Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking show

On 7/2/2019 8:23 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> LOL Joan! Lawrence Welk is definitely when it's time to change the channel.

> Oh dear lord. My father liked that show and made us all watch it
> back in the 60's. He was emperor of the house and when he was
> home we had to watch his choices (only one tv then).

Fortunately, at least for me, Lawrence Welk reruns are only aired on one
of the PBS channels once a week. Easy enough to avoid. My
grandparents watched it. My father was into things like 'Combat' or the
original 'FBI.' And yes, Dad was the emperor of the one television.

> To this day, it's about the most disturbing thing I ever see on
> tv. PBS naturally airs that along with their many crappy other
> shows.

The Lawrence Welk show isn't particularly disturbing to me, it's just
very old. I get lots of different PBS cooking shows. I'm enjoying the
series 'Jamestown' on Masterpiece. Masterpiece Mystery is fun, too.
Nature and Nova are interesting. It's not all "crappy".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 10:31:58 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Fortunately, at least for me, Lawrence Welk reruns are only aired on one
> of the PBS channels once a week. Easy enough to avoid. My
> grandparents watched it. My father was into things like 'Combat' or the
> original 'FBI.' And yes, Dad was the emperor of the one television.

Thankfully L.W. is only aired here on Saturday nights, prime time when they
could be showing something that would make me want to make a donation.

Yep, my dad was into 'Combat', 'FBI', 'Gunsmoke', 'Dragnet', etc. and he, too,
was the emperor of our one TV and we kids were the 'remote.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 02:30:01 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> > wrote:

>>> So, how do they make their money? They're not broadcasting all those programs
>>> because they think viewers are such nice folks and deserve to cut the cord.
>>>

>> TheyÂ’re not broadcasting programs directly. ItÂ’s just a piece of hardware
>> that lets you stream your subscriptions to things like Hulu, Netflix, CBS
>> All Access, Amazon Prime, etc., in the same way as a TV letÂ’s you watch
>> cable TV. Sony and Samsung just manufacture the device (TV), but donÂ’t
>> provide you the programs.

> When I had cable I had the 'basic package' - that contained all sorts
> of sports channels I never even turned on, I was watching precisely
> four of the 50 odd channels. $200 per month. When 'Pick a Channel'
> came in, I phoned up thinking now I was going to get a more reasonable
> bill with only four channels, the woman told me no, picking four would
> actually cost me more. That's when I decided that since all my
> grandchildren got along nicely without cable, I must be nuts. So I
> had one of them instruct me

Thats exactly why Im happy with Sling. I get a few channels I dont
watch, but otherwise get all the ones I want for a low monthly price of
about $25 per month. It cant be beat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-03 9:31 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/2/2019 8:23 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL Joan!Â* Lawrence Welk is definitely when it's time to change the
>>> channel.

>> Oh dear lord. My father liked that show and made us all watch it
>> back in the 60's. He was emperor of the house and when he was
>> home we had to watch his choices (only one tv then).
>>

> Fortunately, at least for me, Lawrence Welk reruns are only aired on one
> of the PBS channels once a week.Â* Easy enough to avoid. Â* My
> grandparents watched it.Â* My father was into things like 'Combat' or the
> original 'FBI.'Â* And yes, Dad was the emperor of the one television.
>
>> To this day, it's about the most disturbing thing I ever see on
>> tv. PBS naturally airs that along with their many crappy other
>> shows.
>>

> The Lawrence Welk show isn't particularly disturbing to me, it's just
> very old.Â* I get lots of different PBS cooking shows.Â* I'm enjoying the
> series 'Jamestown' on Masterpiece.Â* Masterpiece Mystery is fun, too.
> Nature and Nova are interesting.Â* It's not all "crappy".
>
> Jill

I wish Amanpour were on much earlier in the evening.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 11:16:41 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> I wish Amanpour were on much earlier in the evening.

