Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sharing with Amazon

On 2018-11-28 9:21 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> Falls under here.
>>>
>>> Adequate shelter means provision of and access to shelter that is
>>> suitable for the species, age, condition, size, and type of each
>>> animal; provides adequate space for each animal; is safe and
>>> protects each animal from injury, rain, sleet, snow, hail, direct
>>> sunlight, the adverse effects of heat or cold, physical suffering,
>>> and impairment of health; is properly lighted; is properly cleaned;
>>> enables each animal to be clean and dry, except when detrimental to
>>> the species; and, for dogs and cats, provides a solid surface,
>>> resting platform, pad, floormat, or similar device that is large
>>> enough for the animal to lie on in a normal manner and can be
>>> maintained in a sanitary manner. Under this chapter, shelters whose
>>> wire, grid, or slat floors: (i) permit the animals' feet to pass
>>> through the openings; (ii) sag under the animals' weight; or (iii)
>>> otherwise do not protect the animals' feet or toes from injury are
>>> not adequate shelter.

>> That makes sense for caring for an outside pet but do you have a
>> link from where you quoted that? I searched quite a bit for our
>> area and even our state. Did not see anything about requiring
>> doghouses but I limited my searches to Virginia and Virginia
>> Beach.

> Probably your main problem was you were looking for 'dog houses' or
> 'doghouses'. It's under shelter and you can be cited for it (though
> it's rare unless there are other issues like dog left outside all the
> time).

If you can't beat them with brains baffle them with bullshit. That is
the definition for "Adequate Shelter", and deals with agricultural
animals.... livestock and poultry. The definition of "Animal" applies
to 3.2-6570, which is about cruelty to to animals. It does not say that
you have to have a dog house if your dog is an inside pet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.jonsered.com/us/products/chainsaws/
>>> https://www.jonsered.com/us/support/about-us/

>> Well ain't you special !

> We don't have a chainsaw bigger than a sort you chop small bushes down
> with. No need.

Very few people would have a *Popeye approved* chainsaw ... or anything
else, for that matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 20:25:17 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:

>> > I've never met anyone who heats with wood who doesn't own at least
>> > one chain saw.

>> Our neighbours when we first moved here heated with wood. He had a
>> job at General Motors and worked steady midnights. His wife was a
>> loans officer at a bank. I don't know how many chainsaws he went
>> through in the time he lived next door, but he went through at least
>> two tractors and a four pick up trucks. We worked all night and spent
>> his days in a wood lot cutting firewood, splitting it and hauling it
>> home.
>>
>> With all the talk about climate change and carbon emissions, I am
>> surprised that governments have not banned wood burning heat.

>Why would they ban wood heating? Remember climate change has many
>issues but a small contained fire isnt one of them. A car does more
>damage in a week than a fireplace does in a year.

Wood burning stoves and fireplaces are regularly banned from burning
during some days in the winter around here. Too much wood smoke
causes air pollution (which is strictly monitored here) and becomes a
health hazard for the very young, the elderly and those with health
issues.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 11/28/2018 9:25 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> With all the talk about climate change and carbon emissions, I am
>>> surprised that governments have not banned wood burning heat.

>> Why would they ban wood heating? Remember climate change has many
>> issues but a small contained fire isnt one of them. A car does more
>> damage in a week than a fireplace does in a year.
>>

> Not since the 1950s. Car are rather clean today. Some woodstoves to have
> catalytic converters, most don't. Outdoor wood boilers have been banned
> is some towns in CT because of the pollution.
>
> http://woodsmoke.3sc.net/woodheater-car-comparison
>
> The NSW EPA estimates that a new wood heater emits 9.8 kg of
> health-hazardous PM2.5 for every tonne of firewood burned and about 20
> grams of PM2.5 in the first hour after the stove is lit. Petrol cars emit
> 1 mg PM2.5 per km, or 1 gram per 1,000 km. Thus a brand new heater will
> emit more PM2.5 in the first hour after lighting than a petrol car in an
> entire year of driving.
>
> https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-alternatives/
> The Childrens Health Environmental Coalition (CHEC) concurs, citing a
> raft of studies that show how children living in wood-burning households
> experience higher rates of lung inflammation, breathing difficulties,
> pneumonia, and other respiratory diseases. For its part, the U.S.
> Environmental Protection Agency warns that those with congestive heart
> failure, angina, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema or
> asthma should avoid wood smoke if possible. Wood smoke is also bad for the
> outdoors environment, contributing to smog, acid rain and other problems.
>
> https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health

There's a reason why they have so many no burning fireplace days in Ca. My
oldest daughter was very sensitive to the fireplace burning wood, so we
changed it to gas.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 7:04:23 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>
> > On 11/26/2018 8:59 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > > Working out how to share a photo. Nothing fancy here, just my
> > > backyard and some of the wood pile
> > >

> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...EcXJfBAiPMs5HM
> >
> > I'm guessing y'all heat with wood ... how many cords per year do
> > you burn ?

