Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Steaks on the Sizzle Zone

My Napoleon grill has an infrared side burner they call the Sizzle Zone.
In seconds it heat to 1800 degrees, great for searing meats.

No matter what kind of grill you have, I found the best for us is a 2"
thick steak. We split one 2" rather than have a thinner steak each.
You get a great sear on the outside and a juicy tender medium rare on
the inside.

I take the steak out about an hour before cooking, rub lightly with
olive oil. Both side get salt, pepper, garlic powder.

Get the grill as hot as you can. Put the steak on and sear the first
side for 2 to 4 minutes, flip and repeat. Once seared, reduce the heat
and cook to about 110 to 115 degrees internal. I had the grill at 450 to
bake a couple of potatoes so I moved the steak there to finish. Remove
and rest a minimum of 5 minutes and you have a great medium rare steak.

Depending on grill temperature and desired doneness, adjust as you see
fit, but this is a great starting point. Tonight we had rib eye but it
works well with a nice porterhouse too. Heat your oven if you don't
have a grill and sear in a pan.

Don't forget to let the wine breath.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 May 2019 21:08:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>My Napoleon grill has an infrared side burner they call the Sizzle Zone.
> In seconds it heat to 1800 degrees, great for searing meats.
>
>No matter what kind of grill you have, I found the best for us is a 2"
>thick steak. We split one 2" rather than have a thinner steak each.
>You get a great sear on the outside and a juicy tender medium rare on
>the inside.
>
>I take the steak out about an hour before cooking, rub lightly with
>olive oil. Both side get salt, pepper, garlic powder.
>
>Get the grill as hot as you can. Put the steak on and sear the first
>side for 2 to 4 minutes, flip and repeat. Once seared, reduce the heat
>and cook to about 110 to 115 degrees internal. I had the grill at 450 to
>bake a couple of potatoes so I moved the steak there to finish. Remove
>and rest a minimum of 5 minutes and you have a great medium rare steak.
>
>Depending on grill temperature and desired doneness, adjust as you see
>fit, but this is a great starting point. Tonight we had rib eye but it
>works well with a nice porterhouse too. Heat your oven if you don't
>have a grill and sear in a pan.
>
>Don't forget to let the wine breath.

We prefer 2" thick chuck steak, well seared and medium rare... we like
it with Ruffino red, Chuck tastes like beef, ribeye tastes like
chicken... I see no point in a pricey grill for ribeye... rib should
be an oven roast. Rib steaks are sad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2019 9:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> My Napoleon grill has an infrared side burner they call the Sizzle Zone.
> Â*In seconds it heat to 1800 degrees, great for searing meats.
>
> No matter what kind of grill you have, I found the best for us is a 2"
> thick steak.Â* We split one 2" rather than have a thinner steak each. You
> get a great sear on the outside and a juicy tender medium rare on the
> inside.
>
> I take the steak out about an hour before cooking, rub lightly with
> olive oil.Â* Both side get salt, pepper, garlic powder.
>
> Get the grill as hot as you can.Â* Put the steak on and sear the first
> side for 2 to 4 minutes, flip and repeat.Â* Once seared, reduce the heat
> and cook to about 110 to 115 degrees internal. I had the grill at 450 to
> bake a couple of potatoes so I moved the steak there to finish.Â*Â* Remove
> and rest a minimum of 5 minutes and you have a great medium rare steak.

Sounds good! And yes, take the steak out of the fridge about an hour
before cooking and season it. I don't have a fancy grill (mine is a
Weber kettle) but I know how to sear then move it to the not so hot side
to finish cooking. Agreed on the seasonings. Salt, pepper and garlic
powder is quite tasty. I usually grill chuck-eye steaks and yes,
they're about 2 inches thick.

Some people like marinades and that's fine, too. I only marinade tough
cuts flank. Just make sure not to put wet steaks on a hot grill. Wipe
off the excess liquid with paper towels first. Otherwise the "sizzle"
will be the liquid cooking off but it sort of steams the meat. IMHO,
you can't get a good sear on a steak if it's wet.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Come
> to think of it, grilled chicken wouldn't be bad, either. Cooked on your
> pricey grill.

Living alone, I wouldn't spend money on any pricey grill myself.
I so rarely grill here and the few times that I do (secretly
since it's not allowed here now), all I need is to cook a
hamburger or a chicken thigh and I'm happy.

No need to buy a fancy or not large grill just for that.
Well...they had Weber grills on sale just last weekend (Memorial
Day sales) and I found the perfect grill for my use. Very
inexpensive. It uses charcoal but so very little. It's perfect.
Probably came from China but at least I beat the new tariff
costs.

