Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking show

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 14:44:21 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 20:14 1 Jul 2019, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> On 7/1/2019 2:53 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>>
>>> Â* Yup , that's him ! Thanks Jill .
>>>

>> "I gar on tee!" LOL He was a funny old guy and the show was amusing.
>> Didn't seem to mind if he dribbled something on his plaid shirt. He did
>> wash his hands a lot, which is a good thing. He used as much wine in
>> the cooking as he drank. Always told a little anectotal story/joke
>> while showing us exactly when and what to add to the pot or the skillet.
>>
>> Jill

>Reminds me of chef Keith Floyd whose show was also broadcast in America.
>He too drank as much on camera as he used in his cooking.
>
>His shows were full of unscripted asides, such as talking to the cameraman
>or producer.

Towards the end Floyd lost it a bit, but for years he was fun to
watch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 17:03:02 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 06:12:24 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>>> Why use three devices (laptop, Chromecast, and TV) to watch a movie on TV
>>> when you can use two (Roku and TV), and not have to get up and go to go
>>> pause the program on your laptop because it doesnt have a remote? I just
>>> have to sit down, turn on the tv, and use the remote for my device, same as
>>> I would the tv remote.

>> The Chromecast sits in the side of the TV but I don't have to touch it
>> or anything, so it's really only 2 devices. TV and PC.
>>
>> I don't know what a Roku is or does. Does it require a subscription?
>>

>It works similar to Chromecast. It plugs into the HDMI port on your tv, and
>allows you to stream from various channels or apps, like Netflix,
>YouTube, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. It is not a subscription service, just a
>device that lets you stream your subscription (or free) services, like
>Chromecast does. It just cuts out that laptop middleman.

But with the Chromecast I can cast anything that I play on my
computer. I don't need a subscription for Netflix etc. If I want to
watch a Netflix show, I download it to my hard disk first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Why use three devices (laptop, Chromecast, and TV) to watch a movie on TV
>>>when you can use two (Roku and TV), and not have to get up and go to go
>>>pause the program on your laptop because it doesnt have a remote? I just
>>>have to sit down, turn on the tv, and use the remote for my device, same as
>>>I would the tv remote.

>>The Chromecast sits in the side of the TV but I don't have to touch it
>>or anything, so it's really only 2 devices. TV and PC.
>>
>>I don't know what a Roku is or does. Does it require a subscription?

>No, it's very similar to Chromecast but my friend who has it finds it
>has limitations (especially where live newscasts are concerned) that
>chromecast does not have.

If it removes the computer from the equation, I can't play all my
downloaded stuff via it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>The Roku and Amazon Fire Stick both put the Chromecast to shame.

>> I reviewed both, Roku with a friend who had it, and I actually bought
>> an Amazon Fire Stick, but in the end Chromecast won out.

>Chromecast may be good but the lack of a dedicated remote is a nuisance. On
>the other hand, you may agree that the Fire TV remote is simple and well
>designed.

That's true, but it's a 1st world problem. The computer is 3 metres
away and I can pause there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 13:47:38 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 06:38 2 Jul 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>>I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.

>> The whole idea of subscription is obsolete to me. I can't think of
>> anything that I'm missing out on because I don't have a
>> "subscription".

>Streaming movies, such as Netflix?

I don't have or need Netflix. I'll see those movies anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 19:17:14 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 18:32 2 Jul 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 14:44:21 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>>Reminds me of chef Keith Floyd whose show was also broadcast in America.
>>>He too drank as much on camera as he used in his cooking.
>>>
>>>His shows were full of unscripted asides, such as talking to the cameraman
>>>or producer.

>> Towards the end Floyd lost it a bit, but for years he was fun to
>> watch.

>His sad death at 65 may have been caused by heavy drinking.

Yes, quite possibly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Chromecast may be good but the lack of a dedicated remote is a nuisance.
>>> On the other hand, you may agree that the Fire TV remote is simple and
>>>well designed.

>> I never thought about it, my remote for the tv does everything I need
>> with chromecast so perhaps that's why I didn't notice. Perhaps it
>> varies with tv's - mine is a Samsung.

>My Samsung remote also controls the Fire TV stick but I much prefer the
>stick's own remote control -- few buttons for glance-free simplicity and
>connects by internal Bluetooth so there's no need to point. Elegant
>enough to be an Apple product!