> We augment the HVAC with a fireplace and that picture shows about 2
> cords (maybe 2.5) of wood. We burn from 1/2-1 cord a year (depends on
> the cold that year). Last year due to Don's hernia issues, we used
> less but the temps here are quite variable so that happens.
>
> Once the highs hit mid-40's we start the fireplace off. Give it 2 more
> weeks or so here? Then we kick it off in the morning by 9am and bank
> it by 9pm. The HVAC under those conditions kicks in randomly at 35F
> outside but only regular at 20F. Runs about 150$ a month savings at
> least, *after* paying for the wood.
>
> In my area we have 'heat pumps' so they lack efficiency of the true
> cold weather systems. Noted is you need a home layout that takes proper
> use of a fireplace. Open to heat much of the house.
> Carol

The first time I saw a wood burning stove in use was at my brother-in-law's
place in Washington State. It was interesting to see a stove that wasn't
used to cook food. That was a new concept. I even got a chance to wear long
johns and chop wood. Whoa Nellie! As an added bonus, I love fire and would
watch the fire through the glass for extended periods. My in-laws must have
thought I was retarded. Perhaps I am. Ynuck, ynuck.

==

I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0

Our bread was baked in that oven When my parents were working, I used to
come home from school to light that fire

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 6:41:15 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 20:25:17 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Dave Smith wrote:

> >> Our neighbours when we first moved here heated with wood. He had a
> >> job at General Motors and worked steady midnights. His wife was a
> >> loans officer at a bank. I don't know how many chainsaws he went
> >> through in the time he lived next door, but he went through at least
> >> two tractors and a four pick up trucks. We worked all night and spent
> >> his days in a wood lot cutting firewood, splitting it and hauling it
> >> home.
> >>
> >> With all the talk about climate change and carbon emissions, I am
> >> surprised that governments have not banned wood burning heat.

> >Why would they ban wood heating? Remember climate change has many
> >issues but a small contained fire isnt one of them. A car does more
> >damage in a week than a fireplace does in a year.

> Wood burning stoves and fireplaces are regularly banned from burning
> during some days in the winter around here. Too much wood smoke
> causes air pollution (which is strictly monitored here) and becomes a
> health hazard for the very young, the elderly and those with health
> issues.
> Janet US

When we were living in Washington State back around 1987, wood fires were used a lot at times. The smoke and smell would make my wife somewhat nauseous. She was a young healthy gal with no respiratory problems so I suppose that air was a health hazard for many folks. My guess is that wood fires are banned in Lynnwood these days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 9:10:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 7:04:23 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > Terry Coombs wrote:

> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...EcXJfBAiPMs5HM
> > >
> > > I'm guessing y'all heat with wood ... how many cords per year do
> > > you burn ?

> > We augment the HVAC with a fireplace and that picture shows about 2
> > cords (maybe 2.5) of wood. We burn from 1/2-1 cord a year (depends on
> > the cold that year). Last year due to Don's hernia issues, we used
> > less but the temps here are quite variable so that happens.
> >
> > Once the highs hit mid-40's we start the fireplace off. Give it 2 more
> > weeks or so here? Then we kick it off in the morning by 9am and bank
> > it by 9pm. The HVAC under those conditions kicks in randomly at 35F
> > outside but only regular at 20F. Runs about 150$ a month savings at
> > least, *after* paying for the wood.
> >
> > In my area we have 'heat pumps' so they lack efficiency of the true
> > cold weather systems. Noted is you need a home layout that takes proper
> > use of a fireplace. Open to heat much of the house.
> > Carol

> The first time I saw a wood burning stove in use was at my brother-in-law's
> place in Washington State. It was interesting to see a stove that wasn't
> used to cook food. That was a new concept. I even got a chance to wear long
> johns and chop wood. Whoa Nellie! As an added bonus, I love fire and would
> watch the fire through the glass for extended periods. My in-laws must have
> thought I was retarded. Perhaps I am. Ynuck, ynuck.
>
> ==
>
> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>
> Our bread was baked in that oven When my parents were working, I used to
> come home from school to light that fire

That's some amazing old timey technology. It was a fascinating video. Thanks! I can't say how something like that would work on this rock. It might work in some places in Hawaii but as a general rule, we have no provisions for heating homes.

My parent's home had an all gas kitchen. In the 60's this was touted as the latest in modern kitchen technology. You save a lot of money by using a gas stove in Hawaii but what I remember most about the kitchen while growing up was that it was a hot, uncomfortable, place.

I was at my dad's place during Thanksgiving and had to use their gas range. This was a modern gas range with beefy burners but it just infuriated me. I turned on the flame and then waited and waited for the pan to get hot. It seemed like a really long time. What I'd like is a burner that can heat up a pan in 3 seconds or less. Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 9:10:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 7:04:23 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > Terry Coombs wrote:

> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...EcXJfBAiPMs5HM
> > >
> > > I'm guessing y'all heat with wood ... how many cords per year do
> > > you burn ?

