the propaganda wing of the Liberal government.
>>

>That's good because all the commercial stations shill for the ****ing
>conservatives!

They had the gall to call me on my phone the other day looking for
donations! I told her she was invading my privacy and where did she
obtain the number, quick shift, apology and it won't happen again, it
bloody well better not!

Back when I did support them years ago, when they were true
Progressive Cons prior to the Reform Party taking them over, there
were no cell phones, so this number could not have been listed with
them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:45:38 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:18:14 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 17:03:39 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >My TV is not set up for streaming of any sort.

>> I bought a Chromecast thingie, stuck it in the TV, switch the TV to
>> HDTV3 or whatever it's called, play the thing I want to watch in
>> Chrome or Videolan and tell it to cast to the Chromecast thingie. One
>> happy couch potato.
>>

>Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
>Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
>it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?

I think you could get them, so stations will actually charge you but I
won't pay so I don't bother. I do pay less than $10 per month for
Netflix and $4.99 to be a prime member of CBC which then gives you all
their programmes, minus the ads. I have no more use for my DVR
because you can watch all those things anytime you want so not worth
the bother.

One advantage I like is tonight there is a whole hour of Coronation St
and I like to watch it later in the evening. So I will just zoom in
on chromecast at the time that suits me and pick it up then, minus the

Here's a link that will likely answer your question better

https://www.google.com/search?client...d&q=chromecast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:47:32 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:45:51 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>>
>> On 2019-07-01 4:41 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > It's foreign for me, and my taxes are already going to TV Ontario, which
>> > runs has similar programming, not to mention the CBC, which has become
>> > the propaganda wing of the Liberal government.
>> >

>> That's good because all the commercial stations shill for the ****ing
>> conservatives!
>>

>Really? Name me one or two so I can tune in and see what their conservative
>agenda programming is like.

Just ignore that Graham, it is always said and it is always untrue. I
worked there for some time and very few people were lefties, and even
if they were, it was too busy for them to push a leftward agenda.

I don't see commercial stations calling big companies to task for
overcharging people, aka Bell overcharged a woman $3,000 but refused
to repay her. She herself said, she eventually got it back because Go
Public picked it up. Commercial stations want nothing to do with
programmes like that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 10:56:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:45:38 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
>> >Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
>> >it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?

>> I don't use all that stuff. If I want to see something, I get it from
>> the Internet and watch it on my monitor or cast it to my TV.
>>

>I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.

The point is, you only pay to buy the chromecast once, but I think you
pay monthly for DirecTV don't you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 16:17:59 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 06:12:24 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:
>
>>Bruce > wrote:
>>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:28:37 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> I don't know what the Chromecast thingie could do more or better than
>>> it does.
>>>

>>Why use three devices (laptop, Chromecast, and TV) to watch a movie on TV
>>when you can use two (Roku and TV), and not have to get up and go to go
>>pause the program on your laptop because it doesnt have a remote? I just
>>have to sit down, turn on the tv, and use the remote for my device, same as
>>I would the tv remote.

>The Chromecast sits in the side of the TV but I don't have to touch it
>or anything, so it's really only 2 devices. TV and PC.
>
>I don't know what a Roku is or does. Does it require a subscription?

No, it's very similar to Chromecast but my friend who has it finds it
has limitations (especially where live newscasts are concerned) that
chromecast does not have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Kevin Belton New Orleans Cooking.
> > https://kevinbelton.wyes.org/recipes/

> Is that the only cooking show your local PBS station airs?

Not at all, Joan. Just the one I wanted to mention.

I have 2 main PBS channels. One based in Norfolk and one in North
Carolina. Each of their main channels often show the same things
at the same time. These are the 2 channels that have begathons
often.

Each of them also has 3 alt channels and all 6 of those are
completely different programming. One channel is mostly cooking
shows so I probably get them all.

Every evening:
Kevin Belton
Lydia's italian cooking
America's Test Kitchen
Cook's Country which is the same deal as ATK
The new show by Bow-tie man which is boring to me.
So many more cooking shows on that one channel.
I check them out occasionally.