Aah that must be why I didn't like it! You'd have to pay me to buy
anything Apple. I gave the Fire Stick to a newly arrived immigrant
from India, he loves it, so it found a good home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:28:37 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Bruce > wrote:

>>> I use chromecasting too. The only problem is that I can't pause the
>>> program with the remote. I have to walk all the way to the computer
>>>

>> The Roku and Amazon Fire Stick both put the Chromecast to shame.

> I reviewed both, Roku with a friend who had it, and I actually bought
> an Amazon Fire Stick, but in the end Chromecast won out.

I own all three devices, actually four with 2 Rokus, and my clear
preference is for the Roku. The Fire Stick is my close second choice, but I
wont use the Chromecast anymore even if its the last device on earth.
Hate it. Clunky junk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:54:22 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> > wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 02:28:37 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > > wrote:

> >> The Roku and Amazon Fire Stick both put the Chromecast to shame.

> > I reviewed both, Roku with a friend who had it, and I actually bought
> > an Amazon Fire Stick, but in the end Chromecast won out.
> >

> I own all three devices, actually four with 2 Rokus, and my clear
> preference is for the Roku. The Fire Stick is my close second choice, but I
> wont use the Chromecast anymore even if its the last device on earth.
> Hate it. Clunky junk.

It might be clunky junk but when it came out, it was just great. I got a couple of them. I don't use them anymore. That's the way of technology. Tech waits for neither man nor invention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 10:56:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:45:38 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> I don't use all that stuff. If I want to see something, I get it from
>>> the Internet and watch it on my monitor or cast it to my TV.
>>>

>> I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.

> The whole idea of subscription is obsolete to me. I can't think of
> anything that I'm missing out on because I don't have a
> "subscription".

You would never know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 20:00:28 -0400, Alex > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.

>> The whole idea of subscription is obsolete to me. I can't think of
>> anything that I'm missing out on because I don't have a
>> "subscription".

>You would never know.

Give me an example of a show I can't watch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 5:06:59 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 9:47:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:45:51 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
> > >
> > > That's good because all the commercial stations shill for the ****ing
> > > conservatives!
> > >

> > Really? Name me one or two so I can tune in and see what their conservative
> > agenda programming is like.

> Anything owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group:
>
> <http://sbgi.net/>
>
> Here's the controversy:
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group#Political_views>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I watch none of those channels listed. I can't remember the last time I've watched a broadcast (FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, etc.) program. It's simply garbage what they offer. I will turn on a local station to catch the
weather forecast at 5:15 if I think they'll give a little more information
than the Weather Channel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:35:17 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:45:38 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
> >Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
> >it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?

> I think you could get them, so stations will actually charge you but I
> won't pay so I don't bother. I do pay less than $10 per month for
> Netflix and $4.99 to be a prime member of CBC which then gives you all
> their programmes, minus the ads. I have no more use for my DVR
> because you can watch all those things anytime you want so not worth
> the bother.

I did look at Chromecast (UGH probably spy network from the biggest spy on
the planet --- Google) and I can get DirecTV shows and premium channels like
I get now --- for the same price I am presently paying.

> One advantage I like is tonight there is a whole hour of Coronation St
> and I like to watch it later in the evening. So I will just zoom in
> on chromecast at the time that suits me and pick it up then, minus the

Never have seen that program, so really don't know what it is.

> Here's a link that will likely answer your question better
>
> https://www.google.com/search?client...d&q=chromecast

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.

> The point is, you only pay to buy the chromecast once, but I think you
> pay monthly for DirecTV don't you?

So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 17:54:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.

>> The point is, you only pay to buy the chromecast once, but I think you
>> pay monthly for DirecTV don't you?
>>

>So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
>because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.

You -and most people- think in terms of subscriptions and channels. I
don't use either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 17:54:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> The point is, you only pay to buy the chromecast once, but I think you
>>> pay monthly for DirecTV don't you?
>>>

>> So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
>> because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.

> You -and most people- think in terms of subscriptions and channels. I
> don't use either.

Because yoose are special.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 2:54:14 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.

> > The point is, you only pay to buy the chromecast once, but I think you
> > pay monthly for DirecTV don't you?
> >

> So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
> because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.

