Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz[_53_] Sqwertz[_53_] is offline

Default Sqwertz's All-Purpose Spicy Italian Relish

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 22:42:56 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 23:10:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>Sqwertz's all-purpose spicy Italian relish (Sapsir). For Italian
>>hoagies/beef sandwiches, pizza topping, meatball sandwiches,
>>muffaletta, or most any sausage sandwich (including hot dogs). I
>>always have a jar of this shit in the fridge. Because I can't find
>>any giardiniera I like in the supermarkets (besides Enrico Formella
>>at Tuesday Morning for twice the price). The result is mildly
>>spicy/hot.
>>
>>Drain and reserve all liquids (except from olives, throw that
>>away).. No measurements are exact except for the first one.
>>Ingredients are flexible, to taste,. Start with something resembling
>>this.
>>
>>1 Jar Mezzettas California Hot Mix (break up large cauliflower)
>>
>>1 Jar's worth of of mixed de-stemmed, stabbed and drained pickled
>>peppers (50% pepperoncinis and no more than 25% pickled jalapenos)
>>
>>4oz of green olives (Tassos double-stuffed from Coscto)
>>
>>3oz of California black or Kalamata olives
>>
>>3oz of jarred/canned roasted and/or marinated red peppers (Mt. Olive
>>brand rocks!)
>>
>>2 large cloves of garlic, pressed or chopped.
>>
>>1 heaping ts of dried mixed Italian seasoning (oregano, basil,
>>thyme)
>>
>>Pulse all in a food processor until pea-sized (4 1-second pulses for
>>me). Tamp down into a 32oz jar (empty Tassos double-stuffed olive
>>jar). Barely cover with 25% EVOO and 75% regular olive oil. Allow to
>>meditate 24 hours or up to unknown months.
>>
>>https://imgur.com/CP3aQfI
>>
>>-sw

> that looks really good. I'll think about it. It may have a little
> too much bite for me. I'm mostly wondering about the Mezettas Hot Mix
> Janet US

It all comes out pretty mild. Most of the heat comes from your
choice of peppers. 50% pepperoncinis are fairly mild (when mixed
with all the other ingredients). 25% pickled jalapeno peppers add a
lot of heat. Pepperoncinis and banana and/or mild cherry peppers?
You'll be fine.

Mezzetta also makes a milder California mix (or something very
similar - they may call it giardinera, but it's not Chicago-style).

-sw