Can you not record her and watch her the next day at a much more decent hour?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Don't forget they remember the ballroom dance numbers and the bubble
> machine! My grandparents watched 'The Lawrence Welk Show'. They
> died in the 1970's.

That's what they get for watching that show.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>I've no idea but I heard them say on the radio yesterday that they
>>>think streaming will start to involve charges now that Disney et al
>>>are getting into the game. I suppose it was inevitable. It was so
>>>nice to go from nearly $200 per month to under $20 per month, couldn't
>>>last

>>Who wants to see Disney stuff? Mickey Mouse The Sequel? Donald Duck
>>Strikes Back?

>I believe, as I understand it, they are going to be like Netflix, but
>not just Disney type stuff.
>
>I thought about you streaming from your computer, so do I of course. I
>have a very old, original Samsung tablet and it is great, and portable
>for that.

Yes, then you can have the controls for pausing etc. within reach.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 06:08:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 7:23:25 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 08:08:40 -0300, wrote:

>> >I've no idea but I heard them say on the radio yesterday that they
>> >think streaming will start to involve charges now that Disney et al
>> >are getting into the game. I suppose it was inevitable. It was so
>> >nice to go from nearly $200 per month to under $20 per month, couldn't
>> >last

>> Who wants to see Disney stuff? Mickey Mouse The Sequel? Donald Duck
>> Strikes Back?

>They have a huge market for movies based on Marvel comics, the
>Star Wars franchise, and everything they acquired in their recent
>merger with Fox.
>
><https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/20/18273477/disney-fox-merger-deal-details-marvel-x-men>

Oh, ok. I guess that attracts many viewers, although I'd rather watch
grass grow myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 20:49:50 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 18:35 2 Jul 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 17:03:02 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>>>It works similar to Chromecast. It plugs into the HDMI port on your tv,
>>>and allows you to stream from various €œchannels€? or apps, like
>>>Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. It is not a subscription
>>>service, just a device that lets you stream your subscription (or free)
>>>services, like Chromecast does. It just cuts out that laptop middleman.

>> But with the Chromecast I can cast anything that I play on my
>> computer. I don't need a subscription for Netflix etc. If I want to
>> watch a Netflix show, I download it to my hard disk first.

>You need to be a Netflix subscriber to download the show in the first
>place.

No, you don't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 06:08:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

>>> Who wants to see Disney stuff? Mickey Mouse The Sequel? Donald Duck
>>> Strikes Back?

>> They have a huge market for movies based on Marvel comics, the
>> Star Wars franchise, and everything they acquired in their recent
>> merger with Fox.
>>
>> <https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/20/18273477/disney-fox-merger-deal-details-marvel-x-men>

> Oh, ok. I guess that attracts many viewers, although I'd rather watch
> grass grow myself.

These days, the young folks adore cartoons with flying superhero
robots. It started over 40 years ago, but now is standard stuff.

If yoose were 12, yoose would love it!

Superman went out with Popeye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 15:32:33 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 06:08:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> They have a huge market for movies based on Marvel comics, the
>>> Star Wars franchise, and everything they acquired in their recent
>>> merger with Fox.
>>>
>>> <https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/3/20/18273477/disney-fox-merger-deal-details-marvel-x-men>

>> Oh, ok. I guess that attracts many viewers, although I'd rather watch
>> grass grow myself.
>>

>These days, the young folks adore cartoons with flying superhero
>robots. It started over 40 years ago, but now is standard stuff.
>
>If yoose were 12, yoose would love it!
>
>Superman went out with Popeye.

I have 4 younger siblings, so I've seen enough children's programs for
the rest of my life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 00:07:28 +0100, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 21:08 3 Jul 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 20:49:50 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>>You need to be a Netflix subscriber to download the show in the first
>>>place.

>> No, you don't.

>Explain please.

I download everything I want to watch from various sources. I wouldn't
even know from what channel or company the show comes from if it
didn't start with a logo or something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela > wrote:
> On 21:08 3 Jul 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 20:49:50 +0100, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>> You need to be a Netflix subscriber to download the show in the first
>>> place.