You can pay for a service like HBO or Netflix or you can also stream movies using a free app. The movies are payed with commercial interruptions. A most honorable tradition. One of the best is Pluto.tv which has live streaming as well as movies on demand. It is now the golden age of streaming but I don't expect it to be that way for long. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 20:10:35 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 17:54:11 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
>>> because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.

>> You -and most people- think in terms of subscriptions and channels. I
>> don't use either.
>>

>Because yoose are special.

Yes, I use the Internet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 18:14:35 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 2:54:14 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>> >
>> > On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "

>> > The point is, you only pay to buy the chromecast once, but I think you
>> > pay monthly for DirecTV don't you?
>> >

>> So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
>> because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.

>You can pay for a service like HBO or Netflix or you can also stream movies using a free app. The movies are payed with commercial interruptions. A most honorable tradition. One of the best is Pluto.tv which has live streaming as well as movies on demand. It is now the golden age of streaming but I don't expect it to be that way for long. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I never see "commercial interruptions". They can stick them where the
sun don't shine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:54:22 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> I own all three devices, actually four with 2 Rokus, and my clear
> preference is for the Roku. The Fire Stick is my close second choice, but I
> wont use the Chromecast anymore even if its the last device on earth.
> Hate it. Clunky junk.

The Roku is the most popular streaming platform at the moment. It's probably because it comes pre-installed on a lot of TVs. Most people would rather use it than another device that uses a separate remote control or having to stick a goober on to their TV. I use it frequently. It's okay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 3:39:18 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> I never see "commercial interruptions". They can stick them where the
> sun don't shine.

Well - ain't you oh so proud of yourself. Go out and have a beer to celebrate your specialness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 18:44:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 3:39:18 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I never see "commercial interruptions". They can stick them where the
>> sun don't shine.

>Well - ain't you oh so proud of yourself. Go out and have a beer to celebrate your specialness.

Nah, I'm used to being special.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:54:22 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>
>> I own all three devices, actually four with 2 Rokus, and my clear
>> preference is for the Roku. The Fire Stick is my close second choice, but I
>> wont use the Chromecast anymore even if its the last device on earth.
>> Hate it. Clunky junk.

> The Roku is the most popular streaming platform at the moment. It's
> probably because it comes pre-installed on a lot of TVs. Most people
> would rather use it than another device that uses a separate remote
> control or having to stick a goober on to their TV. I use it frequently. It's okay.

We have a TCL Roku TV as well. It works quite well, but I still prefer the
portability that comes with the HDMI device. We have a couple of smart
TVs as well, but I still use the device rather than the apps on the smart
tv. The interface is better, and so are the parental controls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 17:43:36 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 5:06:59 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > Really? Name me one or two so I can tune in and see what their conservative
>> > agenda programming is like.

>> Anything owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group:
>>
>> <http://sbgi.net/>
>>
>> Here's the controversy:
>>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group#Political_views>
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I watch none of those channels listed. I can't remember the last time I've watched a broadcast (FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, etc.) program. It's simply garbage what they offer. I will turn on a local station to catch the
>weather forecast at 5:15 if I think they'll give a little more information
>than the Weather Channel.

they own many local television stations. Read the little print at the
end of the broadcast
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 4:37:49 PM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> We have a TCL Roku TV as well. It works quite well, but I still prefer the
> portability that comes with the HDMI device. We have a couple of smart
> TVs as well, but I still use the device rather than the apps on the smart
> tv. The interface is better, and so are the parental controls.

I think we have 3 Chromecast devices and 3 FireTV devices. Beat me why we have so many. I have a TCL TV too. I'm as pleased as punch with the purchase.. It was a steal at less than 300 bucks and it has a very nice picture and Roku built in. Thanks Costco!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 4:37:49 PM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>
>> We have a TCL Roku TV as well. It works quite well, but I still prefer the
>> portability that comes with the HDMI device. We have a couple of smart
>> TVs as well, but I still use the device rather than the apps on the smart
>> tv. The interface is better, and so are the parental controls.

> I think we have 3 Chromecast devices and 3 FireTV devices. Beat me why we
> have so many. I have a TCL TV too. I'm as pleased as punch with the
> purchase. It was a steal at less than 300 bucks and it has a very nice
> picture and Roku built in. Thanks Costco!

Costco for the win!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 02:30:01 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> The point is, you only pay to buy the chromecast once, but I think you
>>> pay monthly for DirecTV don't you?
>>>

>> So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
>> because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.
>>

>Theyre not broadcasting programs directly. Its just a piece of hardware
>that lets you stream your subscriptions

Stop! No, thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Give me an example of a show I can't watch.

