Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Just ordered a new cookbook

My wife has checked this out from the library so many
times that we went ahead and bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451685874/

It's for kids, but she says it's the best beginner
cookbook for anyone of any age. By clicking on the
other sellers link, I ended up getting it for $7.99
with Prime shipping.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> My wife has checked this out from the library so many
> times that we went ahead and bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451685874/

> It's for kids, but she says it's the best beginner
> cookbook for anyone of any age. By clicking on the
> other sellers link, I ended up getting it for $7.99
> with Prime shipping.

That looks like a great book for kids. However, can you tell me are the
recipe measurements all in US cups? Or weights?

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:39:33 AM UTC-6, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
>
> says...
>

> > My wife has checked this out from the library so many

> > times that we went ahead and bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451685874/

> > It's for kids, but she says it's the best beginner

> > cookbook for anyone of any age. By clicking on the

> > other sellers link, I ended up getting it for $7.99

> > with Prime shipping.

> That looks like a great book for kids. However, can you tell me are the
>
> recipe measurements all in US cups? Or weights?

It's all in cups and teaspoons, but with as many recipes that are in
non-metric measures, it would behoove anyone who uses recipes to own
a cup calibrated both ways, and a teaspoon is so close to 5ml that
they are interchangeable.

Looks like a brand new copy would only cost £7.67 w/ shipping.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1451685874/

A nice gift for a kid, and since it's American, it'd be a bit exotic.

> Janet UK

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 11:39:33 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > My wife has checked this out from the library so many
> > times that we went ahead and bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451685874/

> > It's for kids, but she says it's the best beginner
> > cookbook for anyone of any age. By clicking on the
> > other sellers link, I ended up getting it for $7.99
> > with Prime shipping.

> That looks like a great book for kids. However, can you tell me are the
> recipe measurements all in US cups? Or weights?

If you'd taken a moment to "look inside", you'd see the recipes are in
measures... obviously written for an American audience.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 11:39:33 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,

says...

> > > My wife has checked this out from the library so many
> > > times that we went ahead and bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451685874/

> > > It's for kids, but she says it's the best beginner
> > > cookbook for anyone of any age. By clicking on the
> > > other sellers link, I ended up getting it for $7.99
> > > with Prime shipping.

> > That looks like a great book for kids. However, can you tell me are the
> > recipe measurements all in US cups? Or weights?
> >

> If you'd taken a moment to "look inside", you'd see the recipes are in
> measures... obviously written for an American audience.

Which is exactly why I asked.

I did look inside, and all the recipes I saw were in cups. However,
one of the Amazon reviews said

"Sadly, though, the measures are listed solely in U.S. imperial units".

That's why I asked Bryan, who has the book, if ALL the recipes are in
cups, because I can't see any in Imperial.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:06:14 PM UTC-6, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
>
> says...
>

> > On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 11:39:33 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> > > In article >,

says...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451685874/

> > > That looks like a great book for kids. However, can you tell me are the

> > > recipe measurements all in US cups? Or weights?

> > If you'd taken a moment to "look inside", you'd see the recipes are in

> > measures... obviously written for an American audience.

> Which is exactly why I asked.
>

> I did look inside, and all the recipes I saw were in cups. However,
>
> one of the Amazon reviews said
>

> "Sadly, though, the measures are listed solely in U.S. imperial units".
>

> That's why I asked Bryan, who has the book, if ALL the recipes are in
>
> cups, because I can't see any in Imperial.

Isn't it the case that even you Brits don't use imperial anymore for
anything other than pints of beer?

> Janet UK

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/6/2014 1:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> From my experience, a lot of Americans think that Imperial is
> synonymous with U.S. standard measurements.

Many seem to. And they are wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Janet > wrote:
>In article >,
>says...
>>
>> On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 11:39:33 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>>
>> > In article >,

says...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451685874/

>> > That looks like a great book for kids. However, can you tell me are the
>> > recipe measurements all in US cups? Or weights?
>> >

>> If you'd taken a moment to "look inside", you'd see the recipes are in
>> measures... obviously written for an American audience.

> Which is exactly why I asked.
>
> I did look inside, and all the recipes I saw were in cups. However,
>one of the Amazon reviews said
>
>"Sadly, though, the measures are listed solely in U.S. imperial units".
>
> That's why I asked Bryan, who has the book, if ALL the recipes are in
>cups, because I can't see any in Imperial.