> > We augment the HVAC with a fireplace and that picture shows about 2
> > cords (maybe 2.5) of wood. We burn from 1/2-1 cord a year (depends on
> > the cold that year). Last year due to Don's hernia issues, we used
> > less but the temps here are quite variable so that happens.
> >
> > Once the highs hit mid-40's we start the fireplace off. Give it 2 more
> > weeks or so here? Then we kick it off in the morning by 9am and bank
> > it by 9pm. The HVAC under those conditions kicks in randomly at 35F
> > outside but only regular at 20F. Runs about 150$ a month savings at
> > least, *after* paying for the wood.
> >
> > In my area we have 'heat pumps' so they lack efficiency of the true
> > cold weather systems. Noted is you need a home layout that takes proper
> > use of a fireplace. Open to heat much of the house.
> > Carol

> The first time I saw a wood burning stove in use was at my
> brother-in-law's
> place in Washington State. It was interesting to see a stove that wasn't
> used to cook food. That was a new concept. I even got a chance to wear
> long
> johns and chop wood. Whoa Nellie! As an added bonus, I love fire and would
> watch the fire through the glass for extended periods. My in-laws must
> have
> thought I was retarded. Perhaps I am. Ynuck, ynuck.
>
> ==
>
> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>
> Our bread was baked in that oven When my parents were working, I used
> come home from school to light that fire

That's some amazing old timey technology. It was a fascinating video.
Thanks! I can't say how something like that would work on this rock. It
might work in some places in Hawaii but as a general rule, we have no
provisions for heating homes.

My parent's home had an all gas kitchen. In the 60's this was touted as the
latest in modern kitchen technology. You save a lot of money by using a gas
stove in Hawaii but what I remember most about the kitchen while growing up
was that it was a hot, uncomfortable, place.

I was at my dad's place during Thanksgiving and had to use their gas range.
This was a modern gas range with beefy burners but it just infuriated me. I
turned on the flame and then waited and waited for the pan to get hot. It
seemed like a really long time. What I'd like is a burner that can heat up a
pan in 3 seconds or less. Hee hee.

==

I suppose I could try and dig out my magic wand for you?? You might have to
magic the sun away for a while though

;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 11:55:32 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I suppose I could try and dig out my magic wand for you?? You might have to
> magic the sun away for a while though
>
> ;p

Make the sun go away? That's black magic! OTOH, you don't need magic to heat up a pan in seconds - an induction coil would work just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ya8fxm89jk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 11:55:32 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I suppose I could try and dig out my magic wand for you?? You might have
> magic the sun away for a while though
>
> ;p

Make the sun go away? That's black magic! OTOH, you don't need magic to heat
up a pan in seconds - an induction coil would work just fine.

Well I did say 'for a while'. I was just thinking you might like
things a little cooler by the way you were talking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ya8fxm89jk

Did you really mean to post a vid of 'A Cool Tool for Removing Rusted
bolts and fasteners'???

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>

> Our bread was* baked in that oven* When my parents were working, I
> used to come home from school to light that fire

I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
that's what he installed in the kitchen.
My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
scullery to a modern galley kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 00:50:48 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 6:41:15 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

///// I didn't write that./////

>> >Why would they ban wood heating? Remember climate change has many
>> >issues but a small contained fire isnt one of them. A car does more
>> >damage in a week than a fireplace does in a year.

>> Wood burning stoves and fireplaces are regularly banned from burning
>> during some days in the winter around here. Too much wood smoke
>> causes air pollution (which is strictly monitored here) and becomes a
>> health hazard for the very young, the elderly and those with health
>> issues.
>> Janet US

>When we were living in Washington State back around 1987, wood fires were used a lot at times. The smoke and smell would make my wife somewhat nauseous. She was a young healthy gal with no respiratory problems so I suppose that air was a health hazard for many folks. My guess is that wood fires are banned in Lynnwood these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>///// I didn't write that./////

>>> Wood burning stoves and fireplaces are regularly banned from burning
>>> during some days in the winter around here. Too much wood smoke
>>> causes air pollution (which is strictly monitored here) and becomes a
>>> health hazard for the very young, the elderly and those with health
>>> issues.
>>> Janet US

>>When we were living in Washington State back around 1987, wood fires were used a lot at times. The smoke and smell would make my wife somewhat nauseous. She was a young healthy gal with no respiratory problems so I suppose that air was a health hazard for many folks. My guess is that wood fires are banned in Lynnwood these days.

collecting firewood used to be a big thing here in the summer. Pack
your tent, Coleman stove and cooler, chainsaw and some food. Hitch
the trailer to the 4x4 and head up into the mountains for the weekend.
Everyone had a good spot for dead trees and that's where you went.
Sawed it all into logs about fireplace length and then packed up and
went home after a wonderful weekend out in nature. The husband would
then spend and hour or two in the evening or weekends splitting wood.
Everyone chipped in to stack the wood pile.
That doesn't happen much anymore. People buy their wood already split
by the cord. And even they don't get to use it much. You want to
have a fire in the fireplace on Christmas but there is generally a
burning ban then. Gas fireplaces are the way to go now.
Frankly, I don't miss the mess of cleaning out the ash chute or
vacuuming up the crumbles that fall off the logs.
Fireplaces/stoves are just a homage to our cave ancestors that needed
that fire. Fireplaces in the home just suck cold air in from
someplace else in the house to nurture what the fire sends up the
chimney.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-29 6:42 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>>

>> Our bread was* baked in that oven* When my parents were working, I
>> used to come home from school to light that fire
>>

> I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
> When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
> that's what he installed in the kitchen.
> My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
> my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
> scullery to a modern galley kitchen.