Check it out:
http://www.hostpic.org/images/1906022021580113.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 jmcquown wrote:

>On 5/31/2019 penmart wrote:
>>
>>I see no point in a pricey grill for ribeye... rib should
>> be an oven roast. Rib steaks are sad.
>>

>Tsk tsk, Sheldon. Have you never heard of buying a rib roast and
>cutting your own steaks?
>Jill

That should be a felony. Before I'd slice a bone-in rib roast for
steaks I'd remove the bones, grind the roast and prepare 12 ounce
burgers... grilled medium rare for juicy chopped steak... grill the
rack of bones too, but longer at lower heat.. There's a good reason
why in most all cases ribeye steaks are sold boneless, in cooking by
the time the bone portion is cooked enough to be edible the eye
portion is way over done.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2019 11:05 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Come
>> to think of it, grilled chicken wouldn't be bad, either. Cooked on your
>> pricey grill.

> Living alone, I wouldn't spend money on any pricey grill myself.
> I so rarely grill here and the few times that I do (secretly
> since it's not allowed here now), all I need is to cook a
> hamburger or a chicken thigh and I'm happy.
>
> No need to buy a fancy or not large grill just for that.
> Well...they had Weber grills on sale just last weekend (Memorial
> Day sales) and I found the perfect grill for my use. Very
> inexpensive. It uses charcoal but so very little. It's perfect.
> Probably came from China but at least I beat the new tariff
> costs.
>
> Check it out:
> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1906022021580113.jpg

If it works for you. . . .that's all that counts.

The Napoleon was a pricey treat for myself and it is used often. There
is just the two of us, but occasionally four or six. I also had a
chance to pipe natural gas to it when the house was built. Probably
never a payback over propane, but worth it for the convenience. No
hauling and changing tanks.

All the goat barns on the street have gas for cooking and hot water so
it was just an extension of the piping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2019 9:40 PM, wrote:
> ribeye tastes like chicken...

You're clueless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 11:05:37 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Come
>> to think of it, grilled chicken wouldn't be bad, either. Cooked on your
>> pricey grill.

>Living alone, I wouldn't spend money on any pricey grill myself.

Or on anything else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 16:46:45 -0600, jay > wrote:

>On 5/31/19 7:40 PM, wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 May 2019 21:08:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>> My Napoleon grill has an infrared side burner they call the Sizzle Zone.
>>> In seconds it heat to 1800 degrees, great for searing meats.
>>>
>>> No matter what kind of grill you have, I found the best for us is a 2"
>>> thick steak. We split one 2" rather than have a thinner steak each.
>>> You get a great sear on the outside and a juicy tender medium rare on
>>> the inside.
>>>

>> We prefer 2" thick chuck steak, well seared and medium rare... we like
>> it with Ruffino red, Chuck tastes like beef, ribeye tastes like
>> chicken... I see no point in a pricey grill for ribeye... rib should
>> be an oven roast. Rib steaks are sad.

>Chuck is a flavorful cut but requires your good teeth. Some can only
>eat after grinding. I like a nice prime NY stripper cooked over wood
>coals. I use my gas grill (NG) for the ease of a quick cook outside
>with little mess and also as an oven. I don't buy ribeye steaks but
>love the standing rib roast. Mostly don't care for the texture of the
>ribeye steak or the filet mignon.

Chuck steak is tender when not over cooked... and have proper steak
knives, not that stupid serrated crap that tears and mangles any
steak. Serve steak on a wooden tranchard with a sharp knife, A good
steak should never be served on a ceramic plate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> We prefer 2" thick chuck steak, well seared and medium rare... we like
>>> it with Ruffino red, Chuck tastes like beef, ribeye tastes like
>>> chicken... I see no point in a pricey grill for ribeye... rib should
>>> be an oven roast. Rib steaks are sad.

>> Chuck is a flavorful cut but requires your good teeth. Some can only
>> eat after grinding. I like a nice prime NY stripper cooked over wood
>> coals. I use my gas grill (NG) for the ease of a quick cook outside
>> with little mess and also as an oven. I don't buy ribeye steaks but
>> love the standing rib roast. Mostly don't care for the texture of the
>> ribeye steak or the filet mignon.

> Chuck steak is tender when not over cooked... and have proper steak
> knives, not that stupid serrated crap that tears and mangles any
> steak. Serve steak on a wooden tranchard with a sharp knife, A good
> steak should never be served on a ceramic plate.

Popeye, can't you leave the man alone? Why don't yoose go and hump
that old mexican wife our yours (or her mother or grandmother, if
she won't put put for yoose). They ain't been screwed since pancho
villa was a boy and did all three of them. Or get another old
wetback woman to pester.

Yoose are really more insane than john kunte or julie bovine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 May 2019 21:08:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> My Napoleon grill has an infrared side burner they call the Sizzle Zone.
> In seconds it heat to 1800 degrees, great for searing meats.
>
> No matter what kind of grill you have, I found the best for us is a 2"
> thick steak. We split one 2" rather than have a thinner steak each.
> You get a great sear on the outside and a juicy tender medium rare on
> the inside.
>
> I take the steak out about an hour before cooking, rub lightly with
> olive oil. Both side get salt, pepper, garlic powder.
>
> Get the grill as hot as you can. Put the steak on and sear the first
> side for 2 to 4 minutes, flip and repeat. Once seared, reduce the heat
> and cook to about 110 to 115 degrees internal. I had the grill at 450 to
> bake a couple of potatoes so I moved the steak there to finish. Remove
> and rest a minimum of 5 minutes and you have a great medium rare steak.
>
> Depending on grill temperature and desired doneness, adjust as you see
> fit, but this is a great starting point. Tonight we had rib eye but it
> works well with a nice porterhouse too. Heat your oven if you don't
> have a grill and sear in a pan.
>
> Don't forget to let the wine breath.

