Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ordered a new rhubarb

After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
really broad stalks and lots of them
I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.

I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
themselves are throw aways.

I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
pie and kuchen.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-09 4:59 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
> really broad stalks and lots of them
> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>
> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
> themselves are throw aways.

I didn't think that it was possible to kill rhubarb, but I lost some
thanks to a black walnut tree. I started over but it takes a couple
years before those things start producing. I am afraid that the new
location is starting to be affected by another nearby black walnut. The
nearby black current and blueberries aren't producing at all.

> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
> pie and kuchen.

Mine all goes to pies or coffee cakes. I found that all you need to do
to freeze rhubarb is to stick it in a back and put it in the freezer,
not sugar needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 17:30:43 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-09 4:59 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>
>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>> themselves are throw aways.
>>

>I didn't think that it was possible to kill rhubarb, but I lost some
>thanks to a black walnut tree. I started over but it takes a couple
>years before those things start producing. I am afraid that the new
>location is starting to be affected by another nearby black walnut. The
>nearby black current and blueberries aren't producing at all.
>

>> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>> pie and kuchen.

>Mine all goes to pies or coffee cakes. I found that all you need to do
>to freeze rhubarb is to stick it in a back and put it in the freezer,
>not sugar needed.

I assume that you are keeping all the black walnut leaves picked up?
That's about all you can do. I don't know if encroaching roots are
able to 'poison' the soil. Good luck with that.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-09 5:49 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 17:30:43 -0500, Dave Smith

> I assume that you are keeping all the black walnut leaves picked up?
> That's about all you can do. I don't know if encroaching roots are
> able to 'poison' the soil. Good luck with that.

From what I have read, the toxic jugalone is mainly in the roots, buds
and nut hull and there is not much in the leaves or stems. The
squirrels gather up most of the nuts and take them to various locations
to be processed because I see piles of rotten old hulls around those
spots. The leaves get mulched by the mower. It doesn't seem to bother
the grass. On the contrary, some of my thickest and weed free stretches
of lawn are around the black walnut trees. Chives have been growing
wild around one of them for the 40 plus years I have lived here.
One of my spring projects is to move the black currants and blue
berries away from the black walnut trees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>really broad stalks and lots of them
> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>
>I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>themselves are throw aways.
>
>I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>pie and kuchen.
>
>Janet US

I have never tasted rhubarb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
> really broad stalks and lots of them
> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>
> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
> themselves are throw aways.
>
> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
> pie and kuchen.
>
> Janet US

When we first moved into the house we bought in WA (as a child), there
appeared to be two beautiful rhubarb plants behind the flowering quince. A
neighbor confirmed that they were in fact rhubarb but my parents wouldn't
let me eat either the quince or the rhubarb, thinking them to be poison.
Even though I promised to cook them both, they still told me to keep away.
My dad ripped out the rhubarb and eventually. the quince.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/9/2019 5:49 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I assume that you are keeping all the black walnut leaves picked up?
> That's about all you can do. I don't know if encroaching roots are
> able to 'poison' the soil. Good luck with that.

Yes, the roots do damage to many plants - which is why I no longer have
rhubarb. Mostly the juglone damages the plants I want, but not the weeds
I'd like to get rid of...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/9/2019 7:21 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>

>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>
>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>> themselves are throw aways.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>> pie and kuchen.
>>
>> Janet US

> I have never tasted rhubarb.

I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
popular in some regions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 20:37:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/9/2019 7:21 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>>
>>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>>> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>>> themselves are throw aways.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>>> pie and kuchen.
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> I have never tasted rhubarb.
>>

>I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
>popular in some regions.

It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
merry old England.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/9/2019 7:21 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>>
>>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>>> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>>>
>>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>>> themselves are throw aways.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>>> pie and kuchen.
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> I have never tasted rhubarb.
>>

> I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
> popular in some regions.

It's nasty, bitter stuff. Seems popular in some areas as you say. Some
rural towns in the midwest especially.