My Grandmother cooked on a somewhat simpler version. She always steamed
the vegetables and I suppose it prevented them "catching". My Gt Aunt
had one with a big brass tap on the hot water reservoir.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>
> Our bread was baked in that oven When my parents were working, I used
> to come home from school to light that fire

I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
that's what he installed in the kitchen.
My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
scullery to a modern galley kitchen.

===

Cor, posh)) Sounds like it brought back a memory or two

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Probably your main problem was you were looking for 'dog houses' or
> > 'doghouses'. It's under shelter and you can be cited for it (though
> > it's rare unless there are other issues like dog left outside all the
> > time).
> >

> If you can't beat them with brains baffle them with bullshit. That is
> the definition for "Adequate Shelter", and deals with agricultural
> animals.... livestock and poultry. The definition of "Animal" applies
> to 3.2-6570, which is about cruelty to to animals. It does not say that
> you have to have a dog house if your dog is an inside pet.

If the "dog house police" ever show up and ask where is the dog
house, just point to your own house and say, that's the dog
house. Lives and sleeps inside there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2018 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister"* wrote in message ...
> On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>>
>> Our bread was* baked in that oven* When my parents were working, I
>> used to come home from school to light that fire
>>

> I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
> When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
> that's what he installed in the kitchen.
> My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
> my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
> scullery to a modern galley kitchen.
>
> ===
>
> Cor, posh))* Sounds like it brought back a memory or two

Very posh - a dishwasher, a washer-dryer, a fridge, and a freezer, too.
Great-granny would be amazed if she could see her old home - there's
indoor plumbing now, too...the first time I visited, there were chamber
pots under each bed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 11/29/2018 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
> On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>> Our bread was baked in that oven When my parents were working, I used
>> to come home from school to light that fire
>>

> I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
> When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
> that's what he installed in the kitchen.
> My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
> my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
> scullery to a modern galley kitchen.
>
> ===
>
> Cor, posh)) Sounds like it brought back a memory or two

Very posh - a dishwasher, a washer-dryer, a fridge, and a freezer, too.
Great-granny would be amazed if she could see her old home - there's
indoor plumbing now, too...the first time I visited, there were chamber
pots under each bed.

==

LOL ask me how I remember that)) Yes, I too would be absolutely amazed to
see all that in those days))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>///// I didn't write that./////

>>>When we were living in Washington State back around 1987, wood fires were used a lot at times. The smoke and smell would make my wife somewhat nauseous. She was a young healthy gal with no respiratory problems so I suppose that air was a health hazard for many folks. My guess is that wood fires are banned in Lynnwood these days.

>collecting firewood used to be a big thing here in the summer. Pack
>your tent, Coleman stove and cooler, chainsaw and some food. Hitch
>the trailer to the 4x4 and head up into the mountains for the weekend.
>Everyone had a good spot for dead trees and that's where you went.
>Sawed it all into logs about fireplace length and then packed up and
>went home after a wonderful weekend out in nature. The husband would
>then spend and hour or two in the evening or weekends splitting wood.
>Everyone chipped in to stack the wood pile.
>That doesn't happen much anymore. People buy their wood already split
>by the cord. And even they don't get to use it much. You want to
>have a fire in the fireplace on Christmas but there is generally a
>burning ban then. Gas fireplaces are the way to go now.
>Frankly, I don't miss the mess of cleaning out the ash chute or
>vacuuming up the crumbles that fall off the logs.
>Fireplaces/stoves are just a homage to our cave ancestors that needed
>that fire. Fireplaces in the home just suck cold air in from
>someplace else in the house to nurture what the fire sends up the
>chimney.
>Janet US

With fireplaces and wood stoves most of the BTUs contained in wood
goes right up the chimney.... they even suck the heated air from the
rest of the house, only the area near the fireplase and woodstove get
warm, usually too warm, and dry.

