FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sqwertz's All-Purpose Spicy Italian Relish (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/446517-sqwertzs-all-purpose-spicy.html)

Sqwertz[_53_] 16-04-2019 05:10 AM

Sqwertz's All-Purpose Spicy Italian Relish

Sqwertz's all-purpose spicy Italian relish (Sapsir). For Italian
hoagies/beef sandwiches, pizza topping, meatball sandwiches,
muffaletta, or most any sausage sandwich (including hot dogs). I
always have a jar of this shit in the fridge. Because I can't find
any giardiniera I like in the supermarkets (besides Enrico Formella
at Tuesday Morning for twice the price). The result is mildly
spicy/hot.

Drain and reserve all liquids (except from olives, throw that
away).. No measurements are exact except for the first one.
Ingredients are flexible, to taste,. Start with something resembling
this.

1 Jar Mezzettas California Hot Mix (break up large cauliflower)

1 Jar's worth of of mixed de-stemmed, stabbed and drained pickled
peppers (50% pepperoncinis and no more than 25% pickled jalapenos)

4oz of green olives (Tassos double-stuffed from Coscto)

3oz of California black or Kalamata olives

3oz of jarred/canned roasted and/or marinated red peppers (Mt. Olive
brand rocks!)

2 large cloves of garlic, pressed or chopped.

1 heaping ts of dried mixed Italian seasoning (oregano, basil,
thyme)

Pulse all in a food processor until pea-sized (4 1-second pulses for
me). Tamp down into a 32oz jar (empty Tassos double-stuffed olive
jar). Barely cover with 25% EVOO and 75% regular olive oil. Allow to
meditate 24 hours or up to unknown months.

https://imgur.com/CP3aQfI

-sw

U.S. Janet B. 16-04-2019 05:42 AM

Sqwertz's All-Purpose Spicy Italian Relish

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 23:10:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Sqwertz's all-purpose spicy Italian relish (Sapsir). For Italian
>hoagies/beef sandwiches, pizza topping, meatball sandwiches,
>muffaletta, or most any sausage sandwich (including hot dogs). I
>always have a jar of this shit in the fridge. Because I can't find
>any giardiniera I like in the supermarkets (besides Enrico Formella
>at Tuesday Morning for twice the price). The result is mildly
>spicy/hot.
>
>Drain and reserve all liquids (except from olives, throw that
>away).. No measurements are exact except for the first one.
>Ingredients are flexible, to taste,. Start with something resembling
>this.
>
>1 Jar Mezzettas California Hot Mix (break up large cauliflower)
>
>1 Jar's worth of of mixed de-stemmed, stabbed and drained pickled
>peppers (50% pepperoncinis and no more than 25% pickled jalapenos)
>
>4oz of green olives (Tassos double-stuffed from Coscto)
>
>3oz of California black or Kalamata olives
>
>3oz of jarred/canned roasted and/or marinated red peppers (Mt. Olive
>brand rocks!)
>
>2 large cloves of garlic, pressed or chopped.
>
>1 heaping ts of dried mixed Italian seasoning (oregano, basil,
>thyme)
>
>Pulse all in a food processor until pea-sized (4 1-second pulses for
>me). Tamp down into a 32oz jar (empty Tassos double-stuffed olive
>jar). Barely cover with 25% EVOO and 75% regular olive oil. Allow to
>meditate 24 hours or up to unknown months.
>
>https://imgur.com/CP3aQfI
>
>-sw

that looks really good. I'll think about it. It may have a little
too much bite for me. I'm mostly wondering about the Mezettas Hot Mix
Janet US

Sqwertz[_53_] 16-04-2019 06:03 AM

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 22:42:56 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 23:10:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>Sqwertz's all-purpose spicy Italian relish (Sapsir). For Italian
>>hoagies/beef sandwiches, pizza topping, meatball sandwiches,
>>muffaletta, or most any sausage sandwich (including hot dogs). I
>>always have a jar of this shit in the fridge. Because I can't find
>>any giardiniera I like in the supermarkets (besides Enrico Formella
>>at Tuesday Morning for twice the price). The result is mildly
>>spicy/hot.
>>
>>Drain and reserve all liquids (except from olives, throw that
>>away).. No measurements are exact except for the first one.
>>Ingredients are flexible, to taste,. Start with something resembling
>>this.
>>
>>1 Jar Mezzettas California Hot Mix (break up large cauliflower)
>>
>>1 Jar's worth of of mixed de-stemmed, stabbed and drained pickled
>>peppers (50% pepperoncinis and no more than 25% pickled jalapenos)
>>
>>4oz of green olives (Tassos double-stuffed from Coscto)
>>
>>3oz of California black or Kalamata olives
>>
>>3oz of jarred/canned roasted and/or marinated red peppers (Mt. Olive
>>brand rocks!)
>>
>>2 large cloves of garlic, pressed or chopped.
>>
>>1 heaping ts of dried mixed Italian seasoning (oregano, basil,
>>thyme)
>>
>>Pulse all in a food processor until pea-sized (4 1-second pulses for
>>me). Tamp down into a 32oz jar (empty Tassos double-stuffed olive
>>jar). Barely cover with 25% EVOO and 75% regular olive oil. Allow to
>>meditate 24 hours or up to unknown months.
>>
>>https://imgur.com/CP3aQfI
>>
>>-sw

> that looks really good. I'll think about it. It may have a little
> too much bite for me. I'm mostly wondering about the Mezettas Hot Mix
> Janet US

It all comes out pretty mild. Most of the heat comes from your
choice of peppers. 50% pepperoncinis are fairly mild (when mixed
with all the other ingredients). 25% pickled jalapeno peppers add a
lot of heat. Pepperoncinis and banana and/or mild cherry peppers?
You'll be fine.

Mezzetta also makes a milder California mix (or something very
similar - they may call it giardinera, but it's not Chicago-style).

-sw