Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner for friends

Our closest friends celebrated their anniversary recently so we decided to
make a nice dinner to help them celebrate This was a very elegant meal, but
most of the prep was done earlier in the day. This made for easy serving and
more time with our guests. All the prep work was done by noon.

Cocktails:
Gin & tonic with a glug of Hpnotiq (contains cognac, orange, passion fruit
and tropical juices)

Appetizer:
Shrimp cocktail. Boiled the shrimp in Old Bay seasoning. Chilled, peeled,
served in a desert cup on a bed of lettuce with slices of lemon and lime

Soup:
Cantaloupe soup
This was very simple and was made hours earlier. Cut up a whole cantaloupe.
Add one cup of plain yogurt, one cup of sour cream. Process until smooth.
We chilled the crystal bowls. At serving time, just portion the soup,
garnish with raspberries, mint leaf, and a dollop of whipped cream.

Main course:
Grilled tenderloin of beef, corn, potatoes, tomato and mozzarella salad
Lambrusco
After dinner: Lemonchello

Earlier in the day I grilled the corn until the sugars in the kernels
started to brown a bit. After cooled enough to handle, I cut the corn off
the cob. In a dish, added a few pats of butter and some smoked mozzarella
cheese. At serving time, it was just microwaved for about 6 minutes.

The potatoes were nuked for a few minutes, then grilled.

The tenderloin was seasoned earlier in the day. I took it out of the
refrigerator about an hour before cooking, then grilled to rare. Let it
rest 10 minutes, cut and served.

Dessert:
Chocolate cake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 13 Aug 2006 07:27:11p, Edwin Pawlowski meant to say...

> Our closest friends celebrated their anniversary recently so we decided
> to make a nice dinner to help them celebrate This was a very elegant
> meal, but most of the prep was done earlier in the day. This made for
> easy serving and more time with our guests. All the prep work was done
> by noon.
>
> Cocktails:
> Gin & tonic with a glug of Hpnotiq (contains cognac, orange, passion
> fruit and tropical juices)
>
> Appetizer:
> Shrimp cocktail. Boiled the shrimp in Old Bay seasoning. Chilled,
> peeled, served in a desert cup on a bed of lettuce with slices of lemon
> and lime
>
> Soup:
> Cantaloupe soup
> This was very simple and was made hours earlier. Cut up a whole
> cantaloupe. Add one cup of plain yogurt, one cup of sour cream. Process
> until smooth. We chilled the crystal bowls. At serving time, just
> portion the soup, garnish with raspberries, mint leaf, and a dollop of
> whipped cream.
>
> Main course:
> Grilled tenderloin of beef, corn, potatoes, tomato and mozzarella salad
> Lambrusco
> After dinner: Lemonchello
>
> Earlier in the day I grilled the corn until the sugars in the kernels
> started to brown a bit. After cooled enough to handle, I cut the corn
> off the cob. In a dish, added a few pats of butter and some smoked
> mozzarella cheese. At serving time, it was just microwaved for about 6
> minutes.
>
> The potatoes were nuked for a few minutes, then grilled.
>
> The tenderloin was seasoned earlier in the day. I took it out of the
> refrigerator about an hour before cooking, then grilled to rare. Let it
> rest 10 minutes, cut and served.
>
> Dessert:
> Chocolate cake

Ed, that looks like a beautiful, original, and delicious meal, with a lot
of forethought. I absolutely must try the canteloup soup very soon!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Any wire cut to length will be too short.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ed, that looks like a beautiful, original, and delicious meal, with a lot
> of forethought. I absolutely must try the canteloup soup very soon!
>
> --

Thanks. This one was nice and sweet, but you can add a little sugar if not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 02:47:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ed, that looks like a beautiful, original, and delicious meal, with a lot
>> of forethought. I absolutely must try the canteloup soup very soon!
>>
>> --

>Thanks. This one was nice and sweet, but you can add a little sugar if not.

I agree with Wayne's sentiments. That soup sound TDF, I will be
giving it a try soon. Your friends are lucky to have a friend like
you!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> Our closest friends celebrated their anniversary recently so we decided to
> make a nice dinner to help them celebrate This was a very elegant meal, but
> most of the prep was done earlier in the day. This made for easy serving and
> more time with our guests. All the prep work was done by noon.

