Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sqwertz's Spicy Shrimp Gazpacho/Ceviche (was: July 4th Dinner and Smashed Potatoes)

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 07:10:56 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:

>> My special spicy shrimp ceviche/gazpacho is always a winner,

> Tell me more about that one. sounds interesting.

This is one of the few recipes I've written down. It does use a
couple branded, "processed" products (Clamato and Herdez/Rotel) whcih
is it's only shame. I woulnd't NOT use Herdez and Clamato (and never
V-8). I've tried other combos and these work well. And of course
everybody knows that the canned Herdez Salsa Casera is the best retail
salsa there is ;-)

I used one each green/red/yellow Thai Bird Chiles in place of serrano
and japs this time. Very spicy.

****

One of my favorite preps, a Sqwertz Original. This started out as a
simple shrimp ceviche, then morphed into a Mexican shrimp cocktail,
and is a full blown "chunky shrimp gazpacho".

The shrimp may be cooked or left raw. I like the texture of the raw,
acid-cooked shrimp, but I prefer the taste of cooked shrimp. So you
decide: raw or cooked shrimp. When 25/30-count raw shrimp are split
in half lengthwise, they will cook in this mixture in 6-8 hours.

This is acidic, flavorful, colorful, crisp and refreshing as a drink
and an appetizer. And one of the rare recipes I have written down
(just now).

1 can of Herdez Salsa Casera (preferred) or about half a can of Rotel
and all it's juice.
Half of a cucumber, peeled, seeded and chunked to 1/4"
1/3 - 1/2 Half pound of medium shrimp, deveined, peeled, sliced in
half lengthwise (and optionally cooked)
Juice of 3 key limes or one large lime. Or 1TB rice vinegar.
1 each jalapeno and serrano, DEVEINED and SEEDED and sliced thinly.
2 Tablespoon finely chopped red onion (or white, or yellow)
1/2 Tablespoon of capers
1 clove garlic, pressed
16-20oz of Clamato (or V8 I suppose - but I don't like V8)
Pinch of crumbled dried thyme
Pinch of ground celery seed
2/3 teaspoon of sugar (to taste, but use at least this much)

Mix everything together and let sit in the fridge overnight. I serve
in chilled Belgian ale chalices with a spoon for sipping and spooning.

If it's too tart you can add a _very light dusting_ of baking soda to
neutralize the acids and just use less vinegar next time.

-sw