I've ate (or tried to eat) some rhubarb pies there. All I could taste
was pure sugar. I think the stuff is so bitter and nasty tasting that a
hell of a lot of sugar is needed to try to make it palatable, but this
was a fail for me. I'd rather eat spoonfuls of pure cane sugar ... no
need for the nasty ass rhubarb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>
>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>
>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>>
>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>> themselves are throw aways.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>> pie and kuchen.
>>
>> Janet US

> When we first moved into the house we bought in WA (as a child), there
> appeared to be two beautiful rhubarb plants behind the flowering quince.
> A neighbor confirmed that they were in fact rhubarb but my parents
> wouldn't let me eat either the quince or the rhubarb, thinking them to
> be poison. Even though I promised to cook them both, they still told me
> to keep away. My dad ripped out the rhubarb and eventually. the quince.

A smart man, and apparently a hell of a good gardener. Yoose should have
kept him instead of the bum yoose have now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 19:21:22 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>

>>After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>>really broad stalks and lots of them
>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>>were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>
>>I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>>blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>>https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>>Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>>that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>>stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>>themselves are throw aways.
>>
>>I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>>pie and kuchen.
>>
>>Janet US

>I have never tasted rhubarb.

You gotta be kidding, with all the cooking and gardening you do...
next time you go to a real bakery buy a strawberry rhubarb pie...
orgasmic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:50:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .

>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>
>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>> themselves are throw aways.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>> pie and kuchen.
>>
>> Janet US

>When we first moved into the house we bought in WA (as a child), there
>appeared to be two beautiful rhubarb plants behind the flowering quince. A
>neighbor confirmed that they were in fact rhubarb but my parents wouldn't
>let me eat either the quince or the rhubarb, thinking them to be poison.
>Even though I promised to cook them both, they still told me to keep away.
>My dad ripped out the rhubarb and eventually. the quince.

Rhubarb leaves are indeed toxic. There are many plants that produce
ordinary produce that her highly toxic... tomato plants are quite
toxic... tomatoes are in the nightshade family, the leaves, stems. and
roots are very toxic, same for potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:46:18 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 20:37:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >On 2/9/2019 7:21 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> >> I have never tasted rhubarb.
> >>

> >I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
> >popular in some regions.

> It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
> make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
> merry old England.

Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and make
all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
Thomas of its worth.
======
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 7:04:07 PM UTC-7, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:50:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> .. .
> >>
> >> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
> >> really broad stalks and lots of them
> >> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
> >> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
> >>
> >> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
> >> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
> >> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
> >> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
> >> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
> >> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
> >> themselves are throw aways.
> >>
> >> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
> >> pie and kuchen.
> >>
> >> Janet US

> >When we first moved into the house we bought in WA (as a child), there
> >appeared to be two beautiful rhubarb plants behind the flowering quince. A
> >neighbor confirmed that they were in fact rhubarb but my parents wouldn't
> >let me eat either the quince or the rhubarb, thinking them to be poison.
> >Even though I promised to cook them both, they still told me to keep away.
> >My dad ripped out the rhubarb and eventually. the quince.

> Rhubarb leaves are indeed toxic. There are many plants that produce
> ordinary produce that her highly toxic... tomato plants are quite
> toxic... tomatoes are in the nightshade family, the leaves, stems. and
> roots are very toxic, same for potatoes.

Some of the most toxic posters are on this site as well.
======

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet, I find it unusual your rhubarb died...it has been my experience that you can do anything
to the plants and they never die. ;-))

Mine used to produce blossom stalks, but I just cut those off or pulled them out, and would
have rhubarb most of the spring and summer. Although the early stuff was the best.

Have you ever had rhubarb sauce on chocolate cake? I had a neighbor who asked for that
dessert every year on his birthday. It's pretty tasty.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 18:53:26 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

>On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:46:18 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:

>> >I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
>> >popular in some regions.

>> It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
>> make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
>> merry old England.

>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and make
>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>Thomas of its worth.
>======

I think rhubarb's an Anglo hobby. To each culture their own. Enjoy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am not fond of any adulteration of rhubarb pie....but love just plain rhubarb with
a flaky, tasty bottom crust and a lattice pastry top crust.

Our Blue-Ribbon Barb posted a rhubarb cake (kind of a simple "dump"' cake years
ago, and it is spectacularly easy and very good. Do a Google group search and I
bet you can find it. (I don't have it handy, or I would post it.)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 18:56:17 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

>On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 7:04:07 PM UTC-7, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:50:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >When we first moved into the house we bought in WA (as a child), there
>> >appeared to be two beautiful rhubarb plants behind the flowering quince. A
>> >neighbor confirmed that they were in fact rhubarb but my parents wouldn't
>> >let me eat either the quince or the rhubarb, thinking them to be poison.
>> >Even though I promised to cook them both, they still told me to keep away.
>> >My dad ripped out the rhubarb and eventually. the quince.

