Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default MSN: "4 Things You Should NEVER Cook in Cast Iron"

No idea whether this is good advice or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...id=mailsignout
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2018 11:29 AM, wrote:
> No idea whether this is good advice or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...id=mailsignout

Pretty valid. I once made something with tomato sauce and it cooked in
the CI pan for a while. It has a little metallic taste to it. Other
times I added some sauce and the end and it made no difference.

As for the eggs, you do need some lubricant or they stick. I've not
tried using one for eggs in many years. Teflon pans are very good for
that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/30/2018 12:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/30/2018 11:29 AM, wrote:
>> No idea whether this is good advice or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...id=mailsignout

> Pretty valid.Â* I once made something with tomato sauce and it cooked in
> the CI pan for a while.Â* It has a little metallic taste to it.Â* Other
> times I added some sauce and the end and it made no difference.
>
> As for the eggs, you do need some lubricant or they stick.Â* I've not
> tried using one for eggs in many years.Â* Teflon pans are very good for
> that.

I have a couple of ancient cast iron pans, which are only used for eggs
and crepes. They work really well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri.../4-things-you-
> >> should-never-cook-in-cast-iron/ar-BBQhaSA?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsign
> >> out
> >>

> > Pretty valid. I once made something with tomato sauce and it
> > cooked in the CI pan for a while. It has a little metallic taste
> > to it. Other times I added some sauce and the end and it made no
> > difference.
> >
> > As for the eggs, you do need some lubricant or they stick. I've
> > not tried using one for eggs in many years. Teflon pans are very
> > good for that.

> I had a friend back in Ohio, a reasonably good cook, who askaed to
> borrow my 10" cast iron skillet. This skillet had been handed down
> from my great great gramdmother. My friend did not own any cast iron
> nor had ever cooked with it.
>
> My friend baked a pan of cornbread in the skillet and burned it
> terribly, to the point that she resorted to scraping it with a heavy
> duty putty knife. When that didin't work she soaked it with a
> copious amount of Dawn dishwashing detergent and water overnight.
> There was still residue in the pan and she then put it through a
> cycle in her dishwasher.
>
> Needless to say the pan was totally covered in rust that I could't
> remove in any normal way. I took it to a metal worker who sandblsted
> it right down to the bare iron. Then I began seasoning the skillet,
> but it took the better part of a year to build up enough coating to
> render in virtuaolly non-stick.
>
> I've since learned that many people are very careless in the kitchen
> and I will not loan cookware or kitchen apliances to anyone ever
> again.

The last time my husband made blackened fish in my cast iron pan, he
took very literally the recipe's statement that it was not possible
to get the pan too hot.

He put it on the burner of the turkey fryer and blasted the seasoning
right off it.

He now has his own cast iron pan, and I'm patiently re-seasoning my pan.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "4 Things You Should NEVER Cook in Cast Iron"

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 12:36:31 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 30 Nov 2018 10:24:57a, Ed Pawlowski told us...
>
> > On 11/30/2018 11:29 AM, wrote:
> >> No idea whether this is good advice or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri.../4-things-you-
> >> should-never-cook-in-cast-iron/ar-BBQhaSA?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsign
> >> out
> >>

> > Pretty valid. I once made something with tomato sauce and it
> > cooked in the CI pan for a while. It has a little metallic taste
> > to it. Other times I added some sauce and the end and it made no
> > difference.
> >
> > As for the eggs, you do need some lubricant or they stick. I've
> > not tried using one for eggs in many years. Teflon pans are very
> > good for that.

> I had a friend back in Ohio, a reasonably good cook, who askaed to
> borrow my 10" cast iron skillet. This skillet had been handed down
> from my great great gramdmother. My friend did not own any cast iron
> nor had ever cooked with it.
>
> My friend baked a pan of cornbread in the skillet and burned it
> terribly, to the point that she resorted to scraping it with a heavy
> duty putty knife. When that didin't work she soaked it with a
> copious amount of Dawn dishwashing detergent and water overnight.
> There was still residue in the pan and she then put it through a
> cycle in her dishwasher.
>
> Needless to say the pan was totally covered in rust that I could't
> remove in any normal way. I took it to a metal worker who sandblsted
> it right down to the bare iron. Then I began seasoning the skillet,
> but it took the better part of a year to build up enough coating to
> render in virtuaolly non-stick.
>
> I've since learned that many people are very careless in the kitchen
> and I will not loan cookware or kitchen apliances to anyone ever
> again.

The last time my husband made blackened fish in my cast iron pan, he
took very literally the recipe's statement that it was not possible
to get the pan too hot.

He put it on the burner of the turkey fryer and blasted the seasoning
right off it.

He now has his own cast iron pan, and I'm patiently re-seasoning my pan.

Cindy Hamilton

==
lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2018 12:36 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I had a friend back in Ohio, a reasonably good cook, who askaed to
> borrow my 10" cast iron skillet. This skillet had been handed down
> from my great great gramdmother. My friend did not own any cast iron
> nor had ever cooked with it.
>
> My friend baked a pan of cornbread in the skillet and burned it
> terribly, to the point that she resorted to scraping it with a heavy
> duty putty knife. When that didin't work she soaked it with a
> copious amount of Dawn dishwashing detergent and water overnight.
> There was still residue in the pan and she then put it through a
> cycle in her dishwasher.
>
> Needless to say the pan was totally covered in rust that I could't
> remove in any normal way. I took it to a metal worker who sandblsted
> it right down to the bare iron. Then I began seasoning the skillet,
> but it took the better part of a year to build up enough coating to
> render in virtuaolly non-stick.
>
> I've since learned that many people are very careless in the kitchen
> and I will not loan cookware or kitchen apliances to anyone ever
> again.