It's only the Food Network that has all the competition shows but
I do like the "Beat Bobby Flay" shows. He's such an arrogant
show-off but he is personable and good chef. It's fun to watch.
You get ideas well from that one. First part is take one single
food item and make it the star of your dish. Interesting to see
how each do that.

Then the winner of that tells Bobby their signature dish and both
make that. Again, interesting to see how both handle it.

Oh well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Can't speak for Gary but I find lots of cooking shows on various PBS
> stations. Along with Kevin Belton's 'New Orlean's Cooking', I
> occasionally watch Lidia Bastianich's 'Lidia's Kitchen'. I like 'My
> Greek Table' with Diane Kochilas. Every once in a while I watch Martha
> Stewart's 'Cooking School' or Jacques Pepin. I have access to lots of
> cooking shows; maybe Gary's PBS station doesn't air them.

8 PBS channels here, Jill. I get all those cooking shows and many
more. Of the 8 channels, one of them seems to specialize in
cooking shows. The other's rarely have one. Another one
specializes in travel shows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> One learns sod-all from those damned competitions.

"sod-all" heh ehh
Try watching "Beat Bobby Flay." You get good idea of how to
prepare one ingredient or one specific dish. Interesting to me to
see how 2 people treat that for 2 different dishes. It gives me
ideas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> LOL Joan! Lawrence Welk is definitely when it's time to change the channel.

Oh dear lord. My father liked that show and made us all watch it
back in the 60's. He was emperor of the house and when he was
home we had to watch his choices (only one tv then).

To this day, it's about the most disturbing thing I ever see on
tv. PBS naturally airs that along with their many crappy other
shows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2019 6:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Sure they are!* And it actually confirms notbob's mention of him using
> plastic cooking bags.* Guess I didn't watch those particular shows.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eZyy54pM_k

U2B has almost everything!

I got the impression he was using those bags toward the end of his
cooking career. I followed his career fer yrs and I knew he wasn't
really of Cajun descent, but had been around Cajuns, a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Wilson_(chef)

Heck, I'm not correct on everything. I've been cooking off this site
fer yrs and thought Chuck was a true chef.

https://www.gumbopages.com/

Turns out I was wrong, but I still like the recipes. This, even after
meeting Paul Prudhomme, in person, and buying his 1st book. I didn't
particularly like Paul's cooking style (too many spices), but I loved
his Alligator Étouffée (as made by K-Paul's resto).

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>The Roku and Amazon Fire Stick both put the Chromecast to shame.

>> I reviewed both, Roku with a friend who had it, and I actually bought
>> an Amazon Fire Stick, but in the end Chromecast won out.

>Chromecast may be good but the lack of a dedicated remote is a nuisance. On
>the other hand, you may agree that the Fire TV remote is simple and well
>designed.

I never thought about it, my remote for the tv does everything I need
with chromecast so perhaps that's why I didn't notice. Perhaps it
varies with tv's - mine is a Samsung.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 06:12:24 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Bruce > wrote:
>>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:28:37 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>>> I don't know what the Chromecast thingie could do more or better than
>>> it does.
>>>

>> Why use three devices (laptop, Chromecast, and TV) to watch a movie on TV
>> when you can use two (Roku and TV), and not have to get up and go to go
>> pause the program on your laptop because it doesnt have a remote? I just
>> have to sit down, turn on the tv, and use the remote for my device, same as
>> I would the tv remote.

> The Chromecast sits in the side of the TV but I don't have to touch it
> or anything, so it's really only 2 devices. TV and PC.
>
> I don't know what a Roku is or does. Does it require a subscription?

It works similar to Chromecast. It plugs into the HDMI port on your tv, and
allows you to stream from various channels or apps, like Netflix,
YouTube, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. It is not a subscription service, just a
device that lets you stream your subscription (or free) services, like
Chromecast does. It just cuts out that laptop middleman.