>> Rhubarb leaves are indeed toxic. There are many plants that produce
>> ordinary produce that her highly toxic... tomato plants are quite
>> toxic... tomatoes are in the nightshade family, the leaves, stems. and
>> roots are very toxic, same for potatoes.

>Some of the most toxic posters are on this site as well.
>======

Toxic posters? I thought it was a bunch of jolly hobbits here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-09 10:17 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> I am not fond of any adulteration of rhubarb pie....but love just plain rhubarb with
> a flaky, tasty bottom crust and a lattice pastry top crust.

Bravo. It is a waste of strawberries and a waste of good rhubarb.

> Our Blue-Ribbon Barb posted a rhubarb cake (kind of a simple "dump"' cake years
> ago, and it is spectacularly easy and very good. Do a Google group search and I
> bet you can find it. (I don't have it handy, or I would post it.)
>
> N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
really broad stalks and lots of them
I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.

I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
themselves are throw aways.

I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
pie and kuchen.

Janet US

==

Good luck! Ours died a few years ago but I never replaced it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 20:37:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/9/2019 7:21 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>>
>>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>>> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>>> themselves are throw aways.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>>> pie and kuchen.
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> I have never tasted rhubarb.
>>

>I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
>popular in some regions.

It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
merry old England.

==

When we were children, we used to get a stick of rhubarb and a bag of sugar
to dip into

No, I haven't done that since

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" wrote in message

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:46:18 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 20:37:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >On 2/9/2019 7:21 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> >> I have never tasted rhubarb.
> >>

> >I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
> >popular in some regions.

> It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
> make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
> merry old England.

Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
make
all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
Thomas of its worth.
======

Yes, it's lovely in pies etc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

Well given that the USians are talking about it, don't you think you might
be wrong?? Hmmm???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:17:44 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 18:53:26 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:46:18 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
>>> make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
>>> merry old England.

>>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>>make
>>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>>Thomas of its worth.
>>======

>I think rhubarb's an Anglo hobby. To each culture their own. Enjoy!
>
>--
>
>Well given that the USians are talking about it, don't you think you might
>be wrong?? Hmmm???

But they're your colony!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:16:46 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Roy" wrote in message
>
>On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:46:18 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:

>> >I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
>> >popular in some regions.

>> It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
>> make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
>> merry old England.

>Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and
>make
>all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
>A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
>Thomas of its worth.
>======
>
>Yes, it's lovely in pies etc

See?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 07:16:17 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 20:37:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 2/9/2019 7:21 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> I have never tasted rhubarb.
>>>

>>I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
>>popular in some regions.

>It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
>make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
>merry old England.
>
>==
>
>When we were children, we used to get a stick of rhubarb and a bag of sugar
>to dip into
>
>No, I haven't done that since

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>>
>>> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
>>> really broad stalks and lots of them
>>> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
>>> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>>>
>>> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
>>> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
>>> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
>>>
>>> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
>>> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
>>> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
>>> themselves are throw aways.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
>>> pie and kuchen.
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> When we first moved into the house we bought in WA (as a child), there
>> appeared to be two beautiful rhubarb plants behind the flowering quince.
>> A neighbor confirmed that they were in fact rhubarb but my parents
>> wouldn't let me eat either the quince or the rhubarb, thinking them to
>> be poison. Even though I promised to cook them both, they still told me
>> to keep away. My dad ripped out the rhubarb and eventually. the quince.

> A smart man, and apparently a hell of a good gardener. Yoose should have
> kept him instead of the bum yoose have now.

He's gardening up in heaven now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 7:04:07 PM UTC-7, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:50:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >When we first moved into the house we bought in WA (as a child), there
>> >appeared to be two beautiful rhubarb plants behind the flowering quince.
>> >neighbor confirmed that they were in fact rhubarb but my parents
>> >wouldn't
>> >let me eat either the quince or the rhubarb, thinking them to be poison.
>> >Even though I promised to cook them both, they still told me to keep
>> >away.
>> >My dad ripped out the rhubarb and eventually. the quince.

