Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dutch Crust

I always called it Dutch Crunch. It seems I didn't look at the package.
It is crunchy.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/evpzx8t4jkqbkk0/Dutch%20Crust.jpeg?dl=0>

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-21 10:48 a.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> I always called it Dutch Crunch. It seems I didn't look at the package.
> It is crunchy.
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/evpzx8t4jkqbkk0/Dutch%20Crust.jpeg?dl=0>
>
> leo

My version: https://postimg.cc/v4jJ37hZ

You paint the loaf prior to baking with a flour-water mix that forms the
distinctive pattern called "giraffe bread" by some.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 7:48:49 AM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> I always called it Dutch Crunch. It seems I didn't look at the package.
> It is crunchy.
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/evpzx8t4jkqbkk0/Dutch%20Crust.jpeg?dl=0>
>
> leo

I have bought this bread from the supermarket. By that time, it has lost its crunch. Mostly it's just Dutch bread. I guess you have to bake it yourself to get a Dutch crunch loaf.

https://i1.wp.com/www.ful-filled.com...5/IMG_9266.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-21 1:28 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 21 Dec 2018 10:48:46a, Leonard Blaisdell told us...
>
>> I always called it Dutch Crunch. It seems I didn't look at the
>> package. It is crunchy.
>>
>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/evpzx8t4jkqbkk0/Dutch%20Crust.jpeg?dl=0>
>>
>> leo
>>

> We don't have that here in AZ, but I would love to have one!

It's not difficult to make.

https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/tig...ad-by-allinson

I haven't been able to fathom why there is yeast in the topping but it's
probably easier to include it rather than risk a poor result.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

They're confused: Dutch crust, French bread. It seems to me that these
are just marketing terms for Americans. They're not really references
to a country of origin.

And it still looks like tiger bread to me.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 09:48:46 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>I always called it Dutch Crunch. It seems I didn't look at the package.
>It is crunchy.
>
><https://www.dropbox.com/s/evpzx8t4jkqbkk0/Dutch%20Crust.jpeg?dl=0>
>
>leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-21 6:41 p.m., Bruce wrote:
> They're confused: Dutch crust, French bread. It seems to me that these
> are just marketing terms for Americans. They're not really references
> to a country of origin.
>
> And it still looks like tiger bread to me.

It is! Although a little girl in England thought it should be re-named
"giraffe bread".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 18:54:49 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-12-21 6:41 p.m., Bruce wrote:
>> They're confused: Dutch crust, French bread. It seems to me that these
>> are just marketing terms for Americans. They're not really references
>> to a country of origin.
>>
>> And it still looks like tiger bread to me.
>>

>It is! Although a little girl in England thought it should be re-named
>"giraffe bread".

That makes more sense than tiger bread, actually.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 8:41:58 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> They're confused: Dutch crust, French bread. It seems to me that these
> are just marketing terms for Americans. They're not really references
> to a country of origin.

Would you be happier if we called it "French-style bread" ?

Not that we'd ever bother with that extra syllable. Syllables cost money.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 03:23:54 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 8:41:58 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> They're confused: Dutch crust, French bread. It seems to me that these
>> are just marketing terms for Americans. They're not really references
>> to a country of origin.

>Would you be happier if we called it "French-style bread" ?
>
>Not that we'd ever bother with that extra syllable. Syllables cost money.

You can call it anything you want, but to call it Dutch and French
seems rather confused.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, graham > wrote:

> My version: https://postimg.cc/v4jJ37hZ
>
> You paint the loaf prior to baking with a flour-water mix that forms the
> distinctive pattern called "giraffe bread" by some.

That's a beauty. I'm not much of a baker, but I have made adequate
French bread in the past. This loaf costs a buck ninety eight every
day. Yours looks far more interesting.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> I have bought this bread from the supermarket. By that time, it has lost its
> crunch. Mostly it's just Dutch bread. I guess you have to bake it yourself to
> get a Dutch crunch loaf.

Raley's makes it fresh every morning and puts in in a paper sack. Get
there around nine and it's still hot. Get there around noon and there
is another hot batch. It's plenty crunchy for over a day. The key is
the paper sack. Lobby your supermarkets to use paper sacks and to move
the bread quickly. Easy peasy. Your problems are so easy to solve.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-22 2:49 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, graham > wrote:
>
>> My version: https://postimg.cc/v4jJ37hZ
>>
>> You paint the loaf prior to baking with a flour-water mix that forms the
>> distinctive pattern called "giraffe bread" by some.

> That's a beauty. I'm not much of a baker, but I have made adequate
> French bread in the past. This loaf costs a buck ninety eight every
> day. Yours looks far more interesting.
>
> leo

Thanks Leo! And in spite of what that misanthrope Sheldon writes, I did
make it and it's quite easy:

https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/tig...ad-by-allinson

PA Dutch Ham Loaf Kathy Zenger Recipes (moderated) 0 17-10-2006 02:06 AM
Dutch Pancakes lottery75115 Recipes (moderated) 0 09-01-2006 08:50 PM
Dutch cooking ~patches~ General Cooking 33 02-10-2005 05:13 AM
Dutch Hikarimono Musashi Sushi 10 08-06-2005 04:17 PM
Crazy Crust Pizza Crust Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2003 07:22 PM