If you've got infrared then next you need an immersion circulator.
90% electric and only short bursts of propane fuel (not a fossil
fuel). It should be Kuthe-approved.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 May 2019 21:40:59 -0400, wrote:

> On Fri, 31 May 2019 21:08:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>My Napoleon grill has an infrared side burner they call the Sizzle Zone.
>> In seconds it heat to 1800 degrees, great for searing meats.
>>
>>No matter what kind of grill you have, I found the best for us is a 2"
>>thick steak. We split one 2" rather than have a thinner steak each.
>>You get a great sear on the outside and a juicy tender medium rare on
>>the inside.
>>
>>I take the steak out about an hour before cooking, rub lightly with
>>olive oil. Both side get salt, pepper, garlic powder.
>>
>>Get the grill as hot as you can. Put the steak on and sear the first
>>side for 2 to 4 minutes, flip and repeat. Once seared, reduce the heat
>>and cook to about 110 to 115 degrees internal. I had the grill at 450 to
>>bake a couple of potatoes so I moved the steak there to finish. Remove
>>and rest a minimum of 5 minutes and you have a great medium rare steak.
>>
>>Depending on grill temperature and desired doneness, adjust as you see
>>fit, but this is a great starting point. Tonight we had rib eye but it
>>works well with a nice porterhouse too. Heat your oven if you don't
>>have a grill and sear in a pan.
>>
>>Don't forget to let the wine breath.

> We prefer 2" thick chuck steak, well seared and medium rare...

Jesus. I don't think this guy knows how to cook or eat. 2" chuck
roast as medium rare steak!?!?! Who the **** does that?!?!?

Nobody. It's unheard of in all culinary circles.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2019 12:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The Napoleon was a pricey treat for myself and it is used often.Â* There
> is just the two of us, but occasionally four or six.Â* I also had a
> chance to pipe natural gas to it when the house was built.Â* Probably
> never a payback over propane, but worth it for the convenience.Â* No
> hauling and changing tanks.
>
> All the goat barns on the street have gas for cooking and hot water so
> it was just an extension of the piping.

When my middle brother built his house he had a gas line run for his
grill, too.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/19 5:48 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> jay wrote:

>>> We prefer 2" thick chuck steak, well seared and medium rare... we like
>>> it with Ruffino red,Â* Chuck tastes like beef, ribeye tastes like
>>> chicken... I see no point in a pricey grill for ribeye... rib should
>>> be an oven roast. Rib steaks are sad.

>> Chuck is a flavorful cut but requires your good teeth.Â* Some can only
>> eat after grinding.Â* I like a nice prime NY stripper cooked over wood
>> coals.Â* I use my gas grill (NG) for the ease of a quick cook outside
>> with little mess and also as an oven.Â* I don't buy ribeye steaks but
>> love the standing rib roast. Mostly don't care for the texture of the
>> ribeye steak or the filet mignon.

> Yoose better retract this foolish statement till yoose canÂ* clear it
> with Popeye.

OK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 31 May 2019 21:08:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> My Napoleon grill has an infrared side burner they call the Sizzle Zone.
>> In seconds it heat to 1800 degrees, great for searing meats.
>>
>> No matter what kind of grill you have, I found the best for us is a 2"
>> thick steak. We split one 2" rather than have a thinner steak each.
>> You get a great sear on the outside and a juicy tender medium rare on
>> the inside.
>>
>> I take the steak out about an hour before cooking, rub lightly with
>> olive oil. Both side get salt, pepper, garlic powder.
>>
>> Get the grill as hot as you can. Put the steak on and sear the first
>> side for 2 to 4 minutes, flip and repeat. Once seared, reduce the heat
>> and cook to about 110 to 115 degrees internal. I had the grill at 450 to
>> bake a couple of potatoes so I moved the steak there to finish. Remove
>> and rest a minimum of 5 minutes and you have a great medium rare steak.
>>
>> Depending on grill temperature and desired doneness, adjust as you see
>> fit, but this is a great starting point. Tonight we had rib eye but it
>> works well with a nice porterhouse too. Heat your oven if you don't
>> have a grill and sear in a pan.
>>
>> Don't forget to let the wine breath.

> If you've got infrared then next you need an immersion circulator.
> 90% electric and only short bursts of propane fuel (not a fossil
> fuel). It should be Kuthe-approved.
>
> -sw

Maybe so, but I bet it ain't Popeye approved.