>> Rhubarb leaves are indeed toxic. There are many plants that produce
>> ordinary produce that her highly toxic... tomato plants are quite
>> toxic... tomatoes are in the nightshade family, the leaves, stems. and
>> roots are very toxic, same for potatoes.

> Some of the most toxic posters are on this site as well.
> ======

Bwahaha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I am not fond of any adulteration of rhubarb pie....but love just plain rhubarb with
> a flaky, tasty bottom crust and a lattice pastry top crust.
>
> Our Blue-Ribbon Barb posted a rhubarb cake (kind of a simple "dump"' cake years
> ago, and it is spectacularly easy and very good. Do a Google group search and I
> bet you can find it. (I don't have it handy, or I would post it.)

She has it on the RFC site.

Signature dish page is -
http://www.recfoodcooking.org/signature.php

Direct link to that recipe -
http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/B...rd%20Cake.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 2:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> When we were children, we used to get a stick of rhubarb and a bag of
> sugar to dip into

That was my mother's favourite way to eat it - me, I prefer it cooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
> really broad stalks and lots of them
> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>
> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.

https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
> themselves are throw aways.

I just pull them off as soon as I spot them.

This morning I noticed new buds on my rhubarb, and put a big pot over
it to force some tender early stems.

My grandfather taught me to dig a really big planting pit for rhubarb
and fill it with a lot of biodegradable material that will decay slowly
over years providing a longterm food supply. I use manure, roadkill,
bones abandoned by dog, old leather (boots, belts, bags) and old wool
(blankets, sheep fleece,clothes).

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>

> >After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
> >really broad stalks and lots of them
> > I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
> >were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
> >
> >I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
> >blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.

https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
> >Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
> >that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
> >stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
> >themselves are throw aways.
> >
> >I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
> >pie and kuchen.
> >
> >Janet US

> I have never tasted rhubarb.

You're missing an oldfashioned treat.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 2/9/2019 7:21 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html

> >> I have never tasted rhubarb.
> >>

> > I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
> > popular in some regions.

> It's nasty, bitter stuff. Seems popular in some areas as you say. Some
> rural towns in the midwest especially.
>
> I've ate (or tried to eat) some rhubarb pies there. All I could taste
> was pure sugar. I think the stuff is so bitter and nasty tasting that a
> hell of a lot of sugar is needed to try to make it palatable, but this
> was a fail for me. I'd rather eat spoonfuls of pure cane sugar ... no
> need for the nasty ass rhubarb.

Blame the incompetent cooks who didn't know what they were doing.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 9:53:30 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
> On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:46:18 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:

> > >I have. Once. I have no idea why anyone would grow it but it seems
> > >popular in some regions.

> > It's too sour to eat on its own, so you have to add a lot of sugar to
> > make it edible. Sounds pretty useless to me. I think it's popular in
> > merry old England.

> Rhubarb is a wonderful plant. Those who grew up with it appreciate it and make
> all kinds of wonderful pies, tarts, puddings, etc., from it.
> A bit of reading and trial and error will convince even the most doubtful
> Thomas of its worth.
> ======

Not the Doubting Thomas to whom I'm married. He won't touch it.

I have to admit, it can be kind of slimy. I'd rather have fruit, and
given modern food transportation and preservation technology, I don't
have to look forward to that first fruity taste of fresh rhubarb after
a long winter of dried stuff. I can just nip over to the bakery in
my car and buy whatever kind of pie I like, year round. And theirs is
better than mine.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you, Gary, for posting the link to Barb's rhubarb recipe.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-10 6:16 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/10/2019 2:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> When we were children, we used to get a stick of rhubarb and a bag of
>> sugar to dip into
>>

> That was my mother's favourite way to eat it - me, I prefer it cooked.

We used to eat it straight out of the garden.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 2/10/2019 2:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> When we were children, we used to get a stick of rhubarb and a bag of
> sugar to dip into

That was my mother's favourite way to eat it - me, I prefer it cooked.

===

I do now

Just ordered a new cookbook Bryan-TGWWW General Cooking 16 07-02-2014 04:43 PM
Barb's Rhubarb Custard Cake: FROZEN RHUBARB? Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 13 26-10-2009 06:37 PM
Just ordered the new PC nemo Vegan 2 22-03-2007 06:55 AM
Just ordered new mobile pit D. Shelton Barbecue 0 01-11-2003 09:59 PM