Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner with vegan friends

Jeßus wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:25:36 GMT, Pamela >
> wrote:
>
> > Some veggies take a more practical view and consider the gelatin
> > content is only nominal and eat it. Others treat microscopic specs
> > of meat as a serious contaminant of everything they come in contact
> > with. Oh, did I say my friend has OCD in which contamination fears
> > are commonplace.

> And of course, there are many forms of vegetarianism, along with
> differing reasons for same. Some just don't eat meat - but will eat
> fish, eggs, or dairy.

I find it amusing when people pretend 'Fish is not meat'. It;s a middl
ages European thing that the rest of the world doesn't buy into.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:20:59 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:25:36 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Some veggies take a more practical view and consider the gelatin
>> > content is only nominal and eat it. Others treat microscopic specs
>> > of meat as a serious contaminant of everything they come in contact
>> > with. Oh, did I say my friend has OCD in which contamination fears
>> > are commonplace.

>> And of course, there are many forms of vegetarianism, along with
>> differing reasons for same. Some just don't eat meat - but will eat
>> fish, eggs, or dairy.

>I find it amusing when people pretend 'Fish is not meat'. It;s a middl
>ages European thing that the rest of the world doesn't buy into.

'European thing'. Umm, OK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2018 11:37 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:20:59 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Jeßus wrote:

>>> And of course, there are many forms of vegetarianism, along with
>>> differing reasons for same. Some just don't eat meat - but will eat
>>> fish, eggs, or dairy.

>> I find it amusing when people pretend 'Fish is not meat'. It;s a middl
>> ages European thing that the rest of the world doesn't buy into.

> 'European thing'. Umm, OK.

I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday but
fish was okay. Just guessing!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 17:48:16 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/14/2018 11:37 PM, Je?us wrote:

>>> I find it amusing when people pretend 'Fish is not meat'. It;s a middl
>>> ages European thing that the rest of the world doesn't buy into.

>> 'European thing'. Umm, OK.
>>

>I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday but
>fish was okay. Just guessing!

Yes, you could be right Jill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2018 7:26 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 17:48:16 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> 'European thing'. Umm, OK.
>>>

>> I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday but
>> fish was okay. Just guessing!

> Yes, you could be right Jill.

I don't really know what cshenk (Carol) was thinking when she said it
was middle ages European. <shrug>

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 20:28:46 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/15/2018 7:26 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 17:48:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday but
>>> fish was okay. Just guessing!

>> Yes, you could be right Jill.
>>

>I don't really know what cshenk (Carol) was thinking when she said it
>was middle ages European. <shrug>

She's gone with the fairies most of the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 8:28:53 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 11/15/2018 7:26 PM, Je�us wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 17:48:16 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday but
> >> fish was okay. Just guessing!

> > Yes, you could be right Jill.
> >

> I don't really know what cshenk (Carol) was thinking when she said it
> was middle ages European. <shrug>
>
> Jill

From very early days in Christianity, the faithful were told to refrain
from eating meat on Fridays in commemoration of Christ's sacrifice.

People always look for loopholes in rules. "Meat" was defined to be
the flesh of warm-blooded, land-dwelling animals. Hence, fish on
Fridays.

Weird exceptions have been made. In some parts of Michigan, muskrat
is ok to eat on Fridays during Lent. Other exceptions include the
puffin and that animal that builds dams, which I shall not name here.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Jill McQuown wrote:
> People always look for loopholes in rules. "Meat" was defined to be
> the flesh of warm-blooded, land-dwelling animals. Hence, fish on
> Fridays.
>
> Weird exceptions have been made. In some parts of Michigan, muskrat
> is ok to eat on Fridays during Lent. Other exceptions include the
> puffin and that animal that builds dams, which I shall not name here.

Just tells me that human interpretation of bible(s) and all
*organized* religion is plain weird. All silly nonsense, imo.
Sadly too is that much of the evil done in this world is often
based on religious differences or racial differences.

In the true sense of "each to their own," all should believe what
they want but quit preaching their ways to others. Most all are
guilty of this even some when it comes to food preferences.