With ventless gas heaters no heat goes up a chimney and no chimney
cleaning... there is no chimney... they are 99% efficient and need no
electricity. Some are utilitarian in appearance, some have an
elaborate appearance. With my ventless gas heater I save substantial
$$$ and requires no labor whatsoever:
https://postimg.cc/62mvp4Ln
Check them out:
http://worldmkting.com/gas-appliances/ga-all/

In the past I've heated with oil, kerosene, coal, and wood... all
stink, literally too. Now I heat with propane... if I ever heat with
wood again put me in the loony bin, only low IQ nutcases heat with
wood. I can understand that some like a wood fire to look at the fire
but not for home heating. Some of my neighbors have an outside
firepit that they like to sit around on a chilly evening for eating
dinner, but it's more an outside campfire... however they cook dinner
on the Weber.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> ///// I didn't write that./////

>> collecting firewood used to be a big thing here in the summer. Pack
>> your tent, Coleman stove and cooler, chainsaw and some food. Hitch
>> the trailer to the 4x4 and head up into the mountains for the weekend.
>> Everyone had a good spot for dead trees and that's where you went.
>> Sawed it all into logs about fireplace length and then packed up and
>> went home after a wonderful weekend out in nature. The husband would
>> then spend and hour or two in the evening or weekends splitting wood.
>> Everyone chipped in to stack the wood pile.
>> That doesn't happen much anymore. People buy their wood already split
>> by the cord. And even they don't get to use it much. You want to
>> have a fire in the fireplace on Christmas but there is generally a
>> burning ban then. Gas fireplaces are the way to go now.
>> Frankly, I don't miss the mess of cleaning out the ash chute or
>> vacuuming up the crumbles that fall off the logs.
>> Fireplaces/stoves are just a homage to our cave ancestors that needed
>> that fire. Fireplaces in the home just suck cold air in from
>> someplace else in the house to nurture what the fire sends up the
>> chimney.
>> Janet US

> With fireplaces and wood stoves most of the BTUs contained in wood
> goes right up the chimney.... they even suck the heated air from the
> rest of the house, only the area near the fireplase and woodstove get
> warm, usually too warm, and dry.
>
> With ventless gas heaters no heat goes up a chimney and no chimney
> cleaning... there is no chimney... they are 99% efficient and need no
> electricity. Some are utilitarian in appearance, some have an
> elaborate appearance. With my ventless gas heater I save substantial
> $$$ and requires no labor whatsoever:

https://postimg.cc/62mvp4Ln
> Check them out:
> http://worldmkting.com/gas-appliances/ga-all/
>
> In the past I've heated with oil, kerosene, coal, and wood... all
> stink, literally too. Now I heat with propane... if I ever heat with
> wood again put me in the loony bin, only low IQ nutcases heat with
> wood. I can understand that some like a wood fire to look at the fire
> but not for home heating. Some of my neighbors have an outside
> firepit that they like to sit around on a chilly evening for eating
> dinner, but it's more an outside campfire... however they cook dinner
> on the Weber.

* Doesn't the bullshit splatter on you while beating that "wood heat
sucks" drum ? I have a ventless LPG heater almost identical to the
picture you posted . It has all the drawbacks you claim for wood heat -
uneven heating and the only place it's warm is right in front of it .
Our wood stove resides in a corner of the living room with a fan mounted
in a hole in the bedroom/living room wall to circulate the heat . As I
said , I designed this house with wood heat in mind ... and the only
low-IQ nutcase I see here is you . You should just give up and admit
that you're WRONG about this , just as you are with so many things .
Unless you LIKE being made out to be a fool

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 15:57:06 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
>On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>>
>> Our bread was baked in that oven When my parents were working, I used
>> to come home from school to light that fire
>>

>I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
>When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
>that's what he installed in the kitchen.
>My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
>my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
>scullery to a modern galley kitchen.
>
>===
>
>Cor, posh)) Sounds like it brought back a memory or two

When I was very young my mom cooked on a coal stove... the house was
heated with a coal boiler in the basement that produced steam for the
cast iron radiators in each room. Burning coal was very dirty. We
had a shaker grate used to salvage the bits of unburned coal from the
ashes... I hated that job. Back then a ton of pea coal cost $3.
Eventually everyone converted to oil heat; 12/gallon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 16:46:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
>On 11/29/2018 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>> On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>>> Our bread was baked in that oven When my parents were working, I used
>>> to come home from school to light that fire
>>>

>> I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
>> When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
>> that's what he installed in the kitchen.
>> My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
>> my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
>> scullery to a modern galley kitchen.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Cor, posh)) Sounds like it brought back a memory or two
>>

>Very posh - a dishwasher, a washer-dryer, a fridge, and a freezer, too.
>Great-granny would be amazed if she could see her old home - there's
>indoor plumbing now, too...the first time I visited, there were chamber
>pots under each bed.
>
>==
>
>LOL ask me how I remember that)) Yes, I too would be absolutely amazed to
>see all that in those days))

We had an ice-a-box too. We had no dishwasher, my mom never had a
dishwasher... that's why she had kids. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 08:42:01 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>>

>> Our bread was* baked in that oven* When my parents were working, I
>> used to come home from school to light that fire
>>

>I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
>When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
>that's what he installed in the kitchen.
>My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
>my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
>scullery to a modern galley kitchen.

