Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I ordered a new rhubarb

On 2019-02-09 4:59 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> After decades of service, my old rhubarb died. It used to produce
> really broad stalks and lots of them
> I replaced it a couple of years ago but all the new plant produced
> were blossom stalks and a few skinny stalks.
>
> I ordered a new rhubarb yesterday. It promises to produce few or no
> blossom stalks. It looks like it will produce nice broad stalks.
> https://www.growerssolution.com/rhub...e-rhubarb.html
> Until I started looking around online for rhubarb I didn't realize
> that some rhubarb has a nasty habit of producing a lot of blossom
> stalks. The blossom stalks steal all the plant energy and the stalks
> themselves are throw aways.

I didn't think that it was possible to kill rhubarb, but I lost some
thanks to a black walnut tree. I started over but it takes a couple
years before those things start producing. I am afraid that the new
location is starting to be affected by another nearby black walnut. The
nearby black current and blueberries aren't producing at all.

> I'm looking forward to a new crop in 2020. We enjoy rhubarb sauce,
> pie and kuchen.

Mine all goes to pies or coffee cakes. I found that all you need to do
to freeze rhubarb is to stick it in a back and put it in the freezer,
not sugar needed.