Ever wonder why Walt Disney succeeded so well? He created the
mythical world where all people and all animals were friendly and
got along. *THAT* is the ideal world but not the real one. Still
fun to dream though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 03:34:07 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 8:28:53 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> >

>> I don't really know what cshenk (Carol) was thinking when she said it
>> was middle ages European. <shrug>
>>
>> Jill

>From very early days in Christianity, the faithful were told to refrain
>from eating meat on Fridays in commemoration of Christ's sacrifice.
>
>People always look for loopholes in rules. "Meat" was defined to be
>the flesh of warm-blooded, land-dwelling animals. Hence, fish on
>Fridays.
>
>Weird exceptions have been made. In some parts of Michigan, muskrat
>is ok to eat on Fridays during Lent. Other exceptions include the
>puffin and that animal that builds dams, which I shall not name here.

Do you mean the animal that's very common where Sheldon lives?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 1:34:12 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Weird exceptions have been made. In some parts of Michigan, muskrat
> is ok to eat on Fridays during Lent. Other exceptions include the
> puffin and that animal that builds dams, which I shall not name here.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

What? You mean "humans?" You meat eaters are way out of control!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/15/2018 7:26 PM, Je�us wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 17:48:16 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> > > I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on
> > > Friday but fish was okay. Just guessing!

> > Yes, you could be right Jill.
> >

> I don't really know what cshenk (Carol) was thinking when she said it
> was middle ages European. <shrug>
>
> Jill

Thats when the catholics and other folks along that line came up with
it. They were in Europe and they were generally post-age of Rome
(Middle ages) when the idea came up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 20:22:47 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 11/15/2018 7:26 PM, Je?us wrote:

>> > Yes, you could be right Jill.
>> >

>> I don't really know what cshenk (Carol) was thinking when she said it
>> was middle ages European. <shrug>
>>
>> Jill

>Thats when the catholics and other folks along that line came up with
>it. They were in Europe and they were generally post-age of Rome
>(Middle ages) when the idea came up.

Post-age of Rome... she's kinda cute, isn't she?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2018 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I think that harks back to old world Catholism.Â* No meat on Friday but
> fish was okay.Â* Just guessing!
>
> Jill

The purpose is to do a little sacrifice. You can't have a hot dog so
instead you have a lobster for penance. I wondered about that in 4th
grade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 21:04:31 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/15/2018 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I think that harks back to old world Catholism.* No meat on Friday but
>> fish was okay.* Just guessing!
>>
>> Jill

>The purpose is to do a little sacrifice. You can't have a hot dog so
>instead you have a lobster for penance. I wondered about that in 4th
>grade.

I don't think many Catholics in those days were able to replace meat
with lobster once a week. And the most conservative palates have a
problem with all things fishy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 11/15/2018 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday but
> fish was okay. Just guessing!
>
> Jill

The purpose is to do a little sacrifice. You can't have a hot dog so
instead you have a lobster for penance. I wondered about that in 4th
grade.

==

Oh yes. I used to love Fridays for my fish and chips)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2018 9:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/15/2018 5:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I think that harks back to old world Catholism.Â* No meat on Friday but
>> fish was okay.Â* Just guessing!
>>
>> Jill

> The purpose is to do a little sacrifice.Â* You can't have a hot dog so
> instead you have a lobster for penance.Â* I wondered about that in 4th
> grade.

I guess that's the purpose. I wish I'd had lobster with drawn butter or
some nice steamed crab for "penance" on Fridays in the 4th grade. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-17 11:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/15/2018 9:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> The purpose is to do a little sacrifice.Â* You can't have a hot dog so
>> instead you have a lobster for penance.Â* I wondered about that in 4th
>> grade.

> I guess that's the purpose.Â* I wish I'd had lobster with drawn butter or
> some nice steamed crab for "penance" on Fridays in the 4th grade. LOL

There was a time when lobster was poor people's food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2018 9:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-11-17 11:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 11/15/2018 9:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> The purpose is to do a little sacrifice.Â* You can't have a hot dog so
>>> instead you have a lobster for penance.Â* I wondered about that in 4th
>>> grade.

>> I guess that's the purpose.Â* I wish I'd had lobster with drawn butter
>> or some nice steamed crab for "penance" on Fridays in the 4th grade. LOL
>>

> There was a time when lobster was poor people's food.

