Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner on the fly.

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 3:08:43 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:39:51 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> snip
> >Yep, I have a cell phone but it stays off for perhaps a few times per month.
> >My cell phone is for emergencies only and not as an entertainment venue for
> >anyone. I was just at a site a few minutes ago and to be able to access it,
> >the turds had to send me code by text. I have to go get my phone, turn it
> >on, wait for it power up, unlock the screen, and THEN see the code they
> >sent.
> >

> that's a pretty common Internet protocol for capturing forgotten
> passwords for the computer.

It was not forgotten password, I have ALL of them written down with user name,
any 'secret' questions, due dates, etc. This one site ONLY wants to let you
access your information AFTER they've sent you a code to enter at their website.
Doesn't matter if your user name and password is correct, gotta get into their
site with an access code. It's great to be a secure site but then it can be
taken to ridiculous measures, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

wrote:

> On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 3:08:43 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:39:51 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > snip
> > >Yep, I have a cell phone but it stays off for perhaps a few times per month.
> > >My cell phone is for emergencies only and not as an entertainment venue for
> > >anyone. I was just at a site a few minutes ago and to be able to access it,
> > >the turds had to send me code by text. I have to go get my phone, turn it
> > >on, wait for it power up, unlock the screen, and THEN see the code they
> > >sent.
> > >

> > that's a pretty common Internet protocol for capturing forgotten
> > passwords for the computer.
> >

> It was not forgotten password, I have ALL of them written down with user name,
> any 'secret' questions, due dates, etc. This one site ONLY wants to let you
> access your information AFTER they've sent you a code to enter at their website.
> Doesn't matter if your user name and password is correct, gotta get into their
> site with an access code. It's great to be a secure site but then it can be
> taken to ridiculous measures, too.

Yup, my bank used to confirm password authorization by either email or phone text, now only phone text. Like you, I barely use a phone, but always have computer access, it is annoying to fiddle with turning my phone on...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 4:29:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 3:08:43 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:39:51 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > snip
> > >Yep, I have a cell phone but it stays off for perhaps a few times per month.
> > >My cell phone is for emergencies only and not as an entertainment venue for
> > >anyone. I was just at a site a few minutes ago and to be able to access it,
> > >the turds had to send me code by text. I have to go get my phone, turn it
> > >on, wait for it power up, unlock the screen, and THEN see the code they
> > >sent.
> > >

> > that's a pretty common Internet protocol for capturing forgotten
> > passwords for the computer.
> >

> It was not forgotten password, I have ALL of them written down with user name,
> any 'secret' questions, due dates, etc. This one site ONLY wants to let you
> access your information AFTER they've sent you a code to enter at their website.
> Doesn't matter if your user name and password is correct, gotta get into their
> site with an access code. It's great to be a secure site but then it can be
> taken to ridiculous measures, too.

One of my credit cards has a similar two-factor authentication protocol
every time I log in. It's annoying but reassuring.

Cindy Hamilton