<snip>

What a delightful dinner indeed! Sounds like a warm weather menu worth
keeping. Your friends must have been thrilled.

Cheers
Bronwyn
Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 02:47:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Ed, that looks like a beautiful, original, and delicious meal, with a
>>> lot
>>> of forethought. I absolutely must try the canteloup soup very soon!
>>>
>>> --

>>Thanks. This one was nice and sweet, but you can add a little sugar if
>>not.

> I agree with Wayne's sentiments. That soup sound TDF, I will be
> giving it a try soon. Your friends are lucky to have a friend like
> you!
>
> TammyM

===========

I've posted a couple of other versions of the soup... I can repost if
anyone's interested or doesn't feel like Googling for them...

--
Cyndi (again)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 21 Aug 2006 04:50:33p, Syssi meant to say...

> "TammyM" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 02:47:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
>> wrote:

>>>Thanks. This one was nice and sweet, but you can add a little sugar if
>>>not.

>> I agree with Wayne's sentiments. That soup sound TDF, I will be
>> giving it a try soon. Your friends are lucky to have a friend like you!
>>
>> TammyM

> ===========
>
> I've posted a couple of other versions of the soup... I can repost if
> anyone's interested or doesn't feel like Googling for them...

I'd like to have those, Cyndi, if you don't mind posting.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner for friends// Cantaloupe Soups

--
Cyndi (again)
Wayne Boatwright"and others wrote in message

>>> I agree with Wayne's sentiments. That soup sound TDF, I will be
>>> giving it a try soon. Your friends are lucky to have a friend like you!
>>>
>>> TammyM

>> ===========
>>
>> I've posted a couple of other versions of the soup... I can repost if
>> anyone's interested or doesn't feel like Googling for them...

> I'd like to have those, Cyndi, if you don't mind posting.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

========

Here ya go Bubba (all 3 are terrific):

==========

Chilled Melon Soup // Cooking Light Cookbook

3 c cubed Honeydew Melon
3 c cubed Cantaloupe
1/4 c Rum or Vodka (opt)
1/4 c Sugar, divided
3 TBSP Fresh Lime Juice, divided
3/4 c sliced Strawberries

Puree Honeydew and place in a bowl.

Puree Cantaloupe and place into another bowl.

Add 2 TBSP Rum or Vodka, 2 TBSP Sugar, and 1 TBSP Lime Juice into
each bowl of melon; stir well, cover and chill.

Puree Strawberries until smooth. Add remaining Lime Juice and
Sugar; chill.

To serve, pour 1/2 cup of Cantaloupe mixture into 4 individual
serving bowls and then pour 1/2 cup of Honeydew mixture in the
center of Cantaloupe mixture in each bowl. Dollop each serving
w/ 2 TBSP Strawberry mixture; swirl decoratively using a wooden
pick.

Cal: 180 Fat: 0.5 g Pro: 1.7 g Carb: 34.6 g
Fiber: 2.1 g Sodium: 22 mg Calcium: 23 mg

============

Melon Soup
- Anonymous

1 Cantaloupe pared, seeded & cubed (2 #)
1/2 Honeydew pared, seeded & cubed (2#)
2/3 c sweet white wine
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
Chopped mint for garnish

Reserve a few melon cubes for garnish. In food processor or
blender container, in batches, puree cantaloupe, honeydew, wine
and cardamom; chill until ready to serve. At serving time, skim
foam from top of soup; pour into soup bowls. Garnish with melon
pieces and chopped mint.

============

Santa Fe Melon Soup

1 large cantaloupe (about 4 pounds), peeled, seeded and chopped
3 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup dry white wine or white grape juice
2 tsp grated orange peel
Fresh mint leaves

1. Place cantaloupe, sugar and 2 tablespoons mint in food
processor workbowl fitted with steel blade or in blender
container. Cover and process until smooth.

2. Stir together cantaloupe, sour cream, wine and orange peel.
Garnish with mint leaves.

1 Serving: 115 calories (35 calories from fat); 4 g fat (2 g
saturated); 15 mg cholesterol; 20 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate (1
g dietary fiber); 2 g protein.