My grandmother had a Rayburn, modelled after the AGA and when we lived
on a poultry farm on the Devonshire moors, we had an AGA. How I loved
it, it even had those old wooden hangers up to the ceiling to dry/air
washing, in such a climate, pre-dryers, wonderful
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
>On 11/29/2018 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>> On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
>>> Our bread was baked in that oven When my parents were working, I
>>> used
>>> to come home from school to light that fire
>>>

>> I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
>> When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
>> that's what he installed in the kitchen.
>> My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
>> my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
>> scullery to a modern galley kitchen.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Cor, posh)) Sounds like it brought back a memory or two
>>

>Very posh - a dishwasher, a washer-dryer, a fridge, and a freezer, too.
>Great-granny would be amazed if she could see her old home - there's
>indoor plumbing now, too...the first time I visited, there were chamber
>pots under each bed.
>
>==
>
>LOL ask me how I remember that)) Yes, I too would be absolutely amazed
>see all that in those days))

We had an ice-a-box too. We had no dishwasher, my mom never had a
dishwasher... that's why she had kids. lol

==

Aye, ice box. It all went into the pantry and nothing like that was stored.
It was all used up fast.

Dishwasher?? That was me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Nov 2018, S Viemeister wrote
(in article >):

> On 11/29/2018 2:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > I grew up in an old cottage with a big fireplace like this one:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=i v&
> > src_vid=o26wsMACJM0&v=L0x6sxgRbO0
> >

> > Our bread was baked in that oven When my parents were working, I
> > used to come home from school to light that fire

> I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
> When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
> that's what he installed in the kitchen.
> My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
> my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
> scullery to a modern galley kitchen.

Most of my older relatives had ranges like that, although not quite to the
same design.

What I cannot replicate from modern ovens is how they managed to slow roast
joints of meat without them drying out.

I have tried regular basting of mine, but to no avail. I have now been
reduced to wrap them tightly in foil including some form of fat and this is
much closer to their results, but still not quite there.

Possibly the meat in those far off days was not bred to be so lean, and there
was more fat contained within the joints that were sold by the local butcher?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> collecting firewood used to be a big thing here in the summer. Pack
>>> your tent, Coleman stove and cooler, chainsaw and some food. Hitch
>>> the trailer to the 4x4 and head up into the mountains for the weekend.
>>> Everyone had a good spot for dead trees and that's where you went.
>>> Sawed it all into logs about fireplace length and then packed up and
>>> went home after a wonderful weekend out in nature. The husband would
>>> then spend and hour or two in the evening or weekends splitting wood.
>>> Everyone chipped in to stack the wood pile.
>>> That doesn't happen much anymore. People buy their wood already split
>>> by the cord. And even they don't get to use it much. You want to
>>> have a fire in the fireplace on Christmas but there is generally a
>>> burning ban then. Gas fireplaces are the way to go now.
>>> Frankly, I don't miss the mess of cleaning out the ash chute or
>>> vacuuming up the crumbles that fall off the logs.
>>> Fireplaces/stoves are just a homage to our cave ancestors that needed
>>> that fire. Fireplaces in the home just suck cold air in from
>>> someplace else in the house to nurture what the fire sends up the
>>> chimney.
>>> Janet US

>> With fireplaces and wood stoves most of the BTUs contained in wood
>> goes right up the chimney.... they even suck the heated air from the
>> rest of the house, only the area near the fireplase and woodstove get
>> warm, usually too warm, and dry.
>>
>> With ventless gas heaters no heat goes up a chimney and no chimney
>> cleaning... there is no chimney... they are 99% efficient and need no
>> electricity. Some are utilitarian in appearance, some have an
>> elaborate appearance. With my ventless gas heater I save substantial
>> $$$ and requires no labor whatsoever:

https://postimg.cc/62mvp4Ln
>> Check them out:
>> http://worldmkting.com/gas-appliances/ga-all/
>>
>> In the past I've heated with oil, kerosene, coal, and wood... all
>> stink, literally too. Now I heat with propane... if I ever heat with
>> wood again put me in the loony bin, only low IQ nutcases heat with
>> wood. I can understand that some like a wood fire to look at the fire
>> but not for home heating. Some of my neighbors have an outside
>> firepit that they like to sit around on a chilly evening for eating
>> dinner, but it's more an outside campfire... however they cook dinner
>> on the Weber.
>>

> * Doesn't the bullshit splatter on you while beating that "wood heat
>sucks" drum ? I have a ventless LPG heater almost identical to the
>picture you posted . It has all the drawbacks you claim for wood heat -

There's zero heat up a chimney, no fercocktah mess and laborious wood
and ashes, and no polluted home. You sir are king of the BSers. Why
do I need a chainsaw, I don't, but it's too costly otherwise to have
someone remove the fallen trees so I cut some myself, however I can
sometimes find a neighbor who will do the deed for the firewood. Right
now I'm waiting for the local tree removal service to take down five
gigantic Norway spruce, one fell in the last wind storm, they are too
old so need to go... as soon as the ground freezes solid for him to
bring in his heavy equipment.

>uneven heating and the only place it's warm is right in front of it .