Here's one you *should* watch:
The Cove - a 2009 documentary that exposes the slaughter of more
than 20,000 dolphins and porpoises off the coast of Japan every
year.

I watched it again last night. ;-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 18:44:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 3:39:18 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> I never see "commercial interruptions". They can stick them where the
> >> sun don't shine.

> >Well - ain't you oh so proud of yourself. Go out and have a beer to celebrate your specialness.

> Nah, I'm used to being special.

Ahhh. Are you the missing 3rd Princess here?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 8:43:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 5:06:59 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Really? Name me one or two so I can tune in and see what their conservative
> > > agenda programming is like.

> > Anything owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group:
> >
> > <http://sbgi.net/>
> >
> > Here's the controversy:
> >
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group#Political_views>
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I watch none of those channels listed. I can't remember the last time I've watched a broadcast (FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, etc.) program. It's simply garbage what they offer. I will turn on a local station to catch the
> weather forecast at 5:15 if I think they'll give a little more information
> than the Weather Channel.

You don't watch them, but millions do.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 05:59:28 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Give me an example of a show I can't watch.

>Here's one you *should* watch:
>The Cove - a 2009 documentary that exposes the slaughter of more
>than 20,000 dolphins and porpoises off the coast of Japan every
>year.
>
>I watched it again last night. ;-(

I don't like to watch animal suffering. And those Japanese can go f***
themselves as far as I'm concerned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 05:59:44 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 18:44:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >Well - ain't you oh so proud of yourself. Go out and have a beer to celebrate your specialness.

>> Nah, I'm used to being special.

>Ahhh. Are you the missing 3rd Princess here?

Who be that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 17:54:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I just turn on DirecTV and get all my subscribed stations through it.

>> The point is, you only pay to buy the chromecast once, but I think you
>> pay monthly for DirecTV don't you?
>>

>So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
>because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.

I've no idea but I heard them say on the radio yesterday that they
think streaming will start to involve charges now that Disney et al
are getting into the game. I suppose it was inevitable. It was so
nice to go from nearly $200 per month to under $20 per month, couldn't
last

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 17:51:47 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:35:17 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 18:45:38 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Can I get NatGeo, History Channel, A&E, AHC, Turner Classic Movies, Starz,
>> >Encore, FXMHD, BBC America, PARHD, and about 4 dozen other channels on
>> >it? If so, how much per month? Does it come with a DVR?

>> I think you could get them, so stations will actually charge you but I
>> won't pay so I don't bother. I do pay less than $10 per month for
>> Netflix and $4.99 to be a prime member of CBC which then gives you all
>> their programmes, minus the ads. I have no more use for my DVR
>> because you can watch all those things anytime you want so not worth
>> the bother.
>>

>I did look at Chromecast (UGH probably spy network from the biggest spy on
>the planet --- Google) and I can get DirecTV shows and premium channels like
>I get now --- for the same price I am presently paying.
>>
>> One advantage I like is tonight there is a whole hour of Coronation St
>> and I like to watch it later in the evening. So I will just zoom in
>> on chromecast at the time that suits me and pick it up then, minus the
>>

>Never have seen that program, so really don't know what it is.

Longest running soap, about ordinary people not the wealthy.

https://www.google.com/search?client...onation+street

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 02:30:01 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 6:45:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> The point is, you only pay to buy the chromecast once, but I think you
>>> pay monthly for DirecTV don't you?
>>>

>> So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
>> because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.
>>

>Theyre not broadcasting programs directly. Its just a piece of hardware
>that lets you stream your subscriptions to things like Hulu, Netflix, CBS
>All Access, Amazon Prime, etc., in the same way as a TV lets you watch
>cable TV. Sony and Samsung just manufacture the device (TV), but dont
>provide you the programs.

When I had cable I had the 'basic package' - that contained all sorts
of sports channels I never even turned on, I was watching precisely
four of the 50 odd channels. $200 per month. When 'Pick a Channel'
came in, I phoned up thinking now I was going to get a more reasonable
bill with only four channels, the woman told me no, picking four would
actually cost me more. That's when I decided that since all my
grandchildren got along nicely without cable, I must be nuts. So I
had one of them instruct me