The reviewer doesn't know the difference between U.S. and Imperial.
A lot of people don't. All I can remember is that an Imperial pint
is 20 ounces.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:32:08 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> In article > ,
>
> Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >,

> >says...

says...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451685874/

> >> If you'd taken a moment to "look inside", you'd see the recipes are in

> >> measures... obviously written for an American audience.

> > Which is exactly why I asked.

> > I did look inside, and all the recipes I saw were in cups. However,

> >one of the Amazon reviews said

> >"Sadly, though, the measures are listed solely in U.S. imperial units".

> > That's why I asked Bryan, who has the book, if ALL the recipes are in

> >cups, because I can't see any in Imperial.

> The reviewer doesn't know the difference between U.S. and Imperial.
>
> A lot of people don't. All I can remember is that an Imperial pint
>
> is 20 ounces.

Imperial pint--
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/574/

> Cindy Hamilton

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/6/2014 3:32 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> The reviewer doesn't know the difference between U.S. and Imperial.
> A lot of people don't. All I can remember is that an Imperial pint
> is 20 ounces.

Just to confuse things:
an Imperial pint=20 Imperial ounces=19.2152 US ounces

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
S Viemeister > wrote:
>On 2/6/2014 3:32 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> The reviewer doesn't know the difference between U.S. and Imperial.
>> A lot of people don't. All I can remember is that an Imperial pint
>> is 20 ounces.
>>

>Just to confuse things:
>an Imperial pint=20 Imperial ounces=19.2152 US ounces

Thanks. The difference between a US ounce and an Imperial
ounce is one of the many things I can't remember.

I recall a bit in... 1984? Brave New World? where some old
gaffer is complaining about the recently adopted metric system.
Half a liter of beer isn't enough; a whole liter is too much.
It didn't make much sense to me at first: half a liter is
very, very close to a U.S. pint.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,
> S Viemeister > wrote:
>>On 2/6/2014 3:32 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> The reviewer doesn't know the difference between U.S. and Imperial.
>>> A lot of people don't. All I can remember is that an Imperial pint
>>> is 20 ounces.
>>>

>>Just to confuse things:
>>an Imperial pint=20 Imperial ounces=19.2152 US ounces
>>

> Thanks. The difference between a US ounce and an Imperial
> ounce is one of the many things I can't remember.
>
> I recall a bit in... 1984? Brave New World? where some old
> gaffer is complaining about the recently adopted metric system.
> Half a liter of beer isn't enough; a whole liter is too much.
> It didn't make much sense to me at first: half a liter is
> very, very close to a U.S. pint.

And never the twain shall meet <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 3:19:39 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> In article >,
>
> S Viemeister > wrote:
>
> >On 2/6/2014 3:32 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> The reviewer doesn't know the difference between U.S. and Imperial.

> >> A lot of people don't. All I can remember is that an Imperial pint

> >> is 20 ounces.

> >Just to confuse things:

> >an Imperial pint=20 Imperial ounces=19.2152 US ounces

> Thanks. The difference between a US ounce and an Imperial
>
> ounce is one of the many things I can't remember.
>

> I recall a bit in... 1984? Brave New World? where some old
>
> gaffer is complaining about the recently adopted metric system.
>
> Half a liter of beer isn't enough; a whole liter is too much.
>
> It didn't make much sense to me at first: half a liter is
>
> very, very close to a U.S. pint.

As far as beer goes, a half liter isn't nearly enough, and a liter, well,
that's still not enough.

> Cindy Hamilton

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:06:14 PM UTC-5, Janet wrote:

> "Sadly, though, the measures are listed solely in U.S. imperial units".

Imperial measures for volume are not used in the USA. An imperial pint
is 20 ounces, in the USA a pit is 16 ounces.

Has anyone ordered from here? Value of competitions? TokyoB Tea 10 22-09-2008 03:04 AM
Just ordered the new PC nemo Vegan 2 22-03-2007 05:55 AM
I ordered my Knifes! Denise~* General Cooking 9 13-03-2005 09:26 AM
Just ordered new mobile pit D. Shelton Barbecue 0 01-11-2003 08:59 PM