Only if you lived on the coast!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-18 7:31 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-11-17 11:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 11/15/2018 9:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> The purpose is to do a little sacrifice.Â* You can't have a hot dog so
>>> instead you have a lobster for penance.Â* I wondered about that in 4th
>>> grade.

>> I guess that's the purpose.Â* I wish I'd had lobster with drawn butter
>> or some nice steamed crab for "penance" on Fridays in the 4th grade. LOL
>>

> There was a time when lobster was poor people's food.

And oysters!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/14/2018 11:37 PM, Je�us wrote:

> > > I find it amusing when people pretend 'Fish is not meat'. It;s a
> > > middl ages European thing that the rest of the world doesn't buy
> > > into.

> > 'European thing'. Umm, OK.
> >

> I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday
> but fish was okay. Just guessing!
>
> Jill

Such is the take that most historians have on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2018 9:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> 'European thing'. Umm, OK.
>>>

>> I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday
>> but fish was okay. Just guessing!
>>
>> Jill

> Such is the take that most historians have on it.

Such was the take of the Catholic church until fairly recently. It's
not all that long ago "meatless Friday" was done away with. Since I'm
not a Catholic I don't remember the year but it was within the last two
decades. It's no longer considered a "You'll go to Hell" thing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 23:22:45 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/16/2018 9:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday
>>> but fish was okay. Just guessing!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Such is the take that most historians have on it.
>>

>Such was the take of the Catholic church until fairly recently. It's
>not all that long ago "meatless Friday" was done away with. Since I'm
>not a Catholic I don't remember the year but it was within the last two
>decades. It's no longer considered a "You'll go to Hell" thing.

It probably never was.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brice" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 23:22:45 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Such is the take that most historians have on it.
>>>

>>Such was the take of the Catholic church until fairly recently. It's
>>not all that long ago "meatless Friday" was done away with. Since I'm
>>not a Catholic I don't remember the year but it was within the last two
>>decades. It's no longer considered a "You'll go to Hell" thing.

> It probably never was.

Nope, and it's been at least 30 years. Of course they cooked better meat in
the USA. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 11/16/2018 9:19 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I think that harks back to old world Catholism. No meat on Friday
>>> but fish was okay. Just guessing!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Such is the take that most historians have on it.
>>

>Such was the take of the Catholic church until fairly recently. It's
>not all that long ago "meatless Friday" was done away with. Since I'm
>not a Catholic I don't remember the year but it was within the last two
>decades. It's no longer considered a "You'll go to Hell" thing.

It probably never was.

==

We did have meatless friday but we were never told we would go to hell if we
didn't stick to it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-17 11:22 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/16/2018 9:19 PM, cshenk wrote:

>>> I think that harks back to old world Catholism.Â* No meat on Friday
>>> but fish was okay.Â* Just guessing!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Such is the take that most historians have on it.
>>

> Such was the take of the Catholic church until fairly recently.Â* It's
> not all that long ago "meatless Friday" was done away with.Â* Since I'm
> not a Catholic I don't remember the year but it was within the last two
> decades.Â* It's no longer considered a "You'll go to Hell" thing.

It's funny how religions work. Some have faith in their religion
because the stories, the teachings, rituals and rules have been around
for such a long time. The last few decades have seen major changes.
Catholics can have meat on Friday now. They have a more lenient view on
birth control and the use of condoms. Churches that have condemned
homosexuality for centuries now have *** clergy and they offer same sex
marriages. Brides are no longer expected to be virgins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:20:59 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Jeßus wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 01:25:36 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Some veggies take a more practical view and consider the gelatin
>> > content is only nominal and eat it. Others treat microscopic specs
>> > of meat as a serious contaminant of everything they come in contact
>> > with. Oh, did I say my friend has OCD in which contamination fears
>> > are commonplace.

>> And of course, there are many forms of vegetarianism, along with
>> differing reasons for same. Some just don't eat meat - but will eat
>> fish, eggs, or dairy.

>I find it amusing when people pretend 'Fish is not meat'. It;s a middl
>ages European thing that the rest of the world doesn't buy into.

Nobody buys into it, silly. But next time I have a question about
Europe, I'll know who to ask