Then you don't know how to locate gas heaters. They are available in
several sizes, place the correct size in each room. Mine is in my
basement, heats the basement evenly and in turn heats the entire house
evenly. I have a small ventless gas heater in the shop attached
behind my detached garage now a garden shed. That 10,000 BTU unit
works great for that small space, but I don't use it much as I don't
do much in winter there anymore. I used to do a lot of tool
sharpening but not so much anymore, basically I really don't feel like
it, but I still sharpen twist drills for some local contractors, never
know when a favor is needed.

>Our wood stove resides in a corner of the living room with a fan mounted
>in a hole in the bedroom/living room wall to circulate the heat . As I
>said , I designed this house with wood heat in mind ... and the only
>low-IQ nutcase I see here is you . You should just give up and admit
>that you're WRONG about this , just as you are with so many things .
>Unless you LIKE being made out to be a fool

You know what, I don't believe a word you say, to date all you've done
is type gibberish, you've showed us ZERO. I probably have more
split firewood in my barn left from the last owner than you have...
those split logs make good skids to keep my tractor implements up off
the ground. I don't burn any wood in the monster water jacketed wood
stove he left behind, it's all disconnected now but is too big and
heavy to bring up from the basement, so no one wants it even for
free... Barny the cat adopted it as his sleeping spot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 17:38:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 16:46:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>>
>>On 11/29/2018 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
>>> When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
>>> that's what he installed in the kitchen.
>>> My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
>>> my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
>>> scullery to a modern galley kitchen.
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Cor, posh)) Sounds like it brought back a memory or two
>>>

>>Very posh - a dishwasher, a washer-dryer, a fridge, and a freezer, too.
>>Great-granny would be amazed if she could see her old home - there's
>>indoor plumbing now, too...the first time I visited, there were chamber
>>pots under each bed.
>>
>>==
>>
>>LOL ask me how I remember that)) Yes, I too would be absolutely amazed
>>see all that in those days))

>We had an ice-a-box too. We had no dishwasher, my mom never had a
>dishwasher... that's why she had kids. lol
>
>==
>
>Aye, ice box. It all went into the pantry and nothing like that was stored.
>It was all used up fast.
>
>Dishwasher?? That was me!

The dishwasher is still me. We have a nice Maytag but it's very
rarely used. I much prefer to wash the few dishes by hand and I wash
everything I use as I cook. I never leave any unwashed things in the
sink... a lot of folks do that but then their sink reminds me of an
unflushed toilet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 16:46:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>>
>>On 11/29/2018 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I remember my Granny cooking on one just like that!
>>> When my Great-grandfather rebuilt the old house for his second wife,
>>> that's what he installed in the kitchen.
>>> My Grandfather later replaced it with a Rayburn, which was removed when
>>> my uncle inherited. He installed electric heaters, and converted the old
>>> scullery to a modern galley kitchen.
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Cor, posh)) Sounds like it brought back a memory or two
>>>

>>Very posh - a dishwasher, a washer-dryer, a fridge, and a freezer, too.
>>Great-granny would be amazed if she could see her old home - there's
>>indoor plumbing now, too...the first time I visited, there were chamber
>>pots under each bed.
>>
>>==
>>
>>LOL ask me how I remember that)) Yes, I too would be absolutely amazed
>>see all that in those days))

>We had an ice-a-box too. We had no dishwasher, my mom never had a
>dishwasher... that's why she had kids. lol
>
>==
>
>Aye, ice box. It all went into the pantry and nothing like that was
>stored.
>It was all used up fast.
>
>Dishwasher?? That was me!

The dishwasher is still me. We have a nice Maytag but it's very
rarely used. I much prefer to wash the few dishes by hand and I wash
everything I use as I cook. I never leave any unwashed things in the
sink... a lot of folks do that but then their sink reminds me of an
unflushed toilet.

==

I never wanted one, but last year I had a bad fall and damaged my back so I
was immobile. Guess who bought a dishwasher LOL

I am using it a lot now though

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-29 11:17 AM, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> cshenk wrote:
>>> Probably your main problem was you were looking for 'dog houses' or
>>> 'doghouses'. It's under shelter and you can be cited for it (though
>>> it's rare unless there are other issues like dog left outside all the
>>> time).
>>>

>> If you can't beat them with brains baffle them with bullshit. That is
>> the definition for "Adequate Shelter", and deals with agricultural
>> animals.... livestock and poultry. The definition of "Animal" applies
>> to 3.2-6570, which is about cruelty to to animals. It does not say that
>> you have to have a dog house if your dog is an inside pet.

> If the "dog house police" ever show up and ask where is the dog
> house, just point to your own house and say, that's the dog
> house. Lives and sleeps inside there.

It might be an issue if a dog is tied up without shade or shelter of any
type, the the code cited by Carol applies to agricultural animals.
Obviously I dog that lives indoors does not have to have its own outdoor
dog house. Never the less, someone who reads that cited code might be
gullible enough to believe it. At least one person thought it was real
pertinent enough to post the link.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2018 1:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> wrote in message ...
>
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 17:38:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> wrote in message ...
>>
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 16:46:57 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> Very posh - a dishwasher, a washer-dryer, a fridge, and a freezer, too.
>>> Great-granny would be amazed if she could see her old home - there's
>>> indoor plumbing now, too...the first time I visited, there were chamber
>>> pots under each bed.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> LOL ask me how I remember that))* Yes, I too would be absolutely
>>> amazed
>>> see all that in those days))

>> We had an ice-a-box too.* We had no dishwasher, my mom never had a
>> dishwasher... that's why she had kids. lol
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Aye, ice box.* It all went into the pantry and nothing like that was
>> stored.
>> It was all used up fast.
>>
>> Dishwasher??* That was me!

