Old 16-04-2019, 05:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sqwertz's All-Purpose Spicy Italian Relish

Sqwertz's all-purpose spicy Italian relish (Sapsir). For Italian
hoagies/beef sandwiches, pizza topping, meatball sandwiches,
muffaletta, or most any sausage sandwich (including hot dogs). I
always have a jar of this shit in the fridge. Because I can't find
any giardiniera I like in the supermarkets (besides Enrico Formella
at Tuesday Morning for twice the price). The result is mildly
spicy/hot.

Drain and reserve all liquids (except from olives, throw that
away).. No measurements are exact except for the first one.
Ingredients are flexible, to taste,. Start with something resembling
this.

1 Jar Mezzettas California Hot Mix (break up large cauliflower)

1 Jar's worth of of mixed de-stemmed, stabbed and drained pickled
peppers (50% pepperoncinis and no more than 25% pickled jalapenos)

4oz of green olives (Tassos double-stuffed from Coscto)

3oz of California black or Kalamata olives

3oz of jarred/canned roasted and/or marinated red peppers (Mt. Olive
brand rocks!)

2 large cloves of garlic, pressed or chopped.

1 heaping ts of dried mixed Italian seasoning (oregano, basil,
thyme)

Pulse all in a food processor until pea-sized (4 1-second pulses for
me). Tamp down into a 32oz jar (empty Tassos double-stuffed olive
jar). Barely cover with 25% EVOO and 75% regular olive oil. Allow to
meditate 24 hours or up to unknown months.

https://imgur.com/CP3aQfI

-sw

Old 16-04-2019, 05:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 23:10:12 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

[...]

that looks really good. I'll think about it. It may have a little
too much bite for me. I'm mostly wondering about the Mezettas Hot Mix
Janet US
Old 16-04-2019, 06:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

It all comes out pretty mild. Most of the heat comes from your
choice of peppers. 50% pepperoncinis are fairly mild (when mixed
with all the other ingredients). 25% pickled jalapeno peppers add a
lot of heat. Pepperoncinis and banana and/or mild cherry peppers?
You'll be fine.

Mezzetta also makes a milder California mix (or something very
similar - they may call it giardinera, but it's not Chicago-style).

-sw