What did the pan ever do to her!?? She tried every way to kill it.
I can only imagine the look on your face when you saw the condition
when she handed it back.

I really don't like borrowing things because it's a responsibility to
get it back in the same condition and sometimes things happen.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Then I began seasoning the skillet,
> but it took the better part of a year to build up enough coating to
> render in virtuaolly non-stick.

Yep!

I gotta CI skillet, 12" Wagner, but needs to be de-rusted, so have not
used it.

In answer to yer statement, above, I have a French steel skillet.
Despite what the maker recommends or what America's Test Kitchen sez, it
DOES take about a yr to make a CI or steel skillet, non-stick. That
"couple o' weeks" or "couple cycles" nonsense is jes that.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2018 9:42 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 12/2/2018 10:36 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Then I began seasoning the skillet,
>> but it took the better part of a year to build up enough coating to
>> render in virtuaolly non-stick.

> Yep!
>
> I gotta CI skillet, 12" Wagner, but needs to be de-rusted, so have not
> used it.
>
> In answer to yer statement, above, I have a French steel skillet.
> Despite what the maker recommends or what America's Test Kitchen sez, it
> DOES take about a yr to make a CI or steel skillet, non-stick.Â* That
> "couple o' weeks" or "couple cycles" nonsense is jes that.Â*
>
> nb

I like Wagner over Lodge.
Agree on the year. Sure, after a few uses it is better, but it is not
overnight success. I like to fry up some bacon the first few times out.
Plenty of grease that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2018 10:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Agree on the year.Â* Sure, after a few uses it is better, but it is not
> overnight success.Â* I like to fry up some bacon the first few times out.
> Â*Plenty of grease that way.

I like the "potato" approach, but it still take almost a yr. I'm
jonesing on hash browns, of late, and my steel skillet is plenty
"seasoned, but that's waaaaay after I've used it for almost a yr.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, notbob
> wrote:

> I gotta CI skillet, 12" Wagner, but needs to be de-rusted, so have not
> used it.

Fine emery paper does a great job of making the inside of a CI skillet
like new again and in a hurry. It removes rust like a champ. I don't
give a rat's *ss about the outside. Then, it's a matter of seasoning.
Start with a Brillo pad which may negate the need for emery paper.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2018 10:47 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> Fine emery paper does a great job of making the inside of a CI skillet
> like new again and in a hurry. It removes rust like a champ. I don't
> give a rat's *ss about the outside. Then, it's a matter of seasoning.
> Start with a Brillo pad which may negate the need for emery paper.

I've bought a cupped wire wheel attachment, but may try a "quick-strip",
as seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4pBTI2vnd8

.....or buy a Lodge.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 1:06:18 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 12:36:31 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri.../4-things-you-

> > > Pretty valid. I once made something with tomato sauce and it
> > > cooked in the CI pan for a while. It has a little metallic taste
> > > to it. Other times I added some sauce and the end and it made no
> > > difference.
> > >
> > > As for the eggs, you do need some lubricant or they stick. I've
> > > not tried using one for eggs in many years. Teflon pans are very
> > > good for that.

> > I had a friend back in Ohio, a reasonably good cook, who askaed to
> > borrow my 10" cast iron skillet. This skillet had been handed down
> > from my great great gramdmother. My friend did not own any cast iron
> > nor had ever cooked with it.
> >
> > My friend baked a pan of cornbread in the skillet and burned it
> > terribly, to the point that she resorted to scraping it with a heavy
> > duty putty knife. When that didin't work she soaked it with a
> > copious amount of Dawn dishwashing detergent and water overnight.
> > There was still residue in the pan and she then put it through a
> > cycle in her dishwasher.
> >
> > Needless to say the pan was totally covered in rust that I could't
> > remove in any normal way. I took it to a metal worker who sandblsted
> > it right down to the bare iron. Then I began seasoning the skillet,
> > but it took the better part of a year to build up enough coating to
> > render in virtuaolly non-stick.
> >
> > I've since learned that many people are very careless in the kitchen
> > and I will not loan cookware or kitchen apliances to anyone ever
> > again.
> >

> The last time my husband made blackened fish in my cast iron pan, he
> took very literally the recipe's statement that it was not possible
> to get the pan too hot.
>
> He put it on the burner of the turkey fryer and blasted the seasoning
> right off it.
>
> He now has his own cast iron pan, and I'm patiently re-seasoning my pan.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I think that if you make blackened fish correctly, you will blast the seasoning right off of it. Your husband did nothing wrong and there's really nothing you can do about that aspect of it. I've done this before but I've never had any problem with re-seasoning the pan. If it takes a year to season a CI pan, you're probably cooking at too low a temperature.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2018 11:47 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, notbob
> > wrote:
>
>> I gotta CI skillet, 12" Wagner, but needs to be de-rusted, so have not
>> used it.

> Fine emery paper does a great job of making the inside of a CI skillet
> like new again and in a hurry. It removes rust like a champ. I don't
> give a rat's *ss about the outside. Then, it's a matter of seasoning.
> Start with a Brillo pad which may negate the need for emery paper.
>
> leo

Â* Toss the pan in the fire , burn all the "stuff" in it to ash .
Rinse/scrub well and IMMEDIATELY put it on the burner to dry thoroughly
, then wipe in a light coat of oil (I use olive oil) and let it sit on
the burner turned way low . I leave it on for a couple of hours , wiping
on oil frequently . This will give an acceptable starting point of
seasoning for further seasoning as you use it - the wiping will also
help remove the rustÂ* . The idea is to get the oil to fill the pores in
the iron and polymerize , that's where the non-stick comes from . FWIW
my wife won't use my cast stuff , she is not sure how to use it after
many years of non-stick cookware . I use it almost daily ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old