>> No, you don't.

> Explain please.

Hes downloading bootleg copies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Pamela > wrote:
>> On 21:08 3 Jul 2019, Bruce > wrote:

>>> No, you don't.

>> Explain please.
>>

> He€„¢s downloading bootleg copies.

Or, maybe he moved up to washington state, and is now living in one
of the bove's garden sheds?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 20:00:28 -0400, Alex > wrote:
>
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:30:40 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> The whole idea of subscription is obsolete to me. I can't think of
>>> anything that I'm missing out on because I don't have a
>>> "subscription".

>> You would never know.

> Give me an example of a show I can't watch.

Deadliest Catch comes to mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 21:16:22 -0400, Alex > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>>> You would never know.

>> Give me an example of a show I can't watch.

>Deadliest Catch comes to mind.

I can download 15 seasons of it. 15-12 being the last episode I see.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers > wrote:
> Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> Pamela > wrote:

>>> Explain please.
>>>

>> He€„¢s downloading bootleg copies.
>>

> Or, maybe he moved up to washington state, and is now living in one
> of the bove's garden sheds?

It all makes sense now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 3:27:39 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 21:16:22 -0400, Alex > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:

> >> Give me an example of a show I can't watch.

> >Deadliest Catch comes to mind.

> I can download 15 seasons of it. 15-12 being the last episode I see.

Where the heck are you living? The year 2005?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:16:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 3:27:39 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>> >Deadliest Catch comes to mind.

>> I can download 15 seasons of it. 15-12 being the last episode I see.

>Where the heck are you living? The year 2005?

Why? IMDB says episode 12 of season 15 was broadcast on June 25, 2019.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 4:21:14 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:16:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

> >> I can download 15 seasons of it. 15-12 being the last episode I see.

> >Where the heck are you living? The year 2005?

> Why? IMDB says episode 12 of season 15 was broadcast on June 25, 2019.

Downloading programs to your hard drive seems like a primitive thing to do. OTOH, you're probably into that kind of stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:31:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 4:21:14 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:16:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >Where the heck are you living? The year 2005?

>> Why? IMDB says episode 12 of season 15 was broadcast on June 25, 2019.

>Downloading programs to your hard drive seems like a primitive thing to do. OTOH, you're probably into that kind of stuff.

Oh, ok. Well, it saves me having to get a subscription that I'll
hardly use. I can download exactly what I want to see.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 10:46:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:31:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 4:21:14 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> Why? IMDB says episode 12 of season 15 was broadcast on June 25, 2019.

> >Downloading programs to your hard drive seems like a primitive thing to do. OTOH, you're probably into that kind of stuff.

> Oh, ok. Well, it saves me having to get a subscription that I'll
> hardly use. I can download exactly what I want to see.

Can you download Stranger Things? Man in the High Castle?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 03:38:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 10:46:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:31:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >Downloading programs to your hard drive seems like a primitive thing to do. OTOH, you're probably into that kind of stuff.

>> Oh, ok. Well, it saves me having to get a subscription that I'll
>> hardly use. I can download exactly what I want to see.

>Can you download Stranger Things? Man in the High Castle?

We've actually watched seasons 1 and 2 of Stranger Things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Alex wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:
> >> Give me an example of a show I can't watch.

> >Deadliest Catch comes to mind.

> I can download 15 seasons of it. 15-12 being the last episode I see.

I loved that show when it first started but it got old very
quickly. Too much showing off for the camera with the crews. Even
without that, catching crabs in pots show after show? Good
example of too much of a good thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 07:00:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Alex wrote:

>> >Deadliest Catch comes to mind.

>> I can download 15 seasons of it. 15-12 being the last episode I see.

>I loved that show when it first started but it got old very
>quickly. Too much showing off for the camera with the crews.

If they're Americans, I already know what you mean.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 03:38:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 10:46:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:31:42 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >Downloading programs to your hard drive seems like a primitive thing to do. OTOH, you're probably into that kind of stuff.