> The dishwasher is still me.* We have a nice Maytag but it's very
> rarely used.* I much prefer to wash the few dishes by hand and I wash
> everything I use as I cook. I never leave any unwashed things in the
> sink... a lot of folks do that but then their sink reminds me of an
> unflushed toilet.
>
> ==
>
> I never wanted one, but last year I had a bad fall and damaged my back
> so I was immobile.* Guess who bought a dishwasher LOL
>
> I am using it a lot now though

I know a few people that have them and rarely use it. I don't get it.
For two of us, it runs every other day. Everything comes out sparkling
clean and it only takes 3 to 5 minutes to put it all away.

Everything is sanitized too, a benefit during cold season.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-29 2:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/29/2018 1:29 PM, Ophelia wrote:

so I was immobile.* Guess who bought a dishwasher LOL

>> I am using it a lot now though
>>

> I know a few people that have them and rarely use it.* I don't get it.
> For two of us, it runs every other day.* Everything comes out sparkling
> clean and it only takes 3 to 5 minutes to put it all away.
>
> Everything is sanitized too, a benefit during cold season.

We have one but I very rarely use it. I find it easier to do the dishes
by hand after each meal. I rinse them, wash them and put them in the
rack to dry and it is a lot easier than loading and unloading the machine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> ///// I didn't write that./////

>> collecting firewood used to be a big thing here in the summer. Pack
>> your tent, Coleman stove and cooler, chainsaw and some food. Hitch
>> the trailer to the 4x4 and head up into the mountains for the weekend.
>> Everyone had a good spot for dead trees and that's where you went.
>> Sawed it all into logs about fireplace length and then packed up and
>> went home after a wonderful weekend out in nature. The husband would
>> then spend and hour or two in the evening or weekends splitting wood.
>> Everyone chipped in to stack the wood pile.
>> That doesn't happen much anymore. People buy their wood already split
>> by the cord. And even they don't get to use it much. You want to
>> have a fire in the fireplace on Christmas but there is generally a
>> burning ban then. Gas fireplaces are the way to go now.
>> Frankly, I don't miss the mess of cleaning out the ash chute or
>> vacuuming up the crumbles that fall off the logs.
>> Fireplaces/stoves are just a homage to our cave ancestors that needed
>> that fire. Fireplaces in the home just suck cold air in from
>> someplace else in the house to nurture what the fire sends up the
>> chimney.
>> Janet US

> With fireplaces and wood stoves most of the BTUs contained in wood
> goes right up the chimney.... they even suck the heated air from the
> rest of the house, only the area near the fireplase and woodstove get
> warm, usually too warm, and dry.
>
> With ventless gas heaters no heat goes up a chimney and no chimney
> cleaning... there is no chimney... they are 99% efficient and need no
> electricity. Some are utilitarian in appearance, some have an
> elaborate appearance. With my ventless gas heater I save substantial
> $$$ and requires no labor whatsoever:

https://postimg.cc/62mvp4Ln
> Check them out:
> http://worldmkting.com/gas-appliances/ga-all/
>
> In the past I've heated with oil, kerosene, coal, and wood... all
> stink, literally too. Now I heat with propane... if I ever heat with
> wood again put me in the loony bin, only low IQ nutcases heat with
> wood. I can understand that some like a wood fire to look at the fire
> but not for home heating. Some of my neighbors have an outside
> firepit that they like to sit around on a chilly evening for eating
> dinner, but it's more an outside campfire... however they cook dinner
> on the Weber.

Popeye, is yoose related to Hank Hill? He sells lots of propane.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> [...]

>> firepit that they like to sit around on a chilly evening for eating
>> dinner, but it's more an outside campfire... however they cook dinner
>> on the Weber.
>>

> Doesn't the bullshit splatter on you while beating that "wood heat
> sucks" drum ? I have a ventless LPG heater almost identical to the
> picture you posted . It has all the drawbacks you claim for wood heat -
> uneven heating and the only place it's warm is right in front of it .
> Our wood stove resides in a corner of the living room with a fan mounted
> in a hole in the bedroom/living room wall to circulate the heat . As I
> said , I designed this house with wood heat in mind ... and the only
> low-IQ nutcase I see here is you . You should just give up and admit
> that you're WRONG about this , just as you are with so many things .
> Unless you LIKE being made out to be a fool

Popeye enjoys making a fool of himself. It gets him some attention he
craves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2018 12:50 PM, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:

> Possibly the meat in those far off days was not bred to be so lean, and there
> was more fat contained within the joints that were sold by the local butcher?

That's my belief.