>> Oh, ok. Well, it saves me having to get a subscription that I'll
>> hardly use. I can download exactly what I want to see.

>Can you download Stranger Things? Man in the High Castle?

Fluke: I just started downloading season 3 of Stranger Things. Has it
even been broadcast?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 7:25:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 03:38:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 10:46:22 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> >> Oh, ok. Well, it saves me having to get a subscription that I'll
> >> hardly use. I can download exactly what I want to see.

> >Can you download Stranger Things? Man in the High Castle?

> Fluke: I just started downloading season 3 of Stranger Things. Has it
> even been broadcast?

No idea. We couldn't get interested in it. I just mentioned it because
I think (in the U.S.) it's only legitimately available on Netflix.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 04:34:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 7:25:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 03:38:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Can you download Stranger Things? Man in the High Castle?

>> Fluke: I just started downloading season 3 of Stranger Things. Has it
>> even been broadcast?

>No idea. We couldn't get interested in it. I just mentioned it because
>I think (in the U.S.) it's only legitimately available on Netflix.

Maybe I'm downloading it from a rogue state.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 19:16:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:

> >> I can download 15 seasons of it. 15-12 being the last episode I see.

> >Where the heck are you living? The year 2005?

> Why? IMDB says episode 12 of season 15 was broadcast on June 25, 2019.

Doesn't even matter. All you need is about 5 episodes from any
season. The rest is all repeated boring crap.

Here's the thing for me. They took a good subject that would have
made a great 3-4 hour documentary or even one season of it and be
done. Money rules though and they have already milked it to
death. I quit watching several years ago. Nothing new to see
ever, only the names change.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> Downloading programs to your hard drive seems like a
> primitive thing to do. OTOH, you're probably into that
> kind of stuff.

Hey...if it works and it's free stuff, Bruce wins.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 07:00:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:

> >> I can download 15 seasons of it. 15-12 being the last episode I see.

> >I loved that show when it first started but it got old very
> >quickly. Too much showing off for the camera with the crews.

> If they're Americans, I already know what you mean.

Please Bruce. This is Independence Day. America is great again
now. At least go one day without cuts for our great again country
on this special day. Have some respect, please.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Maybe I'm downloading it from a rogue state.

No. You've admitted to bootlegging. Maybe you will spend your
next birthday in jail just like Kuthe did once some outstanding
RFC reported him to his local police.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 11:18:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >I loved that show when it first started but it got old very
>> >quickly. Too much showing off for the camera with the crews.

>> If they're Americans, I already know what you mean.

>Please Bruce. This is Independence Day. America is great again
>now. At least go one day without cuts for our great again country
>on this special day. Have some respect, please.

Gary are you wearing a maga hat??? America with Trump is the laughing
stock of the world!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 11:18:35 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:

> > >I loved that show when it first started but it got old very
> > >quickly. Too much showing off for the camera with the crews.

> > If they're Americans, I already know what you mean.

> Please Bruce. This is Independence Day. America is great again
> now. At least go one day without cuts for our great again country
> on this special day. Have some respect, please.

Can you elucidate how American is great again?

Thanks,

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-07-04 12:07 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 11:18:35 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> If they're Americans, I already know what you mean.

>> Please Bruce. This is Independence Day. America is great again
>> now. At least go one day without cuts for our great again country
>> on this special day. Have some respect, please.

> Can you elucidate how American is great again?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cindy Hamilton

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/o...ype=Home page

http://tiny.cc/xkb98y
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

graham wrote:

> On 2019-07-04 12:07 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Please Bruce. This is Independence Day. America is great again
> >> now. At least go one day without cuts for our great again country
> >> on this special day. Have some respect, please.

> > Can you elucidate how American is great again?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/o...ype=Home page
>
> http://tiny.cc/xkb98y

The NYT is FAKE news, graham...just so ya know...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 12:24:06 -0600, graham > wrote:

>https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/o...ype=Home page

Perfect! It made me smile :-)
Janet US